Not template yets?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Come Wotc, time's passing...
BUMP!
One more month and no Templates added or ETA provided...
+1... give templates already... and an NPC builder!

how difficult can that be?

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

how difficult can that be?

Software development does tend to be more problematic than it seems.  But... I don't really care.  I still want templates.
Seriously, it has been months, and I am starting to wonder if continuing my DDI subscription is worth it.  For a DM the monster builder is next to useless unless I can generate NPC and add templates to make elites and solos.  This is a BIG deal wizards lets get moving...
For a DM the monster builder is next to useless unless I can generate NPC and add templates to make elites and solos. .

How so?
I spent about 15 minutes today trying to figure out how to apply a template. Seemed like something so simple that it "had to be there", but it wasn't. Glad to see I wasn't just "missing it", I guess. Hopefully it will be coming soon?? Seems like it could easily be added as a pull down on the editing page.
I have pulled out my pokey stick and done some poking to see what falls out...
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I get the feeling the team working on MB is very very small...
Seriously, it has been months, and I am starting to wonder if continuing my DDI subscription is worth it.

Not to start a flame war, but this just seems overly dramatic. Are you seriously saying that because there are no templates in the beta monster builder you are considering canceling your DDI sub? Especially when it's almost trivially easy to apply the templates manually?

Here's a trick to tide you over until the templates happen: Create a custom monster and name it after the template. Add the powers in the template to the monster. The monster can be any level. When you want to apply a template, throw the monster into the holding pen and copy all of it's powers over. Change the monster type to elite/solo (whichever it calls for). Done.

I know you don't want to do it yourself, but it takes under 5 minutes to set it up and it takes seconds for each monster you convert thereafter.
I would certainly not say the MB is useless w/out templates and NPCs, but adding them in would make it a lot more useful. As near as I can tell, other than data upgrades, there has been very little actual development (features, etc) on the MB since it was first released. This is disappointing, since this beta period should be one of constant, continuous, change, each patch adding a mess of features and bug fixes.
Earth Delta!! Post-atomic mutants using D&D 4e rules. 600+ pages of mutations, monsters, and occasional sarcasm.
Alma Mater review and walkthrough!A look at the infamous early-80s High School RPG, with illustrations by the great Erol Otus.
Bumping for template justice.
I don't see anything in the updated MB for templates. That's a huge shame. This tool is so close to being excellent.

On the plus side, they did fix the speed issues and many defenses. I found a problem with one monster and have sent in a bug.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Well, the speed fix is good news - I haven't had a chance to look at the update yet, and I was wondering about just that.

I'll have to take a look at some other bugs, see what else has been fixed.

Still a shame that there's no templates, though.  It wouldn't be so bad if templates were in the Compendium, but not having a consolidated source of information on all templates is annoying.
For those of you patiently waiting for Templates to be added to the MB, just go use Masterplan for now. Its a great multi-purpose tool for D&D

You'll have to create the Templates yourself but thats like 5 minutes of work tops and than you can just apply it to any of the base creatures you'll have you imported the compendium library or you can import XML data from the MB.

I personally use Masterplan more often than the MB now, since you can build creatures in it to. However, Masterplan doesnt do all the math for when creating a creature from scratch like the MB does, so it takes a little more work to create a balanced creature
Another month, no templates... WIzards, you are failing to listen to us...
While they've done a great job of updating MB data, the feature set since the first beta has barely changed. I have to wonder how many development resources are actually assigned to this project.
Earth Delta!! Post-atomic mutants using D&D 4e rules. 600+ pages of mutations, monsters, and occasional sarcasm.
Alma Mater review and walkthrough!A look at the infamous early-80s High School RPG, with illustrations by the great Erol Otus.
Zero, none.

I guess they are working on something else. 
Hopefully, a trap builder...
I was trying to figure out where the templates were or what was the story with them not being there.  I would just like to say i am shocked and saddened.  Please treat the ability to use templates, including class templates a priority for monster builder WotC.  Another annoying thing, i wanted to apply a class template with class powers, but the class powers are not even in the power list because only powers that belong to monsters are on the list.  How hard would it be to port the PC class powers from character builder over to monster builder?
CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]
I want templates as much as the next guy.

However, in the meantime, what I do is search for an similar power and then edit that power to look like what I want. For something like a DM2 theme you can then export that as RTF and place it in Word or something similar next to or just after the RTF monster block. For an actual template, you can add it to a custom monster. It takes a bit of work, but it does produce a decent final result.

I still want actual template functionality mind you.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

That is far more work then we, paying customers, should have to do for somthing that should be a simple function. We have powers from every supplement that has been released thus far. Yet Templates ,which are IN THE DMG, are still unavailable to us!?
I would just like to add my name to the long list of those who would like to see templates added to MB.
I also would appreciate the inclusion of templates in the Monster Builder.
I'll join this bandwagon too.  I love the idea of the monster builder, but this is one of the main reasons I seldom use it.

I love D&D more than I could ever love a human child.

Looks like players (CB) are more priority than DMs.
Well, started this topic on november 09 and no love was shown to DMs on MB so far... will this month be another blank month?
Well, started this topic on november 09 and no love was shown to DMs on MB so far... will this month be another blank month?

My money is on, "Yes."
Another blank month for templates in MB... come on Wizards.... this product needs to leave the beta phase.

You can do better than this... ;) 
Just joining the chorus chanting, "Hey, WotC, give us templates in the Monster Builder!" Or at the very least, include the powers …
Just joining the chorus chanting, "Hey, WotC, give us templates in the Monster Builder!" Or at the very least, include the powers …

Including the powers would be a very simple work around. A little "template" monster group so you can search just for that. Then you can just change the type to elite and some minor tweaks and you're done. 

Someone should have thought of that six months ago!! 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Yes and a themes group with the theme powers too. not much work for WotC and a lot of improved functionality. Plus they should have a wee look at equipment in the monster stat blocks, many monsters are missing their kit.
CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]
Almost happy birthday topic!

Its going to be a year since Wizards started ignoring you.

I'm glad I'm not losing my mind.  After 2 years of subscription I finally have the time to create my own adventure.  One of the reasons that I was enamoured of Monster Builder was the prospect of drag-and-drop templates.  I go to build an elite cult leader of Orcus with the Deathmaster template.  I look and look and I can't find the templates!  I was sure the feature was in there somewhere.  I ended up adding the features manually.  Now at least I know I'm not stupid and just could not find the templates in MB.
I am positive that the request for templates in the online monster builder/Adventure Tools has reached WotC. I don't know whether they can include it in the first version.

Until that time, it isn't so hard to add Monster Theme powers but it is a longer process to add the templates. It is only a manually process for now.

My advice is for every user to politely and constructively in a ticket to customer support let them know that you want it to be included. When they see an issue repeatedly come up they get the feedback to the leads at WotC.

Did this ever get implemented?
Sign In to post comments