Day of judgment vs indestrucible permanets

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

ALCON,

Okay let's say that I have a Darksteel Colossus or a creature equipped with indestructibility or creatures with eldrazi monument in play.  Do they survive a Day of Judgement and if not why?  the rules say:  If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it. (See rule 701.6, "Destroy.")  Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based action (see rule 704.5g). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or exiled. 

Let's step through this:

Day of Judgement says "Destroy all creatures"
Indestructible means "If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it."

DoJ is trying to do something that can't be done to whatever it's trying to do it to.

Do they survive a Day of Judgement and if not why? 

They survive a Day of Judgement.
Advanced Level TO

If you cast Planar Clensing instead then in the Eldrazi Monument situation Eldrazi Monument would be destroyed, but at the moment the effect of Planar Cleasing is applied, Eldrazi Monument is still on the battlefield, so the your creatures aren't destroyed. They will lose indestructible when state-based actions are processed (due to Eldrazi Monument leaving the battlefield). But the destroy effect has already been applied by then.

If you cast Planar Clensing instead then in the Eldrazi Monument situation Eldrazi Monument would be destroyed, but at the moment the effect of Planar Cleasing is applied, Eldrazi Monument is still on the battlefield, so the your creatures aren't destroyed. They will lose indestructible when state-based actions are processed (due to Eldrazi Monument leaving the battlefield). But the destroy effect has already been applied by then.

While the conclusion you reach here is correct, the terminology used isn't entirely accurate--state-based actions have nothing to do with this. The permanents stop being indestructible (they can't "lose indestructible" because being indestructible is not an ability) when the Monument leaves play because the Monument's static ability will cease to function and therefore the continuous effect it created simply disappears. State-based effects don't enter into it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

While the conclusion you reach here is correct, the terminology used isn't entirely accurate--state-based actions have nothing to do with this. The permanents stop being indestructible (they can't "lose indestructible" because being indestructible is not an ability) when the Monument leaves play because the Monument's static ability will cease to function and therefore the continuous effect it created simply disappears. State-based effects don't enter into it.

I was refering to the state-based action that causes Eldrazi Monument to leave the battlefield (specifically, to be put into its owner's graveyard, barring any other effects.)

(and its leaves the battlefield, not leaves play [/nitpick])

I was refering to the state-based action that causes Eldrazi Monument to leave the battlefield (specifically, to be put into its owner's graveyard, barring any other effects.)

And which state-based action is that?

And which state-based action is that?

Whoops, good point...so nvm the part about state-based actions...