Pushing the mechanics of the defender

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, I find myself taking a first whack at homebrewing a new class.  Well, updating a 3rd party setting to 4e, and that requires a new class: the steamborg.  A steampunk cyborg.  Considering their iron toughness, defender seems an ideal role.  So before I brew up a bunch of powers, I wanted to come up with the basic premise of how the class works.  And I find myself pushing the boundaries of what it means to be a defender.

The role of a defender is to encourage enemies to attack the defender first - by punishing enemies for doing otherwise.  Thus far, this has always meant a mark mechanic that allows the defender to get in an extra attack if enemies ignore the defender.  But I wanted to break the mold a little here with the steamborg.  Not greatly, but at least try out something new.  The steamborg still marks enemies, and the steamborg still punishes enemies for ignoring that mark.  But I'm redefining punishment.  Within the DragonMech setting, steamborgs struggle with a mind no longer completely human, prone to bouts of becoming an unfeeling machine.  I wanted to capture this with the mark.  When you attack the steamborg's allies, you draw out his inner Terminator.  In his... well, rage isn't quite the right word... he becomes an unstoppable killing machine.  When you ignore his mark, he immediately gains temporary hit points and a bonus to damage rolls until the end of his next turn.  I really like this form of discouragement: ignore this defender, and he becomes unstoppable - you better not ignore him.  And the damage boost is there to give some offensive power to this defender.

For feats, I'm thinking one gives him a +1 bonus to attack rolls when the mark's effect is triggered, another grants him an instant saving throw (against only 1 effect) when the mark is triggered, and there's a utility power that lets him recover hit points when the mark is triggered.  And this is warlord-style healing - just refusing to go down.

I think it's an interesting idea, and I'd like to explore it, but do you think it's balanceable?  Being so different, it'll be harder to compare.  In its favor is the fact that the mark's effect triggers with no action (and the steamborg places marks like the fighter - lasting until end of next turn, a no action effect applied to every attack).  On the other hand, the effect isn't stackable, so a steamborg who has several enemies trigger the mark gets no benefit after the first one.

temp HP + damage bonus

sounds good.

what power source? 

what stats? str + con? con + int?

Why is this a class and not just the warforged race?

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Sounds like a promising idea, but you would have to make the temp HP pretty good to make it a worthwhile deterent. Like maybe, temp HP equal to your level?Either that, or allow the temp HP to stack, but give it a diminishing return for multiple enemies. Like say... first guy gives you 10 temp, the next one gives you 7 temp, then 5, then 3, then 1. I dunno, but the basic idea of encouraging enemies not to attack your allies by actually bolstering yourself is a good idea.

I think the damage bonus is a good idea too.

As for the powers, you might want to give it a dose of leader. Like, transfer some of his temp HP to allies, or something.

Tmp and a damage bonus isn't a punishment effect, its a power up effect.

Besides a more machine like concept should avoid tmp.

Perhaps the following might be more interesting.

"If a enemy marked by the Steamborg makes an attack against an ally without targeting the steamborg, the steamborg as an immediate reaction deals 1[W] damage to the enemy and gain resist damage equal to 1/2 con until the end of the steamborgs next turn. "

Thanks for the feedback all.

GeneralHenry, it's a new power source: Steam.  The DragonMech setting very clearly has this extra power source.  It can also be adapted into non-steampunk settings as an alternative arcane defender, one that's basically a half-golem type thing.  Bringing back grafts for the win.  Str-based attacks, Con and Int both secondary.  (Which really fits, as they were important stats in the 3.5 class).  The Unbreakable build is secondary Con, and the Gadgeteer build is secondary Int.  The first really plays up the becomes tougher aspect, while the Gadgeteer has an array of non-weapon attacks and odd tricks.  Kind of Inspector Gadget as a warrior.

Sea-Envy, I had considered using the Warforged as a cyborg race and allowing feats like Revenants have to indicate former race, but going back to the inspiring setting, there's actually real potential as a class, with all the built-in tricks.

Chameleon-X and Bait-hammer, after speaking to some friends, I'm inclined to say that Resist All might actually be the better fit.  And I cannot figure out how to make temp hp sharing work for a steamborg.  And Bait-hammer, isn't it a deterent to not want to give your enemy a power up?  It's an odd take, but I like it.  And why can't more machine-like things get temp hp?  That's exactly how they're explaining warforged toughness.

I say it should also give a bonus to hit, to make it more likely the Steamborg can punish the enemy. Its an interesting take and I like it... its not gonna be all that sticky though so you should have some powers that make it harder for an enemy to move away and easier for the Steamborg to follow a target.

Also maybe give riders to power when benefiting from that frenzy ability of his... like they gain new effects in addition to the damage boost (or in place).

58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!

Good idea, Undave.  I was actually considering a bonus to attack as well, but I wondered if I was trying to take the concept in too many different ways if I gave an attack, damage, and survivability boost as the mark effect.  Glad to know it won't be too much.  I was actually debating the two builds each getting its own mark boost.  Gadgeteers pull random tricks out of nowhere, granting a bonus to attack rolls (not combat advantage mechanically, but the same basic fluff).  I was thinking maybe an encounter reroll ability.  The Unbreakable or Strongarm steamborgs might get a heavier damage boost, making them secondary strikers.  That sounds like Strongarm would be the more appropriate name.  Maybe that's three builds now: Gadgeteers are the accurate ones, Strongarms the hard-hitting ones, and Unbreakable the resilient ones.  Maybe their class feature is a free saving throw, once per encounter.  Yeah, immediate reaction, whenever they're hit by an attack with an effectg a save can end.  Immediately roll a save to end it.

Hmm... stickiness - that's a tricky one.  Well, gadgeteer steamborgs would have a few slowing, restraining, and dazing powers.  Smoke screen, flash grenades, grappling lines, chain-tanglers, etc.  Strongarm could get grab attacks with crushing claws or the like.  Unbreakable steamborgs get charge attacks and resist all against AoO provoked during the charge.  And generally utility powers like that.

Oh yeah, they're definitely getting powers with added effect while in this killing frenzy.

Well you could make it so the Frenzy (Battle Frenzy or Killing Frenzy is a good name for a class feature) grants a free shift when it triggers, just to make it easier for them to follow their target.

Sounds like you got a plan there: each type of Steamborg get a different boost when their Frenzy is activated and a different class feature encounter power.

One gets a bonus to accuracy and a reroll once per encounter. His powers would be more controllerish with more varied effects that can hit multiple targets around him.He would be the stickiest of the three.

One gets a bonus to damage with an encounter minor action attack power that only works while in a Frenzy (or something). His powers are more Striker in style, letting him do more damage to a specific foe and move about. He would generally be more mobile than the other two.

And one gets a bonus to resiliance with an encounter power that give him a free saving throw with a bonus to the roll as an interupt. His powers would have a slight Leader bent, with powers that grant temp HP, share defense bonus with adjacent allies and also powers that redirect hits toward him. He wouldn't be as mobile or as sticky as the other two but a middle ground and would work the best at protecting other melee allies.

58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.

All right, I'll definitely consider adding a shift to the Killing Frenzy.  I definitely agree that the gadgeteer (accuracy reroll build) is a secondary controller.  The strongarm build... hmm... I like the idea of getting an attack power as its encounter power.  Definitely damaging.  But I was thinking more like a +1d6 per tier, once per encounter, while in a Killing Frenzy.  Definitely a secondary striker.  Playing up the barbarian aspect.  I also like the idea of a Bend Weapon attack power being one for this build.  I could so picture this: you swing a sword at the steamborg, and he grabs it and bends the blade.  A weakens effect.  I hadn't pictured strongarms as the really mobile steamborg, but I guess it's doable.  For them it would probably be immediate reaction/interrupt powers that let them get an AoO or even a charge against marked enemies that leave them behind.  I'm struggling to see an unbreakable steamborg being secondary leader and sharing temp hp.  A steamborg is getting the temp hp for not having enough demihuman left to really die - you can't share that.  I suppose they could be inspiring in their resilience and comforting knowing that you have this unstoppable killing machine on your side.  For their stickiness, I think it's mainly that they get a small amount of damage resistance from AoOs provoked while charging/moving.  Because of their iron hides, they'll just charge through hoards of enemies to get to their friends and not care.  Geez, I'm really making them into barbarians with the defender role, aren't I?

Well maybe not share Temp HP but maybe give out defense bonus to adjacent allies? Sorta like they use their bodies as shield (maybe make it a feat, when you grant an ally cover against an attack that attack takes an additional -1 penalty to it!). Rerouting attacks toward them too.

Hmm I hadn't thought of the resilient one as the more mobile one because of its anti-AoO properties... nice idea there.

Yeah it does feel a bit Barbarian-style but if you can find some interesting design space to fill it could be fun.
58292718 wrote:
What do you think of a con primary?

Think of it like this: the more naturally resilient an individual is, the more surgery he'll be able to handle, since his vitals are stronger, and he heals better afterwards for less downtime and so the more of his body would be able to be replaced.  Much as the swordmage's attacks are determined by magical ability as opposed to strength (which is still valuable as a secondary) a Steamborg's attacks would be determined by the quality and pervasiveness of his implants, which would be based on his Con.

I'd rather see something a little different than another strength primary defender is all, and we need some con primarys IMO.
What do you think of a con primary?

Think of it like this: the more naturally resilient an individual is, the more surgery he'll be able to handle, since his vitals are stronger, and he heals better afterwards for less downtime and so the more of his body would be able to be replaced. Much as the swordmage's attacks are determined by magical ability as opposed to strength (which is still valuable as a secondary) a Steamborg's attacks would be determined by the quality and pervasiveness of his implants, which would be based on his Con.

I'd rather see something a little different than another strength primary defender is all, and we need some con primarys IMO.

I actually had been debating CON primary (in fact, the 3.5 class was CON primary), but I thought the whole constitution/hit points thing might be too great a benefit.  But I do like it, and your logic was exactly the thought behind the 3.5 steamborg.  So maybe I will do it.

And Undave, I like the idea of My Body as a Shield (power name?).  I could see it being a power or a feat.  As a power it would be a little more significant of an ability.  IIRC, the fighter or paladin gets a power like that.  So yeah, steamborgs will get something like that.  As one of the leader-ish defender powers, how about this one?  It's a daily utility that grants you temporary hit points, and allies within 10 squares regeneration 2 as long as your temp hp remain.  Or maybe it should be as long as you're not bloodied.  If I go with temp hp, it may be as long as you have temp hp, regardless of source.  Very much along the idea that your amazing fortitude inspires your allies to keep on fighting.  I've gone to this a couple of times, but it's the comfort of having such an unstoppable ally.
I had been thinking that you should do the other roles as steam power source classes.
the even more terminator like striker class a controler that shoots steam clouds and the like.

My biggest problem so far, was, why should replacing parts with metal make you into an agressive proactive bodyguard.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

And Bait-hammer, isn't it a deterent to not want to give your enemy a power up?  It's an odd take, but I like it.  And why can't more machine-like things get temp hp?  That's exactly how they're explaining warforged toughness.

Not really if I can take out your healer /controller or Dps and then play keep away until your power wears off. ( Besides the effect your going after is covered under striker, eg Retribution Avengers.)

Warforged aren't strictly mechanical, there internals are made out of wood fiber.

As this is a class, you should be thinking of at least two variations and three stats.
Sea-Envy, there will in fact be more steam classes coming.  The coglayer is a leader, secondary controller.  Really just a refluffed artificer, so I probably won't create a whole new class.  The mech jockey is a striker and presents a whole slew of problems - I'll cross that bridge later.  But basically the idea is to make mechs work a little bit like figurines of wondrous power, with hit points, attack capabilities, and mech jockeys spending healing surges to keep their hp up to par.  A mech jockey uses their actions to control the mech, and they have a few "dead" power levels, where mech jockeys don't learn any encounter, daily, or utility powers.  Instead, all mechs have powers of those levels, and only mech jockeys can use them.  So it all works out the same, but the mech jockey gains access to them based on choice of mech, not based on level up.

As for why being part machine makes you a good bodyguard, why does being able to cast spells while fighting with a sword make you a good bodyguard?  That's the one problem with roles in 4e: it becomes so hard to play outside of class type.  I miss wizards in the leader role.  You just can't yet mimic all that bull's strength, stoneskin, and hasting.  Ok, so you can cast those spells, but you can't make it central to your combat style.  You'd have to play a bard or artificer.

Ok Bait-hammer.  I see your point.  However, I was trying to push the boundaries, try a new approach at achieving the same goal.  I hear PH3 will do a lot of that.  I have three builds and three stats, discussed previously: Gadgeteer, Strongarm, and Unbreakable.  Stats: Con, Str, and Int.  Con primary, Int for gadgeteer, Str for Strongarm, and Str for Unbreakable.

I'll admit that warforged aren't mechanical, but they have the same sort of not-completely living resilience.  Let's not mince words over technicalities, there's a similarity that's worth playing up.  Especially since I'm trying to keep the steamborg adaptable to non-steampunk settings as a "half-golem," using 3.5 terms.  The golem equivalent of a cyborg works just as well in lower-tech settings.  And in that case the comparison to warforged is more obviously accurate.
I generally like the idea of powering up the Defender for a mark punishment instead of just dealing damage or attacking (non-Assault Swordmages have alternate effects as well but that's another story). I'd question giving the defender temporary hit points as a mark punishment however.

While the idea may work thematically, what you're really doing is discouraging the enemy from hitting the defender if you give them temporary hit points. Giving the defender a damage bonus would do a much better job at fulfilling the basic concept of a mark punishment.

A mark punishment should always give the monster more incentive to hit the defender, not less (or some less, some more).

I wouldn't necessarily kill the idea though. Battlerager Fighters can also gain temporary hit points for applying their mark punishment if memory serves, so it isn't altogether unheard of. I'd recommend keeping the number of temporary hit points low, however, if you decide to keep it around. Ability score modifier is more than enough.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
What about a Controler-Defender that imposes status effects if anyone ignores his mark?

You could add some encounter powers or utilities as Immediate actions, or as free actions, that power up the mark when triggered.

I think this would work really well as a psionic defender.  Random idea below:

Class Feature: Psi-Mark
Close Burst 2; minor action
Mark the enemy. 

Class Feature: Psi-Punishment
Immediate Interrupt
If makes an attack that doesn't include you, you may [daze*] it.

Punishing Mark  (Utility 2; Daily)
As a foe attacks your ally, you muddle its mind with a powerful psychic attack
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: Marked enemy triggers your Psi-Punishment.
Attack:
Hit: The enemy takes some damage and is stunned

Multi-Punishment (Utility 2; Encounter)
This lets you punish two marked enemies in a single turn!
Free Action
Trigger: Marked eney triggers your psi-punishment
You may [daze*] the enemy.

*Replace Daze with your choice of status effect: Weakened, Restrained, Immobolized, etc.

Probably not balanced or worded correctly, but I think you get the idea.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I  posted some idea for the Steamborg and the Mechjokey classes inn 4th ed. on the oficial dragonmech forum the last year (forum name: Alyss).
EDIT: find it!

www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.p...

The tread cntain some of my ideas 
Actually Play'ng: Nothing. My old party is full of short-sighted racists and sexists (on their own admission), so I left.
I see this thread continued to net some ideas since I last visited. I'm busy bogged down with finals and grad school applications right now, but in a week or so I'll be freer and working on this again - with some extra incentive, as it sounds like come spring I'll be DMing a DragonMech game, and one player is interested in playing an Unbreakable steamborg. So I know where I'll be starting.

EDIT: And as another little addition I'll be making, one that draws a little bit on psionics previews: steam weapons.  They're a new group of weapons (as opposed to simple or military) that have an at-will power associated with them.  However, to use the at-will, you need to expend fuel, which is handled as a consumable.  They're ways you could modify basic attacks (or something.  I haven't decided for sure yet).  With feats, you could instead augment at-will and later encounter powers.
Well, I'm ready with a first draft of the class (powers and paragon paths to come).

Role: defender. Your superhuman strength and toughness allow you to last in combat, and your tendency to enter a killing frenzy when your allies are injured encourages enemies to deal with you first.
Power Source: Steam
Key Abilities: Constitution, Strength, Intelligence. You rely on stamina to uphold all these augmentations, intelligence to design and maintain these augmentations, and augmented strength to hit hard and fast.
Armor Proficiencies: cloth, leather, hide. People don't make plate to fit over limbs of steel.
Weapon Proficiencies: simple melee, simple ranged, choice of three steam weapons
Implements: schemas. You use complex diagrams and technical theory to augment your body. You can use a schema as an implement for your implement attacks. You can also apply the enhancement bonus and properties of a schema to weapon attacks you make with a steam weapon or embedded weapon. If you use a magic schema for a weapon attack, you do not get to use the enhancement bonus or magic properties of the weapon (if any).
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fort, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 17 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 7
Healing Surges per Day: 8 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Steam (Int). Choice of 3: Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Thievery (Dex)

Class Features: Galvanized Wrath, Ironsides, Better Faster Stronger, Alchemist

Galvanized Wrath: Every time you attack an enemy, whether you hit or miss, you can mark it until the end of your next turn. Whenever a marked enemy makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you enter a killing frenzy until the end of your next turn. While the killing frenzy lasts, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and +2 power bonus to damage rolls. Increase this bonus to damage rolls to +4 at 11th level and +6 at 21st level. (The bonuses from killing frenzy apply no matter whom you attack).
Ironsides: While wearing light armor, you gain a +3 bonus to AC and resist 5 against opportunity attacks. Increase to resist 10 at 11th level and resist 15 at 21st level.
Better, Faster, Stronger: Choose your path of enhancement
  • Unbreakable - while in a killing frenzy, you can make a saving throw against one effect a save can end at the start of your turn. If successful, the effect immediately ends. If you fail the saving throw, you can still make a saving throw against the effect at the end of your turn.

• Strongarm - the bonus to damage rolls from your killing frenzy instead equals your Strength modifier. Increase to Strength modifier +2 at 11th level and Strength modifier +4 at 21st level.

• Gadgeteer - once a round, while you are in a killing frenzy you may reroll a failed attack roll and keep the new result.

Alchemist: You gain the alchemist feat.

----------------

New Skill: Steam(punk?) (Int)
Since I'm designing this with DragonMech in mind, I cannot imagine not having this skill. You can object to it, if you feel so. Just throw it out of your own uses. I won't budge on this.
  • Disable Device - as the Thievery skill. Some may complain about redundancy, but I say it counts. I've heard of some people complain about creating a technical-minded character who logically would be good at disabling traps and technical devices, but wouldn't be good at picking pockets. For them, the steam skill is what they should train in. It's kind of like bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate can all be used to get NPCs to help you, but by different methods. Nobody says they should all be rolled into one skill: Socialize.

• Repair - can be used to get broken or disabled devices working again.

• Repair - can be used on a steamborg, warforged, or mech in place of heal to allow use of second wind. In the case of mechs, the Heal skill cannot be used for this purpose.

• Scavenge - find useful/sellable parts in a mechanical wreck.

• Steam Knowledge - a monster knowledge skill for mechs and steampunk goodness.

New Weapons:
Steam weapons are a new category of weapons, as opposed to simple, military, or superior. Power-wise, they should be about on-par with superior weapons. I also introduce a new weapon group: chatterblade. Chatterblades are steam-powered weapons that deal damage via rotating teeth. So buzzsaws, chainsaw swords, and the like. Many steamweapons have an at-will power (most of them are at-will) associated with them. This is something new, and maybe it will be overpowered. I'll need to test it. These at-will powers have the new Fueled keyword. To use powers with the Fueled keyword, you must expend fuel. Fuel will be handled like a consumable (or maybe I'll check AV2 for rules on ammunition). Point is, it's a small augment for one-time use, and you have to pay for it. It's just the weapon rather than the consumable that describes the effect.

Chattersword, +2 proficiency, 1d10 damage, 2-handed, 60 gp, 20 lbs
heavy blade, chatterblade
brutal 1
Power: (at-will, fueled) Free action. Use this power when you hit with this weapon and deal damage. Make a secondary attack vs Fortitude. On a hit, the target takes ongoing 2 damage (save ends).  Special: for +3 or higher weapons (or weapons so enhanced by magic schema) increase to ongoing 5 damage.  For +5 or higher weapons/schema, increase to ongoing 10 damage.

Buzzaxe, +2 proficiency, 1d12 damage, 2-handed, 60 gp, 18 lbs
ax, chatterblade
high crit, brutal 1
Power: (at-will, fueled) Minor action.  The next time you hit with this weapon before the end of your next turn, roll twice for damage and use the higher result.

Chatterglaive, +2 proficiency, 2d4 damage, 2-handed, 55 gp, 22 lbs
heavy blade, polearm, chatterblade
reach, brutal 1
Power: as chattersword. This is a new weapon, with no history in 3.5. But it makes sense. I mean, I've seen this thing sold in hardware stores for yardwork purposes. It actually does harken back to the general nature of weapons being tools put to new use.

Steam Hammer, +2 proficiency, 2d6 damage, 2-handed, 40 gp, 17 lbs
hammer
Power: (at-will, fueled) Free action. Use this power when you attack with this weapon. If the attack hits, it deals an extra [W] damage.
Feats:

Improved Unarmed Strike (heroic)
Benefit: You can use unarmed strikes with a +2 proficiency bonus.

Design Notes:

Since steamborgs are supposed to be superhumanly tough, I went with higher than average hp, like the warden. I went with below average healing surges like the swordmage to reflect damage to mechanical components requiring more to fix than can be done during a short rest.

I borrowed the implements idea from the assassin and monk classes' use of ki foci. Originally I was going to make them weapon based, but it makes things really tough for the gadgeteer (or else you could build a character with no need for a magic weapon/implement and lacking critical hit bonus damage). Also, as I got to thinking about this class and powers I wanted, some I pictured as just hitting your enemy really hard with a metal fist. I wanted to make that viable.

That's all for now. It took me longer than expected to write all of this. Anyway, powers to come. I've got 1st level at-wills and encounter powers taken care. I'm running out of ideas though. I have come up with a very interesting sub-theme though - something that not everyone would want to do, but is worth at least a paragon path. The alchemical steamborg. I gave them the alchemist feat to represent making gizmos and gadgets (steamborgs certainly do that). But an occaional daily power represents steamborgs that dabble in traditional alchemy. They'll doctor their fuel source or water reserve with a potion for added effect. These will generally be daily powers, because it's bad for the engine, but they may toss a healing potion in their steam tank to gain regeneration and an aura of healing. They might use alchemist's fire to deal fire damage and get a boost of speed. At epic levels, they may use a dash of gorgons blood to partly petrify themselves with a makeshift stoneskin potion. They may have special riders for Unbreakable steamborgs, as this misuse of potions can be kind of bad for them. And using existing DragonMech lore, I'll probably include a power (and even paragon path) for doctoring the fuel with moonstone. But after that, the powers are beginning to all look the same to me. Steamborg as a tough thing that goes berserk in combat will just wind up looking like battlerager fighter. I'll probably even steal some powers. I'm blanking on many nifty, built-in tricks. I've got taser tap, boiler overload, and ejector fist powers planned, but that won't get me a full class's worth of powers. Anyone got ideas for other nifty tricks?

...And now I've got the first level's worth of powers and a few utility powers (maybe not all level 2). I'm not writing all of the attacks out in full - just the basic crunch. (So if unspecified, you can assume melee range, 1 target, standard action, etc.). Note that I'm not familiar with designing new class powers, so I could use some help here.

At-Will

Relentless Blow
Con vs AC
1[W] + Con mod damage and you gain temporary hp = Con mod

Backhand Swipe
Con vs AC
1[W] + Con mod damage and push 1 square

Ejector Fist
Con vs AC
range: melee +1
1[W] + Con mod damage

Crushing Blow
Con vs AC
1[W] + Con mod + Str mod damage

Encounter

Iron Rush
Con vs AC
1[W] damage and knock prone
can use in place of basic attack when charging

Concealed Weapon
you can draw a weapon as part of this attack. You have combat advantage for this attack.
Con vs AC
1[W] + Con mod damage
Gadgeteer: you can add your Int mod to the damage

Taser Tap
Con vs AC
1[W] + Con mod lightning damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn
Gadgeteer: if you have combat advantage for this attack or score a critical hit, you also knock it prone

Backhand Smash
immediate reaction: an adjacent enemy hits you or an ally
2[W] + Con mod daamge and knock prone
Strongarm: you can also slide the target 1 square

Unstoppable Charge
2[W] + Con mod
usable in a charge
deal an extra [W] damage if you were hit by an opportunity attack
Unbreakable: add your Str mod to the damage if you were hit by an opportunity attack
NOTE: Official wording should make it clear that being hit by multiple opportunity attacks does not further increase damage. 1 or 20, you won't be adding more than 1[W]+Str damage.

Eye Laser
ranged 5
Con vs Ref (implement, not weapon)
1d6 + Con mod radiant damage and you gain a +2 power bonus to your next attack roll before the end of your next turn
Gadgeteer: this attack does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity

Daily

Galvanized Rush
Con vs AC
usable in a charge
2[W] + Con mod damage (miss: half)
deals +1[W] damage for every Attack of Opportunity that hits you during the charge.

Boiler Burst
immediate reaction: an attack bloodies you or deals damage while you're bloodied
Close burst 1, Con vs Fort (implement attack)
3d6+Con mod fire damage, and the burst creates a zone that is heavily obscured and lasts until the end of your next turn.
Miss: 1d6+Con mod fire damage and the zone

Burst of Speed
Con vs Ref, 3 attacks
1, 2, or 3 targets
1[W] + Con mod damage
Gadgeteer: you can shift 1 square after each attack
Effect: Until the end of your next turn you may make a basic attack as a minor action.

Liftoff Uppercut
Con vs AC
3[W] + Con mod damage and you push the target 2 squares plus 1 square vertically. The target then falls.
Miss: half (no push)
This power feels a little awkward and in need of work, but I'm sure you get the idea of what it's supposed to do, and it's such a cool image, smacking them so hard they take off into the air.

Juggernaut Strike
Con vs AC
2[W] + Con mod damage (miss half)
Effect: you gain resist 2 all until the end of the encounter

Utility

Iron Berserker
daily - 6th level?
stance
minor action
when hit by an AoO, immediate reaction to push the triggering enemy 1 square

Unbreaking
daily
stance
minor action
you gain temp hp = Con mod when hit by AoO
I don't think both this and Iron Berserker should be level 2 dailies. Which (if either) is appropriate for level 2?

Scanning
encounter (?)
minor action
ignore concealment or total concealment for next attack
higher level versions of this power would allow you to pinpoint invisible creatures or repeat the effect as a minor action for the entire encounter (that would be for a daily power)

Repair Automatons
daily
free, when you use your second wind
spend a second healing surge and regain hp for both
this is a higher level utility power. Based on fluff, I think it should be epic. Is it balanced for an epic level utility power?  EDIT: Compared to the Cloak of Walking Wounded and the Self-Forged, paragon or even high heroic is ok.

Unbreakable Ally
No mere mortal could withstand the punishment you so readily endure. Your allies take comfort in having an unstoppable war machine on their side.
daily - 10th
requirement: you must NOT be bloodied
minor action
you gain resist 5 all until you are bloodied, and each time you are hit, allies within 5 squares who can see you gain temp hp = 5+1/2 level
Not a level 2 utility, that's for sure. Probably not even level 6. Is it fine for 10, or should this be a paragon level utility power?

I just realized that I haven't yet created a multiclass feat, so here we are:

Steam Implant [multiclass steamborg]
Benefit: once per encounter, as a free action, you gain resist 5 against one attack.

Killing Machine [multiclass steamborg]
Once per encounter, you may designate an enemy you hit or miss as the target of this feat.  If the target makes an attack that does not include you, your next attack gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll and +2 bonus to the damage roll.

The second one may not be a good idea, or at least, it needs work.  I want to give a multiclass option for killing frenzy.  Currently, warden is the only multiclass that gives you a mark, and it's just a mark and nothing else.  With killing machine I did the reverse, giving the mark's extra benefit without the actual mark.  The wording feels awkward, since I didn't have the word "mark" to refer to.

I'm also questioning the balance of Burst of Speed.  Maybe at higher levels that would be appropriate, but for 1st level, that might be a bit much.  Maybe the first level version should be shift your speed and make a basic attack at any point along the way.  Effect: until the end of the encounter, once a round as a minor action you can make a basic attack.  Or maybe if I just cut it to two attacks rather than 3.  The bonus damage from CON mod, magic weapon, feats, etc. add for each attack, so a third attack allows room for a fair bit more damage, especially at higher levels.  As currently written, it might be a power that you never want to retrain.
I haven't forgotten about this thread.  Here's a few more powers.

Cobbled Resources Encounter Utility level 2
Free Action
Effect: Use the Fueled effect of a steam weapon without expending any fuel.

Level 3 Encounter Powers:

Distracting Flare
Encounter * Implement, Steam
Standard Action * Close blast 1
Target: 1 creature in blast
Attack: Con vs Ref
Hit: The target is blinded until the end of its next turn.
Effect: Make a secondary attack against the same target.  This attack is against AC and has the weapon keyword.
Hit: 1[W]+Con damage.

Sudden Charge
Encounter * Steam, Weapon
Requirement: You must charge and use this power in place of a melee basic attack.
Standard Action * Melee weapon
Attack: Con vs Reflex
Hit: 1[W]+Con damage
Special: You may use this power as an immediate reaction against a marked enemy who makes an attack that does not include you as a target.
Strongarm: Add your Str to the damage dealt.
Unbreakable: On a hit, you gain temp hp = Con mod.
(Alternatively, this power targets AC but does not provoke AoOs during the charge)

Set to Puree
Your weapon hand begins to spin, creating a whirling wall of death from which there is no escape.
Hit: 1[W]+Con mod damage
Effect: Gain a +1 power bonus to AC and Ref until the end of your next turn.
Gadgeteer: The bonus equals +2

Powerful Strike
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: 3[W]+Con damage
Strongarm: Add your Str mod to the damage.

Lightning Strike
You strike with superhuman speed
Minor Action * Melee weapon
Hit: 1[W]+Con mod damage.

Level 5 dailies

Powerful Leap
Daily * Steam, Weapon
Standard Action * Close burst 1
Effect: Jump a number of squares equal to your speed + Str mod.  Then make the following attack
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 2[W]+Con mod damage and the target is knocked prone.
Miss: half

Magnetic Tether
You shoot out a small object that grasps hold of your foe.  Using the magnet it contains and an element on your end, you keep the foe close.
Daily * Implement, Reliable, Steam
Standard Action * Ranged 10
Hit: Until the end of the encounter, the target is affected by your magnetic tether.  While affected, you can use a minor action to make a secondary attack versus Fortitude.  On a hit, you pull it 3 squares and deal 1d6+Con damage.  On a miss, you pull it 1 square.

Note: maybe it should be tethered (save ends)?  Also, there will be a higher level version of this using electric tethers.  It deals ongoing lightning damage as well as allowing the pull, and since there's a physical tether, it will also force the enemy to stay within X squares of you.

Jagged Wounds
A chattersword leaves terrible wounds.  You know how to capitalize on that.
Daily * Steam, Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a steam weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Con vs Fort
Hit: 2[W]+Con mod damage and ongoing 5 damage (save ends)
Miss: half damage and no ongoing damage
Strongarm: add your Str mod to the ongoing damage.

Resurgent Strike
Daily * Steam, Weapon
Hit: 2[W]+Con mod damage
Miss: half damage
Effect: Spend a healing surge and make a saving throw
Unbreakable: Add Con mod to the hp regained.

I also figure it's about time I make some steamborg schemas.  I think this will be tricky, as most ought to be non-magical, but rather indicate more advanced technology.  There will be one for lightning damage, I know.  Probably one for resilience (sounds more like armor, but it makes sense for a steamborg).  Maybe one for speed.  Perhaps a regenerative one.  And I like the idea of an alchemical one.  You can store an alchemical item in it, and as a minor action when you hit with attack, you also apply the effects of the alchemical item (bypassing the often low accuracy of alchemical items).
I've got a few more additions now:

Drill Dagger, +3 proficiency, 1d4 damage, 1-handed, 30 gp, 5 lbs
light blade, off-hand
Power: (at-will, fueled) Free action.  Use this power when you hit with this weapon and deal damage.  This attack deals an extra 1[W] damage.
Drill Rapier, +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage, 1-handed, 50 gp, 8 lbs
light blade
Power: (at-will, fueled) Free action.  Use this power when you hit with this weapon and deal damage.  This attack deals an extra 1[W] damage.

And I have a 9th level daily.  More will come after I have the 6th level utilites and 7th level encounters.

Bend Weapon
You smash your foe's weapon or break off a chunk of its claw, ruining the weapon's threat.  As long as your foe continues to wield that weapon, its combat style is thrown off, further limiting their threat.
Daily * Steam, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Con + Str mod damage and the target is weakened and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
Miss: Str mod damage and the target is weakened and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).
Strongarm: On a hit, the foe takes a -2 penalty to the saving throw agains this power.

Hopefully I balanced this all right.  Most powers deal half damage on a miss.  I made it less damage and preserved the effect, because that's the more important part of this attack.  And the more flavorful.  It's not without precedent, but it is still rare.  So I'd really like feedback on this.  Should I just throw the damage out entirely?  To make it more akin to standard attacks, on a miss it should be "until end of next turn," but I cannot imagine a bent weapon suddenly being ok after one round.  Unless it's the foe bending it back into place.  Still, I think "save ends" ought to stay, and I should just find other ways to weaken it if currently overpowered.  Let me know.
I've gone back to the utility powers now.  Here's the level 2 ones now:

Cobbled Resources - see above

Scanning - see above

Don't Even Think About It * Utility 2
Your foe thinks to ignore you for an ally, but a glare from you makes their attack wither.
Encounter * Fear, Steam
Immediate Interrupt * Close burst 2
Trigger: a marked enemy makes an attack that does not include you as a target.
Target: the triggering enemy
Effect: The enemy rolls twice for damage and uses the lower result.

Boundless Endurance - see below

Unstoppable - see below

Iron Berserker is now a 6th level utility, and Unbreakable Ally is 10th level.  I'm also looking at the 2nd level fighter utilities Boundless Endurance and Unstoppable - they perfectly fit steamborgs, so I'm just going to steal those two.  Heck, both fighters and swordmages get Luring Strike.  The powers are identical but for the power source.  So I'll save myself some trouble.

And now I've got heroic tier finished:

One extra 2nd level utility:

A Tool for Every Job level 2 utility
Encounter * Steam
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Choose a skill.  Gain a +2 power bonus to checks using that skill until the end of the encounter.

6th level utilities

Iron Berserker see above

Rocket Boosters level 6 utility
Encounter * Steam
Move Action * Personal
Effect: You fly your speed.  You must land at the end of this movement or else you fall.
Gadgeteer: Fly your speed +2
Target Acquired level 6 utility
Daily * Steam
Immediate Reaction an enemy you've marked makes an attack that does not include you as a target.
Effect: Apply the attack and damage bonus from killing frenzy against this target until the end of the encounter.  You still need to trigger killing frenzy as usual to gain its benefits against other foes.

I Don't Think So level 6 utility
Encounter(?) * Steam
Immediate Interrupt a foe in melee range makes an attack.
Effect: Make a melee basic attack against the triggering opponent.  On a hit, do not deal damage.  Instead, the triggering attack misses.
Strongarm: If you hit, the target grants combat advantage for your next attack and you deal extra damage equal to your Str modifier.

7th level encounter powers

Unbalancing Smash level 7 attack
Hit: 2[W]+Con damage and the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Heavy Blow level 7 attack
Hit: 3[W]+Con damage and the target is dazed until the end of my next turn.

Quick Strike level 7 attack
Minor Action * Melee weapon
Hit: 1[W]+Con damage

Flying Charge level 7 attack
Effect: fly your speed and then make the following attack:
Attack: Con+1 vs AC
Hit: 1[W]+Con damage and you knock the target prone.
Special: This attack counts as a charge.  Your turn ends after the attack is resolved.
Gadgeteer: You may shift one square after the attack (before your turn ends).

Resourceful Strike level 7 attack
Gadgeteer: Roll your attack twice and use either result.
Hit: 2[W]+Con damage.
Special: If you're wielding a steam weapon, you may use its fueled effect for free.

9th level dailies

Human Missile
You grab a foe and throw him at your enemies.  This is fun.  xD
Daily * Reliable, Steam, Weapon
Primary Target: One creature
Hit: 3[W]+Con damage and push the target a number a squares equal to your Str modifier and knock it prone.  Then make a secondary attack:
Secondary Attack: Con vs Ref
Secondary Target: All enemies adjacent to the primary target after the push.
Hit: 1d6+Con damage and you knock the target prone.

Defensive Flares
Daily * Fire, Implement, Radiant, Steam
Immediate Interrupt you're attacked Close burst 1
Target: all creatures in burst
Hit: 1d10+Con fire and radiant damage and the target is blinded (save ends).
Miss: half damage and the target is blinded until the end of your next turn.

Automated Shouldergun
Daily * Steam
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain the following attack as a minor action, usable once per round.  This attack has the weapon keyword
Ranged 10
Attack: Con+3 vs AC
Hit: 1d6+Con damage
Special: This attack counts as a weapon, so a magic schema can confer its benefits to this weapon.
Gadgeteer: If an ally grants you a free ranged basic attack, you can use this power, even if you've already used the once per round limit.

Don't Get Up
Daily * Steam, Weapon
Opportunity Action an enemy stands up from prone Melee weapon
Hit: 1[W]+Con damage and the target is knocked prone and dazed (save ends).
Miss: half damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, your basic attacks knock the target prone on a hit.

Steam Veil
You let loose a blast of steam before charging through.  The distraction shields your movement.
Daily * Implement, Fire, Steam
Standard Action * Close blast 3
Target: all creatures in blast
Hit: 3d6+Con fire damage
Effect: You make a charge attack as a free action without provoking opportunity attacks.

Bend Weapon - see above

Magnetic Pulse
Daily * Implement, Steam
Standard Action * Close burst 3
Primary Target: all creatures in burst
Primary Attack: Con vs Fort
Hit: pull the target adjacent to you.  If the target cannot be pulled adjacent, pull it as close as possible and deal 1d6 damage for every square it couldn't move.
Effect: Make a secondary attack that is close burst 1.  This attack has the weapon keyword.
Secondary Target: all enemies in burst
Secondary Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: 3[W]+Con damage

10th level utilities

Unbreakable Ally - see above

Smokescreen
Encounter * Steam, Zone
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Your square and all adjacent squares become a zone that is heavily obscured until the end of your next turn.  You can see normally in this zone.

Heat of the Furnace
Daily * Fire, Steam
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Gain an aura 1 of intense heat.  Creatures that start their turns in the aura take 1d6 fire damage and take a -2 penalty to damage rolls until the end of their next turn.

Doctored Fuel: healing potion
It's not good for the system, but in a pinch you can add a healing potion in place of water to your boiler.  Better to spend hours cleaning out gunk than eternity in a grave.
Daily * Healing, Steam
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain regeneration 2 and an aura 1.  Creatures in the aura (including yourself) can use their second wind as a minor action.

Targeting
Daily * Steam
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls for attacks that have only 1 target.  (If a power has primary and secondary attacks, only one of which meets this requirement, apply it to the primary/secondary attack that does have only one target)

And I've got "magic" schema on the way.  The majority aren't magic, just more advanced technology.  But there are exceptions.
I've updated a couple of the steam weapons, and now have some sample magic schema.  I list the lowest level the schema are available at along with the enhancement bonus.  Assume that a 5-level higher version grants an additional +1 bonus

Advanced Schema +1 level 1
The notes scattered in this worn notebook detail all sorts of advanced mechanisms and other wonders of engineering.
Critical: +1d6 per plus

Schema of Retractable Blade +1 level 2
A series of diagrams detail how to make even the largest of blades fold up and deploy in an instant.  There are also hints on devious ways to employ this tactic.
Property: You may draw a weapon modified by this schema as a free action and gain combat advantage for your next attack.  Storing a weapon in the middle of combat to draw it again does not give you combat advantage.
Power (Daily): Minor action.  Gain combat advantage for your next attack.  If you use this power in conjunction with a weapon attack, the weapon becomes brutal 1 for the attack.

Schema of Master Tools +1 level 3
This schema details various specialized tools, some of them curiously specific.  (Why would anyone ever need a tool that tells them when their shoelaces have been tied together?)  Even the more mundane instruments are modified in grand ways.
Power (Daily): Reroll a missed implement attack using this schema and add your intelligence modifier to the reroll.  You must use the new result.

Schema of Easy Repair +1 level 4
This battered set of notes appears to have met with almost every disaster possible.  If still legible, it focuses on repair and durability.
Critical: +1d6 per plus, and you regain hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier.  (Note: this remains Int mod in higher level versions, not Int mod per plus)
Property: Add this schema's enhancement bonus as an item bonus to your healing surge value.

Schema of Electric Mayhem +1 level 4
A mad alchemist's book details the superiority of electrical power over steam.  Yeah, right...
Critical: +1d6 lightning damage per plus
Power (At-Will): Free action.  Change all damage from this implement or weapons modified by this schema to lightning damage.  Another free action returns damage to normal.
Power (Daily): Free action.  Use this power when you hit with an attack modified by this schema.  Deal an extra 1d8 lightning damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).

Schema of Concussive Force +1 level 5
This treatise on physics includes notes how certain trajectories can make a fist mimic the strength of a trebuchet.
Critical: +1d6 force damage per plus and the target is knocked prone.
Property: Deal and extra 1d6 force damage with attacks that push or knock prone.

Schema of the Necrotic Engine +2 level 7
A grimoire of a more modern necromancer, this books speaks of how to use the power of undeath to make a steam engine operate in reverse.  Additional diagrams detail how to modify devices to be powered by suction rather than expansion.
Critical: +1d4 necroitc damage per plus
Property: gain resist 5 necrotic
Power (at-will): Free action.  Change all damage to necrotic damage.  Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power (Daily): Free action.  Use this power when you hit with an attack.  Deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage and regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Schema of the Blood Engine +2 level 8
This foul tome details how to convert a steam engine to use blood in place of water.  Although collecting supplies is a gruesome task, it does render you unlikely to ever bleed out.
Critical: ongoing 3 damage per plus (save ends).
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to saves against untyped ongoing damage and to death saving throws.

Schema of Razor Edges +3 level 11
This schema details methods to render blades sharper than ever before conceived.
Critical: +1d8 per plus
Property: weapons modified by this schema can score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

FEATS

Dragonfire Engine
Prereqs: dragonborn, steamborg
Benefit: You can trade in a 2nd level or higher utility power for the dragonfire engine feat power.

Dragonfire Engine * level 2 feat power
You rig your engine up to your draconis fundamentum, lending raw elemental might to your steam power.
Daily * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Poison; Steam
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, your steamborg attacks deal an extra 2 damage and all damage is of the same type as your dragonbreath racial power in addition to any other damage types it would normally be.  As a minor action, you may expend your dragonbreath racial power to instead deal an additional 1d6 damage with a single attack.

Who You Calling Tiny?
Prereqs: steamborg, small size, Str 17+
Benefit: You ignore the restrictions of small size with regards to weapons you can wield.

Rebounding Chatterblade
Benefit: when you miss with a chatterblade, you can use a minor action to expend fuel and make a basic attack with the chatterblade against the same target.

Steam Hammer Jet
Benefit: When you use a steam hammer's fueled effect, deal fire damage equal to your intelligence modifier to the target or an adjacent enemy.

Brutal Assault
Prereqs: half-orc, steamborg
Benefit: If you use furious assault while in a killing frenzy, you may reroll all 1s for damage until you all damage rolls are 2 or higher.

Galvanized Resolve
Prereqs: steamborg
Benefit: When you enter a killing frenzy, gain temporary hit points equal to your Con mod.

Reliable Enhancements
Prereqs: steamborg
Benefit: If you use your gadgeteer reroll for a steamborg implement power, add your Int mod as a feat bonus to the reroll.

And that's it for now, but that's basically heroic tier.
Sign In to post comments