One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
Designing homebrew campaigns is lots of work.

Describing all the details you have pictured in your head, and trying to get across the particular feel of this setting, or the terrain features of that region.

I love lurking the interwebs in search of inspiring landscape portraits, which I can show to the players to help evoke the setting.  The right picture can encapsulate lots of concepts in a single glance, and often times I get ideas from the images I find.

There are lots of other threads that focus on sharing pictures of characters, but I don't recall seeing any focused on location.  An understandable oversight, but one that's easy to fix.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, I challenge the community to help me find over one billion words worth of vivid descriptive art.

Go!

Compiled Downloads below
Page 1 - Images 0001 - 0123

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I'll get things started with some of my favorites.

Click the image for a link to the source and, in some cases, a more high-resolution image.

Waterfall Cathedral

This is a beautiful painting, and one of the first I found.

The scale is impressive, and the cathedral looks like it could be Eladrin in design.  I speciffically rerouted a river to go near the Eladrin's homelands so I could work this beauty in.  ;)

Waterfall_Castle_matte_art_by_fstarno.jpg

The Mountains of Dimmill

This is kind of a quiet picture, but the scale is impressive and it truly looks like an entire mountain chain fades into the distance.

The_Mountains_of_Dimmill_by_theflickerees.jpg

Island Relativity

Earthmotes, Levistones, Sky Islands, or whatever you call them, they sure are pretty.

Island_Relativity_by_Rahll.jpg

Mist Valley

Another piece with some impressive scale.  It also looks like a bright and cheery place, which is nice to see on ocasion.

Mist_Valley_by_JJasso.jpg

Environment: Dune

Whats this?  A thriving city in the middle of a wasteland, or an ancient ruin just a shadow of its former glory?

In my campaign, the answer is ruins... 

Environment__DUNE_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Five more!

Grand Castle Interior

Again, the scale to this piece is quite impressive.  Apparently I'm a sucker for that.

With the amount of sunlight streaming through the windows, this could easily be a temple.

Study_Of_Light_by_Radojavor.jpg

Ruins on a Hill

Well, they look like ruins to me.
There's another in the background too.

The_background_painting_by_AndreeWallin.jpg

Mountains

Here's a slightly moodier piece.  A waterfall in the mountains, with a rainstorm on the way.

Mountains_by_tiger1313.jpg

Canyons

I'm a fan of the almost-photorealistic style of art, but I do appreciate some of the more abstract styles.

Some weird canyon shapes.  Reminds me of the Badlands.

Canyon_concept_by_highdarktemplar.jpg

Castle & Sound

A white coastal city overlooking a sound.  I think.  Maybe its fog...
Great view either way. 

View____by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg

good lord, these are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I don't have anything to offer to this thread, but I hope it keeps going.

Where do you find those pictures?

Where do you find those pictures?

Looks like deviantart, at least for some of them. I agree, these are BA man! I will definitely be using some of them in my upcoming game. I was planning on having the first run in Flamekeep but I think I will be using the waterfall cathedral instead!
And then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
I do not run 4e but I respect it and use many mechanic ideas for my own games. I am one of those players who can see merit in all editions and I do not see any reason for edition bashing. Currently reading: Boneshaker

Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Now I NEED a color printer to enhance my gameplay Surprised

These are awesome.

Please, put up more Laughing
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I have an account on Deviant Art, so that's where I'm looking. 
Other sites exist, but I don't have time to check everything (and who would!)

Also, Jetshield, if you could please credit the artist or provide a link to their profile somewhere that would be greatly appreciated.  This will help others follow up on pictures that interest them, and ensure the artists themselves get proper recognition.
Thanks!

I'm glad someone finds this useful, so I'll just add another batch to the mix.  ;)

Dinotopia Castle

I'm not sure why, but this castle immediately makes me think of the Dinotopia books I read as a kid.

castle_by_dennis_yeung.jpg

Waterfall City

Another waterfall & building picture, but this one looks like a city was built on Niagara Falls or something.  I can just imagine the ever-present mists that must engulf the city...

Waterfall_city_by_artbytheo.jpg

Dark Citadel

A dark and foreboding room, possibly in a library.
The cloaked figure gliding away is pretty creepy as well.

Dark_Citadel_by_highdarktemplar.jpg

Harvest Time

This is more of a scene than a landscape, but that bramble-elemental thing sure looks like trouble.  Adventurers needed!

harvest_time_by_Radojavor.jpg

Desert Mountains

Some more impressive Badlands, this time with some ancient ruins in the background.

Speedpaint__Desert_mountains_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

And, since I have the links open already, one more batch...

Valley of Spires

Another cartoonish piece.  This one reminds me of the Mario games.  Its like this is the naturesacpe of what the game tried to show...

Valley_2_by_highdarktemplar.jpg

River Gateway

This reminds me of those giant statues from Lord of the Rings.  It looks pretty cool, and I'll try to find a place for it in my campaign.

The_gate_of_gothic_by_Sedeptra.jpg

Thunderstorm

Some more Levistones, this time with lightning.  Looks like it could be in the Elemental Chaos.

Thunderstorm_by_Sedeptra.jpg

For the Clan of Wallace

Waterfalls and ruins, what else could you ask for!

For_the_Clan_of_Wallace_by_phatpuppy.jpg

Also, Jetshield, if you could please credit the artist or provide a link to their profile somewhere that would be greatly appreciated.  This will help others follow up on pictures that interest them, and ensure the artists themselves get proper recognition.
Thanks!

I would love to. Unfortunately those four images have been in my wallpaper collection for quite a while now. I couldn't tell you where I got them if you passed an Intimidation check. All I know is they were on some free desktop wallpaper site.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
OK, fair enough. 

Loving some of these other pics already, by the way

Oh noes!  A week without a reply!

Alethea (The Sun Inside)

This piece is very odd, but its too cool not to share.

I plan on using it to set up a skill challenge/trap

Alethea_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

Shadow Zone

Same astist as above.  This guy really likes 'shopping planets or something, so if that's your thing check out the rest of his work.

Shadow_Zone_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

Avalon II (Misty Jungle, Ruins in Background)

Wow.  Whatever made those ruins must have been... largeish.
That's actually supposed to be grass, but it looked like a jungle to me when I first saw it!

Avalon_II_by_Karezoid.jpg

Waterfall Door

What an excellent enterance to a monestary this would make!

Waterfall_Doorway_by_arcipello.jpg

By the way, does anyone prefer the pictures in sblocks over straight-up pictures?

I prefer sblocks, so the page doesn't jump around while loading.  It makes scrolling to the bottom and STAYING there easier.
But they hide the pictures and make it harder to scroll down a page quickly.

Consequences!  :O

Anyway, just figured I'd ask...

Three pictures from a new-ish artist I found on DA.  I like lots of his stuff, but he hasn't loaded much yet.  +Watch!

Tree of Life

This looks very Elven.  I love it.

PS: Levistones in the background.  Bonus!  (I have no idea why I like those so much)

random_stuff_by_Tonyholmsten.jpg

Arcane Gate Opens

Splashy magic?  Check
Epic Scale?  Check
Me like?  Check

and_the_gate_opens___by_Tonyholmsten.jpg

Frozen Geyser

Well, that's new.

frozen_geyser_by_Tonyholmsten.jpg

Chinese Monastery

I've always been impressed by the Old World's ability to just add more buildings on top of other buildings when the space runs out. 
Everything in settings like that is just so different than the giant sprawling complexes Americans love so much.

Chinese_Monastery_Concept_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

Walking in Sand and Snow

Someone looks lost...

Walking_in_Sand_and_Snow_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

Hall of the Dragon Mist

This looks like part of the Great Wall of China, but I know its not.

Hall_of_the_Dragon_Mist_by_Suirebit.jpg

Immortal Guardians

Again, I'm a sucker for landscapes with nothing but inhospitable landscape. 
It makes me feel very small and insigniffigant, which is kind of weird.

fed179255d550fc5a8554a6abd361b76.jpg

Desert Pearl (Oasis)

Amazing how anything can cling to life in such dangerous landscapes, but there it is.  Given a source of water, life practically explodes from the ground.

Our planet is such a resilient place. 

d368f609c6c119c6509a36691272ff28.jpg

God of Thunder

Someone's pissed

God_of_Thunder_by_Suirebit.jpg

Im going to looks for some to add when I have time. I feel bad cos I know Im going to use some lol.
Im already planning on using the Waterfall Cathedral as my climactic ending in the game I'm running tomorrow. I am soo glad Flamekeep is so close to a body of water.
And then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
I do not run 4e but I respect it and use many mechanic ideas for my own games. I am one of those players who can see merit in all editions and I do not see any reason for edition bashing. Currently reading: Boneshaker
Go to Google Images and enter 'Fantasy landscapes'.  You can spend days there.

FWIW, I prefer to avoid the sblocks here.  I'd like to post some that I've grabbed, but would rather not repeat what you've shown so far.

Good work.
This thread is a great resource, lets keep it going!

Skull Cave

this reminds me of the island in King Kong.
e7c903b837dd5869.jpg

Cathedral

Good for interrior scenes in temples and such.
b2dba1967dae997b00ffa07ec261fa8d.jpg

Natural Stone Gate

A portal to the astral sea perhaps?
6c87df665bfc9a1a42429fe28ac8748f.jpg

Forest

I find this one especially gorgeous. Good for setting the atmosphere of a sanguine forest.
cbdcb86039442bd564066c5cdf55d77a.jpg
~
And I got too busy to post for another.... month! 

I'll try to post another 5 pictures every weekend or so...

Astral Sea

I really like the concept that the Astral Sea looks like a nebula.  Mostly because they look awesome and beautiful like this.  Yay!

Celestial_Dream_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

Black Hole (AKA Doomsday Weapon)

And on a different note, it looks like someone broke reality.  Oops.

Black_Hole_Future_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

For the love of god, keep posting and make this a sticky! This is up there with DDI. Thank you so much, very good idea! I feel, quiet inspired.

As you wish!

(tumbled down hill)

Right, anyway...

Megalopolis

I've been staying away from sci-fi looking art (this is supposed to be DnD), but I really like this one.  A bit of variety is a good thing.

Megalopolis_by_tarrzan.jpg

Lost World

More pretty waterfalls.  Also, a Mayan-looking temple.  Temples are cool.

Lost_World___Temple_of_Nature_by_Suirebit.jpg

Mayan City

Keeping with the Mayan theme, here's another, followed by some Fun History Facts. 

Mistikhan_City_by_JJasso.jpg

One of the South American cultures (I think it was the Mayans) had running water.  They would tap into springs and rivers flowing downhill, channel it into a stone pipe, direct it throughout their buildings, then narrow the pipes to generate water pressure and make fountins and such.

Oh, and they did this with NO fancy tools.  Basically stone-age technology.  They believed the gods appreciated the physical labor put into their temples, so they purposly did things the hardest way physically possible.

For more on the ancient engineering feats of the Ancient (and modern) world, track down a History Channel special hosted by Peter Weller called "Engineering An Empire."  I rented the DvDs from the library and I loved it.  Lots of cool ideas, concepts, and factoids for history goobers like me.

Now if only I could keep all those details straight (I get the names of cultures confused, so this may have been about the Aztecs, or those two factoids might have been to two different cultures.  They were South American though!  I swear!  :paranoid

Cloud City

An aging city high in the mountains.  Could be a floating city.  Magic's cool like that. 

Cloud_Lake_City_by_JJasso.jpg

Harbor at Dusk

OK, not quite dusk, but my vocab is failing me tonight. 
Some nice lighting effects, though I think they are slightly overdone.  Still, it looks like something from LotR, which I like.

Harbor_by_Sedeptra.jpg

I'm back!

Weird... tree... plateaus?

This is unique, that's for sure.

How_i_wish_a_wondeland_by_rakkin23.jpg

Jagged Mountains

Same artist as above, but these two are the only 'relevant to DnD' pieces.  Not much there yet, but he may be another one to watch.

Also, I think I said this before, but the sheer variety of people on these artist website continues to amaze me.  People from around the world... just sharing art.  Weird when you think about it.

Bizzare_landscape_by_rakkin23.jpg

Phoenix Planet Rises From The Ashes & Squarion In Space

These next two are both by Lemmy-X, who likes to mess with planets floating in weird space-like backgrounds.  Many of which I like and some of which I find weird and... too random I suppose. 

The gems like this first one are worth the hit-and-miss if you ask me.  Not saying the other stuff is bad, it just too abstract for my tastes.  Anyway, his art all follows themes like this so I won't link too many directly, but if you like this kind of stuff just see his gallery

Generation_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

Drifter_in_Time_by_Lemmy_X.jpg

More Photoshopped Mountains

I've shared lots of artificial stuff recently, so here's something more grounded in reality:

cfb95a7914ca2d965e1e4800db7b6e3c.jpg

Jungle of Drooling Statues

OK, dumb title (which I made up, not the artist), but I am trying to give these sblock titles something descriptive for later.  Jungle # 5 isn't really that helpful in the long run.

Anyway, the lizard-inspired carvings caught my eye.

Darkvoid_Jungle_by_JJasso.jpg

Camelot-ish Castle With Rainbow

I find this one slightly cheezy in an over-the-top-oozing-with-goodness way.  But, hey, its something different.  Maybe this is where that evil party can finally go hog-wild and start a war against the Care Bears and My Little Ponies.

Island_2_by_Flobelebelebobele.jpg

Fortress of Dros Delnoch (AKA: This Is Rohan!)

I couldn't resist! 

Yah, good luck storming that castle.

The_Fortress_Of_Dros_Delnoch_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

The Bridge Inn

This piece just glows with personality.  I've been meaning to share it for a while.

The_Bridge_Inn.jpg

Sand Castles Of Epicness

I didn't know it was possible to make a sand castle this awesome.  I have no idea what the scale on this thing is, but I've heard in the comments and via Wikki that it might be 20-30 feet.

Holy Crap.

087512c6351fb3795d00d1a932195830.jpg

Sand_Castle_by_Suzuko42.jpg

Sydney_Opera_House_2_by_Suzuko42.jpg

God of the Forest

God_of_the_forest_by_noah_kh.jpg
Not entirely landscape, but still very awesome looking.

Tainted Forest

ca22406468f69933e0b0474ac4bd7d23.jpg
Good for the Spellplagued regions in Forgotten Realms!

~
Very nice.  That Forest Church reminds me of Ravnica, from the MTG universe.

Rob Alexander, Temple Garden

Rob Alexander is a long-time MTG artist, and the Lands from Magic could make LOTS of awesome contributions to this thread.  Unfortunatly most of the art I've found from Magic, including Rob's Website, it is fairly low-res or med-res at best.  Still some great finds there, but I'm not going to post all of them; they are easy to find once you have a link.

Anyway, Ravnica was a city-planet with 10 guilds, one for each pair of colors.  The white-green guild lived giant atriums and such, with plant life intermingled within the building structure.
This is the best picture I can find of it, but it evokes much of the same vibe I got from the contribution above.

templegarden_print.jpg

Here's more Rob Alexander Stuff:

HallowedFountain_print.jpg

Atlantis_print.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day

Here's one I found a week or so ago, and I figured I'd save it for V-day. 
Probably a little too cheezy to use for DnD, but it's still good art from an artist I'm watching.

840b548e0017a39c07473cba180b6881.jpg

Yggdrasil Seed

I haven't posted anything elvish-looking latley.  Here we go!

Not much to say, but the scale of the tree really caught my eye.

Yggdrasil_Seed_by_ArdiRa.jpg

Time for some more pictures!

This week, I'm going to share several pieces by DA's Gaius32duke.  He doesn't seem to update much though.

It's been quite a while now since I uncovered these pictures, but I'm slowly working through my cache.  Eventually I may have to find moe! 

Pirate's Cove

Ah, the classic skull-cave-is-where-pirates-hang-out cliche.  Nothing wrong with slightly-cheezy fun though!
Of course, you could always switch it up and have someone/something else live there...

daily_concepts_cont_1_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Dracula's Castle

I love the perspective on this piece.

Draculas_castle_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Teple of Courage

This looks like the enterance to an abandoned temple of some kind.  I like the lion statues.

The_temple_of_Courage_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Guardian Lions (statues)

The artist's discription sums up my thoughts pretty well:

"Two Gigantic lion stautes guarding the path to an ancient mountain city now lost to history.

I have always loved how in fantasy storys a traveller would happen upon ancient statues in the middle of a vast wilderness, hinting at long vanished civilisations."

Guardian_Lions_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Abandoned Campsite

I'm not really sure why I like this one.  Nothing really jumps out as being special or inspiring.  It just looks like an abandoned campsite.  The fire's still going.  Kind of mysterious actually.  Maybe that's it?

The painting happens to be in a very small scale (the fire is supposed to be mouse-sized), but that's subtle enough you could use it for something else instead.

Woodland_Mouse_House_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Part II

Hidden Valley (Indiana Jones much?)

Per the sblock title, this pic gives off a bunch of Indiana Jones vibes, right down to the bullwhip-wielding adventurer.  I wonder what's inside?

Probably something dangerous and world-ending I'll bet.

Hidden_Valley_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Clacier Castle

Fun fact: Near the end or WWII, the Allies (US & Brittian especially) were seriously discussing plans to make giant aircraft carriers and other ships out of... ice.  Using modified ice, Pykrete as it was called, the military was hoping to build huge unsinkable ships.

Glacier_Wasteland_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Now for something completly different:

Lost (kerembeyit)

KB's an interesting artist with a weird style.  He's actually landed some gigs with WotC recently (since Primal Power I think), and he paints some amazing dragons!

He art depicts action scenes more than anything else, though there are some character portraits as well.  I only remember seeing a couple of 'landscapes' but here's one I liked, followed by one of my favorite paintings ever (and a shameless plug.  )

Lost_by_kerembeyit.jpg

DRAGONS!! 
First_Lesson_by_kerembeyit.jpg

Overgrown City

As the artist mentiones, I think she got a little carried away with the lighting effects.
Despite this, the picture is very cool, especially when viewed slightly smaller than full-size, when the lighting effects stop taking over the piece.

For some reason, this makes me think of Florida or California.  I don't know why.

bb86d30f350867607aac277b0d9beb27.jpg

Cherry Blossom Garden

As I've said before, different cultures are funny.
For some reason, I'm especially amused by the amount of pink-purple worn by guys in Anime shows, since American guys generally avoid pink like the plague.  But I have to admit, those Cherry Blossoms look amazing, and I can see why that pink-purple color might be popular.

FREELANCE___Asian_backdrop_02_by_axl99.jpg

I signed up for these boards just so I could say that these are amazing! Please keep them coming!
OK, let me see what I've got left!

Sorry about the inconsistent posting, but I've been up to Life Stuff, and haven't had a whole lot of spare time.

Anyway, On with the Show!

This bunch is by DA artist noah-kh

The Colossus

This isn't really a landscape, but more of a scene.
I don't care.  It's awesome.

Stunning layers of detail non-withstanding, this is one of the most believable, expressive, intelligent-looking, and simply interesting golems I have ever seen.

I truly can't decide if it looks natural or not.  The balance between natural materials and those green socket/orbs is perfect.  He literally looks like some ancient Ruins of Power just got up and walked away.
Why?  Did the residual magic animate him, or are there other forces at work?

the_colossus_by_noah_kh.jpg

Shelter Near the Waterfall

Secluded building?  Precarious pathway?  Questionable atmosphere?

This is so obviously where that reclusive half-crazy NPC that always knows some tidbit needed to save the world lives.  Amirite?

_waterfall__by_noah_kh.jpg

Sky Castle

For some reason, this reminds me of The Legend of Zelds and LOtR.
The design makes me think of those cloud-people from Twilight Princess, but the mood/atmosphere/colors all make me think of the Rivindel Elves.

Either way, cool place.

_sky_castle__by_noah_kh.jpg

Ancient Tree

I get a subtle Norse vibe from this one.  It reminds me of that World Tree or whatever.  The one that supports the heavens or something?  I'm afraid I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about.  :P

Check out the tiny person at the bottom right.  That's a pretty large tree/temple.

_ancient_tree__by_noah_kh.jpg

And now for some darker-themed pics. 
Personally, I prefer the happy-go-lucky style fantasy, but I don't mind some dreary stuff on occasion. 
I also recognize that other people prefer the gritty-reality style.  I'm just less interested in art of that variety, and therefore share very little of it.

This next artist has a very 'toon' style.

Old City (City of Despair)

For your generic Shadowfell needs...

The_old_city_by_treijim.jpg

Dragon on a Castle

Yes.  Yes it is.

The_Dragon_by_treijim.jpg

I don't know how to actually post pictures from this website, but I often use desktopnexus.com for fantasy images.  

Some of my favorites are

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/5242...

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/2741...

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/2327... - my absolute favorite. Reminds me a little of Menzoberranzan

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/3590...

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/3116...

abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/2198...

Sorry for not having actual photos for everyone to see. 
Thanks for sharing!

To post an image, you need to capture the image's URL, sometimes called a File Path.  This, in a nutshell, tells the computer where on the internet the picture is saved.

To do this, you can usually right-click on an image and check it's properties.
Somewhere in there should be a Location property, though it may be called something else.
It looks almost exactly like a hyperlink or URL to a web page, except it generally ends in ".jpg" to designate a picture.

For your first example, the URL is this:
www.desktopnexus.com/dl/inline/52420/128...

Simply click the "IMAGE" icon when you edit/create a post, and paste that URL in the Image URL field.  The image will automatically be resized to a particular maximum size, for better or worse. 
I like to add a hyperlink to the image, which will take you to the page or directly to the image, so others can see the image at full size, as well as view more of the website you got it from.

Now, the problem with this method is, when lots of people link directly to the images, the Host site gets lots of extra server load, but no extra traffic.  It's like giving away unlimited free samples.
For this reason, many websites do clever things so you can't link directly to the image.  The page you linked to does this, so don't worry about trying imbed the images too much.
Hyperlinks are fine.

Bonus Points:
Having explained all that, there are ways to get around the direct-image block.  The 'easiest' way is to download the image to your computer, upload it to a PhotoShare website (which exists explicitly so people can share photos), and then embed the image from there.
I use photobucket.com when I need to do something like that, but there are tons of other websites that do the same thing.

For example:
nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

I found some great stuff earlier this week, so I'll share some tonight.

The first four are by an artist I've never seen before, but unfortunatly his gallery is quite small.  There's still some solid finds there, however (8 when I checked).  These four are the most DnD-ish.

Bone Waste

Some amazingly creepy ruins.  This could work for the Shadowfell or a very haunted place on the Matereal Plane.
I plan on using it for an ancient Bael-Turath stronghold.  It sure looks like it saw a fight...

Bone_waste_by_peterconcept.jpg

Pirate in the Storm

I was reading a book that had some pirates in it a little while ago.  When I saw this I knew I had to share!

Pirate_in_the_storm_by_peterconcept.jpg

Eerie Purple Forest

This could either be a hauntingly beautiful enchanted forest of some kind...
Or very unnerving haunted landsacpe.
I can't decide which...

mystic_Forest_by_peterconcept.jpg

Ancient Ruins

More of those ever-elusive ancient ruins.  These look fairly worn-down but seem to have been re-populated somehow.

The scale on this is somewhat unsettling for some reason.  Either those ruins are very big, or those newcomers are quite small. 

Fantasy_Island_by_peterconcept.jpg

And now for one random piece I missed a while back...

Into the Unknown (Arctic Sailing)

I can't belive I haven't shared this yet!
Can you imagine how cold it must be on such a voyage?  And they are using oars!

Into_the_Unknown_by_kerembeyit.jpg

Hi!  I found more stuff today!  Want to see?  Of course you do!

Precarious Castle

This castle does not look like it has a solid foundation.  Actually, it looks more like a cathedral or something.
Oh well!  It does have a weird kind of charm.  Also: EARTHMOTE! 

FREE_yourself_by_koneko10.jpg

Deserted Paradise

Here's hauntingly beautiful piece by the same artist.  I thought it was worth sharing, so here you go.

9a272b6e505356fc7d26065b6cbd01d8.jpg

The Arrival

This picture is just vague enough to get me wondering.  That city in the background looks kind of sci-fi or high-tech, but the horsemen in the foreground don't.

Mysterious.

The_arrival__by_D__CO.jpg

Yoga

I think it's been a while since I posted a nice simple 'meditation garden' scene.  Rectified now.
Brief aside: Monks are awesome, and I plan on using this as a "I came from here" pic.

Yoga__by_D__CO.jpg

Lava Chamber (Skull Rock)

I never really noticed how rare "elemental" scenes like this are until just now.  I think I've only posted 2-3 others, and I recall 3 or 4 that someone shared shortly after the thread got started.

I'll have to find more.

Skullrock__by_D__CO.jpg

That's all for now! 

www.jessevandijk.net/

few things on there. some are fantastic

www.jessevandijk.net/

Fantastic!
[edit:] hey, this started page 2 (at least for those with 40-post pages), so I compiled the previous page into a zip file for easier downloading.  I find this makes image-based threads easier to follow.

www.jessevandijk.net/

Awesome find!  Thanks for sharing!

First up, a "hellscape" scene.  I'm way too easily distracted by pretty scenery, so here's a consious effort to find something creepy.

Land of No Sunrise

This is just weird-creepy.  It almost looks like a peaceful forest.  But those screaming faces are just wrong.  Awesome.

Land_of_No_Sunrise_by_Po0Ya.jpg

Future Earth (Feywild buildings?)

This is borderline sci-fi, but the structures are organic-looking and distant enough that you could pass it off as Feywild structures.  They look unique and interesting, so I figured I'd share.

Future_Earth_by_Multiimage.jpg

Giant Mushroom Forest

Super Mario Land anyone?

Again, this landscape is almost-normal but still slightly unsettling.
I dare someone to use this as an Underdark scene, as a refference to Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Mushroom_by_Multiimage.jpg

Isolated Cave & White Marble Dock

Sometimes landscapes look natural with nobody around, but this one just looks creepy to me.
With a dock that fancy, and a view that expansive, someone should be sitting around to watch...

Isolated_Cave_by_Multiimage.jpg

Mountain Pride

And I'll close with a scenic view of some Happy Mountains.

Mountain_Pride_by_Multiimage.jpg