Better off having a friend with an Artificer...

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since Artificers can take a feat to create higher level magic items, and you can buy your friends character a scroll to use to make a magic item for you, are not some people better off from an equipment perspective if they adventure with an Artificer?
Sure, but good luck affording that higher level magic item.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I see it being used mostly to upgrade a Magic item to a higher level enchantment. There are plenty of mods in heroic that will give you a +3 Magic something. It's not that hard to come up with 4k to get a 12th level enchantment if you have the 11th level item.
I thought there was a rule in the CCG to prevent characters permanently affecting items for another character?

Sure it's great for the artificer and their own items but if you can't affect other character's items permanently then it's probably a lot of gold for no gain.
"In addition, you cannot permanently alter another player’s magic item (or other equipment) in any fashion. You can, however, cast rituals (including Enchant Item or Transfer Enchantment) for a another player’s character if that character can provide your character with the ritual scroll and pay for the cost of the casting."

They added the red text with the 1.9 update.
Yuyp, the 1.9 CCG nixed that.  Although you have to pay for the scroll and they can't do it via their own mastered ritual.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
LOL.  What's the point?  Anyone can cast a ritual from a scroll.
Yes, but some can do it better.
I see it being used mostly to upgrade a Magic item to a higher level enchantment. There are plenty of mods in heroic that will give you a +3 Magic something. It's not that hard to come up with 4k to get a 12th level enchantment if you have the 11th level item.

Not that hard? At 700 gold per high tier 'more gold' bundle choice it takes you six mods minimum (plus the mod where you found the item), which means that even if you found the item at level 7, you'll be level 10 by the time you found enough gold to bump it up to a level 12 item, and will have hit paragon before you can afford to bump it to a 13. By which point you'll probably have found a better item in a bundle anyway.

The exponentially increasing cost of magic items in 4e makes the ability to craft above your level rarely, if ever, worth it from an economic point of view. It's only worth it if you absolutely *have* to have a specific item a couple of levels before you could just have bought it yourself with gold.

And of course, you need to find an artificer who took the feat. I suspect in an LFR context most won't bother.
Since Artificers can take a feat to create higher level magic items, and you can buy your friends character a scroll to use to make a magic item for you, are not some people better off from an equipment perspective if they adventure with an Artificer?

You don't need an artificer, just ask a friend that is higher level than you.

It's basically a loophole that you can't really take too much advantage of. The economics are such that, you'd likely only do it upgrade an item to some effect that really makes your build click and have access to it a bit earlier than normal.

...and you better not complain about mods being too easy.

You don't need an artificer, just ask a friend that is higher level than you.

I was thinking about it, and can you really get an artificer or higher level friend to provide a means to a higher level item?

When talking about buying items, it says:
"You can purchase any magic item that is equal to or less than your level with your gold, as long as you have access to it."

When talking about enchanting items, it says:
"You cannot upgrade the item until you are the same level or higher as the item you want."

When it says "you" in the text, does that not refer to the player who wants the item, not the player who is enchanting it?
That's how I would read it.
Is this FAQ-able then? At the same time, what is the point of having someone else use the scroll for you?
Is this FAQ-able then? At the same time, what is the point of having someone else use the scroll for you?

You aren't the first one to ask that.  If you have a scroll you can do it yourself.  If someone else can make a higher level item for you, then it makes some sense.  If not, it's pointless.