Dark Depths VS Blood Moon

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What can I do? If I dont get the hexmage on turn 2, or he gets rite of flame/mana combo on turn 1, he is putting out blood moon then its game over for me pretty well.

I play no basic lands.... is there an answer or is it just basic lands? DOnt want to sideboard 4 spell pierce just for this and lots of the time they can get on turn 1 any way

My mox's never help enough very unlikely I could get to 3 colours with engineered before its over for me

Getting beat by pro sideboarding? :P

But seriously if something like AIR is going to rush first turn blood moon you are kinda screwed, I mean you should have at least 1 swamp or island in case they path, ghost, or moon u.

If you are really worried about it, try to thoughtseize it as fast as possible. You could even try getting a basic then repealing the blood moon and combo off. Otherwise I personally have no idea how to handle it.
your best options are either casting Thoughtseize or Duress or something before they get the moon out, or any kind of bounce effect. but you are going to need to run at least 1 island and 1 swamp. this is why i love Blood Moon so much. the card is just sick against so many decks it isnt even funny
So I could add 2 islands and a swamp ( I run 1 swamp already) 

But theres NOTHING to do about this  card once its in play?

I have 4x thoughtseize, I am talking my opponent starts or I dont get it or whatever happens and its on the board 
So I could add 2 islands and a swamp ( I run 1 swamp already) 

But theres NOTHING to do about this  card once its in play?

I have 4x thoughtseize, I am talking my opponent starts or I dont get it or whatever happens and its on the board 

You can preemptively fetch an Island and Repeal it, then counter/Thoughtseize, I suppose.  You're pretty much out of luck if they drop it turn 1 on the play. 

For Magus of the Moon, you can use a sideboarded Slaughter Pact, but for Blood Moon, it's basically just basic lands + Chrome Moxes.
Play Jhessian Zombies. They can cycle for a swamp or island off colorless mana.

What do you mean? You can't waste a bunch of SB slots on a card that helps you beat one specific problem card but is otherwise dead? (no pun intended) Well, I'm out of ideas then.
Repeal and basics is you're best bet. And thoughtseizeing it out of their hand is pretty good. All in red is obviously a sucky match up, but that deck is so irratic it's beyond belief anyway. I guess if you think outside the box, Mindbreak trap kinda stops all in red, but really, do you want sideboard space taken up by something just for that one deck? Which is not exactly the most reliable deck anyway?

So then you just have to worry about blood moon and magus in other decks, Slaughter pact is a great answer that you can play to magus, and it also is handy to kill a blocker and swing for 20 with your guy, rather than wading through chumps.

As for blood moon itself, you gotta use your fetches to get basics, and then repeal and thoughtseize/duress, tis your only way.

At this point, you may have noticed it's pretty bleak, because dark depths is poorly situated to take on a meta filled with blood moon.....
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Repeal/Echoing truth laugh at Blood Moon, just bounce it once you are ready to put the token into play. You should be running more basics though, a manabase that rolls over to that type of effect is a bad manabase.
What can I do? If I dont get the hexmage on turn 2, or he gets rite of flame/mana combo on turn 1, he is putting out blood moon then its game over for me pretty well.

I play no basic lands.... is there an answer or is it just basic lands? DOnt want to sideboard 4 spell pierce just for this and lots of the time they can get on turn 1 any way

My mox's never help enough very unlikely I could get to 3 colours with engineered before its over for me

I have a commander deck that only runs one basic land in the whole deck. I've found that a set of signets, a Khalni gem, and a such holds up pretty well against Blood Moon's followed by a number of disenchants gets it out of the way.
Sign In to post comments