New To Minis - Purchasing Advice

Hello. I have been lurking here the past few days and have been listening to the Miniverse Podcast. (I really enjoy that.)

I love Star Wars and have been playing the Star Wars Galaxies MMO for 6 years. My interest in stats plus collecting things led me to minis.

On to my question...I am one of those people that wants to have *everything* when I collect. Thus, what's the best plan of attack to acquire sets? Should I just buy a complete set on ebay? I don't know the products inside and out, so I don't know if I'll be missing maps or books or whatnot. Do those come with the starter set?

I know it's going to be expensive which is why I'll be liquidating other collections to do this. I just want to get all the minis with books, boxes etc., and I guessed those here with experience would have a good and fiscally efficient way to do that.

Thanks!

I'd guess the most cost effective way to start out is to look for people selling off their collection and make them an offer they can't refuse...

But that sort of depends on how patient you are. For the current 40 piece sets, cases are actually pretty efficient. You buy 1 case, and fill in the 4VR you're missing with singles purchases (or trades once you start acquiring a stock of duplicates.)

For older sets, complete sets tended to be a bit more popular but either that or boosters are likely to run you a significant premium over picking up a collection or two from people who have been in the game since the beginning and choosing to get out now.

I'd guess the most cost effective way to start out is to look for people selling off their collection and make them an offer they can't refuse...

But that sort of depends on how patient you are. For the current 40 piece sets, cases are actually pretty efficient. You buy 1 case, and fill in the 4VR you're missing with singles purchases (or trades once you start acquiring a stock of duplicates.)

For older sets, complete sets tended to be a bit more popular but either that or boosters are likely to run you a significant premium over picking up a collection or two from people who have been in the game since the beginning and choosing to get out now.

Thanks for the reply. Is a case like a huge case of boosters? Would I need to buy the map/book or whatever separately? I've seen some "Complete" sets on ebay which seemed cool, just wasn't sure what is standard in a set besides the minis and stat cards.

A case is 12 boosters (except for huge sets, where a case is 6 boosters).

Maps come in various scenario packs, starters, map packs, and some were given out for various promotions and thus would be purchased separately from the boosters.

IMAGE(http://www.lusogamer.com/live/green/gamercard_gamerbar/EmporerDragon.png)

Buy one or more cases, depending on how large of a collection you want would depend on how many cases you would want.  This last set I ordered 3 cases, this gave me all the C & UC I wanted, some extra R's for trading and enough VR's to trade for everything I still needed with a couple of VR's to spare for other trades!

A case is 12 boosters (except for huge sets, where a case is 6 boosters).

Maps come in various scenario packs, starters, map packs, and some were given out for various promotions and thus would be purchased separately from the boosters.

Lots to learn, thanks.

Buy one or more cases, depending on how large of a collection you want would depend on how many cases you would want.  This last set I ordered 3 cases, this gave me all the C & UC I wanted, some extra R's for trading and enough VR's to trade for everything I still needed with a couple of VR's to spare for other trades!

Thanks. Where would be the best place to buy a case?

Any of the online stores are good for SWM, cases or boosters.  While I buy my cases from a local shop I've made many purchases from www.miniaturemarket.com a very good company.

And welcome to SWM, it's a fun game, and the main game I play when I'm not playing Star Wars Galaxies.

Any of the online stores are good for SWM, cases or boosters.  While I buy my cases from a local shop I've made many purchases from www.miniaturemarket.com a very good company.

And welcome to SWM, it's a fun game, and the main game I play when I'm not playing Star Wars Galaxies.

Thanks for the link. That site looks awesome.

And cool that you play SWG. I was on Tarquinas and moved to Starsider.

On to my question...I am one of those people that wants to have *everything* when I collect. Thus, what's the best plan of attack to acquire sets? Should I just buy a complete set on ebay? I don't know the products inside and out, so I don't know if I'll be missing maps or books or whatnot. Do those come with the starter set?

A few weeks before the release date of a new set, I go to the Auggie's site and preorder a complete set.  Bang.  Done.  Good price.

When I had many trading partners I would buy two cases or so, then trade for the things I wanted, and supplement with a few singles purchases.  Cases can be a good way to get started on a set, but if you get multiple cases, make sure you have people you can trade with as you will need to get rid of duplicates. 

Sign In to post comments