12/4/2009 TWTW: "Underneath the Surface of Worlds"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Great article, as is characteristic of BDM.

One thing I'm seeing frequently in Extended decks and don't understand are sideboards like that of Michael Jacob's Rubin Zoo with their numerous singletons. Death Mark, Blood Moon, Tormod's Crypt, and Blood Crypt all make perfect sense, same with the extra copy of Teeg and Ghost Quarter, even Ancient Grudge (I guess) as a functional third Pridemage. But the singleton anti-HG Malfegor along with the Extirpate and Witness, how do you actually draw these when needed and why are they superior to filling out the playset of Crypts or Moons?
Not sure I understand but isn't a special "Koska rule" going to potentially kick out another hapless guy from the top8? I mean tiebreaker decimals can be a pain but it's fair. If you are going to reward players more who do well on day2 it's like you devalue day1. I mean he 'only' did a 4-3 in Kyoto on day1, so if he wanted to be in the top8 shouldn't he just play better on day1?

making extra rules just to get a feel-good story will just produce another feel-bad story
our new, happy life
Not sure I understand but isn't a special "Koska rule" going to potentially kick out another hapless guy from the top8? I mean tiebreaker decimals can be a pain but it's fair. If you are going to reward players more who do well on day2 it's like you devalue day1. I mean he 'only' did a 4-3 in Kyoto on day1, so if he wanted to be in the top8 shouldn't he just play better on day1?

making extra rules just to get a feel-good story will just produce another feel-bad story

Well, I think the rule was put into place to basically say why the person Qed for day two.  If a 4-3 qualifies a person for day two, but they *cannot* top 8 if they win out, why even qualify them?  This rule makes sense to me, as it justifies the qualifications.

The extra round doesn't specifically "reward" players who do well on Day 2 or "devalue" Day 1.  You still need a good enough record across both days to make the Top 8.  The point is to make sure that anyone who makes the cut to Day 2 can make the Top 8 if they win the rest of their matches.