12/9/09 Savor the Flavor: Booster Quest!

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor Article, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This...was the weirdest Savor The Flavor I have ever seen.

And by weird, I mean AWESOME. 
I took up Magic partly because it isn't actually D&D.
Wow.  So, so nerdy.  And by that I mean even more nerdy than Magic usually is.
I won, with my only fail being on the croc attack.

Booster Pack:
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen (Ironic, no?)
Hedron Crab
Feast of Blood
Unstable Footing
Turntimber Grove
Grim Discovery
Plated Geopede
Goblin War Paint
Shatterskull Giant
Kor Hookmaster
Whiplash Trap
Desecrated Earth
Piranha Marsh
Highland Berserker
Plains
No Token

Damn, you would have to post this article the day AFTER I've torn through 54 boosters and filed them all away. But awesome idea, and another awesome STF column.

Don't mess with the Evil Cheesecake or it will go straight to your thighs. With its teeth. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
so awesome that it practically put me to sleep
I happened to have two boosters lying around, opened but not yet sorted, so I decided to give this a try, switching between the two packs.  I won, failing twice, once in Quest 1 and once in Quest 3.  My favorite moment was the final challenge in Quest 2, which had “If your booster contains a card with "destroy" in its rules text, get a +2 on your roll” and “If your booster contains a rare or mythic rare that is white and/or green, get an additional +2 on your roll.”

That was great because my rare in that pack was Day of Judgment, a white rare that has "destroy" in the rules text.  Two birds with one stone, or I suppose one Vampire with one wrath.

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

Gawd, what a dumb article.

Also, it seems this week is an unannounced theme week: "Buy Boosters You Morons Week".  Yesterday Serious Fun pimps booster draft; today Doug attempts to make boosters into D&D modules.  Pathetic.  Wizards can spread 'em (the cards) as wide as they want, I ain't falling for it.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
This...was the weirdest Savor The Flavor I have ever seen.

And by weird, I mean AWESOME. 

This. Although, having admittedly not tried it yet, I for one think you should only be able to use each card once. 
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

I failed the Ravenous Cavern and Ob Nixilis quest using a Saviors of Kamigawa booster. Funny though how i used Rending Vines to aid me kill the vampire in the 2nd quest.

Neverending Torment
Ebony Owl Netsuke
Razorjaw Oni
Ghost-Lit Redeemer
Spiritual Visit
Death of a Thousand Stings
Oboro Breezecaller
Moonbow Illusionist
Kitsune Loreweaver
Araba Mothrider
Raving Oni-Slave
Spiraling Embers
Rending Vines
Fiddlehead Kami
Moonwing Moth

Like it or not, I feel this is creative. After all, its savor the flavor.

QFT - I hate D&D. The more they blur, the more I'm put off Magic.

Also, it seems this week is an unannounced theme week: "Buy Boosters You Morons Week".  Yesterday Serious Fun pimps booster draft; today Doug attempts to make boosters into D&D modules.  Pathetic.  Wizards can spread 'em (the cards) as wide as they want, I ain't falling for it.

I agree with the blue guy. 

There was also the mention of Pack Wars in Wizards Asks, and the Intro Pack feature article on Monday.

It didn't take me long to realise that cracking packs was the dumbest way to collect the cards that I want (singles FTW). No amount of silly pack cracking gimmicks are going to change my mind.

Competitive players are the ones who pay per game, not casual players.
This was incredibly lame. You know what other game is based purely on luck and doesn't require the least amount of skill? Flipping a coin ten times and seeing how often you can make it come up heads.
(I know, deciding when to use the foil card is kind of a strategic element, but this requires you to both have a foil card and not being bored to death before you can use it.)
This is the kind of article I would have really enjoyed when I was about 8-10 years old.

Funny, though, I thought Wizards were aiming Magic at 13+ these days.

(And yeah, cracking packs is an awful way to get cards. If I end up with some boosters, as prizes from Prerelease tournaments or whatever, I keep them sealed until I get to play a draft or similar with them. Well... unless it's boosters for a set I really liked, such as Eventide or Alara Reborn.)
Hey I have a crazy idea... How about we take some Magic cards and NOT play magic with them! Oh w8 somebody beat me to it ><
"The company is circling the drain, I tell you! I'd sell my shares of stock for a sandwich..."
Points for creativity, at least.
I see this as not just a cool flavorful way to crack a pack, but also an optimization challenge. So, my call to puzzle masters out there: You open your pack, and to your horror, most of the cards have been destroyed by a printing error. Luckily, you have exactly the right cards to complete all the quests from the article with all the bonuses. What is this minimum group?

Notes: You can't technically get all of the bonuses with any booster but Lorwyn-era because of the tribal/planeswalker bonus, but I'm willing to let that slide if you define specific set challenges that way.

As a bonus, what is the minimum group if your booster pack is a random repack off ebay that could contain any card in Magic (again with the card number minimized)?

As an extra note, this reminds me of attempting to turn a character into a jedi in the old decipher tcg...though at least the rolls at the end of this quest series don't require ridiculous luck/deck manipulation.

QFT - I hate D&D. The more they blur, the more I'm put off Magic.

I agree with the blue guy. 

There was also the mention of Pack Wars in Wizards Asks, and the Intro Pack feature article on Monday.

It didn't take me long to realise that cracking packs was the dumbest way to collect the cards that I want (singles FTW). No amount of silly pack cracking gimmicks are going to change my mind.

Competitive players are the ones who pay per game, not casual players.

Agreed.  Agreed.  Agreed.  These articles are on the Magic website.  Who comes to the Magic website?  People who buy Magic.  Stop trying to promote buying more packs to the people that already buy your product.  Just about every article in the last while has been a gimmick as a poor disguise for an attempt to get us to buy more.  Give us something interesting to read, give us analysis, theme, story, flavor.  Seriously Wizards, pull your head out, hire some writers than can write something entertaining and informational, and KEEP them.  If you want more people to buy the packs, promote it where people aren't already buying.  Want your established fan base to keep buying more packs?  Make us happy.  Want new fans to buy your product?  Appeal to them.  It isn't a difficult concept.
HEY KIDS HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT ASKING FOR BOOSTERS FOR CHRISTMAS???
That was a fun idea, nobody is forcing you to play so just forget about it if you're not impressed.  This game has some interesting design space - the creature token being included was cool, next time you should totally run a "teaching" challenge where you get a bonus equal to the number of the tip card in your pack, if any.  I think there are 6, that would be the perfect range of bonuses.
rather play pack wars.
Interesting, and a neat idea of how to use a few random packs lying around.

Obviously designed for use with Zendikar packs, so it would be interesting to see some quests written up for other sets/planes...

and yes, to all the whiners, yes, It is an amazing and shoking surprise to find out that a BUISNESS want people to buy more stuff from them just before Christmas time. [/sarcasm]

That said, it still can be fun, doesn't mean they are trying to ruin the game.  And yes, the whole D&D v Magic thing, ZENDIKAR.  That's one of the whole gimics for this Block.  Live with it.
Hey, listen to this. I've thought of a fun game in case you have any spare boosters lying around. It's called... eBay! What you do, is put the packs on eBay, and write an advertisement for them. Everyone can do this at the same time, so its like a massively multiplayer game. Scores are calculated from the money made from the sale. Whoever gets the highest wins, but everyone can keep what they make back. What do you think?
Two of the challenges makes the rules freak I am raise eyebrows. Surprised

If your booster contains an instant or sorcery that could destroy a Giant Scorpion, you succeed at this challenge automatically.

I could make it so that a Giant Scorpion gets destroyed with help from a kicked Burst Lightning, but it's not the Burst Lightning that would destroy it. It's stated-based actions, when they see a creature with more damage marked on it than its thoughness.

Do spells that exile the creature instead of destroying it count? What about something that gives -3/-3, or sacrifice effects, which wouldn't actually destroy the Scorpion ?

If your booster contains a creature with combined power and toughness 8 or greater, or a card with a Tap in its rules text, get a +2 on your roll.

Technically, Basic Lands all have a Tap ability... Does that mean that you get the bonus for any booster from a set that has basic lands in boosters ?

I wanna know !!! Who's the authority of the rules for this game ??? Yell

(Yes, this was sarcasm, and yes, I know nobody cares, me included. Wink)

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
RP, lol
Who comes to the Magic website?

People who whine a lot, apparently.

yes, to all the whiners, yes, It is an amazing and shoking surprise to find out that a BUISNESS want people to buy more stuff from them just before Christmas time. [/sarcasm]

of course business wants to sell product, but can they do it a bit more subtly then with a hammer? This whole week it feels like they are shoving packs down our throats ( instead of good contents, that would  imho ironically make more people want to buy packs). Its like going to a movie and hearing every other line some character put in an advertisement plug, no matter how good the actual movie is people will be pissed off. Now i'm not saying that the actual substance of articles is below par (they might be more/less to my taste but that does not reflect their quality), but the constant hammering is starting to make the articles a lot less enjoyable then they would be otherwise.
Interesting way to crack some packs.  I wont be playing though.
Sometimes I like to read Doug Beyer's articles to remind myself when I don't read Doug Beyer's articles.
I have to agree, if i had the packs lying around (which i dont) i would rather play pack wars, or draft, or sealed.
the only reason i would do this is more to show a new person traits of cards, like types or abilities.
333rd post-Jan 08, 2010 - 1:38PM 666th post-Jan 26, 2010 - 4:48PM 999th post-Jun 11, 2010 - 1:04PM 1,111th post-Sep 11, 2010 - 5:58AM dies to removal is not a good argument. if it is bad enough that they use removal on it, it is good, getting rid of removal so that it won't hit your next good card. dies to removal is only a good argument good when it would ruin the plan of your deck, or take away a massive mana investment. dies to removal is not a good argument. IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/PFtF.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/Pp3p.gif) poke the eggs and younglings. You know you want to. adults
When I collect cards (such as Pokémon or Neopets) I always get the booster packs. I recently got my first MTG pack a couple days ago, if this came out before then, I certanily would've played it.

And the image preceeding the quest Pelakka Wurm... what card is it from?
I see this as not just a cool flavorful way to crack a pack, but also an optimization challenge. So, my call to puzzle masters out there: You open your pack, and to your horror, most of the cards have been destroyed by a printing error. Luckily, you have exactly the right cards to complete all the quests from the article with all the bonuses. What is this minimum group?

Notes: You can't technically get all of the bonuses with any booster but Lorwyn-era because of the tribal/planeswalker bonus, but I'm willing to let that slide if you define specific set challenges that way.

As a bonus, what is the minimum group if your booster pack is a random repack off ebay that could contain any card in Magic (again with the card number minimized)?

I submit: Progenitus; Nightmare Lash; Novijen, Heart of Progress; Mold Shambler; and Nameless Inversion.

It's by no means a unique solution, and I made many judgment calls (didn't abide by redundant bonuses that didn't increase the probability of winning the quest, assuming that Nameless Inversion "destroys" Giant Scorpion, used a changeling instant which is kinda lame). I tried to make a four-card combination for a long time, but now I'm fairly sure that's impossible. Following the rules I used, only sets with mythic rares would be eligible for a one-set solution; I think there's the minimum there would be 6 or 7.
Somebody's been playing the Dungeons & Dragons: Tiny Adventures Facebook app at work.
Well, I managed to do the challenge myself, even in Zendikar using the foil rule!

Basically, the foil rule can be used to always pass the card type challenge by giving the foil card all card types, thus having to roll a 6 or higher on d6+8, or autosuccess. As this is one of only 3 challenges whose bonuses can count up to autosuccess (the others being Bloodchief and Ob Nixilis, both of which become 'roll at least n or higher on d6+(n-1) with all of their bonuses), I think this is the best one to use the foil on...though for non-zendikar sets there might be a smaller number of cards which is better optimized with another freebie.

Also, as a bonus, my selection contains 1 each of Mythic, Rare, Uncommon, Common, and Land:

Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet (foil)
Day of Judgement
Kor Aeronaut
Turntimber Grove
Swamp

With a success probability of...just under 28%? That's apparently the maximized victory chance...

Challenge by Challenge details below:
Challenge #, Card, Bonus Condition Fulfilled, Roll
1.1   DoJ, Sorcery, Autosuccess
1.2   Aeronaut, Kor, Autosuccess
1.3   Kalitas, Toughness>4, at least 4 from d6+2
1.4   DoJ, Sorcery that kills Giant Scorpian, Autosuccess
1.5   Kalitas, Mythic, Autosuccess
2.1   Kalitas, Creature with power>3, Autosuccess
2.2   Kalitas, Wordcount>2, at least 4 from d6+2
2.3   Kalitas, Vampire, at least 4 from d6+2
2.4   Kalitas+Aeronaut, 2 creatures with 2 creature types, at least 4 from d6+2
2.5   Kalitas+Aeronaut, Combined p/t>12, at least 5 from d6+3
2.6   DoJ, 'Destroy', AND
        DoJ, White rare, at least 5 from d6+4
3.1   Swamp, Swamp, Autosuccess
3.2   Kalitas, Warrior, at least 4 from d6+2
3.3   Aeronaut, 'Flying', Autosuccess
3.4   Kalitas, P/T>8 (or Tap), at least 4 from d6+2
3.5   Grove, Nonbasic, Autosuccess
3.6   Foil Kalitas Power!, +1 per card type, at least 6 from d6+8
3.7   Kalitas, CMC>6, AND
        Grove, + +, AND
        Kalitas, Mythic creature, at least 7 from d6+6
This is the best thing ever printed on this site. Seriously, I would purchase a book with just a bunch of these printed in it.

Yeah, it's like Tiny Adventures on facebook, only I would argue, BETTER.

I used Zendikar packs, and I was on such a roll! I beat the first two quests without losing a single challenge, only to lose the third quest twice before finally beating it.

I'll admit, I used an online booster pack generator as well as an online d6 generator (the one from wizards.com actually), but it was still the most fun I've had in a while.

I'm all about flavor. If you did this at least once per set (hopefully more often than that!) I'd be a really happy camper. 
Also,

2.5   Kalitas+Aeronaut, Combined p/t>12, at least 5 from d6+3

It's supposed to be just combined power >12. But it doesn't really ruin it needing only 5 more power from Zendikar creatures. Props for figuring this out!
Oh boo. I thought I had everything neatly done with 5 cards, 5 rarities...ooh! I know! Add one Elemental Appeal token in the token slot! Now that's 6 cards across the 6 different rarities!

Revised:

Kalitas (foil)                       [Mythic]
Day of Judgement             [Rare]
Kor Aeronaut                    [Uncommon]
Turntimber Grove              [Common]
Swamp                              [Land]
Elemental Appeal Token    [Token]
rather play pack wars.

In fairness, you could play Packwars with the booster first, then play this thing before you file the cards away...

Still cant see myself trying it, though.

;)

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
i'd rather shuffle up the pack and play another game with it. Smile
Sometimes I like to read Doug Beyer's articles to remind myself when I don't read Doug Beyer's articles.

It's odd, he doesn't ACTUALLY suck as a writer; on rare occasions he proves himself to be quite talented, but then he bends over once again and becomes the vessel for the perverse desires of his corporate overlords the next week or three before we ever see a hint of brainpower again.  He's like an artist who spends one week a month painting masterpieces and the rest of his time standing on street corners pouring buckets of paint over his head and singing off-key, with a hat next to him for people to drop quarters if they're impressed.  Tragic, really.

Wizards is like a Gorean den, it seems, only instead of beautiful women being kept on chains and whipped into obedience, it's talented artists (creators of beauty rather than living incarnations of it, but same principle).  The Wotco people all love the game and try to bring us the best of it, but they keep letting the Hasbro shareholder jerks dominate them, all because of money and laws, as if either of those things were comparable in importance to a fun game and gorgeous art.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi