Tenser's Floating Disc

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm running a friend through KoTs and recently he descended into the tomb like area where the rune traps were.

I described the runes in such a way that he didn't want to go near them and so he at first devised pilling rocks on top of them, and in the 4E spirit of "yes" - I let him start carrying rocks. Half way through him running endurance and strength checks - he wondered if the ritual tensers floating disc could help him bypass the runes, and RAW I didn't see any problem with that in the ritual.

i know this has been probably discussed, but the search function didn't find anything related - so has there been the overall verdict on this? has there been errata?
Tenser's Floating Disk is a classic spell that's been in every version of the game since 1e.    4e is the first version, though, where you can ride your own disk, and I think we've begun to see why it was that it was forbidden in the past.  ;) 

Anyway, it's up to you how to rule it.  T'sFD only hovers a few inches above the ground, that could be close enough to set off the runes.  It's also magic, in itself, which could set of the runes. 

Really, though, it's not a big deal.  Most of our party, for instance, was able to simply jump over the runes.   If you want to let the player do it, wouldn't be imbalancing or anything.

(Do think twice before letting the 'Disk float over non-solid surfaces and difficult terrain, though.)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I've recently had a player ask about riding his Tenser's Disk as well. I didn't have a problem with it but it seemed to me that as the disk usually follows the caster then it would be reasonable to limit it in the following ways;
1) it can only move at the speed that the character could move at (so if it was difficult terrain then it would be impeded as much as the character would be)
2) it can only move where the character could move
3) any obstacle that causes a change in movement type (from walking to falling/climbing/swimming) requires the appropriate skill checks.

So, if the character want to stand a few inches off the ground and impress the natives then that's fine by me but if they want a cheap way to fly then that isnt.

The player seemed fine with these so I also suspect he's thought of some major loopholes already
Yeah, I'll probably hand wave it for that encounter (we finished up in sir keegans - so he still has to go through that area), i'll inform my player that in the future it won't work entirely the same way

i'll probably look into how it worked with earlier versions
I always had problems with riding your own Tenser's Floating Disk. It specifically says that the Disc follows you (the caster). So how are you going to get it to follow you if you're on top of it? Lop off your hand and hold it in front with a fishing rod?

That said, the Disk is a great mule or sherpa, but not a riding instrument... Use Soarsleds or Phantom Steeds for that.

[edit]
Just noticed the line that says that you can move it as a move action. That would enable you to ride it indeed.
[/edit]
Heroic Dungeon Master
I always had problems with riding your own Tenser's Floating Disk. It specifically says that the Disc follows you (the caster). So how are you going to get it to follow you if you're on top of it? Lop off your hand and hold it in front with a fishing rod?

That said, the Disk is a great mule or sherpa, but not a riding instrument... Use Soarsleds or Phantom Steeds for that.

[edit]
Just noticed the line that says that you can move it as a move action. That would enable you to ride it indeed.
[/edit]

Eh, you may or may not be able to ride it. I say its pretty much up to the DM. Yeah, the move action thing is necessary for it to even be contemplated as being possible, but I still don't think that proves it can be done. I've certainly allowed the wizard in one of my groups to shuttle OTHER PCs around using it, but that seems clearly within what the disc can do. At best they can only be moved up to maybe 10 squares distant from the caster before the disc is going to either come back or perhaps vanish anyway. Also nothing says that the disc doesn't bear down on whatever it floats over. It wouldn't be a stretch to say it sets off things like pressure plates.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I don't really see a problem with allowing it.  It takes 10 minutes to do the ritual and it costs the party or player money in component costs.  Al low levels like Shadowfell Keep, this money is a real issue.  It is very unlikely that players can afford to really abuse it at these levels.

I think I read somewhere that a new controller class will be getting this spell as a cantrip and I assume with no component cost...then this might be somewhat overpowered at low levels. 
I think I read somewhere that a new controller class will be getting this spell as a cantrip and I assume with no component cost...then this might be somewhat overpowered at low levels. 

Psions can choose to use it once a day with no component cost.
The disc floats after you. So if you stand on it, you're not more than 5 squares away from it and it won't move. So RAW says you can't ride it.
The disk can move in two ways:

1. If you move more than 5 squares away from it, it follows you.

2. You can order it to move with a Move action.

So you can hop on, and continuously use move actions to scoot around to your heart's desire.

Personally, I use TsFD for Druid summon placement. You can reposition your summons without 'commanding' them, giving them their free instinctive action. Eats up your move, but hey, free bear mauling.
One of my players uses it as his movement and I even allow him to use it to get over difficult terrain that isn't a foot high (like an icy surface for example). At the same time I make beneficial magical terrain for the party so he would want to be off of the disc at certain times, and therefore I made that action of off or on a move action.

Seems fine to me, I will just design my encounters differently.
I just did a post on a few ideas for Tenser's Floating disk at mydndgame.net
Shameless self promotion time. Visit my site at http://mydndgame.net New this week Win an Avenger T-shirt or Hoodie!
A Tensor's Floating Disk is only 3 feet across as opposed to the normal 5-foot square a character is usually required to occupy. Thus a DM is well within his rights to state that a character riding a Tensor's Floating Disk would be subject to the squeezing rules in combat.
Writing Director - Returned Abeir
Personally I think i'd let players use it to avoid diffictult terrain in combat, at least on a trial basis. Not ever being able to charge or shift (assuming a move action to get on/off) is more than enough of a penalty to make up for no difficult terrain. Besides, it would probably lead to strange in interesting tactics on the part of the players.

Edit: apologise for thread-raising 
Interesting is right, my player wants to build a container with slots for seeing and casting and ride in the container on the disc. A magical tank so to speak. Whats your insites on this?
The rules don't really cover this so it will be up to you.

Such bunker could grant him Superior Cover, functioning similarly to Arrow Slit Terrain (RC 303)
I'd rule against any application of the disk that actually allow to get bonuses. Disk surface is semi-solid, so it might not allow for rigid structure to be built on it.

I'd totally allow my mages to ride the disk like an awesome Disk of Tzeentch. Very stylish.
Sign In to post comments