Artificer Oops for Homunculi?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
An Artificer4 can officially create homunculi, but all homunculi I've seen require caster level 5 to emulate arcane eye.

As DM of a future golem-making Artificer, what should I do?
Emulating it would be UMD, right?
Show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Adopt one today! Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
Emulation requires a UMD check as part of the Artificer class feature Item Creation (Ex).  Artificers can normally emulate a caster level up to their Artificer class level +2.

For example, an Artificer3 could make a scroll of fireball, a level 3 spell requiring caster level 5.   [i}Arcane eye[/i] requires caster level 7 (Artificer5 to emulate), meaning Artificers should get Craft Homunculus at level 5 or drop the arcane eye prereq.
Emulation requires a UMD check as part of the Artificer class feature Item Creation (Ex).  Artificers can normally emulate a caster level up to their Artificer class level +2.

For example, an Artificer3 could make a scroll of fireball, a level 3 spell requiring caster level 5.   [i}Arcane eye[/i] requires caster level 7 (Artificer5 to emulate), meaning Artificers should get Craft Homunculus at level 5 or drop the arcane eye prereq.

Yes they could make a fireball scroll at Artificer 3 but the actual caster level for that scroll is the Artificer's actual level which is third level doing 3d6 damage and not caster level 5 and doing 5d6.
As for the craft homunculi, to emulate the arcane eye spell they would need to get 27 on their roll for the UMD check and a 4th level Artificer would only have UMD skill point on the lowish end of the scale depending on where they put their ability points. So with max rank points at 7 + cha would equal say a max UMD of 10, they would have to roll a 17 minimum, so it's not all that easy to craft a homunculi, it would take 2 day's to craft, so that 2 17 rolls + 2100gp and 160xp and would need an Artificers lab as well.