Masterplan

298 posts / 0 new
Last post

The newest version of Masterplan, version 7, has just been released.

It's a DM's campaign / adventure writing toolset for 4E, which helps you plan out your plot points, encounters, NPCs and the like.

It's free.
It integrates with the Compendium.

You can download Masterplan from here.

Masterplan

Awesome Program, been following its development for a while now!
I am the God of Dragons! Hail Wizards and it's mighty awesomeness for finally addressing some of the issues we had with the old forums and website! It's about damn time this place got an overhaul! Wahoo!
Wonderful soft. Makes preparing/running games so easy.
Looks nice, but its need for the Compendium is a problem for me.

Guess I'll try it out when I have expendable income.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Looks nice, but its need for the Compendium is a problem for me.

You can use it without the Compendium. It's not required.
Well done Devereaux. I signed on to the forum today to chime in and congratulate and thank you for the great work you've done on this tool.

I've known of it for a while, and others (Virtual Combat Cards) but not had time to tinker - until this bout of laryngitis, which has bought me valuable rpg surf & research time

Wanted to let you know TheChaosGrenade's YouTube walkthrough is what really sold me. I had read a lot about Masterplan in the various forums but didn't quite get the full picture, and I think the speed with which you've released upgrades also meant I was thinking of older versions when trying to work out what tool to use. Anyway the youtube videos are worth linking in your sig or whatever, I really think they make a big difference for fence sitters like me who dont have time (as much as we'd like) to download, test etc.

Anyway as a Dad, gamer from 1e, lapsed mid 90s and now dragging my sons into the hobby, Masterplan looks like being a real beauty for me.

I use Dwarven forge and Hirst arts 3d dungeon scenery, thinking of a mix of photos and thumbnails of the tiles for the library, will be a big help in planning that side of it before we hit the table. Working fulltime shiftwork and sometimes freelancing on top, with 2 growing boys and the wife working and studying, I don't have as much time as I'd like to plan games  - this is really going to help me a LOT.

So Thanks!
I was wondering if there is the possibility of linking from the workspace into the encyclopedia. Say that in one point in the wrkspace the PC's meet some big NPC and the maybe chat with him or ask questions about you could just click his name and you jump into his description in the encyclopedia instead of having to go there and look for yourself.

If this is easy enough you might consider adding this in.
I was wondering if there is the possibility of linking from the workspace into the encyclopedia. Say that in one point in the wrkspace the PC's meet some big NPC and the maybe chat with him or ask questions about you could just click his name and you jump into his description in the encyclopedia instead of having to go there and look for yourself.

If this is easy enough you might consider adding this in.

No problem, this will be in the next version.
GREAT tool, keep up the good work!!!!

Masterplan version 7.2 is now available.

New features include:

• Added support for monster themes

• Added the ability to link to encyclopedia entries from plot points

• Added the ability to paste text to create new encyclopedia entries and jotter notes

• Added an encounter notes section to encounter builder

• Improved the map autobuilder

Kick ass.  Can't wait to try out the themes support.
Any plans for a Mac port, Devereaux? The application looks incredible but forces me to run a Windows VM just to use it, and the VM is a bit slow. I would absolutely love a Mac port, and I can't believe I'm the only user who feels this way.
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what exactly are "monster themes"?
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what exactly are "monster themes"?

It's a way to customize monsters, introduced in DMG 2.  They're sort of like templates.  It's essentially a set of powers grouped together into themes that allow you to give a particular feel to multiple monsters in your adventure without making them all seem the same.

Except that the themes in Masterplan don't quite work the way they are supposed to.  In this case, they really are templates.  Instead of letting you choose one or two powers from the theme, it applies all of them when you add a theme to a monster.
Except that the themes in Masterplan don't quite work the way they are supposed to.  In this case, they really are templates.  Instead of letting you choose one or two powers from the theme, it applies all of them when you add a theme to a monster.

Not quite true. When you apply a theme to an encounter, Masterplan takes each creature in turn and selects one attack power and one utility power from the theme for that creature.

I think it would be cool to be able to edit the view.  When I have a large plan the it becomes all squished.  Perhaps a view that was scrollable?

Another request:  Perhaps the program can remember the position and size of the windows?

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

The newest version (7.4) is available now, including a number of the most-requested features (such as regeneration and the ability to include DM-only information in encyclopedia entries).

www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/
Loving this software.  I'm finding it incredibly useful.   I emailed Devereaux about a bug I found in 7.4 with imports which he's already fixed - great stuff.

This post is a request for Skill Challenges.  The software provides the ability to set up Skill Challenges and there are loads of sample skill challenges out there in the DMGs and in Dragon magazines.  Has anyone entered any of these into MP and cares to share their hard work?

As you can see I'm a DDi subscriber (have been since day one) so I own all this stuff and am not after stealing anything.

Cheers!
Blakey
Another thing I think might be handy in this software is the ability to have a library of Fantastical Terrain.   There is a great list of them in each DMG and being able to drop them into an encounter from a library would be dead handy.

FWIW I have gone through and typed them all in to a file so if you want to add this and can't be bothered to do the typing yourself, I can send them to you.

Cheers
Blakey
One of my friends started using this to build some things for Savage Tide (converted to 4e) and I should see him this weekend.
Hopefully I can see the software in action without spoilers.

One thing he did mention was having trouble finding out how to import custom monsters that are stored in WotC D&D Adventure Tools/Monster Builder.

Edit: No dice for this weekend to see software and it will probably be a few weeks before i'll be able to check it out now.
"There has to be some more Panacolo around here... bah i'll just create some," [poof, shazam] "...mmm, Panacolo." ☪ - Caramon Brooke, Archmage of the Empire
You can do this either from the Creatures tab of the Libraries screen, or from the Custom Creatures & NPCs window.
Feature Request

I used Masterplan in a game session last night for the first time.  It worked well.  However there is one thing I found which would be dead helpful:

Drag and drop of combatants in the initiative order.  It is not always easy to make sure the combatants get in exactly the right order when someone delays.  This is especially difficult if multiple combatants share the same initiative number and you want to drop a delayed character into the middle of them.  

To fix this either implement drag and drop of combatants, or else when you click the "Next Initiative" button have it actually go to the next combatant, rather than onto the next active initiative number.  So split the initiative by combatant not by init number.  This makes more sense.

Incidentally, after initial rolls are made, actual initiative numbers are insignificant and so I feel that highlighting all combatants with the same number is a mistake. You should simply consider each combatant as a separate initiative item.

All the best!
Blakey

The group I play with got together at a different location and had no battlemats so we connected a larger flat panel TV up to the DM laptop and used Player view for tokens and map.
It worked out pretty well for first time.
Some things we came across were:
Overlapping tokens (spirit companion and other things) are not both at once or have any transparency.
Tokens in general are vanilla, lack customization options.
Zooming the player view map to display nicely on the screen was tricky; had larger map and difficult to see PC token names or scroll around.

Overall it went great. Monster hp and condition tracking I think was most beneficial part.
Keep up the great work!
"There has to be some more Panacolo around here... bah i'll just create some," [poof, shazam] "...mmm, Panacolo." ☪ - Caramon Brooke, Archmage of the Empire
Nice App Dev.  I probably use this in conjunction with DMbattle screen.

I was wondering where I could download dungeon tiles?
Also, how do I define a theme so that 'apply a theme' will be clickable for the monsters.  Doesn't really say in the manual. (Or I've missed it)
I've downloaded tiles from the yahoo group but when I open a tactical map it says I have no tiles in my library. 

I have extracted the tiles to the MP library.

Any idea how to get the app to recognize my map tiles?
You define monster themes in your libraries; this is also where you can import tile images. I believe the Yahoo group has predefined tile libraries you can use.
Thank you.  Just needed to open my eyes
Version 8 is now available (here) - more new features than ever. The main additions are:

Magic items can be entered (or downloaded from the Compendium) and used to automatically build treasure parcels
The Compendium feature now allows you to download new data or update existing data
Added a "tactics" field to creatures
In combat you can mark used powers as unused
Custom map tokens and overlays can now display custom images or map tiles
The combat screen now shows the current combat round
Creature auras are now shown on the map
Combat screen now has landscape / portrait layout options
The encounter filter settings now include the option to filter creatures by standard / elite / solo / minion
You can now create a map from any image file directly in the encounter builder
The skill challenge builder has been redesigned
You have the option to create a dungeon delve from the welcome screen
Greatly improved performance in the encounter builder and library screen
Added HP / defence scores / initiative bonus to PCs
WOTC Character Builder files can be imported into projects
The quick reference sheet now shows party information
You now have the option to calculate XP from all plot points, or take the average XP from each layer
My first post on the forums, and I have to give you serious thanks and appreciation for your amazing program.  I looked high and low for something like Masterplan.  I'm telling every gamer I know about it.   Keep up the great work!
Version 8 looks great.  Thanks.

One question for the masses:  where can I get dungeon tiles from for MP?   I am a subscriber to DDi as you can all see but have no idea where I can download tiles from.  I've all the DDi map segments on my laptop as jpgs - do I just use them to generate lots of tiles?  

Probably time to RTFM I guess!!  Smile 
Blakey, try here:

games.groups.yahoo.com/group/dungeon_til...

Quick quesiton concerning the use of Masterplan to facilitate remote gaming:

Is there an easy way to integrate the player viewer screen with Skype?

The only other solution I can think of is to export the data of the player viewer onto a website during the game. 
Thanks.  I'll take a peek.

I have asked about MP supporting networking and remote playing.  Apparently it's on the to-do list but of course will take some time to develop.   I'm massively keen on it I have to say as it would enable me to replace MapTool (although I think it will take a LONG time before Masterplan is able to achieve the quality of remote play that MapTool supports).

Is this whole side of things some third party could look at using the 3rd party addons option?
Cheers
Blakey 
Bug with Version 8:  I can't import certain CB export files.

There are 6 files on this page for grabbing:  www.rodinia.info/downloads.php

Of those 6 I can import 4.   I can't import the ones called "Gotrek" and "Gotrek Bbn".

Any ideas why? 

Of those 6 I can import 4.   I can't import the ones called "Gotrek" and "Gotrek Bbn".

Any ideas why? 

I'll look into this, cheers.

Any ideas why? 

Weird, it's because they're not valid XML. No worries, the next version will be able to load them anyway.
Continued to play with MP in a game last night.   There is a definite issue with the way it handles initiative.   It needs to split each round into individual turns for each creature, not lumping multiple creatures on the same initiative number into one.  

Problems caused by the current approach: 

1.   You can't un-ready a character in the middle of three people who share the same init count.
2.   When an init count comes up and a PC is on the same one as a NPC but the PC is first, it asks you to roll recharge rolls for the NPCs used powers etc when it is technically not their go yet.  It should let you deal with the PC completely first.

There are other niggles like this which I can't recall right now.

Please can you make this a priority for the next release?  It's quite frustrating and taking the edge off an otherwise excellent program.

Thanks
Blakey 
Continued to play with MP in a game last night.   There is a definite issue with the way it handles initiative.   It needs to split each round into individual turns for each creature, not lumping multiple creatures on the same initiative number into one. 

I don't suppose using decimals like 20.6, 20.1 etc would work in the software as it is now?  I don't have it locally here or any libraries to test (and I'm lazy).
I know using negative damage will 'heal' monsters which is a nice feature to have so token doesn't disappear and stuff.

10 different spaces for things inside a single initiative score probably covers 99% of things.  If more stuff starts happening I think the Initiative max in v7 was 100, so you could just change numbers around to accomidate the order of turns.  Problem would be actually rolling new init when something would come in part way through something.
I can easily re-order initiative so everyone has their own score and then it works fine.   The thing is I shouldn't have to.  It should just work as is with out me having to hack the init values for everyone.

Cheers
Blakey 
I can easily re-order initiative so everyone has their own score and then it works fine.   The thing is I shouldn't have to.  It should just work as is with out me having to hack the init values for everyone.

Cheers
Blakey 

At least its a work around, if not ideal Wink

I'm sure suggestions for new features are welcome for the developers.

Yes, this is a good point. I'll look into this for the next version.

Sign In to post comments