One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was hoping to hear some feedback about the ones I posted since I drew them myself. I'm especially proud of the flying castle one
Vlazreus -

I wasn't able to click on them to see them big-sized, but they looked cool to me, especially the one that was done in blue pencil (?).

TM
This post's theme was nature, and I went strictly with rivers and valleys.

Rivers of Tears by donsgirl
conceptart.org - eow 49 by yanimator
Banff by Choedan-Kal
Hidden Valleys by sandpiper6
Rivers End by KnowYouAre
Island of 1000 Rivers by armands
Rivers of Gold by Photo-Joker
Where the Rivers Meet by 00AngelicDevil00
Land of Rivers by lindbalk
Misty by feainne
Dance of the Giants by 'alyn
Templar Retreat by nelson808
So, another decent resource site would appear to be conceptart.org.  I only browsed for a couple of minutes but I found some nice work.  Until next time, keep those ideas flowing.
Of ships and the sea...

Inspired by the excellent La Rochelle that DragonsWrath posted in #79, I looked for pictures about ships.  There is a common theme of fleets of ships, so I pulled some of them, but tried to find some variety too.

Sea Dragon by Jared1481

The Badlands pt.2 by DVD-PUPPET

Arrival of the ships by KellaDayne

ship ship ships by Abuze

A Floating Township by hesir

ships by louiscypher67

The Storm Keeper by wolfmorphine

Sea Battle by Owll

Ships by Geison

Voyage by pixelwitch

Ships at sea by Oujoushu

Port Antonio by DIGITAL-DOM

DESCOBRIMENTOS by Grafik

War by Asynja

Viking Fleet by Loren86

frozen ships by yunhyunjung

Susan Constant by Radojavor

Edit: Remember that the links go to larger size versions of these pictures at the source sites.  I may break the mold and do some pictures of villain-types next time around.  Also, if you want me to provide some commentary on why I choose these I will, but I prefer to let the imagination run wild.
Cripes, that's a lot of ships, and they all look awesome!

Here's some random stuff I found recently

Beach Invasion

This is technically a modern scene, but it's just too epic not to share

Besides, ships could catch fire back then too, so it still works!

Badland Oasis

Same as the other, except the modernness is even more subtle.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Cavern City

I'm strongly reminded of the Morlocks from the X-men cartoons.
This is prefect for a scene I've got in mind for an urban campaign, so into my art bucket it goes!

City of Stilagtights

This honestly made my head hurt, but I can see what the artist was trying to depict.
I think he picked a bad angle, or should have done the shadows better (IE: finished it)

Anyway, it's a city carved into the sides of a cliff face.  This isn't completely unique, except this cliff face has a *dramatically* negative slope, meaning the buildings are actually hanging by the roof.

I'll try to find another picture of this concept, because the idea is made of win.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Boat Cliff

This instantly reminded me of Waterworld, and set all sorts of thoughts tumbling around my brain...

This next artist has a bunch of great landscapes, across several generes and styles.
I suggest you check out his gallery, because I'd kill my browser if I tried to post everything!

I've got time for one more post this weekend, so here's aother artist I found.
The first painting (forest village) was the first I saw, and I love its simplicity and natural integration with the forest. 
I can't help thinking those trees are Giant Redwoods, which are amazing enough by themselves.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving.  I'm thankful that I passed the California bar on the first try.  Hope you all have had time to reflect on the blessings in your life.

This post is mostly villains, and a few outstanding works I found in pursuit of villains.

The End by ertacaltinoz
40,000 Hits aka Midna teaser by ThePrincessZelda
Queen Mab by Aegils
Bad Boy Phase by deskridge
Arthas Menethil, the Lich King by pulyx
Emperor's Swords Zarus by luffie
A knight must never fear by ShadowUmbre
Show

For the record, the knight in this is, well, lame.  But the dragon hunting him concept is awesome.

Shyamal version 2 by moondaughterstory
Yvathis by Drayok
archer by fo3the13th
Good vs Evil by FeathersinFlight
Fade to Black by Rahll
(PG) BADA** KICKA** SEXYA** DEMON by cheeseboy18193
Sketch 00 by leopardsnow
Emperor Jaoz - Character Sheet by octogone
Hawk by chichapie
Armor Concept D - Serpent King by Xyrga
And then here are a couple of other impressive pieces that came up during my searches:
The Scout by RainfeatherPearl
THE COLUMBIAN'S LAIR by LordoftheBling-XXL
Good and Bad by Dabbaghi

Thanks all for your patience between updates.  Next time I'll be back to something a little more traditional, maybe looking for medieval looking inns and taverns and city scenes.
How about taking a party through this labyrinth? 
[Sblock] [sblock/]
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."
Do you have a larger version of that?  Or a link to one?
You're in a tavern one evening...

Well, I'm back in the swing of things after the holidays and such, and I bear pictures of the quintessential D&D experience.  Also, I think I've discovered the full use of spoiler tags, so formatting will hopefully be slightly different.  We'll see how it goes.  Let's start from the outside and move in.

There are thousands more tavern and inn pictures out there, as well as close-ups of signs with great names for fantasy taverns.  Catch you all the next time...
This thread is full of inspirational stuff. It encouraged me to run an adventure in a fantasy India (Hindaea): I simply converted the monsters and locations of a published adventure using copious pictures from the internet to make my players feel the exotic atmosphere.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Cool stuff; I especially like that Eagle-god statue with the bridges at the sholders and knees.

I've been out of the DnD loop for a while now, but am starting to check in again...

Since the last time I was here, I've found an artist with a very strange tendency to render landscapes with different lighting effects.  Midday, dusk, and night, for example.

I've been curious about trying something like this myself, but never managed to get the colors right (I was colorizing existing works).

Anyway, this is such a uniqueperspective I simply had to share.  Besides just showing a landscape at different times, these could be used to show landscapes before or after a major event, or on the other side of a planar crossing (such as entering the Shadowfell).

Note: This artist also does a few NSFW nude pieces, so watch yourself.

This thread is amazing! I had no idea it existed. This should be stickied. Thanks for all the pictures links, you have improved my D&D sessions exponentially. Thanks!
I like this thread very, very much. Can I please ask of OP to compile all the pictures in pages 2 and 3, just like you did in page one? I think it helps most viewers a lot =)
Wow!  How time flies when you're neglecting your hobbies.  A whole month or more since the last post.  I don't have a theme for these pictures.  They're simply things I've found as I've been wandering around.  Some of them are scenes, some creatures, some people...

Well, until next time my friends.  I'd like to promise more frequent updates, but I'm a realist.

Edit: Also, just was reading about the Massing Undead Army...turns out it's from a D&D book!  So no promises that this is new material, just that it's interesting.

Great thread! 

Below are links to my various Picasa galleries where I keep cool fantasy (and a few sci-fi) images I have come across in my online wanderings. 

The galleries automatically update as I save new images to my computer, which is nice.  The way it's set up, the newest pictures should be grouped at the bottom/end of the list so it's easy to look and see if anything new catches your eye.  For now I've loosely categorized them for easier browsing.  I may go in and narrow it down further into gender, race, etc but it may take a while.

People I  |  People II
Misc. Items
Monsters
Scenics

I run a home Dark Sun campaign, and these last five folders contain images with some "Athasian" element that caught my eye.  Some things in there are clearly setting-specific, but there are just as many I saved because of a brutal-looking sword I liked or something.  Some of them I can't even really remember why I saved them there. As a result, you'll probably find useful images in these folders even if you're not a Dark Sun fan.

Dark Sun
Brom
Dark Sun Characters
Ul'Athra and Ul'Athrids

Inline image 3 Inline image 4       
 MISC.FANTASY/GAMING IMAGES: VOL. 1 | VOL. 2 | VOL. 3 | VOL. 4 #Fantasy-NPC DeviantArt Gallery
mgbeach: Glad to see you made it over here from CharDev and the character portrait thread.  Thanks for all your hard work there, and thanks for sharing your resources with us here.
Hard to believe a month has flown by.  Here are some gems I've picked up over the last few weeks.

Remember to click on the pictures to go to the original artwork.  Some of them are available in higher resolutions at the site.  Also, check around in the artists' galleries to see if there are other inspiring works.

I suppose I should add that all pictures remain the property of their copyright holders, presumably the artists posting them online.
Another month already...wow.  Here goes:

Once again, all images remain the property of their copyright holders, presumably the artists posting them online.  If any copyright holder objects to the usage of their work in one of my  posts, please contact me here (or at deviantart) and I will remove the work.

I'll post again sometime when I've got the chance.
I know what you're all thinking: he's posting within a week!  That's right all you art fans.  I'm hoping to do smaller updates more frequently, because I find it's always nice to either have that one piece to show your players exactly what the scene looks like or to have the one piece that inspires you.

So without further fanfare, I present you with pointy things.

Into the Unknown by kerembeyit

kerembeyit is a regular contributor to WotC for their various products, so I try not to bring his work over.  But this was just so great, and I thought you might like a link to his page.

Hope you enjoyed, and please, feel free to contribute.
So for those of you wondering where this thread went...here it is.  I had been unemployed and got a job, and have had very little timem what with adapting to work and all.  But here is an update, and I'll try to do this a little more regularly.

Thanks for looking and keep them images flowing.
Beautiful pics, and wonderful ideas. Thanks for the ideas.
this thread has helped lead me to many deviant artist with great stuff to use in my homebrew
[spoiler Yronimos Whateley's Dreadful Scrawling]

I hope it's not in horribly bad taste for me to post one I'd "painted". 

This picture was made using the Quake game engine (the tallest buildings are about waist-high to the Quake Guy), MS Paint, a program that generates fake starfield pictures (Universe Starfield Generator), and about a half-dozen other graphics editors.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Roerich's Himlayas]

Nikolai Roerich's strange paintings of the Himalayas were one of H.P. Lovecraft's inspirations....
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Yves Tanguy: Infinite Divisibility]

I've always had a soft spot for Yves Tanguy's bizarre not-landscapes. 

Most seem like they would make fine illustrations of other planes.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Underdark Illustration]

After seeing the illustrations from the 4th Edition Underdark source book, I couldn't resist buying it.  Some beautiful stuff in there!

[/spoiler]
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
[spoiler Angkor Wat, Cambodia]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Mesa Verde, Colorado]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Forestiere Underground Gardens, California]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Machu Picchu, Peru]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
bump
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

Made this in terragen.
Also, a good old-fashioned bump.

Adventuring is a sport. The winners are those who don't get killed.

Cavalier: "Hey you, whatever your name is. Ya got any salt?" Sogor: "Sogor." Cavalier: "No, not sugar. Salt! Salt!... Who puts sugar on potatoes?"

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920