11/12/09 Top Decks: Joy

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Colors on the SSG top 8 chart are backwards, though it's not exactly the most complicated data to absorb anyway.

Here's the problem I have with these "Game Day" decks: they're fun to look at, but there is absolutely no sense of context.  I feel like these are small shops that have 12 people show up, 8 make the cut to have decks sent to Wizards, and then we look at the 5th place one like it's some accomplishment.

The same problem exists with the Daily Decklists for the last 2 weeks, except that feature has no pretense of competitiveness.  But this is Top Decks.

Case in point, the Summoning Trap deck has 1 Baneslayer Angel, 1 Rampaging Baloths, and 1 Battlegrace Angel, as well as some other questionable numbers.  I'm pretty sure that would be a bigger Baneslayer number if not for their price.  And as someone who's always budget-conscious I can respect that.  But it undermines the results when that deck, and likely the ones it was playing against, weren't in their top form.

Fortunately Worlds is in a week and change, so then we'll have some real data on Standard.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

A lot of interesting decks there; I'm sorry to see the Baneslayer Angels in that last one, it's nice when decks are affordable.

Anyway, two comments:  Regarding the first deck, a Teetering Peaks-Ball Lightning combo is 8/1, not 9/1.  Second, regarding the second deck... I like the idea, but Khalni-Heart Expedition seems out of place here.  Also, if you're going to run Trapmaker's Snare in a 3-color deck, shouldn't you have more than one sort of Trap available, at least in the sideboard?  It seems like one Mindbreak Trap main could definitely pay off against Cascade, and an Arrow Volley Trap in the side might help against some types of beatdown.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
He seems positively peppy today. Joy!
I play at Quest Comics, I wasn't there on Game Day so I don't know what the turn out was, but on Fridays the turn out is usually about 20 people, but I must say I have not played against the deck that was listed.
MONO GREEN YAY! and it even has eldrazi monument, which i've been waiting to see in a competitive deck.
He realized just now that Burst Lighting is strictly better than Shock!
I'm sorry, but red-black goblins simply doesn't work. Believe me, I tried. It loses to Volcanic Fallout.

Sure, Warren Instigator into a pair of Siege-Gang Commanders certainly feels good. But on your next attack step, your opponent just wipes them off the board with Volcanic Fallout, and you're sad again.

Sure, you could hold back your goblins to avoid the Volcanic Fallout, but this slows down your deck significantly, and goblins simply don't have enough staying power to beat most decks in mid- to late-game.
Wow, Battlezone games.  That's pretty amazing, I live about 6 miles from there... I heart Iowa!
He realized just now that Burst Lighting is strictly better than Shock!

I'm not too surprised, given the math issues presented in a previous paragraph:

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a 9/1 Ball Lightning bouncing into the red (and we mean red) zone off a Teetering Peaks.

Normally when he does this, it's shorthand for "there's is another card that I should have mentioned in this sentence, but I don't feel like telling you what it is, so spend ten minutes clicking on every card until you figure it out, then keep reading if you aren't completely irritated with me." But this time, the most logical "missing" card would be a kicked Goblin Bushwhacker, that isn't even in the decklist.
Elemental appeal puts a 7/1 haste trample dies-at-end-of-turn into play.

Teetering peaks gives it +2/+0.

It's really not that hard to figure out.