[4e] Expert Dungeon Master Competition 14: Populate This Map!

217 posts / 0 new
Last post
XDMC 14: Populate This Map
Welcome to the fourteenth Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
  • To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.

• To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.

• To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.

The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!

Required Elements

The topic for this competition is "Populate This Map". In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
  • Map: Specify which of the two maps provided below your encounter uses.  You may use all or merely a portion of either map (but not both).  There is no minimum portion of either map you must use.

• Name: Name your entry. 

• PC Information: Provide the number and level of PCs for which this adventure is designed.  If there are any restrictions (no Arcane classes, no elves, etc.), describe that as well.

• Background: Describe briefly why PCs might be adventuring in the area described by the map.

• Populate the Map: Describe the creatures, traps, terrain, vehicles, treasure, etc. the PCs might encounter.  You can provide full stat blocks or, if found in an official book or the Compendium, you may simply reference its name as it appears in that book or Compendium as well as the source. 

Optional Elements

In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
  1. Artifact: The PCs have an opportunity to acquire an Artifact.

2. Helpful: At least one NPC described in the adventure wants to help the PCs accomplish a goal.

3. Internal Strife: At least one encounter includes two or more creatures that are hostile to one another.

4. Keyword: All the creatures in each encounter share a keyword, but no two encounters use the same shared keyword.

5. Music: Music plays an important role in every encounter.

6. Non-Consecutive: Two encounters happen in the same area of the map, but not right after one another.

7. Radiant: At least one creature or trap has the ability to inflict radiant damage.

8. Retreat: All the creatures in one or more encounters are more likely to retreat than fight to the death.

9. Rope: 50 ft. of rope can drastically change or obviate one encounter.

10. Schedule: At least one encounter may change depending on the time of day the PCs address it.

11. Self-Sufficient: All the creatures dwelling in the subterranean portions of the map grow their own food as described in the entry.

12. Skills: At least one encounter is easier to overcome with a successful History or Streetwise check.

13. Template: A template is applied to one or more NPCs that may be encountered.

Please list the optional elements you are trying to meet in your entry.

Maps

Click on each map to see a larger image.

Dungeon Tile Map 1

a91ac32dbd8b70ba4abcfb62dfa46300.jpg?v=94800

Dungeon Tile Map 2

e9f76213bfb11464578b4980a93c9f7f.jpg?v=229392
If you use only a portion of a map in your entry, please use the numbered areas to identify which portions you used.

General Rules

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group Wiki.

• Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.

• Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.

• Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.

• Images Allowed. If you want to use an image in your entry, you must first post it to your profile gallery.

• Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.

• Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.

• Outside Links Prohibited. Entries may not include material hosted on a website other than the post on which the entry appears.

• Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.

Judges and Schedule

The contest will run from today through Friday, December 4, 2009. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight on that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are Johnathan_Vagabond, Lord_Ventnor, and Veok, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!

Questions and Answers

(reserved for questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's response)

Q.  How much leeway is there in interpreting the maps?

A.  As long as the tiles are a reasonable representation of the adventure you describe in your entry, you should be fine.  Adding secret entrances, traps and terrain is all fine within reason, if it would not require a DM using your adventure to physically alter the dungeon tiles used to create the maps.  Of course, at some point, this becomes a judgment call, which is why we have judges.

Q.  What does it mean to be able to "use a portion" of a map?

A.  This means you can take one or more numbered areas of a map and pretend that it is the entirety of the map.  Alternately, you can assume the map as given is the map for the adventure, but only detail one or more numbered areas within that map (leaving the DM who uses your entry to fill in the gaps).  Alternately, you can populate the entire map.  The more you leave for other DMs, the more it might affect your Usability score (at the judges' discretion).

Q. Can I alter the maps?

A.  No.  You cannot ignore tiles or add to them.  However, you may re-interpret what the tiles represent, as long as a novice DM using this tile set could reasonably use the tiles as laid out to run your adventure.  The more work you require of DMs who might want to use your entry, the more it might affect your Usability score (at the judges' discretion).

Q.  For purposes of optional element 12, can History or Streetwise be a possible Skill invoked during a Skill Challenge?

A.  Yes.

Q.  For purposes of optional element 13, can the NPC to which the template is to be applied be a monster?

A.  Yes.

Medalists and Scores

Medalists

The bronze medal goes to:

Qube with "The Goblin Dungeon"!

The silver medal goes to:

Whitman with "The Ice Shard Oubliette"!!

The gold medal goes to:

ClanBattlerage with "Deadly Inspiration"!!!
Thanks to Johnathan_Vagabond and Veok for being the two judges who stuck it out and finished the judging.  Congratulations again to everyone for such wonderful entries and thanks for making the XDMCs a continuing success! Anybody who wishes to edit their entries are welcome to do so. Everyone is welcome to post their comments.

Stay tuned for XDMC #15 to begin (hopefully) in a few weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the carefully tabulated scores below:

CONSOLIDATED SCORES

(# Creativity/Usability/Themes/Clarity/Bonus/Total)

1. 6 / 10 / 0 / 5.5 / 0 / 21.5 - Coarsedragon's Twin Protectors (levels 4-6)
2. 12.5 / 9 / 8 / 9 / 1 / 39.5 - ClanBattlerage's Deadly Inspiration (level 9)
3. 10 / 9.5 / 5 / 7.5 / 0 / 32 - TelinArtho's The Amulet of the Torn Brotherhood (levels 3-4)
4. 8 / 12.5 / 6.75 / 9 / 1 / 37.25 - Qube's The Goblin Dungeon (level 1)
5. 8.25 / 8.5 / 7.25 / 7.75 / 0 / 31.75 - Krika's The Cult of Light and Madness (level 3)
6. 9 / 8 / 6.5 / 3.5 / 0 / 27 - DarkSpartan's Proving Ground of the Great One (level 1)
7. 10.5 / 7.5 / 6.5 / 7 / 0 / 31.5 - PBN's The Betrayer's Secret (levels 17-18)
8. 10.5 / 6.5 / 6.5 / 7.5 / 0 / 31 - Fuka's The Blessed Tomb of the Bard King (levels 6-10)
9. 9.75 / 5 / 7.5 / 8.5 / 0 / 30.75 - dulsi's Getting to Azahorcut (level 12)
10. 13 / 10.5 / 6.5 / 9 / 0 / 39 - whitman's The Ice Shard Oubliette (level 17)

Note to Person in charge:  The link, if it is a link, on the Wiki didn't work for me. Could you please recheck that it is correct and that maybe it's on my end.

Edit: Yes it was just for some weird reason not working 2 Weeks ago.
Prejudice and Discrimination CardUtility 1
[Insert flavor text here ...]
@will Psychic, Fire(Special)
No Action - Forum
Target:Trolls
Effect: You summon every internet troll within 2 clicks.
Size : Gigantic Immune Psychic (It doesn't care what you think) Immune Fire (Special): Flaming powers are what internet troll's feed on. Every flaming point regenerates them by the same amount. Special: If their target has a vulnerability their attacks inflict damage of that type.

Works for me.  Are you a member of the Group?  Maybe you can't access it without joining.

EDIT: Looks like you have joined the group.  Does anybody else have this issue.
Is there a way to get larger/higher-resolution maps?  My eyes aren't great, and particularly on map 1, some of the features are tough to make out.
How exactly, on Map 1, do the buildings and the dungeon connect? Is there just a straight wall with a gaping hole that goes straight into a cave/dungeon thing?

It's hard to make sense off without a little description or some more maptiles Embarassed 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I'll see what I can do.  I have them saved in MS Paint.  I'll see if I can upload them to the Group Gallery in a larger size.  That will have to wait until tonight.

On Map 1: From area 4 to area 5, it is an outdoor path way that proceeds for one square (5 feet) and then hits the entrance to a subterranean cave (The tile for area 5 is actually called "Cave").

Areas 5 and 6 are connected by a 2x2 square tile of stone floor.  The chasm of area 6 has a ten-foot wide bridge of stone across it.
If you click on each map, it should take you to a slightly larger version stored in the XDMC Group gallery.  It works for me, but you guys should let me know if you have problems.
One more question, and then I'll go away and start working: how much leeway do we have in interpreting the maps?  That is, if I decide that the transition between area 4 and 5 is actually an underground secret passage that begins beneath the ale barrels in the tavern, can that be canon for my entry?
One more question, and then I'll go away and start working: how much leeway do we have in interpreting the maps?  That is, if I decide that the transition between area 4 and 5 is actually an underground secret passage that begins beneath the ale barrels in the tavern, can that be canon for my entry?

I had the same question. Also, what levels should we be doing these delves for?

Soon as I know, I'll get to work.

-Sarena

Players don't get to ad-lib t3h r00lz, and demand the DM stick to RAW. RAW says it's the other way around.

Artificer.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

One more question, and then I'll go away and start working: how much leeway do we have in interpreting the maps?

If the selected tiles could reaonably be interpreted to represent the adventure you describe, you should be fine.  Of course, this is often going to be a judgment call, so in the end, that will be up to the judges.  But the contest generally rewards creativity.
Would #12 (the skill check) count if History or Streetwise were merely an option in a skill challenge?

I had the same question. Also, what levels should we be doing these delves for?

Soon as I know, I'll get to work.

-Sarena

You get to decide. You have to include the number of players and their level in your map description.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Right. One adventure for 5 first-level characters, coming right up

-Sarena

Players don't get to ad-lib t3h r00lz, and demand the DM stick to RAW. RAW says it's the other way around.

Artificer.jpg

Would #12 (the skill check) count if History or Streetwise were merely an option in a skill challenge?

Yes.
You know, I am having a pretty hard time trying to figure out what these tiles are supposed to represent. For example, I don't at all know what is being depicted in the bottom room of the second map. In that same map, I can make out a magical circle on the left side of the cross-shaped hallway, but I can't identify the object on the right side of that hallway. Some of the square-shaped objects in the larger rooms of that map are also hard to figure out.

Can we get a map key or something?
You know, I am having a pretty hard time trying to figure out what these tiles are supposed to represent. For example, I don't at all know what is being depicted in the bottom room of the second map. In that same map, I can make out a magical circle on the left side of the cross-shaped hallway, but I can't identify the object on the right side of that hallway. Some of the square-shaped objects in the larger rooms of that map are also hard to figure out.

Can we get a map key or something?

That's part of the challenge, at least I think. Finding a realistic use for all the terrain features.

-Sarena

Artificer.jpg

Sarena is correct.  Define those things however you like.  I could tell you what each tile is called, though. But you are in no way required to use them that way, and I fear doing so would inhibit people from defining these features for themselves.

Q.  How much leeway is there in interpreting the maps?

A.  As long as the tiles are a reasonable representation of the adventure you describe in your entry, you should be fine.  Adding secret entrances, traps and terrain is all fine within reason, if it would not require a DM using your adventure to physically alter the dungeon tiles used to create the maps.  Of course, at some point, this becomes a judgment call, which is why we have judges.

What about removing minor map features? I'm thinking, in particular, of the annoying black section in Room 2 of Map 2.
I belive that's supposed to be dead space, and as such maybe taking it out wouldn't be the best idea. It'll give the PCs a terrain restriction to use, rather than an open room where they can be surrounded.

Either way, we should be operating within the bounds of the map.

-Sarena

Artificer.jpg

You can't remove tiles.  But if you want to redefine tiles, that would be okay.  That black area in Room 2 of Map 1 could be a solid wall, or a cloud of blank fog, or a rectangular black pudding.  But the tile has to be there.
Ok, I can work with that. Cheers!
You can't remove tiles.  But if you want to redefine tiles, that would be okay.  That black area in Room 2 of Map 1 could be a solid wall, or a cloud of blank fog, or a rectangular black pudding.  But the tile has to be there.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but can we do "cosmetic" changes such as adding a worm-eaten wooden board over chasm #9 on map #1?  Or adding spikes and a false floor over the pit #8?  Or rigging the stone bridge over #6 to fall, thus "altering" the map, but not significantly?

Also, the part about "you may use all or merely a portion of either map", confuses me a little.  Does that mean that we can pick and choose which rooms comprise our map, say only #4-7 of map #2, or does it mean that we only have to populate a portion of the map, but are required to include all areas?
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
Not to beat a dead horse here, but can we do "cosmetic" changes such as adding a worm-eaten wooden board over chasm #9 on map #1?  Or adding spikes and a false floor over the pit #8?  Or rigging the stone bridge over #6 to fall, thus "altering" the map, but not significantly?

Those would all be judgment calls and thus up to the judges as to how well it fits the criteria of the competition.  Personally, I'd be okay with any of them, but I can't speak for the judges on specifics.

Does that mean that we can pick and choose which rooms comprise our map, say only #4-7 of map #2, or does it mean that we only have to populate a portion of the map, but are required to include all areas?

The former.  (Or, technically, either option would be fine.)
While we're waiting, here's some real-life inspiration.... the Catacombs of Saint Sebastian in Rome:

catacomb_4.jpg
bump!
Still working on it, give us time :D
Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"
I wouldn't mind seeing Wrecan take part in one of these contests, even if he doesn't post an entry until after everything's over with.  We've seen what everyone else is capable of; I'm curious what sorta skills our illustrious moderator has.  :D
Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
I wouldn't mind seeing Wrecan take part in one of these contests, even if he doesn't post an entry until after everything's over with.  We've seen what everyone else is capable of; I'm curious what sorta skills our illustrious moderator has.  :D

Wrecan is (episode V-VI) Yoda: he's got nothing left to prove.
You mean he's not computer-animated... he's a puppet?
No, I'm a muppet.  Nobody pulls my strings.... though Frank Oz does put his hand up uncomfortable places.  (Is that TMI?)
What I think he's saying is when 400 years you reach, not as good, you will look.
That's Someone, with a capital S. "Cat's out of the bag on that one, isn't it? Who puts cats in bags, anyway? Cats hate bags." -Sheogorath, Oblivion

Twin Protectors: Character levels 4-6

Dungeon Map 1 – Area locations noted as [Area X]

As the PCs explore the town they stumble across Woodrow [Area 3] the town gossip.

Woodrow: “Say, youse guys needs a hot tip? (not waiting for a reply) I know Maggie [Area 2] is really upside-down ‘bout loozin’ her ‘spesive ring.” Woodrow is an old boozer dressed in shabby torn clothes. His smell in none to pleasant either.

With a little Diplomacy [DC20] or Intimidate [DC15] they can get Woodrow to tell them that Maggie owns the Lucky Draw [Area 4] tavern and had to surrender a valuable ring to the “Twin Protectors” because she did not have enough money to pay for this month’s “protection”.

Maggie lives in a small cottage [Area 1] across from the Lucky Draw and Woodrow will introduce the PCs for a small of fee one or two silver or a bottle of booze.

Maggie is a pleasant looking woman, about 35, usually in a greenish woolen full length dress. Leary of the PCs she will not be very forth coming with information when questioned about the story Woodrow told the PCs. A Diplomacy check [DC20] will allow the PCs to gain Maggie’s trust and she will tell the tale of the “Twin Protectors”.

[DM note: Maggie will very possibly not speak to the PCs if they try to intimidate her]

History of the “Twin Protectors”:

Rodrick and Brodrick are twin brothers and sons of the ex-mayor. The brother’s father was run out of town for being corrupt along with his entire family. The brothers however returned and are now extorting monies from various businesses. The town constabulary is powerless to stop them because, in Maggies words, “they are cowards”. If the PCs are friendly toward Maggie she will ask them to either get her ring back or eliminate the twin brothers.

[DM note: Decide Maggie’s trust based on the diplomacy check when the PC’s first met Maggie. DC20 she will be leary but will ask them to investigate and get the ring back if possible. DC25+ she will have complete faith in the PCs and ask them to do away with the twin brothers. DC 30+ she will come out and tell the PCs that her bartender is working with and hiding the twins somewhere. He is a good man but probably intimidated by the twins. Should the PCs fail to impress Maggie they can investigate on their own.]

If the PCs manage to convince Maggie they are willing to help (DC20+) she will explain the ring was payment for this month’s protection. In other words this is an extortion racket.

[DM Note: You can decide how long the brothers have been in business but it should be longer than one year and no longer than three years.]

If the PCs manage to convince Maggie they are willing to help (DC25+) she will explain the ring was payment for this month’s protection and explain that the brothers are a blight on the town and need to be eliminated. Although Maggie herself is not able offer much reward the town will certainly be grateful if they do.

If the PCs manage to convince Maggie they are willing to help (DC30+) she will explain the ring was payment for this month’s protection. In addition she knows but cannot prove that her bartender is hiding or knows how to get in touch with the twins and will offer what little she can spare if the PCs take care of that situation as well. Maggie might offer 25 GP or all the PCs can drink for one night at the Lucky Draw.

The PCs should be guided to the Lucky Draw at this point. They could question Woodrow further but he has no useful information for the PCs. [DM note: Should the PCs decide to investigate on their own or have failed to impress or gain Maggie’s trust Woodrow should then be empowered with the knowledge that the bartender is in “cahoots” with the twins, but he knows little else.]

The PCs can approach the Dwarven bartender, Rognoc, for information in a number of different ways. They can try Diplomacy [DC25] to sweet talk Rognoc (with a bribe perhaps) into telling them what he knows about the twins business of protection. Rognoc will at this point lead the PCs to the secret door leading to the wine cellar and tell them the passage to the twins hide-out is back behind the expensive wine’s storage racks [Area 6].

The PCs can try to Intimidate [DC20] Rognoc into revealing he does know exactly where the twins hide-out is located but will not reveal anything else. As with diplomacy he will tell them how to get to the passage leading to the twins hide-out.

The PCs can try Bluff [DC30] to try to convince Rognoc they are there to offer payment and need to see the twins right away. If the PCs succeed here not only will Rognoc lead the PCs through the secret door past and the normal wine cellar he will also lead them into the expensive wine section and open that door for them.

The PCs Passive Perception [DC20] will reveal there is a secret door leading out of the tavern behind some wine barrels. If the PCs fail to Intimidate or Bluff Rognoc this will be the only way they can find the secret door. The PCs will need to formulate a plan to get past that door unnoticed on their own. If one of the PCs is not able make a DC20 Passive Perception you can add a tavern patron who can tell the PCs that Rognoc often accepts some kind of tokens from other businessmen and then spends a long time in the wine cellar. Although the tavern patron will not really know what is going on you can have the PCs infer from that conversation that the twins hide-out is back that way.

Once the PCs have learned of the secret door and have gained entrance they will find themselves in the wine cellar [Area 5]. Searching the wine racks [DC25] the PCs will discover a lever behind the expensive wine racks that opens a secret door [Area 6] to a hallway [Area 7]. If the PCs have Rognoc as their guide he will open the secret door for them and disarm the lightening trapped hallway [Area 7] for them leaving them on their own to advance into the hideout proper.

In area [Area 8] the PCs will be greeted by the 6 Human Guards lounging around a lucid pool of water. One of the guards will demand the password from the business they represent. Once the Guards realize the PCs do not have a password they will attack the PCs. (DM Note: The guards will not be coerced or convinced in any way to let the PCs pass. The Twins will not enter this battle.)

Once the Guards have been disposed of the PCs will need to negotiate the Pit Trap [Area 9]. There is a heavy woolen curtain blocking the view to the actual hideout [Area 10].

Beyond the Pit Trap, and past the curtain, is where the PCs find the “Twin Protectors” [Area 10] and their 4 bodyguards. Brodrick (who speaks for the brothers) will agree to leave town only if the PCs pay 1000GP and succeed at a DC30 Diplomacy check, otherwise he will choose to fight. (DM note: If the PCs succeed at a DC35 Diplomacy check Brodrick will settle for 750GP to leave town). Rodrick will fight to the death in this battle however Brodrick will choose to surrender when either Rodrick is dead or all bodyguards are dead and he and Rodrick are bloodied. If the PCs accept the surrender they can turn the brother(s) over to the authorities but there is no reward for this action.  Or they can let the brother(s) go free with the brother(s) promise never to return.

Searching the room post-battle/surrender the PCs will find an un-trapped/unlocked chest containing Maggie’s ring and other valuables.

Chest contents:
1: Pouch with 420 GP
2: (2) 100 GP turquoise
3: 1 [Level 5] Thunderstone (Adventurer`s Vault)
4: 1 [Level 4] Tracking Dust (Adventurer`s Vault)
5: 3 Potion of Healing (Player`s Handbook)
6: (4) 100 GP pearls
7: Maggie’s Ring

Should the PCs defeat both brothers they will also receive the following (or either item as appropriate to the conclusion of the encounter):

1: [Level 7] Staff of the Expansion +2 (Adventurer`s Vault)
2: [Level 4] Battlecrazed Greataxe +4 (Adventurer’s Vault)

Area 8: Human Guards (X6)

human_guard.bmp 

Area 10:Rodrick and Brodrick with 4 human Lackey bodyguards

rodrick.bmp

brodrick.bmp

human_lackey.bmp 

Area 7: Lightning constantly flashes across the entire length of his hallway.

Trap [level 5] 200XP: Lightning threatens the entire hallway each square is considered difficult terrain.

Perception

• No check is necessary to notice the lightning.

• DC 22: The character notices the hidden control panel set on the wall at the opposite end of the hallway.

Arcana

• DC 18: The lightning is attracted to those touching a surface in the room. Jumping, tumbling or flying would allow one to move without attracting the lightning.

Trigger

• When a creature moves more than 1 square along a surface in the room the trap attacks as an opportunity action. The trap attacks a second time if a creature moves more than 3 squares in one turn.

Attack

• Standard Action         Ranged 10

• Target: The triggering creature and one other creature

• Attack: +9 vs. Reflex

• Hit: 1d8+2 lightning damage and ongoing 5 lightning damge (save ends).

Countermeasures

• Arcana DC 22 (Trained only; Immediate Reaction, when the trap attacks) Targets receive +2 to Reflex against the trap’s attack for the duration of the encounter.

• Acrobatics DC 20 (Trained only; Move Action) Character tumbles across the floor moving without triggering the trap.

• Athletics (Move Action) Character can avoid triggering the trap by jumping from one non-trapped square to another.

• Arcana or Thievery DC 22 (Standard Action) Six successful checks made on the control panel disables the trap.

Area 9 [level 1] 100XP: Pit Trap

Trap: A 3 X 2 section of the floor hides a 10-foot deep pit.

Perception DC 20:

• The character notices the false stonework.

Trigger

• The trap attacks when a creature enters one of the trapped squares. All the trapped squares are set to open at the same time. Once triggered the entire pit trap is visible.

Attack

• Immediate Reaction    Melee

• Targets: The creature that triggered the trap.

• Attack: +4 vs. Reflex

• Hit: Target falls into pit and taking 1d10 damage and falls prone.

• Miss: Target returns to the last square it occupied and its move action ends immediately

• Effect: The false floor opens and the pit trap is no longer hidden.

Countermeasures

• An adjacent character can trigger the trap with a DC 10 Thievery check (standard action). This would activate the trapped area and the pit trap is no longer hidden.

• An adjacent character can disable the trap with a DC 25 Thievery check (standard action). This would disable all the traps at once, the floor is now safe.

• A character that makes an Athletics check (DC 11, or DC 21 without a running start) can jump over the pit

• A character can climb out with a DC 15 Athletics check.

There you are...first blood...hope this looks good.
Why do people insist on using images for monster stat blocks?  They usually look bad due to compress artifacts and are not searchable.  I've modified my monster builder to output an html that mostly works on the forum.  Here is the black striped snaildragon.  Click visualize button on the bottom of the page to see approximately how it will look.  I still need to tweak the formatting a bit but it shows what you can do on these forums with just html.  Granted my monster builder isn't open to the public.  Feel free to copy the formating.  WotC should build that kind of output into their monster builder.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Why do people insist on using images for monster stat blocks?  They usually look bad due to compress artifacts and are not searchable.  I've modified my monster builder to output an html that mostly works on the forum.  Here is the black striped snaildragon.  Click visualize button on the bottom of the page to see approximately how it will look.  I still need to tweak the formatting a bit but it shows what you can do on these forums with just html.  Granted my monster builder isn't open to the public.  Feel free to copy the formating.  WotC should build that kind of output into their monster builder.

there is a template sticky thread on the homebrew forum, for various statblocks, as good as we are able to get it.
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
The list is updated!  Happy Thanksgiving, to our American Expert DMs!
No, I'm a muppet.  Nobody pulls my strings.... though Frank Oz does put his hand up uncomfortable places.  (Is that TMI?)

Ew!

Oh, and Dulsi, that stat-block is great. Can the html just be cut/pasted into a forum post? 
Question regarding pictures/artwork. Do the pictures we use/could use, have to be original works of art by us, or can we use artwork/pictures we've collected/googled?

thanks for any and all replies.
Long Live Dragonlance and the Nexus! I still want an athasian nightmare beast and a warforged dragon mini! "Look, Meat, I'll tear your face off, rip your throat out and eat what's left-because that's what I do to food like you." ~Thrikreen Intimidation Tactic.
My Custom 4th edition Content (New Content:0)
* My Personal 4e Darksun Material found below: Currently updating.