2009 Magic World Championships

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's almost time for the 2009 World Championships, the crowning event of the Pro Tour season. Starting November 19, Worlds features 6 rounds of Standard, 6 rounds of Zendikar Booster Draft, 6 rounds of Extended, and 4 rounds of National Team play with the national teams playing Standard, Extended, and Legacy decks. The event concludes November 22 with the individual Top 8 (Standard) and the Team Finals.

The live webcast of 2009 Worlds will start Sunday, November 22 at 3:45 a.m. ET. Watch the Top 8 as Magic crowns its 2009 World team and individual champions!

Here's a handy time zone guide to figure out when the webcast starts in your neighborhood:

Los Angeles: 12:45 a.m.
Chicago: 2:45 a.m.
New York: 3:45 a.m.
Rio de Janeiro: 6:45 a.m.
London: 8:45 a.m.
Rome: 9:45 a.m.
Moscow: 11:45 a.m.
Tokyo: 5:45 p.m.
Sydney: 7:45 p.m.

Who will be crowned Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year? Which nation will be crowned the champion of Magic? And who will add their name to the list of Magic World Champions? Tune in starting November 19.
I'm calling PV to win Worlds 2009, and I'm calling Brazil to win the Team series.

Would it be possible to post who is playing what format for the teams?
It's pretty disheartening to already see a few top players just sleeving up jund. LSV added Master of the Wild Hunt and Saito added SGC and rampant growth. Whoopie.

Odds on 3/4 of the decks in the top 8 running bloodbraid and blightning? Certainly a good bet. Does jund make for an interesting tournament at this point? Nope.

I hope some pro's will come out swinging with real innovation.

Gindy DQ?  Uh-oh.  Yeah, we need details.

It's pretty disheartening to already see a few top players just sleeving up jund. LSV added Master of the Wild Hunt and Saito added SGC and rampant growth. Whoopie.

Odds on 3/4 of the decks in the top 8 running bloodbraid and blightning? Certainly a good bet. Does jund make for an interesting tournament at this point? Nope.

I hope some pro's will come out swinging with real innovation.

Apparently Jund is "only" about 1/3 of the field.  Which makes Worlds a good bit more varied than the tournaments we've been seeing so far.  But you can't go too far wrong with Jund.  In LSV's words "I did everything in my power not to play this deck, but it still has the best percentages."

Perhaps I'm mistaken on this, but given the long multi-format nature of Worlds it probably makes even more sense to "play it safe" in any format where you're not sure you have the edge.  Especially the Day 1 format.  If you take a risk and then go 0-6 then you just screwed yourself regardless of your Limited and Extended performances.  If you play a deck you know to be good, then you may not 6-0 but 4-2 or 5-1 are a great place to be with other formats to get you to top 8.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Dying to know the story behind the American team getting DQ'd.  Anyone know the story?

Gindy DQ?  Uh-oh.  Yeah, we need details.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
Yeah I saw it.  For anyone who doesn't want to follow the link:

Gindy disqualified for not being named "Kibler"

Today Wizards of the Coast demonstrated that that DCI has high standards for rules enforcement, and proved that they will rigidly apply those rules to anyone who dares to make an error without the requisite level of experience and fame. 

In round 6 Charles Gindy made a fatal mistake.  An ability resolved that required the opponent to kill one of Gindy's creatures.  But the target was never chosen.  Gindy knew that the opponent could kill one of his wolf tokens, but didn't realize it was required.

Clearly the only penalty possible for this is a disqualification.

"At this level of anonymity, we demand a very high level of rules enforcement," said head judge Sheldon Menery.  "Sure, Brian Kibler can get away with not pointing stuff out to his opponents.  But he's "The Dragonmaster."  He's a hall of famer.  Hell, he's even been an official Wizards broadcaster.  Gindy is a guy no one even heard of until last year, so clearly he can't expect to get away with the same level of mistake.

Some critics have claimed that this system of rules provides an unfair advantage to someone like Brian Kibler in a major event like a Pro Tour.  Menery however thinks that claim ridiculous.  "The rules work just as easily against Kibler," the judge explained.  "If he were to play against someone like Kai Budde, then yeah Brian may get to miss triggers.  But Kai would get to draw like 5 extra cards before getting his first warning.  So it works both ways."

This was sadly not the only disqualification on day 1 of Worlds.  In round 3, first time PT attendee  Sean Bleven was disqualified for mispronouncing the name of Great Sable Stag.  "It's 'Sable' not 'Stable', noob." said the floor judge, before adding "GTFO."

OK to be fair, Gindy misplayed the ability on his own card, while Kibler missed his opponent's trigger. But still, it seems like Gindy's biggest fault was the usually-newbie mistake of not shutting up afterwards. 

Also, reading the account now (and following the post-event controversy from Austin), ownership of the card had nothing to do with the judge ruling.  His example about how a 2/2 can't kill a 2/3 is completely irrelevant to knowing that the opponent must kill something.  Whereas the parallel to Austin is, IMHO, pretty damn obvious.

DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.

Who's this guy and why is he a trademark?

46Techarattanaprasert ™, [THA]1277.77%
Yeah I saw it.  For anyone who doesn't want to follow the link:

Gindy disqualified for not being ....

OK to be fair, Gindy misplayed the ability on his own card, while Kibler missed his opponent's trigger. But still, it seems like Gindy's biggest fault was the usually-newbie mistake of not shutting up afterwards. 

Also, reading the account now (and following the post-event controversy from Austin), ownership of the card had nothing to do with the judge ruling.  His example about how a 2/2 can't kill a 2/3 is completely irrelevant to knowing that the opponent must kill something.  Whereas the parallel to Austin is, IMHO, pretty damn obvious.

I don't know where that clip came from, but please people, follow the actual posted link to get  much better coverage of the incident.

The difference is knowingly failing to maintain the game state, which is Fraud, and is what appears to have happened in this case.  Or accidentally failing to maintain the game state, which by all accounts I've heard is what happened in Austin.
Yes if Gindy had kept his mouth shut he may have gotten away with it (but in that case it would definitely been intentional Fraud).  The fact that he openly brought it up after the fact is likely going to save him from a harsher Ban or other penalty.
Bummer for Team USA.
Who's this guy and why is he a trademark?

46Techarattanaprasert ™, [THA]1277.77%

TM is used here to indicate that the player is a member of a national team. As for this player specifically, I think he's the Thai national champion.
Where's the Day 1 Wrap-Up???? I look forward to these after every day of a pro tour. Please respond Randy B!
I'm hoping to see some undefeated Standard decklists...

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

People need to start naming decks again, seriously.  I look at the metagame breakdown and can't actually tell what most of those decks do or are.  Calling something by its colors doesn't tell you nearly enough.
People need to start naming decks again, seriously.  I look at the metagame breakdown and can't actually tell what most of those decks do or are.  Calling something by its colors doesn't tell you nearly enough.

It's Standard, I believe the universal strategy is play dudes and 'walkers and bash them into your opponents dudes and 'walkers.  Hope to draw better.
Props to the Coverage team for delivering so many tidbits and interesting info.

Combined with Twitter, you get a fairly good idea what's going on in Rome, almost live.

Great articles, podcasts by Mr. Hagon and nice deck tech videos. Looking forward to the live webcast on sunday. Sad to hear that Randy B. is doing his last commentary at this event, as he usually engages in interesting discussions about deck choices and judgement calls. Too bad, but understandable after so many years.

Can we get the 6-0 and 5-1 standard decks up in tome for FNM???
So the big images of Rome that say "2010 World championships" and link to articles that say 2009 World Championships, makes the web team look pretty bad.  I would probably change those years on the images fast if I were the wizard's web guy.

What year are we in again? ...Undecided
I was just going over the undefeated deckists from day 1, and was wondering if it strikes anyone else as odd that the Ukranian guy is playing a 56 card deck in constructed?
I realize I'm not watching Nascar on FOX or the NFL on ESPN, and the coverage itself is fantastic, but why the absurd delays? The tweets are on round 12, 13,etc. and we don't have the feature match up from Round 9. I keep refreshing every 30 to see if there's an update, give up, go shower or make food or run errands, come back hours later and thank the stars I didn't just sit and wait around.

Also, as someone who never posts, having to go through a bunch of registration steps I've already done before--twice probably, pretty sure I was pre-gleemax--just to post this was annoying as all hell. (Not time or place I know.)

Go M.Lyaebert!!
I was just going over the undefeated deckists from day 1, and was wondering if it strikes anyone else as odd that the Ukranian guy is playing a 56 card deck in constructed?

Where did you find the deck lists? thanks in advance!

Where did you find the deck lists? thanks in advance!

Decklists are in the coverage blog: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
Looking forward to the live webcast on sunday. Sad to hear that Randy B. is doing his last commentary at this event, as he usually engages in interesting discussions about deck choices and judgement calls. Too bad, but understandable after so many years.

Aww, that's too bad. Where was this said, and was it mentioned who will replace him?

Hagon will.

I have a hard time believing that Cynic Kim would first-pick a Forest (Draft 1, Pod 1, Pack 3 in the draft viewer: gatherer.wizards.com/magic/draftools/dra...). Boo for errors in the draft recording.
I need to know what Gindy shot! If it had 3 power or less it could have been assumed two was assigned to the 3/3 and one to the 2/2 .. seems weird to tell us the stats of the wolves and not the thing being shot.
I need to know what Gindy shot! If it had 3 power or less it could have been assumed two was assigned to the 3/3 and one to the 2/2 .. seems weird to tell us the stats of the wolves and not the thing being shot.

As far as the DQ goes, what Gindy shot is more or less irrelevent. The point is that Master of the Wild Hunt requires the opponent to make a decision if you control multiple wolves, and Gindy delibrately let his opponent forget. Though I agree, it is strange that they would give us the stats of the wolves and not those of the target. Based on available information, I think it's safe to assume that it's somewhere between 2/2 and 3/5.
I was looking at the coverage for the Magic online championship at worlds. Can anyone tell how the pairing or the point scoring are done, it seems so random. In an 8-man clasic there should not be two people who end at 0-3
Photobucket
Standard Records:

1 David Reitbauer: 6-0 (Jund w/Master of Wild Hunt)
8 Florian Pils: 4-2

4 Terry Soh: 4-2 (Naya Zoo)
5 Manuel Bucher: 5-1 (Bant)

3 André Coimbra: 4-2
6 Marijn Lybaert: 6-0 (Jund)

2 William Cavaglieri:  5-1
7 Bram Snepvangers: 6-0 (Bushwhacker Boros)

Then again, last year's finals were between the players that went 3-3 and 2-3-1 in standard, so this probably doesn't mean much. 
Just watched the Day 3 wrap-up, and I have a nitpicking for Randy:

This is not China's first appearance for Sunday stage, but the second.  China's first PT top 8 is Ming Xu at PT Kuala Lumpur 2008 (the one Jon Finkel won), and he ended up 4th place.

Thanks for all these great coverage, and I'm looking forward to the live webcast on Sunday.  Go China!
Echo Minghua's words above. There has indeed already been a Chinese T8er.

Also, something for the coverage team to fix: The Round 17 Feature Match is Patrizio Golia vs. Manuel Bucher, not Tomoharu Saito vs. Adam Koska. The wrong names are given both on the main World Champs Rome 2009 page and at the top of the feature match subpage at www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... .
In addition to Ming Xu's top eight in Kuala Lumpur, Chih Hsian Chang top eighted Pro Tour Los Angeles in 2005 (won by Antoine Ruel). Mind you Chang is from Taipei, so depending on where you stand on Taiwanese sovreignty you could argue that he's not from China.
A decent Top 8 name-wise.

Deck-wise it's horribly boring and uninteresting. Overpowered creatures, planeswalkers and some random burn/removal.

Time to give control some tools again (or nerf creatures), even the good old counterspell wouldn't be too strong and unfun in this format.
By the way, Gindy's situation was apparently that the wolf shouldn't have died anyway, which is why his opponent didn't do anything, but Gindy didn't exactly understand or something.  So he still thought his wolf should've died, but intentionally didn't let his opponent know.
Gotta root for Bram, least I can do after stealing 39 Limited points from him in the draft rounds of PT Austin Tongue out

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
Gotta root for Bram, least I can do after stealing 39 Limited points from him in the draft rounds of PT Austin

Gerdef

I'm going for Bram too. Not only is he the most expirienced player in this top 8, but he's the only player ever to beat Kai in the top 8 of an individual Pro Tour. That's gotta count for something.
Has the webcast come on yet. There is no link to it right now. Will it be up shortly or are there some technical issues?
Has the webcast come on yet. There is no link to it right now. Will it be up shortly or are there some technical issues?

same question here
EDIT: Nvm, i've got it up.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

Click on the "Watch it live" link.
How about removing Coimbra's mic so we don't have to listen to him coughing constantly?
Sign In to post comments