multiclassing druid

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

If I take the Shaman multiclass feat: Spirit Talker, is there any way I can add Shaman at will powers that will help my spirit companion, like Wrath of Winter ?

I take it you are a Druid who is multiclassing into Shaman.

The only way to gain an at-will from your multiclass class is the paragon multiclass (take a class specific multiclass feat and then take the three power swap multiclass feats and then pick Paragon multiclassing at level 11 instead of taking a paragon path.)  It's all in the PHB.

Or a 1/2 elf Dilletant. Of course that is only an encounter usage but it is an option.

Not a great option as the 1/2 elf stats are not great for druid or shaman but it is a lot of conceptual nature magic coolness.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

...of course, you can also hybrid, though that's often a bad idea.

Or a 1/2 elf Dilletant. Of course that is only an encounter usage but it is an option.

Not a great option as the 1/2 elf stats are not great for druid or shaman but it is a lot of conceptual nature magic coolness.

There's a feat to make your illetante power an at-will at Paragon.  but those are your options: paragon multiclass, hybrid shaman or be a half-elf.

...of course, you can also hybrid, though that's often a bad idea.

actually a druid/shaman hybrid works okay. they both use WIS and both can benefit from CON. i play a druid/shaman that focuses on beast form, so the shamanistic powers do kinda get the shaft.

however, if you take the caster spin, you can make use of both shaman and druid skills quite readily. the spirit guide can be helpful in battle either by taking skills that are melee spirit or simply assisting allies. this contributes to the druid controlling powers reasonably.

as both are classes that have modest damage, you probably won't find yourself favoring the high damage output of striker powers. the caster style would give the chance to buff allies and debuff opponents--highly versatile.

a beast form theme could work similar to a beastmaster ranger, sometimes you attack in beast form, and sometimes your spirit guide attacks when in humanoid form. the beast form is slightly strikerish, but not too much. thus the comparison to melee spirit powers doesn't cause too much favoritism.

Edit: i play a Dborn druid/shaman and the Dborn is not great for assisting the key abilities of either class. but it is fun that way.

On a tangent:
If I create a hybrid beastmaster ranger/druid and multiclass shaman and then - somehow - get an Arcane Familiar feat, can I be my own pack?

Probably not a functional PC (although it ought to be a fun NPC ally to pop on a group).

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

I have this amusing Crazy Cat Lady build that currently uses MC druid for the wild shape. I'm thinking maybe it should instead MC shaman (for the spirit companion) and hybrid druid (swarm druid, lots of summoning). Along with hybrid ranger (for the animal companion) and MC sorcerer (for the familiar)

On the other hand, the Crazy Cat Lady is not intended to be a serious build.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Crazy Cat lady at level 10.  Of course, this is an elven Crazy Cat lady ... YMMV...

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 10
Elf, Ranger|Druid
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Druid: Hybrid Druid Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Soul of Sorcery: Soul of Sorcery Cold
Beast Companion Type: Cat
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 19, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 19 Fort: 19 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 69 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +16, Insight +14, Perception +16, Heal +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +4, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +5, History +4, Intimidate +6, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +6, Thievery +5, Athletics +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Spirit Talker
Level 4: Sudden Call
Level 6: Soul of Sorcery
Level 8: Arcane Familiar
Level 10: Mending Spirit

POWERS
Hybrid Druid at-will 1: Swarming Locusts
Hybrid Ranger at-will 1: Shield of Blades
Spirit Talker: Spirit's Shield
Hybrid encounter 1: Call Forth the Spirit Pack
Hybrid daily 1: Summon Pack Wolf
Hybrid utility 2: Pack Alertness
Hybrid encounter 3: Beast Latch
Hybrid daily 5: Bloodied Frenzy
Hybrid utility 6: Swarm Dispersal
Hybrid encounter 7: Beast Rush
Hybrid daily 9: Menacing Cry
Hybrid utility 10: Animal Shapes

ITEMS
Sickle (2), Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Off the cuff, she seems somewhat effective in battle.  I think she might have the hardest time surviving levels 1-4 but once she gets to level 5, she really starts to look viable.  I was tempted on the best way to take the Sorcerer MC feat, but I decided on Soul of Sorcerery since I could easily get above 13 STR and I just needed to beef up CHA to 13 to match.  She won't be power swapping, so there's no need to go any higher than 13.  This way, she gets Resist 5 cold (Crazy Cat ladies always seem impervious to cold whenever I've visited their house....)

Anyway, let me know what you think. 

Oh yeah, her Beast Companion is Skittles, the Dire Puma.

On a tangent:
If I create a hybrid beastmaster ranger/druid and multiclass shaman and then - somehow - get an Arcane Familiar feat, can I be my own pack?

Probably not a functional PC (although it ought to be a fun NPC ally to pop on a group).

Windrise Ports background? That gives you 2 MC feats.

Being your own Pack sounds like fun Smile
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.