Vanguard: How to Unbreak

So at this point, I'm thinking the biggest reason why Vanguard is no longer a supported format is simply that it's completely devoid of balance.  I am one of the noticeable segment of players who plays to enjoy the game, rather than to win at any cost, but since Wizards seems to believe (whether or not accurately) that their playerbase consists mostly of Spikes who want a competitive environment, Vanguard is basically unsalvageable; there is simply no way that Wizards can avoid enabling utterly broken decks in Vanguard, leading competitive players to think that the format is completely random and pointless.  (The most current example of this would be the way that Turntimber Ranger in a Seshiro deck set to Allies is a near-instant win - this can happen on turn 3 with enough mana elves, and the only real defenses are Wrath and Stronghold Discipline.)

So I put it to the community: is Vanguard really impossible to "unbreak"?  Is there any round of bannings, rules adjustments, and the like that can possibly restore balance, or will some avatar-deck combinations always be near-guaranteed wins which offer no possibility of a fair fight?

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
When I was at GP: Minneapolis this weekend I talked with Ken Nagle.
I asked why they got rid of making new Vanguard.
He said unfortunetly the amount of effort it takes to Design, playtest, balance, and program Vanguard was not worth it for the small section of the community that actually used them.
He seemed disappointed and said he hoped or thought it was possible it might come back some day and if they did they would likly "retro-activily" vanguard the Avatars that are currently blank.
I live in Minneapolis.  If I'd known Nagle was there I'd have tried harder to swing by the Convention Center (I wasn't going to pay to get in, but if the area was open I would have swung through in search of vendors or something.)  If I had found Nagle I would have probably offered him 1d6 each of effusive handshakes and spiteful punches in the arms.  I thought he was the best thing ever to happen to Magic up until I found out that he's a notorious griefer who likes to put useless cards in Magic sets as a gag; that makes him my archenemy, though still also my friend (like Superman and Lex Luthor - both believe in the good of humanity, they just have different reasons for thinking each other don't qualify as human).

Anyway, I hope Nagle knows that there are people out there who actually bought those avatars (or at least people who sell them, so I'd assume someone's buying, if only out of compulsiveness), and heck yeah they'd like to have more than a pretty picture.  Also, I have posted designs for all four vanguards in my VanguardPlay group; they're probably not even remotely balanced as yet, but they're a start anyway.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi