Red Deck Wins

1786 posts / 0 new
Last post
Red Deck Wins

238_lightningbolt.jpg

Description

Red Deck Wins is a fast aggro deck that wins with fast creatures and Ball Lightning-esque beaters supplemented by efficient burn.  While there were some powerful red cards in Alara-M10, the printing of cards like Goblin Guide, Burst Lightning, and Plated Geopede coupled with fetchlands has given the deck a critical mass of efficient weapons.

Sample Decklists

Zach Barker (3rd place, SCG 5k Standard Open)

Maindeck:

4 Ball Lightning
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Hellspark Elemental
1 Obsidian Fireheart
4 Plated Geopede

4 Burst Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Resounding Thunder
3 Earthquake
3 Elemental Appeal

12 Mountain
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks

Sideboard:
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Unstable Footing
2 Chandra Nalaar
2 Act Of Treason
1 Earthquake
2 Mark Of Mutiny

Chris Gooch (13th place, SCG 5k Standard Open)

Maindeck:

4 Ball Lightning
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Hellspark Elemental
1 Obsidian Fireheart
4 Plated Geopede

4 Burst Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Resounding Thunder
3 Earthquake
3 Elemental Appeal

12 Mountain
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks

Sideboard:
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Unstable Footing
2 Chandra Nalaar
2 Act Of Treason
1 Earthquake
2 Mark Of Mutiny

My Current Build

Maindeck

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Plated Geopede
4 Ball Lightning
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Elemental Appeal

4 Burst Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Volcanic Fallout

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks
12 Mountain

Sideboard

3 Pithing Needle
2 Banefire
2 Earthquake
2 Chandra Nalaar
3 Mark of Mutiny
3 Manabarbs

Card Choices

Goblin Guide - A 2/2 for R with haste is insane.  The drawback will draw your opponent a card some fraction of the time, but this is often irrelevant due to the sheer speed of this deck.

Hellspark Elemental - A mini Ball Lightning that comes back for a second hit if not exiled.

Plated Geopede - A 1/1 first striker for 1R that can reach Tarmogoyf-esque size with ease due to fetches and Teetering Peaks.

Ball Lightning - This card needs no introduction.  Although it is easy to remove, it deals so much damage that taking a hit from it can be back-breaking.

Hell's Thunder - A more difficult to remove Ball Lightning that deals less damage but has lategame unearth potential.

Elemental Appeal - Another Ball Lightning effect.  Can be kicked if you have insane amounts of mana, but this will almost never happen. 

Burst Lightning - A Shock with the potential to be more late.  Kills most early drops, and takes out Malakir Bloodwitch, Vampire Nocturnus, and Wooly Thoctar when kicked.

Lightning Bolt - The most efficient burn spell ever printed.

Volcanic Fallout - A sweeper that domes the opponent?  Awesome for WW and other aggro with lots of X/1 and X/2 drops.  In fact, awesome against any aggro deck at this point.

Arid Mesa - For thinning the deck and pumping up Plated Geopede

Scalding Tarn - See above

Teetering Peaks - Giving a +2/+0 boost has generally been an even trade for coming into play tapped.

Mountain - Hard to play a red deck without some of these.

Sideboard Cards

Pithing Needle - Shuts down Planeswalkers (Ajani Vengeant in particular is not something this deck wants to see), Time Sieve, random Scepters, Obelisk of Alara, Thornling, Behemoth Sledge, and other such annoying things.  I have found this to be the "missing piece" of the sideboard, so to speak, and it is extremely good in a number of matchups.

Mark of Mutiny - Anti-Baneslayer (or any fatty that's in your way) tech that can end the game in a stroke if played correctly.

Earthquake - A powerful sweeper that can double as a win condition.

Banefire - A good lategame finisher that can be used as removal earlier in the game.

Manabarbs - A nasty hoser against slower decks if you can get it to stick.

Chandra Nalaar - Functionally a walking blaze that can slowly ping your opponent to death if they have no creatures.  Kills Baneslayer and lives, which is excellent.

Other Possibilites

Goblin Assault - An endless stream of hasty 1/1s.  Sure, it makes your Goblin Guides suicidal, but otherwise can be a very difficult threat to answer.

Goblin Bushwhacker - Very underwhelming when I tested it initially (perhaps because most of this deck has haste already).  It is a possibility though.

Goblin Ruinblaster - A hasty guy that can blow up your opponent's nonbasics.

Magma Spray - Graveyard hate - good against Bloodghast and its ilk, but maybe not good enough.

Relic of Progenitus - More graveyard hate, and it cantrips.

Unstable Footing - Hoses Turbo-fog if it become viable.

Runeflare Trap - Expensive, but the only real reason you'd run this is to hose Howling Mine.dec

Valakut - Interesting, but generally way too slow for this deck's game plan.

Playing the Deck

Playing RDW is fairy straightforward.  You play guys, turn them sideways, and play more guys.  If the opponent plays blockers, either blow them up or run straight over them (depending on the situation).  This deck has a rather even mana curve, so you should be making maximum use of your mana each turn whenever possible.  When you start running out of gas, use unearth to continue the attack (Goblin Assault might work very well here as well).  This deck is easily capable of turn-four kills against a slow opponent, and can often race other aggro decks due to its high reach and huge number of hasty guys.  It is not as ridiculously fast as Boros Bushwhacker, but has a much more consistent manabase and a stronger midgame due to unearth and its potent three and four-drops.

Matchups

Jund - Favorable.  We are much faster than them and have insane reach.  Unless we either keep a really slow hand or they draw the nuts, our speed and heavy burn (plus Earthquake out of the board) should crush them.  Watch our for Blightning - discarding unearth guys to this can be a game-ending play.

Boros - Even to unfavorable.  Game one this is pretty even.  Make sure to burn their early landfall guys and then hit the ground swinging.  Game(s) two and three get much harder because they can board in Celestial Purge and Harm's Way against us.  Make sure to play around these and keep their landfall attackers in control, and we can still win (Earthquake out of the board can be nuts here).

Angelfire/American Control/Luminarch Control - Favorable.  This is relatively easy game one, unless they draw an insane amout of answers and/or get Baneslayer online quickly.  Game two we bring in Needle for Ajani and Luminarch Ascension (if they run it), Mark of Mutiny and Chandra Nalaar for Baneslayer, and possibly Banefire.  They get Celestial Purge and possibly Harm's Way, which can make things difficult.  This is still a very winnable matchup, however.

Grixis - Favorable.  They have a lot of early burn, so they can slow us down a lot.  However, unless they can get Sorin Markov going (or Cruel relatively early - lol) we can still bury them in a large number of attackers relatively easily.  Watch out for Magma Spray and Relic of Progenitus to deal with our unearth.  Pithing Needle on Planeswalkers is good here, while Needle set to Courier's Capsule early can cripple their early draw.

Valakut Control - Favorable.  They have a lot of burn that can slow us down, but overall are too slow to really be a huge problem.  They will board in Magma Spray (and some builds splash white which will mean Ajani Vengeant and Celestial Purge).  Board accordingly if they do have Ajani, otherwise just press the attack until they run out of removal, and send a bunch of burn at their face.

Vampires - Favorable.  We are much faster than them and a lot of their sorcery-speed removal (Gatekeeper, Feast of Blood if they run it) is often dead against us because few of our creatures stay around.  They also have a tendency to burn themselves with Lacerators and Sign in Blood in addition to fetches.  Save your bolts for Vampire Nighthawk, which can wreck us, and play around Tendrils of Corruption and Mind Sludge if they run them.  Otherwise, this matchup is pretty easy.

Naya Landfall and similar - Unfavorable.  Decks that accelerate out fast Baneslayers and other large fatties are a huge problem for us.  Make sure to kill their early drops (BoP, Noble Hiearch, and especially Lotus Cobra) to slow them down and then hope you can kill them before Baneslayer comes online.  We bring in Mark of Mutiny, Chandra Nalaar, and possibly Earthquake and Pithing Needle here (Elspeth, Garruk, and Behemoth Sledge are terrible for us).

Esper Mill - Favorable.  They're really slow but can have a lot of answers for us.  Watch our for Wall of Denial either out of the board or in the main - it requires us to amass a critical number of attackers to win.  The usual Celestial Purge and Flashfreeze will probably come out of the board, but this is still a very winnable matchup (especially since mill has a tendency to dump a lot of unearth guys into our graveyard).

White Weenie - Favorable to Unfavorable.  Game one this can be easy.  We have sweepers and a lot of efficient burn to keep their guys in check, and they no longer have Burrington Forge-Tender to stop us.  However, there are two issues here.  First striking knights are a problem if they stick, so hold your burn.  Also, many builds apparently run four copies of Brave the Elements in the main, which is a severe problem (and a good reason to run Unstable Footing in the board).  Earthquake out of the board is also good here.

Pyromancer Ascension Combo - Favorable.  They run a lot of burn, which can slow us down significantly.  However, they are much slower than us and usually don't pull enough removal to deal with everything.  As a result we generally run them over before they can set up their combo.

I have no data for Cascade or Mono-Green as of now.  If anyone would like to provide that (or data for any other archetypes you feel are missing) feel free.

"IMO Legacy has gotten stale. It's like playing and just asking your opponent, "You can haz FOW?" ~Urzishra "...it looks like an evil bat-hotdog that was arrested for public nudity" ~EK94 I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Reserved

"IMO Legacy has gotten stale. It's like playing and just asking your opponent, "You can haz FOW?" ~Urzishra "...it looks like an evil bat-hotdog that was arrested for public nudity" ~EK94 I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Reserved

I am Blue/White

Dunno if this is a meta thing or not, but every deck in my area that runs half or more white runs Brave the Elements mained, 4 of.  4 Unstable Footing in the board is a must.  Please post a match report from testing vs. WW, as I have never won a game against it.  Honour comes up way the Hell too early consistently and they seem to be holding a Brave everytime I bolt or burst the Blademaster.

Dunno if this is a meta thing or not, but every deck in my area that runs half or more white runs Brave the Elements mained, 4 of.  4 Unstable Footing in the board is a must.  Please post a match report from testing vs. WW, as I have never won a game against it.  Honour comes up way the Hell too early consistently and they seem to be holding a Brave everytime I bolt or burst the Blademaster.

I'll take your word for it here as I have been unable to test against the new WW as of yet.  Editing matchup information for now.
I am Blue/White
I'm wondering about a goblin version of this deck. I currently have one built, and it works averagely well. Unfortunately, this deck is out of reach for me as 8 fetches is really expensive. 

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many
Goblins shouldn't require fetches (just Summits and Swamps), and this deck could be adapted to not need fetches.  Remove Geopede.

Please post the Goblin list (probably in Standard deck help if people are prickly about using this thread) and your experience with it, including weak spots.  BSA seems like it'd be serious trouble, requiring at least a 2-for-1 in mono red, which is why I'd splash black for a serious Goblin build.
I'll post it in a few minutes. It currently is mono-red, but a B/R version is in the works.

Decks
I've been successfully playing a R/b version of this deck that's heavier on the unearth theme as to extended card advantage and give the deck an actual late(ish) game. Cards like Shambling Remains and Blightning help to extend reach and yield two for one's without sacrificing tempo. Also, Goblin Ruinblaster can lock a slower deck out completely if it hits quickly, or gets a blasts a singleton mana source (ie: their only blue to stop them from dropping Rafiq). In addition, splashing black gives access to sideboard Vampire Hexmages to deal with walker heavy decks, and terminate so Rhox War Monk and Baneslayer angel don't ruin your day every time. Burning Inquiry messes with a lot of decks as well while harming a more unearthly deck considerably less, or maybe even helping them.

The build I've been playing:

4 Hellspark
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Shambling Remains
4 Goblin Guide
3 Goblin Ruinblaster

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Blightning
3 Resounding Thunder
2 Earth Quake

10 Mountain
5 Swamp
4 Dragonskull Summit
2 Teetering Peeks
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard: 4 Burning Inquiry, 4 Terminate, 2 Earthquake, 1 Banefire, 4 Vampire Hexmage

This is not quite a finalized list, but it works pretty well.
I wouldn't consider that a Goblin deck anymore than I'd consider a Boros Bushwhacker build to be White Weenie.  After heavy goldfishing with Goblins, I'm shelving it until Worldwake, it's just too consistently inconsistent, with 95% of my hands being unkeepable.
Fetches and Ball Lightning + Grim Discovery.

BLAMO!!

Aside from that, kinda, I agree with a black splash. It answers Baneslayers, gives you SEVERAL options for CA that this deck severely demands, and a few extra synergies and tools that, IMO, RDW is inviable without.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Ball Lightning
4 Shambling Remians

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Blightning
3 Terminate
3 Grim Discovery 
3 Earthquake

6 Fetches (all red)
4 Akoum Refuge/Savage Lands, etc
4 Dragonskull Summit
9 Mountain

I'll fiddle with the sideboard shortly.

The deck looks alright. I'd like for (way) more creatures, and perhaps a bit more reliability in the black mana. I REALLY like the idea of using Grim Discovery in a deck like this, but there needs to be just a couple more utility cards in there, IMO... 
Why does everyone forget about Goblin Chieftain?

And, most of the time, SGC?

Here's my idea:

Lands
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x R/B Refuge
15 swamps and mountains

Creatures:
4x Goblin Guide
4x Hellspark Elemental
4x Ball Lightning
4x Goblin Chieftain
2x Warren Instigator
3x SGC
Non-Creature Spells:
4x Terminate
4x Blightning
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Bituminous Blast

Decks
Because the Goblin Build is slow to a point where the meta's alternative aggro decks just kill it before they're good enough. This meta is SO much faster than it was when 5cc and Tokens and Fae reigned...
Fetches and Ball Lightning + Grim Discovery.

BLAMO!!

Aside from that, kinda, I agree with a black splash. It answers Baneslayers, gives you SEVERAL options for CA that this deck severely demands, and a few extra synergies and tools that, IMO, RDW is inviable without.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Ball Lightning
4 Shambling Remians

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Blightning
3 Terminate
3 Grim Discovery 
3 Earthquake

6 Fetches (all red)
4 Akoum Refuge/Savage Lands, etc
4 Dragonskull Summit
9 Mountain

I'll fiddle with the sideboard shortly.

The deck looks alright. I'd like for (way) more creatures, and perhaps a bit more reliability in the black mana. I REALLY like the idea of using Grim Discovery in a deck like this, but there needs to be just a couple more utility cards in there, IMO... 

Not sure this is the ideal build using your idea, but your idea is pretty excellent. Grim discovery + ball lightning is nice. Obviously it's not that nice with hellspark and shambling, since they recur on their own. But I think you are on to something. If only there was still some decent CIP abilities on creatures, recurring shriekmaws would be wonderful.....

I'll scour gatherer at some point and throw some ideas your way.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
For this deck, I don't think it's great to take a pass on Hell's Thunder. From my experience, if one can get a goblin guide (2 damage), hellspark (2+3=5, 7 total), hell's thunder (2+4=6, 13 total) curve going, the game will be ended by the ridiculous reach of this deck's burn by turn 5. I would even go so far as to say the Hell's Thunder is often better than ball lightning because of it's understatedly fat behind (bolt proof and undisfigureable), and it's ability to hit again on turn five. Also, terminate is good in the sideboard, but only OK maindeck, as it takes the place of burn. I understand that it slays baneslayers and war monks, but if the early mana ramps are shocked in one way or another, these can be too slow.
As far as the splash goes, I think it greatly improves the deck. It supports the unearth theme, which lets one continue producing uncounterable a little later into the game, and gives access to blightning, which extends the burn total to 32 minimum (4 bolts, 4 burst, 4 blights)
I think your math went wrong there, 2+3+4=9, not 13.

Decks
The idea is that Goblin Guide hits eace turn.
First turn: Guide, 2
Second: Hellspark, swing with guide: 2+3= 5
Third: Thunder, Swing with gobbo: 4+2= 6
6=5=2=13
Math is fine, but guide doesn't always survive that long. Still, that leaves anaccounted for the 7 unearth damage lying in the yard. And 7+13 is 20. Ooh, nifty.
forgot about that part. Yeah, that is nice.

Decks
I would even go so far as to say the Hell's Thunder is often better than ball lightning because of it's understatedly fat behind (bolt proof and undisfigureable), and it's ability to hit again on turn five.

I agree with this - Thunder if often better than Lightning here.  I usually only play Ball Lightning if my opponent taps out (unless there's no better option).  If they leave red mana open, Hell's Thunder is definitely the better play.

I am Blue/White
I tend to use ball lightning to punish other players for tapping down. But the other way I use it is to force my opponents to play around it. If they know you run ball lightnings and they see you have RRR available, it's a rare time that they will actually tap down and allow you to get a free ball lightning in, but if and when they do, you will usually win the game.

Forcing your opponent to answer ball lightning, and NOT answer your guides/geopede's can also be the right play. If you opponent isn't killing guide right away it's because they either A) can't kill it as they have no removal (unlikely), B) aren't killing it because they're afraid of your bigger threats getting through like hell's thunder and ball lightning.

So use that to your advantage and especially if you get 2 ball lightnings, don' hesitate to throw one into the fray to eat a bolt, only to lull them into thinking thye can tap down for their BBE this turn; it works many times for me, and it's often a good play. However, If they're showing removal, and you're not in a good position, hell's thunder is better 90% of the time.
I just traded off most of my red deck, so I really can't make one anymore. 

But a friend of mine is making what looks like a really good R/B goblins controllish build with Terminate, Blightning, Instigator, Chieftain, etc. 

Decks
That sounds like the list I tested.  I couldn't draw a non-awful hand to save my life or the life of a loved one.
Mono-red goblins is about 2-3x faster than RB and much more consistent.

RB is more resilient against control and mid-range, but mono-red usually just wins before they can get anything online.
This is surprisingly really amazing

// Lands
    16 [ZEN] Mountain (1)
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
    4 [ZEN] Plated Geopede
    4 [M10] Ball Lightning
    4 [CNF] Hellspark Elemental

// Spells
    2 [M10] Earthquake
    3 [ZEN] Elemental Appeal
    3 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
    4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
    4 [ZEN] Zektar Shrine Expedition

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Obsidian Fireheart
SB: 4 [M10] Act of Treason
SB: 3 [ZEN] Unstable Footing
SB: 4 [M10] Manabarbs

just can't lose to jund.
But you were deceived.
There's absolutely no reason not to run Teetering Peaks.  It's a Shock that taps for R.

Edit: As we seem to be getting off-topic slightly, I'll attempt to guide the discourse back to the original subject.  How can we make this any more efficient vs. the current meta of Jund, Baneslayers and Elfdrazi?  Is there any reason Shatter shouldn't be sided?  I know it's not terribly efficient, but a turn 4 or 5 Eldrazi Monument ends Red as badly as a Baneslayer.  It makes burn vs. creatures useless and it completely shuts down our creature-based damage (including evasives like Hell's Thunder) which accounts for nearly all of our damage.  There is NO way to win vs. Eldrazi when the opponent's life is above 5, and even then it's extremely bleak because we don't have blockers.
Caldera Hellion has generally been a really good sideboard against Elves, and Spire Barrage/Mark of Mutiny fan handle Baneslayer Angel.  RDW has the answers to these things, even though its a little janky.  Shatter might not be a bad SB option.
I agree with that. the peeks has helped me get some great second turn beets in and helps late game too.
I run Mono red here and its a little bit unorthodox but still works well i took 5th in a big turnie with it because it was my first time playing it.

Creatures X22
x4 goblin guide R
x4 Goblin bushwacker R
x4 Hellspark 1R
x4 Ball lighting RRR
x4 Hellsthunder 1RR
x1 obsidian fireheart 1RRR
x1 hellkite charger 4RR
Spells X16
x4 Lightingbolt R
x4 BurstLighting R
x4 Punishing Fire 1R
x4 elemental appeal RRRR
Walkers X2
x1 Chandra Nalaar 3RR
x1 chandra ablaze 4RR
Lands X20
x2 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
x4 Teetering Peeks
x14 Mountens

I know a lot of people dont play with the Pinnacle in this deck but i have found my self stalmated with decks and this has given me the win. its also why i have fou alternate win cons in the deck (walkers hellkite, and fireheart) i dont have nore do i want to play the fech lands so if you have other ideas besides those please let me know
There's absolutely no reason not to run Teetering Peaks.  It's a Shock that taps for R.

Edit: As we seem to be getting off-topic slightly, I'll attempt to guide the discourse back to the original subject.  How can we make this any more efficient vs. the current meta of Jund, Baneslayers and Elfdrazi?  Is there any reason Shatter shouldn't be sided?  I know it's not terribly efficient, but a turn 4 or 5 Eldrazi Monument ends Red as badly as a Baneslayer.  It makes burn vs. creatures useless and it completely shuts down our creature-based damage (including evasives like Hell's Thunder) which accounts for nearly all of our damage.  There is NO way to win vs. Eldrazi when the opponent's life is above 5, and even then it's extremely bleak because we don't have blockers.

Eldrazi Monument is a huge issue, but I'm not sure it's enough of one at this point to devote valuable sideboard space to it.  Our main game-plan against Elferazi is to just kill them before they can get a big enough army for it to matter - Earthquake helps tremendously here.  Our game against Jund is already pretty good - the only real issue for us is Sprouting Thrinax (oh how I wish we had Carbonize in this format).  However, even Thrinax can be dealt with (EOT bolt it, untap Earthquake to kill tokens and Leach/BBE).  Our best answers to Baneslayer (without splashing another color) remain Mark of Mutiny and Chandra Nalaar IMO.  Killing their mana dudes if they run green and blowing up lands with Goblin Ruinblaster can also be helpful.  I'm at the point where I'm considering maindecking Goblin Ruinblaster if I take this deck to state champs in a couple weeks.
I am Blue/White
This is the list I'm considering taking to state champs:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Plated Geopede
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Ball Lightning
3 Goblin Ruinblaster

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Earthquake
2 Mark of Mutiny

4 Teetering Peaks
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
11 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Pithing Needle
4 Unstable Footing
2 Mark of Mutiny
2 Chandra Nalaar
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Manabarbs

The Manabarbs may turn into Volcanic Fallouts, and I'm not entirely sure about the right maindeck Ruinblaster count.  I may take Ruinblaster back up to a 4-of and put one Earthquake in the sideboard.
I am Blue/White

Eldrazi Monument is a huge issue, but I'm not sure it's enough of one at this point to devote valuable sideboard space to it.  Our main game-plan against Elferazi is to just kill them before they can get a big enough army for it to matter - Earthquake helps tremendously here.  Our game against Jund is already pretty good - the only real issue for us is Sprouting Thrinax (oh how I wish we had Carbonize in this format).  However, even Thrinax can be dealt with (EOT bolt it, untap Earthquake to kill tokens and Leach/BBE).  Our best answers to Baneslayer (without splashing another color) remain Mark of Mutiny and Chandra Nalaar IMO.  Killing their mana dudes if they run green and blowing up lands with Goblin Ruinblaster can also be helpful.  I'm at the point where I'm considering maindecking Goblin Ruinblaster if I take this deck to state champs in a couple weeks.

ruinblaster main deck is good.  if nothing else, he's a goblin that swings for 2 the turn that he's played and most decks utilize non-basic lands (emeria, magosi, oran-rief, m10 duals, refuges, tri-lands).  in my testing, he's been decent at worst, game changing at best, plus waiting for an opportune kicker helps to keep from overextending.

hope that helps.
magosi??? 

And you forgot Valakut... 

Decks
4 Arid Mesa
4 Teetering Peaks
4 Naya Panorama
4 Tarn
12 Mountain

1 Magma Phoenix
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Ball Lightning
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Planted Geopede

4 Burst
4 Bolt
4 Earthquake
3 Zektar Shrine Expedition

sb
2 Chandra Nalarr
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Mark of Munity
3 Quenchable Fire
3 Fallout

I'm iffy about Magma Phenix.
Any thoughts on what to replace it with? I was thinking Mark of Mutiny.
Rather than have just 1 phoenix or treason, drop the phoenix and put in another expedition.

Decks
I'd replace the Pans with Mountains since you've already got enough fetch for the 'Pede, and CIPT hurts Red, replace the Phoenix and 1 Quake with 2 Mark of Mutiny, I believe the current meta justifies it.  Phoenix is great except it's more likely to get Pathed than just killed.

Edit: And replace the open Mark slot in the 'Board with a third Nalaar.  She's amazing.
I'd rather have the 'quake than Treason...

Decks
Run both.  Quake is great for sweeping, Mark helps get in the last points of damage.
Jonny, there's no reason to go up to 64 cards with 28 lands to add Naya Panorama - that card really doesn't help, you've got enough landfall and the Panorama really dilutes your deck's speed and consistency.

This is the list I'm testing right now - comments?

23 Lands

4 Arid Mesa
11 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peeks

21 Creatures

4 Ball Lightning
4 Goblin Guide
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Plated Geopede

16 Other Spells

4 Burst Lightning
4 Elemental Appeal
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Zektar Shrine Expedition

Sideboard

3 Goblin Ruinblaster (vs color intensive decks, ie. Jund)
4 Pithing Needle (vs pesky Planeswalkers)
4 Unstable Footing (vs fog)
4 Volcanic Fallout (vs aggro, ie. Boros, Eldrazi)
-1 Ruinblaster -1 Burst Lightning +2 Earthquake
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
I like Earthquake but I couldn't really fit it the first time. Here's the newer version.

24 Lands

4 Arid Mesa
12 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peeks

20 Creatures

4 Ball Lightning
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Plated Geopede

16 Other Spells

4 Burst Lightning
2 Earthquake
2 Elemental Appeal
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Zektar Shrine Expedition

Sideboard

1 Earthquake
2 Elemental Appeal
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Pithing Needle
4 Unstable Footing
Jonny, there's no reason to go up to 64 cards with 28 lands to add Naya Panorama - that card really doesn't help, you've got enough landfall and the Panorama really dilutes your deck's speed and consistency.

Yeah, I fixed the mana base a few days ago.
Now it's just fetches, Peeks, and basics (it was always 24 land, it was just a bad typo).
Also, after play testing a fair bit, I find that 4 Earthquake md is great. Helps with Naya, Jund, Boros, Elves, etc. It's also a good card just to burn face with, even if it doesn't kill dudes.
Quenchable Fire is also amazing against decks that don't run U, such as Vamps. Whenever I drew Quensh against Vamps my opponent would curse at the damn thing.

Thanks guys for helping me out

4 Arid Mesa
4 Teetering Peaks
4 Naya Panorama
4 Tarn
12 Mountain

1 Magma Phoenix
4 Goblin Guide
4 Hell's Thunder
4 Ball Lightning
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Planted Geopede

4 Burst
4 Bolt
4 Earthquake
3 Zektar Shrine Expedition

sb
2 Chandra Nalarr
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Mark of Munity
3 Quenchable Fire
3 Fallout

I'm iffy about Magma Phenix.
Any thoughts on what to replace it with? I was thinking Mark of Mutiny.

28 lands??? In RDW??????