So, who is in charge of RPGA pregens anyway?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Like the title says, who is in charge of RPGA pregens?

I have created a group of pregens with character builder and am now looking for someone to send them to.
Unless you picked the worst powers at each level, I wouldn't bother.  Don't make them beginner friendly either, they don't usually do that either.  Cliche builds only too.

I haven't checked, but I believe the pregen characters may just be the auto function on the Character Builder.
My Warlord Handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21004845/Leading_the_Attack_Warlord_Tactics My Feycharging Taclord build: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21817401/My_Eladrin_Feycharging_Tactical_Warlord
Unless you picked the worst powers at each level, I wouldn't bother.  Don't make them beginner friendly either, they don't usually do that either.  Cliche builds only too.

I haven't checked, but I believe the pregen characters may just be the auto function on the Character Builder.

Heh. That's why I did these pregens. To stop newcomers from being suckered with pregens that they didn't know any better than to take, I tried to make the characters I wish were pregens. To be fair, the last batch were better than most with only on eggregiously bad character and one that was probably as good as could be done given an inherently weak concept.
Official LFR stance for pregen is that they are not supposed to be optimized and players are expected to take what they get unless they invest resources into creating a better character.  See quote below (i would link the thread but it doesn't fricking work)

I agree with the previous poster that your ideas will get rejected anyways unless you can one-up the weekend in the realms pregen.  So don't bother unless your list contain such innovations as halfling barbarian, half-orc wizard, and dwarf warlord.

Do what I do, either bring your own pregen for your group or cut the players some slack for playing handicapped.

"Dragonborn Barbarian, Dwarf Fighter, Gnome Cleric, Halfling Avenger, Half-Elf Swordmage, Eladrin Wizard

Are they "worth it?"  This may sound strange coming from the person who made them, but no, I don't think they are.  I don't think any pre-gens are "worth it" for people who have the time and the understanding and the tools to make their own character.  There is always going to be something that someone doesn't like about them: not optimized, missing something, containing errors, not someone's preference, ad infinitum.  If you have to time, make the PC that you really want to play." - smerwin29, LFR Global Admin
If that is indeed the case and RPGA pregens are explicitly supposed to be bad characters that a player who knows what he is doing would only create if he were looking for extra challenge, then the RPGA's thinking on this is deeply flawed and needs to be revised. I'm sure I could think of pregen philosophies that would be more counterproductive and antagonistic to the very people who are most likely to want pregens but it is difficult to do so.

If you are in a position to be looking for a pregen, whether or not it is "innovative" is irrelevant. Innovative builds are something you care about once you understand what the standard, effective builds are. If you do understand the standard effective builds, then you probably don't need a pregen. If you don't understand them, then you don't understand why a halfling avenger might be seen as innovative but an elf avenger is not.

If you are playing a pregen, you want it to be simple and straightforward and not to have its effectiveness based on a game-mastery dependent trick. For example, in creating my pregens, I had considered a human swordmage with multiclass wizard and enlarge spell. This would be an effective and interesting combination but it turns playing a pregen into a game of "did you spot the trick"--players should be looking at the story and the ways that they can apply their characters' abilities rather than trying to figure out which part of their character is supposed to work with the other bits.

Likewise, if you are in a position to be looking for a pregen, you probably do not know the difference between an optimal character and an unplayable one (except that the optimal character will be more capable in-game and the unplayable one will be frustrating to play). Therefore, the  apparently standard practice of creating subpar pregens is calculated to frustrate rather than enthuse players. They are directly sabotaging the public outreach goal of the events for which they are provided.

More than anything I can say, this section of your post sums up the position nicely:

Do what I do, either bring your own pregen for your group or cut the players some slack for playing handicapped.

If the default position for RPGA organizers is to bring their own pregens to the games or to not run the mods as they normally would for players using RPGA pregens, then the RPGA pregens are, prima facia, unsuited for the role they are intended to have and are a waste of effort, ink, and glossy paper. And whoever sets the pregen philosophy needs to be corrected or replaced.

So, once again, who is the person responsible for this?
All of the pre gen characters are average. Nothing special and nothing crippling in their design. They are not optimized and are easy to play. I am glad that they have left optimization to players since this is how it should be. The way I look at it is if Wizards optimized pre gen characters what would be the point for players to ever do it. 
All of the pre gen characters are average. Nothing special and nothing crippling in their design. They are not optimized and are easy to play. I am glad that they have left optimization to players since this is how it should be. The way I look at it is if Wizards optimized pre gen characters what would be the point for players to ever do it. 

They shouldn't be optimized, I agree, but they should be better made than they frequently are.  There's a sweet spot somewhere on the scale between "highly optimized" and "so bad any competent player can see errors", and it'd be nice to see pregens fall in that sweet spot more often than in the latter category.

t~

My guess is that there isn't a person responsible for pregenerated characters.  For those occasions in which they're needed (mostly, Game Day modules, and the Delves), whoever's writing the adventure in question is probably also creating the characters.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

My guess is that there isn't a person responsible for pregenerated characters.  For those occasions in which they're needed (mostly, Game Day modules, and the Delves), whoever's writing the adventure in question is probably also creating the characters.

Correct, although, Chris Tulach is the one who gives them the final approval.
Sign In to post comments