Teacups, Poison and Fullblades: An Assassins Handbook

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Merv,

Here is a nice little book I'm sure any wannabe assassin would want to read.

Regards
Hatori Hanzo

ed22c959f5aa462d332be2aec568df14.gif?v=1413007a38ab1ceb123201a8dcf65aaf1339b6.gif?v=254250

418acd9d98623a5a139d484a011f8997.gif?v=25425005f3d7bf6df8ca3eb31ccf483344f2d4.gif?v=2542506777d6445b56931c2e6ca9183c5be3ca.gif?v=254250bdf4997f1a5e018a8459aee4eb8b0138.gif?v=254250a26538bd9d21fa900efa599ed861781a.gif?v=2542503752337990726538605ed3fe09cd1554.gif?v=254250
I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.

Getting Started: Overview, Ability Scores, and Races

[u]Baseline Mechanics[/u]

[u]Features[/u]

Assassin’s Shroud – This is your striker damage ability, and you will be using it every single round; it is the mechanic this class revolves around. Since you still damage even on a miss, you probably want to have at least two on a target before invoking them, and if you can get sneaking off before the battle, you will probably stack as many as possible on a foe before hitting them (hopefully four). Learn every nook and cranny of Assassin’s Shroud, and become very proficient with when and how to optimize it.

Shade Form – This will mostly be used for sneaking around before combat, as you can make Stealth checks from behind just about anything with it, and even if you are noticed, you’re taking half damage. You can also use this in combat, however it goes away after you make an attack roll or stop sustaining it. With this, its possible to tank huge amounts of damage, but not very advised to do so. A crafty assassin though will find ways to use this power, and never make attack rolls for at least a good period of time while still be an asset to the party.

Shadow Step – This power is extreamly useful. Esspecially if your team is masters of the battlefield. Combined with a wizard or some summons, you can easily move around. Esspecially useful in dungeons, a little less so in open areas. Crafty assassins will find ways to expand this power, and other ways to get to use it.

Guild Training – You only have two choices as of now, though we have been promised another in a future article:

• Bleak Disciple – Getting THP is very nice. Though one flaw is you have to hit unbloodied enemies. This could be a problem, however when you can kill many enemies before its bloodied, becomes less of a problem.

• Night Stalker – Pure damaging goodness here. However you lose the defense that bleak disciple could give you. Not much a problem though as you can kill even more enemies with this, and dead things attack no one.

Nightstalker.gif
[u]Ability Scores[/u]

Strength.gif

Constitution – This is the secondary score for Bleak Disciples, who want it at at least 16.Also, because of your low HP in general, and the allure of Hide armor, you probably want at least a 12 in here, and a 14 would be nice. If you are a Bleak Disciple going after warlock powers, you might want a 16-18 after racial bonuses.
Dexterity.gif

Dexterity – This is your most important stat for so many reasons. It is the primary ability score for powers, so it helps both attack and damage, and as a striker, you need both. It also affects your initiative and AC, which you need to have as good as possible. Finally, some of your favorite skills, like Acrobatics, Thievery, and, of course, Stealth key off of it. What more could you ask for? A 16 before racial is just about mandatory, though an 18 is pushing it (an 18 after racial is preferred).

Intelligence.gif

Intelligence – Unfortunately, being smart really isn’t very important to you. Your Int overlaps with Dex for just about everything, and, unless you find yourself using Arcana often, it really doesn’t help skills much. You could afford an 8 in here.

Wisdom – Not a secondary stat, but important for several notable reasons. First off, if you are a Bleak Disciple, you probably want this better than your Cha for pumping Will, unless you just love Bluff and Intimidate. Wis boosts Perception, and it’s honestly shameful for an assassin to be caught by one of his own kind.

Charisma – The secondary ability for Night Stalkers, who will want this at least at 16. This also boosts your Bluff and Intimidate, which you might use very little or often, depending on the campaign. Bleak Disciples will likely skip this for Wisdom, so they need a lower score, 10-12 probably.

[u]Races[/u]

Races, PHB
Dragonborn.gifDwarf.gif

DragonbornDwarf 

Gnome.gif
Gnome

Halfing.gif

Halfling – Your stat bonuses are great for Night Stalker, and your skill bonuses are great as well; even Nimble Reactions helps you. But you’re small, so your weapons will be limited in damage. However, there are some really nice implement attacks for Assassins, so you’ll still hold your own.

Eladrin – +2 Dex, Good racial power, good feat support. This race would generally focus on heavy amounts of teleportation and avoidance, making them a very hard assassin to ever pin down. Can follow Bleak or Nightstalker fairly easily.

Elf – +2 dex, great racial power and feat support. Can easily favor either side. This one is a little more capable of doing good damage do to the uses its racial power could have.

Half-Elf – +2 to Con/Cha. While not having a dex increase, this means you can easily follow either way. Feat support is also really good, though a little lacking on the elven side.

*****Current List I've gone through ^^^

Human – The bonus to only one ability score is okay for Assassins, but sub-optimal. The NAD bonuses help cover your weak spots. The extra at-will is somewhat limited as of now, but is still helpful and will undoubtedly be useful in the future. The feat and skill, as always, are very nice for you, especially if your DM makes you get Hidden Insight to sneak n’ shroud.

Tiefling – Cha bonus and decent racials for an Assassin, very average overall, though the flavor is nice You know how to optimize Tieflings.

Races, PHB2

Deva – Oh, a race with Int and Wis bonuses? Just what Assassins don’t need! Memory is nice, and the feat is okay, and they get defensive boosts, but really, you can do better.

Goliath – Well, you’ll qualify for Hide armor easily. And you’re a little less squishy. However, your racial Assassin feat is ridiculously good, and you'll be able to pick hammers up easily for even more damage. Goliath Greatweapon Prowess and other racials also bump you up.

Half-Orc – Nice stats, especially for Bleak Disciples looking to go for Hide, and the racial power helps damage and racial stuff makes you tougher.

Shifter, Razorclaw – Okay, it’s an elf, but a little worse. The speed boost makes you faster when bloodied, and the defense bonuses are nice with that shifting, but do you really want to be bloodied with your squishiness?

Shifter, Longtooth – Two stats you really don’t need. I would say you could do worse, but that’d be pretty hard. I guess the power is decent…

Races, PHB3

Githzerai – Again, an elf clone, but this one’s pretty good. The power is great for boosting defenses and the initiative boost is cool. Although you don’t get a Cha or Con bonus, overall, especially with Githzerai Blade Mastery, this is a pretty strong race.

Minotaur – Pretty much the same as the Goliath, only more melee oriented. But hey, you were going Bleak Disciple anyways as a Minotaur, weren’t you?

Wilden – Think better Dwarves: not slow, defense bonus, and good racial powers. Oh, and you will be choosing Destroyer (maybe Hunter), because that power is ridiculous.

FRPG

Drow – Optimal stats for Night Stalkers, great racial powers, and darkvision. If you can walk around in the dark constantly, more power to you.

Genasi – Str and Int. Not so good stat wise, but some of the new Gensai that just came out might be Helpful. Especially with Reverants.

EPG

Changeling – CA once per encounter, perfect stats for Night Stalkers, amazing at disguising, even an extra defense bonus. Very solid race, and great flavor (My current assassin). Makes a remarkable 'victim' assassin.

Kalashtar – Your stat bonuses could be worse, but your abilities are oriented away from striker. Telepathy could be fun.

Warforged – The only reason I mark this as worse than Goliaths and Minotaurs is because THP doesn’t stack.

Manual of the Planes

Bladeling – All you’ve got going for you is a Dex bonus, really.

Dragon

Gnoll – Definitely one of the best races for Assassins, especially Bleak Disciples. Great speed, great power, good damage bonuses, decent feats.

Revenant – Wow, both good Dex and Con races in a row. Revenants are amazing Assassins, and they really favor neither. Both Guilds like Con for HP, and Unnatural Vitality lets you not only attack someone, but you can still use Assassin’s Shroud.  When looking at feats, don’t forget your Past Life. Some races that might have bad stats, might have great feats.

Shadar-Kai – Basically exactly the same as Eladrin.

MM1 and MM2

[color=Magenta]Bugbear[/color] – Think Half-Orcs, but worse. I guess Oversized is good. Maybe this should be Black.

Bullywug – Okay, you have nice stat bonuses. Otherwise, you pretty much suck.

Duergar – Like Wilden, only more offensive. Their racial power is great, the stat boosts are okay, but darkvision.

Githyanki – Initiative bonus, Con bonus, defense bonus and racial are solid. Int is useless, though.

Goblin – Your ability score bonuses are perfect for Night Stalkers. The skill bonuses, Reflex bonus and racial are all good as well. Small, though, unfortunately, so go for more ranged attacks.

[color=Magenta]Hobgoblin[/color] – You have a bonus to both secondary stats. Nothing else, really.

Kenku – Great stat bonuses, great skill bonuses, better flanking is fun. If they just had better feats… Also, Mimicry could be amazing for an Assassin.

Kobold – Dex and Con are good stat boosts, good skill bonuses, and good racial power. However, you are small, and you have no feat support and no really good other bonuses.

Orc – Goliaths and Minotaurs that are worse and have no feat support.

I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.
Reserved for MC, Hybrid, Archtypes.

Build 1 - Infiltrator.

The Infiltrator build is a pretty strange build, as it revolves around the belt of the brawler and ki focus interactions. Essentially, the belt makes any improvised weapon into a club, which your proficient with, and you can use that with your ki focus.

This build is meant to appear weak and frail. Possibly posing as an old man or other less threatening individual, when suddenly you are killing people with your walker. Because the infiltrator is based on the implement rather than weapons, it has major overlapping with Swiss Army Knife.

Build 2 - Swiss Army Knife

This one picks up particular proficiencies for the weapons normal properties. Dynamic Weapons work great in this regard, especially daggers as they are light weapons. The Swiss Army Knife always has a weapon for the Job on hand and with a belt of the brawler, they can overlap the Infiltrator. (Though the Swiss Army Knife is more weapon based in power choices and tends to have less charisma)

Build 3 - Deer in the Headlights.

This Build loves weapons. Big weapons. Fullblade and Executioner axe are its favorite, especially full blade. Even with this giant weapon you drag around, its so ridiculous your enemies have no choice but to erase you from their minds, a fatal mistake. For Ignorance is not bliss, and what you don't know can and will hurt you.

Heroic-Tier Powers

For these I'm only going up myself up to level 5. And mostly changing from GnomeNinja5's version, something I personally didn't agree with myself. As I play through my versatile assassin, I'll post more on here.

If there is unhelpful data about a power (such as weeee! I'm a kobold!) tell me, and how it should be fixed.

[u]Level 1, At-Will[/u]

Executioner’s Noose – Pretty good at doing a bit of controlling. Properly used, you can really hurt some enemies plans of attacks, such as bats that use the fly by attack. I highly Suggest this power for any implement based Assassin or any human based.
[color=Blue]Inescapable Blade[/color] – Though you don’t get Dex modifier to damage, ignoring cover is good, and you can use reach weapons to cover even more ground. Try to find ways to attack where you have super cover.[color=Black]Leaping Shades[/color] – I can’t say this is a bad power, because it really does have its uses. But typically, Shadow Storm will deal more damage, and you should be invoking your shrouds periodically; you’ll do more damage.Shadow Storm – Oh, yes, here it is. This at-will can do wonderful amounts of damage in a mob, or if you have a large party. What’s really fun for Night Stalkers is that even if you don’t get your Cha bonus because two enemies are adjacent, you at least get 2 extra damage (remember, you are a creature). In addition, if you flank with a buddy, you get +2 attack and +2 damage, at least!

[u]Level 1, Encounter[/u]

[color=Blue]Gloom Thief[/color] – If you can immobilize the enemy somehow, or if used in tight spaces, this power is great. Otherwise, you have solid damage and a decent effect.

Nightmare Shades – Being vs. Will is great, and it also does good damage and gives you +2 to hit and +Cha damage if you are a Night Stalker. This will probably be the Night Stalker choice at this level, and is Sky Blue for them.
[color=Deepskyblue]Shadow Darts[/color] – You can do good damage early on with this, and, even if the first attack or two misses, your shrouds are still fine. Better yet, If one of them crits, the entire power is counted as a crit. But the other two die still have to "hit" for you to get thier d8. However, if you have a DM who believes that shrouds shouldn't get maxed out on a crit, this attack may not be as good as it really should be.

Smothering Shadow – Better if you are a Bleak Disciple, but I’m not sure if it’s really great. Probably Blue for them.

[u]Level 1, Daily[/u]

[color=Blue]Grave Spike[/color] – The damage is okay, but the ongoing is pretty nice, and prone is great for CA. The attack bonus makes it more likely your shrouds will be used to their fullest effect.

[color=Blue]Strangling Shadow[/color] – Likely to hit since vs. Fort, and the effect lets you be controller-y and does ongoing damage, but the base damage is meh. Plus, you can completely isolate it, which is nice for Night Stalkers.

Targeted for Death – vs. Will is good, the damage is pretty good, and the effect is devastating. Personally I use Killers insight turn 1, then pop this lovely on turn 2, AP and follow up with shadow darts. "One hit" killed a non-minion with this combo.

[color=Magenta]Terrifying Visage[/color] – I feel like Changelings should get a bonus to this one :P. In all seriousness, this is pretty overshadowed by Strangling Shadow, as it tries to isolate an enemy, but is less accurate, has no ongoing damage, and you can’t keep isolating it.

[u]Level 2, Utility[/u]
Note, I am okay at best at judging utilities, so other opinions on this would be nice.

Cat’s Trickery – If it were able to douse every light source, it would be great. As it stands, it’s so-so. Drow skip this.

Cloak of Shades – Useful both in and out of combat. You give yourself good defense bonuses in battle, and it can be used with Shade Form to hide anywhere.

Lurking Shadow

I think Lurking Shadow is  under rated. It's a sustained invisibility that you can attack from. I would be surprised if you couldn't get this off for at least 1/2 a fight per session. The fact that it makes you invisible and silent (depending on how your DM reads that) makes you almost impossible to target. And it is an easy way to get Combat Advantage. 

Shadow Meld – Your entire party just became stealthy! If you travel around with a bunch of clunkers, this is a nice contender for this level, as it lets your whole party try to position themselves for a battle 1/day.

[u]Level 2, Skill Utilities[/u]

Agile Recovery - This power here allows you to continue to maintain your biggest defense. Mobility. In addition, you can take a minor defense increase vs ranged attacks by dropping prone and easily popping up again next turn and running away.

[u]Level 3, Encounter[/u]

[color=Blue]Army of the Night[/color] – Note that this is a weapon vs. Will, which is very accurate, so it’s a good power to invoke shrouds on. The damage is pretty bad, but there are benefits: other enemies may not know about the effect, and if they do it keeps your foe isolated for Night Stalkers.

[color=Magenta]Cloaking Mist[/color] – Eh, it’s a blast with okay damage, but attacking multiple foes doesn’t do much for you. The effect can be nice, but it’s situational.

[color=Black]Inescapable Shadow[/color] – Good for its mobility, but you might be able to get to your target aways. Still, it frees up your move action for other uses, and does decent damage.

[color=Blue]Nightshade’s Kiss[/color] – For mini-controllers, eat your heart out. Weapon vs. Reflex makes it accurate, and with decent damage and a good controller effect, the whole party can move someone around the battlefield for a turn. Bleak Disciples get even more fun.

[u]Level 5, Daily[/u]

[color=Black]Heart of Dust[/color] – The damage is okay, and so is the effect. However, it can keep the enemy isolated nicely, or damage nearby enemies if they don’t know. Note this is your first poison power.

Shadow Soul – This is really intended to pressure artillery so you stay adjacent I think, but overall it’s not that great of a power.

[color=Blue]Treacherous Shades[/color] - This can be used really well as a divide and conquer power, as who wants to constantly grant CA?

Twilight Assassin – After working with is power a bit, I've found it quite nice. Its not so much the initial damage that is the main focus of the power, but the rider effect. It creates a shadow that has a minor attack that does negligible damage, but combined with Nightstalker, you will be able to easily pull 30 damage a round by attacking three times on the enemy. If your DM says that nightstalker doesn't add, because you are not the one attacking, then the power works in the other way allowing you to maintain shades form, while doing only about 12 damage around.

I've not yet quite looked at the other three powers enough yet though. Mostly only this power and its big brother Guild of Shadows, for some nasty dailies.

[u]Level 6, Utility[/u]

Darting Shadow – Very similar to some of the rogues abilities, except one minor change. That is the fact you don't make another roll at the end of the movement, you simply stay hidden from everything you were hidden from before so long as you have any sort of 'enviromental' protection (Cover/Conceal). Because it is an At will power it will, it gets particularly favorable marks from me.

[color=Magenta]Sheltering Dark[/color] – This reminds me of Cloak of Shades. Which was level 2.

[color=Blue]Slayer’s Escape[/color] – Would be ridiculous if it were an Interrupt. But it isn’t. As it is, it’s still a very solid hex.

[color=Blue]Slithering Shadow[/color] – Wheeeee, you’re a kobold!

[u]Level 7, Encounter[/u]

Captured Shadow – Damage is pretty weak at this level, but so are all the other Assassin powers here. The fun thing is you can move it on its own turn, at any point, and it can isolate it for Night Stalkers. Controller-y.

[color=Blue]Echoing Threat[/color] – vs. Will, but the damage is pitiful. It serves to isolate the target by making it move away from others, or deal damage to there targets, so it’s a bit controller-ish. Night Stalkers get to really close in on it then.

Shadow Jack – This can be a really fun power. It’s okay attack and damage-wise, and it adds to your defense as well with insubstantial. If you have good defenses, then this can be a great power; even if not, it deters enemies from trying to hit you.

Shadow Link – Damage is just okay, and the effect is honestly pretty bad, as you can only get up to three more shrouds on the target, and do you really want to be hit? For Bleak Disciples, that piddly THP won’t do much to help here.

[u]Level 9, Daily[/u]

[color=Magenta]Black Garrote[/color] – Okay, so the damage and controlling elements on this power might look nice, but you are stuck to this guy, and you have to burn Standard actions, and you don’t make any more attacks. Say bye to invoking shrouds for a while. Can be used as a delay, though, while you build up shrouds. Just keep your Fort and Ref high if you go for this. Oh, and it’s reliable, which is nice, I guess.

Bound by Shadow – The weapon vs. Fort makes it more likely to hit, but this can be really fun if you use it on an enemy leader. It might do weak damage initially, but the target likely won’t attack you, and other enemies might hesitate if the target is important. Pretty defensive.

[color=Blue]Obscuring Shadows[/color] – Weapon vs. Will is always nice, the damage is okay, and the effect is neat, especially against solos.

[color=Black]Wall of Shadows[/color] – Mini-controllers can have fun with this. You attempt to deter creatures from moving through it, and it blocks line of sight. The biggest issue, though, is that it’s only a Wall 5. It really doesn’t help your mobility that much, and the damage is pretty pitiful.

[u]Level 10, Utility[/u]

Mist Walk – This is nice for your mobility, especially if there are obstacles or enemies in your way, but it’s a daily. It’s comparable to Expeditious Retreat, a level 1 Wizard utility power.

Promise of Retribution – Another nice revenge power: you teleport to safety, then go back to beat them up. Unfortunately, also a daily.

Seeker of Shadow – Once combat has already started, sneaking is a lot less important. Still, the damage bonus is okay and being undetectable has its perks.

[color=DeepSkyBlue]Slayer’s Endurance[/color] – Up to 20 THP once per encounter? That’s very good to mitigate your squishiness, though Bleak Disciples need to note that THP doesn’t stack.

Paragon-Tier Powers

[u]Level 13, Encounter[/u]

Dark Step Ambush – Oh hey, look, it’s that level 3 power Inescapable Shroud, but with an invisibility rider! Okay, that’s nice, but shouldn’t we be getting a little more bang for our buck 10 levels later?

Flurry of Talons – This is nice, and to me it’s better than Dark Step Ambush. Though you don’t turn invisible, you move farther and deal more damage. Also, it’s really likely your shrouds will hit with it.

Slayer in the Dark – Another one meant to isolate the target for you Night Stalkers. This can be a really, really good power if you have a party full of druids, wizards, fighter, warlocks or others who push, pull and slide often. If only the damage were a little better, but I suppose it is meant to control more than strike.

[color=Blue]Well of Shades[/color] – This is a great controlling power, but only really for Bleak Disciples, as Night Stalkers are probably leaving themselves too open after the attack. The damage isn’t too shabby either, but it does target Fort.

[u]Level 15, Daily[/u]

Bleak Gallows – The damage is okay, but the effect if great for those who either like to isolate, or control. Be careful that you don’t keep teleporting someone who likes to charge or stay away; you have to make sure you have an appropriate target.

Death’s Doorstep – Weapon vs. Reflex, so it’s accurate, and the 3[W] is nice damage. The effect doesn’t help you that much, but if you’re fighting someone who makes you miss an annoying amount of the time, this power is invaluable. It’s another daily that helps your shrouds to be better.

Shade Venom – The attack itself is okay, but there’s one thing you need to note about the effect: you can’t make an OA against it if you invoke it. Thus you have to plan with this power, so people who will be moving away from you anyways are good targets, or you only invoke it on turns when it’s already away from you.

[color=DeepSkyBlue]Sundered Shadow[/color] – I absolutely love this power, and it is simply wonderful to use against people in the back ranks, who will likely try to escape you anyways. Keep in mind, this allows you to use any melee power against it from anywhere on the battlefield, but you still have to have line of sight and effect to it.

[u]Level 16, Utility[/u]

Assassin’s Defense – While a defensive power is very welcome, it’s extremely limited for this level. Invisibility is always nice, but +2 is not that likely to make a difference, and you can only use it against your shroud target.

Liquid Shadow – Now, that’s a defensive power! Another one of those nice retribution powers, this one lets you be both less squishy and move about. Also, keep in mind this enemy need not be one you’re focusing on; that’s why you have Shadow Step.

Shadow Meld – This is a very nice desperation power, and it will save your skin.

[color=Blue]Thief of Names[/color] – This power both has an RP aspect, and a combat aspect, which is nice. Keep in mind, it can be any creature you have ever seen, any. In combat, using this on the big boss often turns it into a duel between you and him, so be sure that you can handle that.

[u]Level 17, Encounter[/u]

Mob of Shadows – The damage is decent and it’s pretty accurate. This is a good control power, and, ironically, an isolating power intended for Bleak Disciples. However, you must remember that you cannot make an OA against an enemy you damage, but this can take out minions easily.

Shadow Fire – This is one of those powers that is meant for you to invoke our shrouds with, and it has decent damage and an okay effect to boot.

Shadowed Deception – vs. Will is nice, and the damage is pretty good. The effect is very nice for an encounter power, especially since it grants CA in general, not just to you, if you’re a Night Stalker, making it a Blue power for them.

[color=Black]Traitorous Shadow[/color] – The damage this power deals is good, and it really keeps artillery and controllers out for at turn, or at least deters them. However, I can’t say it’s lack of accuracy really makes it equal to Shadow Fire, so I have to make it Black.

[u]Level 19, Daily[/u]

Consign to Shadow – Accurate and damaging, and tries to make a duel between you and the baddie. Again, I have to warn you that you need to be prepared to duel them. It also prevents enemies from helping the monster in any way, and you can keep going after it turn after turn.

Executioner’s Blade – This power is reliable, and it is ridiculously deadly. Keep in mind that even if you miss, you still deal max shroud damage and you can use it again later.

Guild of Shadows – This is a nice power for controlling enemy formations, but the fact that you can’t help your allies flank or beat up on one enemy with them limits it. vs. Will is nice, and the damage is pretty good. The effect is very nice for an encounter power, especially since it grants CA in general, not just to you, if you’re a Night Stalker, making it a Blue power for them.

[color=Blue]Traitorous Shadow[/color] – Very accurate, damaging, and an effect that just about lets you have CA versus it until the end of the encounter. I’d say that’s pretty good. However, I have to say that all of these powers seem a little lackluster compared to other striker powers of this level.

Reserved for Epic Tier powers

Noteworthy Feats

[u]Heroic Tier Feats[/u]

Assassin

Assassin’s Cloak – Might not seem like its too useful, but remember becoming invisible doesn't make it so you are undetectable. You also need to become silent, and this feat helps with that.

Assassin’s Escape – Ever since I've gotten this power, I've not ever looked back and said "Golly gee wilikers. I wish i hadn't gotten that power because I suck so much now." Instead It has allowed me to lead off, lure enemies into my little traps with little to no fear of retaliation. Because if they hit me, I'm insubstantial. It makes your shades form even more efficient, allowing for much easier to time slaying enemies and not caring if you get hit.

Hidden Insight – What should have been part of the shrouds, this feat allows you to hide and start throwing on shrouds onto the enemies without them knowing. Especially useful before combat, but a crafty assassin might be able to easily it even during combat.

Killer Insight – This is invaluable, if only because two shrouds are better than one. As with escape, this power turns your original abilities into more efficient ones.

[color=Blue]Brutal Shroud[/color] – Again increases efficiency for your starting powers. I've not taken it, so i can exactly say how much just yet.

Nightmare Killer –While many good powers have a fear key word in them, there just isn't enough yet to make this worth it. Maybe a MC or a hybrid could use it.

[color=Magenta]Nightmare Step[/color] – Similar problem with Nightmare killer, just not enough fear powers to make it really worth it.

Shadow Veil Assassin – This similar to Nightmare Killer, in that there aren’t enough illusion powers to make this worth it.

Shadow Veil Disappearance – Not that great, for similar reasons to Shadow Veil Assassin.

Venom Hand Assassin – Some what more difficult to use over MC feats, but since this can be used with MC feats its a bit better. Several things have resistance or immunity to poision so you will need other Venom based feats.

Venom Hand Killer – While based only on assassin powers, this feat tends to have some difficulty. However throw in poison weapons or consumable poison and you become deadly. Even worse is if you hybrid or MC with Seeker (when availible) in order to get thier entire line of poison based attacks.

Venom Hand Assassin – Alone, this wouldn't be worth picking up. Combine with other Venom feats though, and you start getting somewhere. MC with Seeker (when available) and you get even further. Use alchemy and poison weapons to really cheese it out.

Standard
Toughness – Again I cannot say how exactly useful it is. 5 hp is more than not having 5 hp. With more HP the fear of getting hit decreases allowing for more reckless maneuvers. Which translates into more damage.

Focused Expertise – If you are Ki focused but wish to switch between many weapons, this is invaluable. If you are specific weapon though, might as well get that one instead. Can't use this and magical weapon properties at the same time though.

Proficiency
[color=Blue]Armor Proficiency (Hide)[/color] – Being a Nighstalker, I don't have the stats for it. But someone else might. Chainmail though might be better for a special teleport armor.

Paragon

Standard
[color=black]Armor Specialization (Hide)[/color] - If you got Hide Proficiency, you qualify for this and it mitigates the penalty you’ve been suffering for 10 levels.

Hammer Rhythm - If you have the Str for this and use a Mordenkrad, then this could be useful.

Improved Initiative – Going early is always nice, though hopefully you’re also getting a surprise round.

Melee Training – You are in melee a lot, and any opportunity to do extra damage is good. Opportunity attacks are your friend, and charging can be too.

Nimble Blade – If you use Light Blades, this is a decent investment.

Weapon Focus – Probably for Heavy Blades; extra damage is always good.

Weapon Proficiency – This is for the Fullblade, which you will likely be using. Bleak Disciples with high Str may go for Mordenkrad, as they will be more likely to qualify for Bludgeon Mastery.

Wintertouched – Standard combo with Lasting Frost.

[u]Paragon Tier Feats[/u]

Agile Athlete – You might climb, jump, and do stunts a lot, so this could be useful.

Danger Sense – Improved Initiative is better, but if you need initiative for some reason, this is always there to help.

[color=Blue]Defensive Advantage[/color] – Hopefully you have CA a lot, but even if you don’t, +2 conditional AC is good.

Fleet-Footed - +1 speed is nice, but not necessary.

[color=DeepSkyBlue]Heavy Blade Opprotunity[/color] – If you have the Str for this, then definitely take this.

Lasting Frost – With Wintertouched, of course.

Minion of the Dark – Darkvision is great, especially if you can get rid of light sources.

[color=Blue]Nightmare Master[/color] – Many of the fear powers are good powers, and dazed is a great condition; however, it really only prevents OAs and gives CA to allies or you if you use an AP.

[u]Epic Tier Feats[/u]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]Epic Fortitude/Reflexes/Will[/color] - These feats offer a huge untyped boost to some NAD. Great if you need a filler feat.

[color=Blue]Poison’s Partner (Dragon)[/color] – If you love poison powers, then this a natural choice.

[color=DeepSkyBlue]Robust Defenses[/color] – You will be retraining Paragon defenses to this.

Weapon Mastery – If you have the Str, Con, and Dex for any of these, go for it. However, you probably don’t.

Noteworthy Racial Feats

[u]Heroic Racial Feats[/u]

Action Surge (Human) - You are a human, and as such, this is your amazing feat you will take sooner or later.

Blurring Claws (Razorclaw Shifter) - You'll probably have CA more and more as you gain levels, so +2 damage is nothing to scoff at.

Dwarven Weapon Training (Dwarf) - Since you may have been going for Hammers anyways, the Superior Weapon Proficiency and +2 damage are great, making WF unneccessary until Epic.

Goliath Greatweapon Prowess (Goliath) - With this, you don't even need Superior Weapon Proficiency.

Hellfire Blood (Tiefling) - Typical flaming weapon stuff.

[color=Blue]Markings of the Victor[/color] (Goliath) - Rerolling your first attack roll is great for Assassins, who usually invoke all their shrouds. And it ups your crit chance.

[color=Blue]Thirst for Battle[/color] (Half-Orc) - Both helps you go first in combat, and to mitigate a little of your squish.

Reserved for paths and destinies
Reserved for Items

Dynamic Weapons - These are great for a Ki focus focused assassin who wants to be more veristile. Just get some +1 daggers, and you can easily carry an armies worth of weapons.

Incisive Dagger - A great dagger to use offhanded, since you can now teleport even further now. getting this, you can move as fast a slower race walks. Very great if you are said slower race, because you will be able to move faster than you normally can.
Tactics

Invisibility

I think there is a defensive combo move that isn't being taken into account that:

Darting Shadow
Assassin's Cloak
Any Item/Power that makes you invisible.

For example, if you use Dark Step Ambush on your turn and hit, you become invisible (-5 to hit) w/ free action Stealth Check to become hidden (Have to guess your square). You can then use a move action to use Darting Shadow to move your speed without a penalty, to retain your (essentially) untargetable status.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that a DM would opt to take the -5 penalty to attack your invisible character depending on how much damage you've done, what the other characters are doing, and positioning. But any DM would be hard pressed to find a justification for their monsters "guessing squares" however they decide to play that. They're actions are better spent finding a new target.

Say what you will about the Assassin's HP and Defenses, imo the best defense is not being the target in the first place. I would upgrade Darting Shadow and Assassin's Cloak for these reasons. This trick can be pulled off multiple times per encounter depending on power/item choice.

Feel free to post any comments or messages now.
 d9ffdd9b4jn.gif

I'll be updating this regularly, esspecially as I get data with the two assassin builds i've got going so far.

Wow, Chanter when did you apprentice to LordDuskBlade???
I thought he was the only guy who could post a forum that was EXACTLY what I wanted.

I cant wait too see your Paragon Path opinions!
(I have yet to see a must have PP.)

Edit: Also, serious bonus points for the Fire Emblem Assassin vid!!! As you can tell from my profile I am a BIG fan.

Double Edit: Dont change the Kobold line, its what makes that power gold!

Wow, Chanter when did you apprentice to LordDuskBlade???
I thought he was the only guy who could post a forum that was EXACTLY what I wanted.

I cant wait too see your Paragon Path opinions!
(I have yet to see a must have PP.)

Edit: Also, serious bonus points for the Fire Emblem Assassin vid!!! As you can tell from my profile I am a BIG fan.

Double Edit: Dont change the Kobold line, its what makes that power gold!

Well most of this is the old handbook, but since thats not getting updated, I'm taking it and going to start work to finish it up. Esspecially after i sleep. Expect some new information (especially twilight assassin) with in the next few days.
I must say, I love this even if just for all the Fire Emblem pics. Always wanted to see a FE DnD game... Either way, great job.
Well being a bit of a fancy person that I am, slowly the handbook will be transformed into a much nicer picture form. Esspecially as i find some old "book" graphics to use for it.
READ THE ERRATA.

I've only skimmed this, but you still have Hero of Faith listed as a reason for taking 15 Wis.  Not... not any more.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
READ THE ERRATA.

I've only skimmed this, but you still have Hero of Faith listed as a reason for taking 15 Wis.  Not... not any more.

Okay, I'll delete that entry for now.
First line of post three....the word is "Archetypes" not "Arch types"

It's about time someone picked this up, though I'm not sure how I feel about "Teacups" being in the title =P
Assassin Diaries Blog Thread
First line of post three....the word is "Archetypes" not "Arch types"

It's about time someone picked this up, though I'm not sure how I feel about "Teacups" being in the title =P

I put in Teacups because people have had been going on about how the assassin could kill you with one.  Since teacups and fullblades are often talked about with assassins, those appear in the title. Then course poison is typical for an assassin as well.
Thanks a bunch for this. GnomeNinja5 got caught up in life stuff, and basically had to leave the forums. This is great though.

Good job Chanter Hound. One suggestion is detailing the powers a little more, like an overview of what they do. "Weee I'm a kobold" (from the old guide, I know), is not very helpful.
Thanks a bunch for this. GnomeNinja5 got caught up in life stuff, and basically had to leave the forums. This is great though.

Good job Chanter Hound. One suggestion is detailing the powers a little more, like an overview of what they do. "Weee I'm a kobold" (from the old guide, I know), is not very helpful.

For these I'm only going up myself up to level 5. And mostly changing from GnomeNinja5's version, something I personally didn't agree with myself. As I play through my versitile assassin, I'll post more on here.

If there is unhelpful data about a power (such as weeee! I'm a kobold!) tell me, and how it should be fixed.

Hence the reason i had that. I'm doing some speculation on powers, but most powers that I've done are rated off my personal experiences with the power.

Feel free to make speculations, or give experiences with powers so that we can better set up the hand book here.
After reading through what is posted I have some notes:

1) Lurking Shadow

I think Lurking Shadow is  under rated. It's a sustained invisibility that you can attack from. I would be suprised if you couldn't get this off for at least 1/2 a fight per session. The fact that it makes you invisible and silent (depending on how your DM reads that) makes you almost impossible to target. And it is an easy way to get Combat Advantage. The fact that is is a Standard Action to use would make me think put it at Dark Blue at the very least.

2) Invisibility

I think there is a defensive combo move that isn't being taken into account that:

Darting Shadow
Assassin's Cloak
Any Item/Power that makes you invisible.

For example, if you use Dark Step Ambush on your turn and hit, you become invisible (-5 to hit) w/ free action Stealth Check to become hidden (Have to guess your square). You can then use a move action to use Darting Shadow to move your speed without a penalty, to retain your (essentially) untargetable status.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that a DM would opt to take the -5 penalty to attack your invisible character depending on how much damage you've done, what the other characters are doing, and positioning. But any DM would be hard pressed to find a justification for their monsters "guessing squares" however they decide to play that. They're actions are better spent finding a new target.

Say what you will about the Assassin's HP and Defenses, imo the best defense is not being the target in the first place. I would upgrade Darting Shadow and Assassin's Cloak for these reasons. This trick can be pulled off multiple times per encounter depending on power/item choice.
Great start so far! Here's my bits to contribute. (:

Multiclassing Rogues are going to want to pay very close attention to the latest support article for them in Dragon.

Duelist Panache, a Heroic Tier Rogue feat will let you add your Charisma modifier to acrobatics and athletics checks. Noteworthy in that it STACKS, rather than replaces. Go ahead. Walk a tightrope WHILE you carry a party member, Night Stalkers.

Blade and Buckler Duelist, another Heroic feat, gives an extra point of Shield bonus for those wielding light shields.

Not to look down on our blade-wielding masterminds, but for both function and fluff, consider the quarterstaff. (Hear me out.)
Yes, you'll have to burn a feat to gain proficiency in it (Assassins only get ONE-handed simple melee), and probably want to spend another for Staff Fighting, but Staff of the Serpent is STAGGERING for Poison-focused Assassins of either guild training. D8 crit die, and an extra d6 of poison damage on every melee attack made with the staff. This is incredible for multi-attackers. The daily power also can institute or increase ongoing poison damage.
Oh, the fluff I mentioned? What's more innocuous than just tottering about with a walking stick? It simply turns out to be FULL OF POISONY DOOM!

ETA: Leaping Shade should probably go up a grade or two if you more reason to get up close and seek CA or a flank on your opponent. I'm playing a Kenku Night Stalker Assassin in LFR, and this power is my go-to when I absolutely need to hit. A Subtle weapon also makes this worthwhile.

I would also reccomend going up to chainmail, but ONLY for Eladrin Armor. No speed or check penalties, and a scaling increase to teleport ranges. Hard to beat, especially when it has the same feat-cost (1) as Hide, requires only a 12 in Str and Con to start if you want it by Paragon, and the armor specialization feat is Dex-based. The difference in AC between leather and chainmail, with enchantment and masterwork progression, will be equal to or better than your Dex modifier.
I'm building an Assassin/Rogue that uses light blades, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks the Surprising Charge feat is any good?  To me it looks great, if you combine it with Melee Training, it gives you an At-Will charge (free move and +1 attack) that does 2[W]+Dex damage!  Seems better than Shadow Storm in lots of situations.  Seeing as how there are lots of ways to remain hidden or invisible, you can often charge away from or past enemies without drawing an OA.  If you carry around an extra spear you could use it with reach too.

I never see this feat mentioned though, so maybe it's not as good as I'm imagining.  Anyone have any experience with it?
I haven't played that much, but I found Inescapable Shadow to be rather good. With it, you can stand behind your defender, attack with it and zip back with Shadow Step. That's one less round you have to stand toe-to-toe with the enemy. And being away from danger is the best way to survive for the assassin, imo.

Edited: Meant Inescapable Shadow, not Blade
I personally haven't had any experience with it, so i hadn't posted anything on it myself.

As for leaping shades.. why is it your "have to hit power" Its Dex vs AC like most other powers.

from a logisitics stand point, Shadow storm is capable of dealing more damage than Leaping shades, with less effort. Or rather.. with leaping shades you do less damage when you invoke than you would with shadow storm. Because you count as 1 creature, so you almost always do 1[W] + Dex + 1

Noose and Blade have thier utility effects on them, which excuses them from damage comparisions. Putting them at 2/5 since you are after a striker.

This puts Leap at 3/5 because it doesn't do damage that shadow storm can, and it doesn't have utility. Would be different if it attacked reflex, fort or will though.
I'm building an Assassin/Rogue that uses light blades, and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks the Surprising Charge feat is any good?  To me it looks great, if you combine it with Melee Training, it gives you an At-Will charge (free move and +1 attack) that does 2[W]+Dex damage!  Seems better than Shadow Storm in lots of situations.  Seeing as how there are lots of ways to remain hidden or invisible, you can often charge away from or past enemies without drawing an OA.  If you carry around an extra spear you could use it with reach too.

I never see this feat mentioned though, so maybe it's not as good as I'm imagining.  Anyone have any experience with it?

I use Surprising Charge with my rogue and it's a lot of fun.  I've been using it with a double-sword, but I'll probably be switching to a rapier after the nerf. Get a horned helm too for another +1d6 damage on the charge. You can get a lot of damage with all of this on a charge.

I think Melee Training is worth it for an assassin, I just took it on mine.  It sucks getting an opportunity attack with a fullblade and not being able to hit.
Leaping Shades has its uses if you like to build up your shroud and not just spam it every other round. It's also pretty good as a setup power on an action point round. Use Leaping Shade on a target where you're the only creature adjacent to it and you have at least two shrouds on it. If you power allows you to place extra shrouds on it go ahead and do so then spend an AP and invoke your shrouds on your next attack.

It is a little more situational but still a good power.

I have yet to find any use for Executioner's Noose with my build, but people around here seem to love it. I think it's just as situational as Leaping Shades, and in the end LS does more damage (especially if you wield a high [W] damage weapon).

In the end Inescapable Blade became my second at-will simply because I needed it's reach capabilities. Losing the modifier damage was hardly noticed. 
FYI, I just posted an amusing, and 100% legit, comedic assassin build here.  It just carries to an extreme something which I think is the single biggest advantage the Assassin has over other strikers, damage-wise... the ability to deal striker bonus damage even on a miss.
I found leaping shades to be near useless for my nightstalker (level 6). I only played for a few sessions, but the instances where I could build up more than two shrouds on a monster were few and far between; the monsters simply died too fast for anything more than that. Elites and solos were an exception, but then when you're dealing with buffer monsters like that it's pretty common to have multiple friends next to the monsters for a better shadow storm. I'd imagine for a bleak disciple leaping shade is even more useless, as you may as well jump into the big fray (well, the edges at least) for good shadow storm damage. It's important to note that I was playing in a large group (~7 people) with many melee builds, though.

Personally, I felt that my damage was a little low (~20 with shadow storm usually, using  fullblade), but a lot of that was me needing to learn when to invoke. As mentioned before, I found the enemies dying between my second and third round, so I ended up losing shroud damage fairly often until I just started invoking at 1 or 2 shrouds. I do think that the damage will spike up with level as you acquire ways to mutli-shroud, but I haven't had the opportunity to try an assassin at paragon or epic yet.

I've never really been sure why guides give ratings to intrinsic class abilities (it's not like you have a choice), but assuming that the idea is to compare to other classes I would seriously consider knocking down assassin's shroud. As far as striker features go, it's middle of the road. Again I feel the need to qualify this statement by stating that the game I played in was a very "you're fighting now" type of game (and group). If I had had opportunity to sneak in before hand and pile shrouds on (requiring that feat) that obviously would have helped with my per encounter damage.

I assume you'll get to this when you post items, but gauntlets of destruction save you a feat by eleminating the need for brutal shroud, aside from being an fairly good choice anyway.

Does the subtle property apply when in the offhand? My reading says yes, as it makes no mention of "with this weapon" but I'm curious as to what other people think.

Final note: Isn't that whole teacup thing a movie reference?
Does the subtle property apply when in the offhand? My reading says yes, as it makes no mention of "with this weapon" but I'm curious as to what other people think.

AV says that weapon properties only apply to that weapon unless it says otherwise.
Right, duh. Good call.
Not to be offensive Momar, but Assassins Shroud is easily in the top three DPR based class mechanics.
(A Rogues nova capability is FAR below an Assassins.)

Also may I suggest Mithrendaine Steel weapons for the equipment section.

Personally, I felt that my damage was a little low (~20 with shadow storm usually, using  fullblade), but a lot of that was me needing to learn when to invoke. As mentioned before, I found the enemies dying between my second and third round, so I ended up losing shroud damage fairly often until I just started invoking at 1 or 2 shrouds. I do think that the damage will spike up with level as you acquire ways to mutli-shroud, but I haven't had the opportunity to try an assassin at paragon or epic yet.

Perhaps you would find a thread like the one listed in my signature (shameless self promotion) which has myself and others detailing fights, discussing tactics, and offering tips on what to do in specific situations to make the most out of what is one of the more complicated striker classes.
Not to be offensive Momar, but Assassins Shroud is easily in the top three DPR based class mechanics.
(A Rogues nova capability is FAR below an Assassins.)

Nothing offensive about that. Let's walk through it and maybe you'll change my mind.

I'll be providing the number for 4 and 2 shrouds: 4 is the best it gets, 2 is what I feel you could reasonably expect. Also, I'll be including the die upgrades for rogues and rangers. Presumably the assassin would take killer's instinct in answer, but that's harder to gauge because people don't seem to agree on an average combat length. I'll just use brutal shroud and we can try to agree to an average fight length later. Also, I'll be assuming a 65% hit chance with combat advantage included. Personally, I'm not too sure you can actually get CA every round, but that seems to be how things are done around here for rogue damage numbers. I suppose with reckless gone a lot of rogues might use frost, so that makes it easier, but then we're getting into items and feats more.

Heroic:
2 Shrouds dpr+:  3.3
4 Shrouds :          3.65
Sneak attack:      5.85
Hunter's Quarry: 2.93
Sorceror:             2.6-3.25
Warlock Curse:   2.28

Paragon:
2 Shrouds:         5.78
4 Shrouds:         6.39
Sneak:               8.78
Quarry:              5.85
Sorceror:           4.55-5.2
Curse:               4.55

Epic:                
2 Shrouds:        8.25
4 Shrouds:        9.13
Sneak:              14.63
Quarry:             8.78
Sorceror:          7.15-7.8
Curse:              6.83

Taking the 2 shrouds numbers (again, that's what I feel you'd actually get in play; if you took the 4 shrouds number you'd have to seriously consider the chance that ouy lose it all to the monster just dying) the assassin comes in 2nd of six in heroic and 3rd in paragon and epic. So I guess you're right that they're in the top 3, but when it's 3 of 6 I don't think that qualifies as top tier. Really, assassin, ranger, and sorceror are all pretty darn close. 

There's a lot missing from this. A lot. For instance, if you give the ranger two attacks they gain an extra 1/2/3 by tier damage. The avenger isn't included because it's harder to do. I think the oath damage bonus should be (increase hit chance * average damage + crit chance increase * crit damage), but that might be wrong? The assassin has a lot of racial based feats along with killer instinct for an extra shroud once an encoutner. Most people agree that the rogue is actually low on the totem pole for striker damage, but remember that here I'm only talking about the extra damage feature.

Finally, despite me having wasted all of this time for it, the point I'm trying to make is pretty insignificant. All I'm saying is that if you're going to rate an inherint class feature that the player has no choice in so long as they're playing that class, the only way it makes sense is to compare to comparable abilities of other classes. If, in some magic world, I could pick any striker damage feature I don' t think the shrouds would be the automatic go to choice (sky blue).

EDIT: Vengeful diety- I've seen your thread and I like it. Sadly, I'm not playing an assassin anymore, but I'll be sure to read through it again if I play another.

Finally, despite me having wasted all of this time for it, the point I'm trying to make is pretty insignificant. All I'm saying is that if you're going to rate an inherint class feature that the player has no choice in so long as they're playing that class, the only way it makes sense is to compare to comparable abilities of other classes. If, in some magic world, I could pick any striker damage feature I don' t think the shrouds would be the automatic go to choice (sky blue).

EDIT: Vengeful diety- I've seen your thread and I like it. Sadly, I'm not playing an assassin anymore, but I'll be sure to read through it again if I play another.

Well, while i haven't really done too much on the color changing, I do have a few different ways i will be doing things. Sky blue doesn't exactly mean that you either take that or you suck.

For races, they will start at red. They get a +1 for one stat, a +2 for two stats. IF they got feat support (assassin feat really helps here.) they get another +1. Lastly, if they have good racial features for the class they will hit sky blue.

Powers though work the other way. They start at sky blue. If they deal the least amount of damage in a set of powers, or they don't have  good utility riders, the go down to black. If they got good utility powers they go to blue, and if they deal the most damage or have really good utility effects, they stay at sky blue.

However if the power is "dumb" for some reason and doesn't do anything at the top, it will hit magenta or red. For example an attack that does 1d4 points of damage and if you are a bleak deciple gives you 4 temp hp that doesn't stack.. then its dumb. Unless someone cares to prove how it would even be remotely useful.

On utility powers though they take a -1 if they are a daily, +0 if they are encounter and +1 if they are at will. IF the power rocks a lot, they will get more +'s and push less useful utilities down the list. Again, prove its worth and it will get some bumping up.
Kudos on the DPR spreads, but you are still failing to grasp the concept of the Shroud Mechanic, and in fact the Assassin class altogether in my opinion.

Upwards of fourth level(and for some builds even at first) the Assassin will begin casually slinging three to four shrouds on the staple AP round of combat. A good simple comparison for this is looking at both classes encounter and daily novas. The Rogues does two to three dice higher, while the Assassin can scale up to six.

Being that you have a head for figures could you post the DPR of a fourth level Assassins nova versus a fourth level Rogues to get a concrete answer to these comparisons???
(I would suggest assuming both are Human and took the standard 19/16/11 spread at first level and taking all the sky blue power options for both classes.)
My assassin last game has had a nasty habit of luring the big nasty out away from the rest of the party and slaughtering them.

i would recommend if you feel like making it more rp oriented, the Boon Shroud of the Raven Queen.
Its very useful for it per encounter effect, and the daily is awesome too, plus if you are a dealer of death, why wouldnt you want to worship the god of death.

Kudos on the DPR spreads, but you are still failing to grasp the concept of the Shroud Mechanic, and in fact the Assassin class altogether in my opinion.

Upwards of fourth level(and for some builds even at first) the Assassin will begin casually slinging three to four shrouds on the staple AP round of combat. A good simple comparison for this is looking at both classes encounter and daily novas. The Rogues does two to three dice higher, while the Assassin can scale up to six.

Being that you have a head for figures could you post the DPR of a fourth level Assassins nova versus a fourth level Rogues to get a concrete answer to these comparisons???
(I would suggest assuming both are Human and took the standard 19/16/11 spread at first level and taking all the sky blue power options for both classes.)

Again, I'm not talking about the assassin's (class) overall damage. I'm only talking about what's added by the striker feature. Does this mean anything, really? Probably not.

I'll try to get to the nova numbers, but I've never played a rogue, or even been in a group with a well played rogue, so I have no real idea of what a rogue would do on a nova. I'll have to dig through their handbook(s).

Since we're sort of on the topic anyway, where do people feel that the assassin fits in on the striker DPR totem? Above warlock (who isn't?), below ranger and barbarian?

Chanter Hound: Thanks for the guide, by the way. Assassin's are pretty high on my (ever growing) list fo things I really want to play, and they really needed an active guide. They migh even be my top choice if I were ever to get into a more free form game, as I feel that they could really excel when they are give the room. It's also nice to see how you go about rating things- that's something that's missing from a lot of other guides.

EDIT: Again on items, the armor of dark deeds seems really good for an assassin. Concealment when you hit with combat advantage. Add shade form for good hiding. Once the shadow band becomes available you don't need the armor anymore, but it's good for the 15 levels in between. Even better if you're a soul thief and can regen shade form.
Well on a constant spread.. there are some classes that deal more damage constantly. On nova however, my assassin has utterly decimated enemies in about a single round of combat using only an encounter power. Once my shrouds are on the future victim, I've used a single level 1 encounter power to kill my target. Throw in a daily and an AP to spead it up.

Granted, last night we did have a ranger who killed one non-minon in the very first round of combat by spaming twinstrike, AP, and a Daily from his bow. Unlike me, he was on his last legs of life by the end of the session. I love shades form and  Assassins Defense.
Great guide. I'm glad the mantle of Assassin Handbook was picked up after the other one fell off after creation.  Heres to hoping this one gets chock full of insightful input!

As a low level assassin just starting out, though, should Nightstalkers grab Sneak of Shadows asap? The Assassin feat that lets you instantly become shade form when you are hit, which you seem to love, should that be a priority you think over getting something like sneak or another damage enhancing feat?
"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery! " "The Medusan Lords' Gambit" - Discord - Level 15 Iron Soul Monk