Scapeshift potiential?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been seeing more Scapeshift decks popping up since its fairly easy to build. I even built it myself and im loving it so far unforuantely its not as fast as I hoped it be would be. Dredge and Hypergensis seeme to be faster than it but it can actually take out zoo if played correctly.

Do you think this deck would see a bigger shower in the upcoming season? It was seen a lot at worlds.
Well, I haven't played with or against the deck, but, assuming the guy in the DeckTech video from Worlds (forgot who) is telling the truth about matchups, Scapeshift should see a fair amount of play this season.

The main problem matchups I see are Dredge and Hypergenesis.  MWC, too (Martyr lifegain, Runed Halo).
Hi, I'm fairly new in Magic, I've only been playing a few months and just read the scapeshift article and I don't understand how the combo works exactly.  when you have the seventh land, you play scapeshift and search for six mountains and Valakut, i got that part.  I just don't understand how Valakut triggers for every mountain you play with scapeshift, since in order for valakut's abilty to trigger, one has to control 5 mountains already.  so could anyone please explain to me, exactly, how it triggers? 
Hi, I'm fairly new in Magic, I've only been playing a few months and just read the scapeshift article and I don't understand how the combo works exactly.  when you have the seventh land, you play scapeshift and search for six mountains and Valakut, i got that part.  I just don't understand how Valakut triggers for every mountain you play with scapeshift, since in order for valakut's abilty to trigger, one has to control 5 mountains already.  so could anyone please explain to me, exactly, how it triggers? 

The Mountains enter the battlefield simultaneously, so when each Mountain checks to see if it can fulfill Valakut's ability, they each see 5 other Mountains and thus Valakut does trigger for each Mountain.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump

Surely though, for Valakut to trigger, it must already be in play?
The lands all come into play at the same time.  So, by the time the triggers would be checked, Valakut is in play and you have 6+ Mountains. 
oh ok.  thanks.  I really like this deck,  do you think an ob nixilis, the fallen could work in this deck?
i play against this deck a lot online, i think it has some serious potential to be one of the top decks. its fast, consistent, and even resilient enough to be able to play around all the moon effects and still win.
I'm under the impression that as it is being played now it is not going to keep up. Going all eggs on the combo looks like a bad idea because a little disruption like a Meddling mage from Bant or a counter fizzle it easily, and postboard a Cranial Extraction spells GG. Then, you are slower than Dredge - Hypergenesis and is you're already on a delaying strategy with blue spells, then Thopter Foundry is already a better plan. I think turning it into a midrange deck in a Rock style with  the combo as a mere way to deal the remaining 18 / 36 points of damage is a better idea as it fully exploits the one card combo nature of the deck and the few slots it demands.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Just read this today and thought it might renew discussion around this deck.  Here is Ben Stark's take on a revised Scapeshift deck for the upcoming season.  What do you guys think?

I'm looking at buying an Extended deck as I just started playing and have none of the cards and this one looks pretty doable. 

strategy.channelfireball.com/featured-ar...
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I read that article, it's fairly well done, but I don't agree with his choice of Expedition over Oracle, I much rather have a blocker then that enchantment. 
What do you think about Prismatic Omen as a "accelerator". It reduces the amount of land needed by 1, you no longer worry about drawing or having milled too many mountains and against lifegain it expands the maximum amount of damage possible to the amount of lands left in the deck.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
I've been playing the deck for about a month now and it is pretty solid.  Anything that rapes the hand is kind of rough since your critters aren't enough to finish off an opponent even with a few shots from a valakut.  Disruption is a headache until board then in with negate for remand 5,6,and 7 and that usually nips it in the bud. 

Anything deathcloud is painful because of the cloud/ thoughtseize (or duress) package.  Nothing worse than loosing lands in a deck that needs lands to combo out.  Again, negate is your best friend here just be prepared for the long game with this one.

Playing against bridge is fine since you have sakura tribe elders for the bridges and disruption for the spells.  Also, unless they combo out and burn in for the win, firespout is house against most anything that sits on the board until your main.

Thopter foundry is a pain because of the disruption but is easy enough to handle with nix in hand.  Fracturing gust from the board is house as long as you remember to team it up with ghost quarter since academy runis becomes the bane of your existance when you finally get the foundry into the graveyard.

Zoo is a non-issue, next game.

I haven't got much testing in against dark depths or hypergenesis but they combo much quicker than I do so that becomes a problem.  Taking out marit lage with a repeal is easy enough as long as you don't get hit with a turn 1 thoughtseize you just have to look out for their disruption which are better beat sticks than your combo pieces.  As far as a turn 1 hypergenesis is concerned... hell, not much you can do with this deck against a turn 1 dragon besides pray to the gods of manascrew.

As far as prismatic omen goes, I'd like to test with it but I can't see loosing anything from my main except for the cryptic commands.
Prismatic Omen is actually quite interesting...not sure about it though.

This deck can faceroll Zoo and Dredge, do fine aganist Hypergen (you have a ton of counters aganist gensis, especially remand). AIR can be an odd matchup, you could potientally counter their Deus/Demi or Repeal a mox but a Turn 1 Deus will start destroying your lands which is basically game aganist you.

Only note on Zoo is if they are running a slower verison with Teeg, Firespout will be the only only thing saving you there.

Faeries and Tezz are the hardest matchups for this deck, they have Thoughtseize and a lot of other annoying disruption, then again you have Repeal aganist their moxs and 20/20 token. Racing this deck is a pain in butt but if you have a good enough tempo you can win even with their lifegain. Fracturing Gust destroys their combo btw, I recommend those in SB's.

Faeries is by far the most annoying as they will often be countering your accel, hitting you with a 4/4, and still have counters for your Scapeshift.

Sideboarding aganist control decks can be quite good, Negates, Boseju (my personal favorite), and Guttural Responses can really wreck havoc to control players.

I really hope people aren't actually going to do what LSV said and run Cranial Extractions, which literally shutdowns this deck.
I've been playing in ext tournaments fairly regularly since ravnica block and I haven't been hit with a single cranial extraction yet (wouldn't wan't to by any stretch of the imagination, but I haven't seen one so I'm not to worried about it).  Thoutseize/ extirpate would be game though and I have seen extirpate within living memory.