Duels of the Planeswalkers Expands to PC, PS3 in 2010

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I suspect the "secret bonus feature" of the PC version will be deck customization.

I love Duels of the Planeswalkers and am excited they are planning more expansions!

This is a very positive and exciting announcement, particularly as the other game recently announced for the PC and PS3 seems not to be as similar to the card game.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

I still wish WOTC would embrace MACs...

I'm excited for this.

I mostly play with my wife, and sometimes I have a craving when she's not around or not interest. I don't own an x-box and often just want to play a quick game or two without going down to the shop or dealing with the heavy online competition and costs. 

Also I hope decks can be customized. That's easily one of my favorite parts of the game. Building something then testing it out. 

I wonder if they will consider making a PSP version. Being able to play Magic everywhere I go is really important to me :P

Look forward to getting this game on pc

Still not interested, until the option to take cards out of the decks exists.

I wonder if they will consider making a PSP version. Being able to play Magic everywhere I go is really important to me :P

I don't think the PSP has the processing power.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but recalling the article about how the game was designed for the triple processors of Xbox leaves me impressed that they're able to port at all.   Knowing how limited the AI is even now, I have to think the PSP is completely ruled out by hardware limitations.

However, the next version of MTGO is being developed in Silverlight, meaning it runs in browsers.  So while you may not get DotP on a PSP, we might not be far from playing full unrestricted Magic from the accessibility of a smartphone.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

They are not going to make a cheaper alternative to MTGO. Sorry, but I am afraid that deck customisation is an impossible dream...

Still seems like fun, though. I don't own an X-Box, so... Fun.

The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.

If it's cheap enough I might get it, even though I rarely buy video games in the summer months. I don't have a console so all I have seen of it are screenshots and some video footage, but I'd be interested. It depends on where my head is with the game. But putting my own situation aside, I think it is great that they are making this available on more platforms.

I'm betting the PC feature will allow them to play 360 users.
I own a PS3 and am a little confused by the post it says something about the fall and the PS3 but then says will be in 2011 in japan, so japan get it latter??
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
This is not the first computer or online MTG offering. Duels of the Planeswalkers was released a long time ago on PC with at least one expansion. It had a single player campaign game where you gathered cards by battling random monsters on the map. It also had a free play mode where you made your deck and could at least play against the computer, if not another person. I can't confirm the latter, but I know you could play the computer.

There was also a program for PC that you could use to organize your collection and it had a free play mode you could use to play your friends on a LAN, at least.
Did I miss the PS3 release of this? I swear we use ours more to play regular DVDs and to stream Netflix than to play any games (of which we only have Little Big Planet and FFXIII which we just bought last week). 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

I still wish WOTC would embrace MACs...

I definatly agree. how fresh would it be to play magic wirelessly on an iPad?!?! but i think it really needs a deck builder for me to invest in it.
-The Symphony of Blood- 15° Explorer in the O.R.C.
I want to play Magic: The Gathering Duels Of Planeswalkers on my PS3, when will a release date in the PlayStationStore?, Or is this for PS3 canceled?

Sorry for my English, thank you very much
As far as I know, this article is still the most up to date information:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Please someone correct me if there's been an announcement after that but I can't see one. As I read it, it should be on PS3 this fall.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
I'm a little confused. Is the game coming out in stores for the PC or is it only a downloadable game?
Does anyone know?  I like to hold games in my hand!
no, this will be a download only game provided by steam. With a steam account, you can purchase games and then wherever you log into your steam account, you can play them (you will need to redownload the game if you ain't got it on that specific machine).

So no, im afraid no hard copies.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Well, this just about confirms that there's a third expansion in the works. Regardless, I'll probably get it for the PC too, so long as it allows deck customization. Not holding my breath though.

Being a collector, I think I will buy the new Duels of the Planeswalker decks. But.... I have a question. I thought the cards in the decks had the old M in a circle icon. I looked up the cards on the Products Page and when you click on their picture none of them have this icon.  I don't want to get these decks if they are just a mix of old sets, because I already have those cards! Will they have a different icon or not?

they will be gold bordered cards that aren't legal with their own expansion symbol. They will NOT be exact legal copies of the actual released cards from all their sets... if that makes sense.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Wow gold bordered, with their own symbol?  --- Thanks
A little light on the subject. From Steam and the game advertised price of 8.99 € and will be available in June, this is the link:

store.steampowered.com/app/49400/

And these are the requirements to play: 

Windows XP with Service Pack 3
Processor:
2GHz CPU (Pentium 4 or equivalent)
Memory:
1GB RAM (2GB for Vista)
DirectX®:
DirectX 9.0c or later
Hard Drive:
700MB
Sound:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Video:
256MB VRAM GPU capable of Pixel Shader 2.0c or better

Prepare your mouse-clicks ;)

PD: Sorry for my English

I hope it is like the PC demo. The PC demo allowed you to control you mana taps.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

I look forward to PS3 version but I still have not seen or read anything about when it will be release. Has anyone heard anything lately?
No date has been given yet I'm afraid. "Soon" is all that we have heard.

It's one of 17 questions we have been promised answers to, and are awaiting eagerly. You can read the thread here.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Sign In to post comments