How Often Do You Play?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

I came back to RPGA play (LFR) after a 5 year hiatus.

I actually stopped playing in July 2003 due to a career change.....my last game was Living Greyhawk ;)

Since I started LFR in August I play around twice a month...the games I can get to are around an hour from me.

My question is: How often do you play LFR?

I play once a week usually. There's a group I found on meetupdotcom that is in the New York area.

From 0 to 3 times a week, on average 4 times a month or so.

Blah blah blah

While I probably run LFR games about 1 every two to three weeks (counting sessions), I suspect my average is a lot higher. I mean, one convention and I immediately run 4 to 8 adventures in four days. I have a big con about four to six times per year. So if you count adventures it is probably closer to 1 per week.

While I probably run LFR games about 1 every two to three weeks (counting sessions), I suspect my average is a lot higher. I mean, one convention and I immediately run 4 to 8 adventures in four days. I have a big con about four to six times per year. So if you count adventures it is probably closer to 1 per week.

If I look at it as adventures run I curl up in a ball and hide.  Too many to count =P Those cons add up fast.  

Blah blah blah

The group I run meets every two weeks. I run some spot games outside that cycle too... maybe three times a month on average? I'd like it to be weekly.

Every Monday, every Friday, twice on alternate Saturdays.

Plus the cons. 

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

I have a group which gets together every 6-8 weeks for 3 or 4 (usually 3) modules over the course of the weekend.

I'm also in a loose-knit local group which gets together every other week for a single module, but I probably only get to play in one of those every couple of months.

Then, there's three or four cons per year, at which I might play 3 to 5 LFR modules.

"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

I estimate twice a month (averaged for Conventions I go to).

Ironically, I may be the one spending the most actual time on LFR in my region, not counting Pieter.

Gomez

I play 1/month at a 2 slot game day.  I usually get to head to Origins and Gencon for a day, two if I'm really lucky.

In other words, not enough.

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

I try and make any local (1.5 hours away) gamedays/cons when I can and maybe one or two of the big cons during the year.  This averages about 3 games a month.  

Living so far away from an RPGA group is crimping my gaming!

1 group is once a month (2 mods) and another group is twice a month (another 2 mods), so typically 6 mods a month - some playing, some judging.  Con season screws with the averages.

I get to play (or run) fortnightly, with an occasional extra game of LFR in there from time to time. But the local group runs weekly, so if I wasn't doing other gaming I could play more often.

We usually have a weekly ftf group that runs a mod and I usually get 1-3 extra mods in a month via online. Rarely go to conventions, so it ends up being about 5 a month(as I run for my ftf group every 4th week or so)

Once or twice a week, probably six times a month on average.

Counting online play, real table play, and conventions, I likely average 1.5 games played a week. I probably DM a mod every other week, on average.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I play LFR twice a week. Conventions haven't really been much of a factor as I have only been to a couple and when there I have played other games (Shadowrun, etc.).

I used to play every Monday, and the occasional Thursday or Saturday. I would say about 6 modules a month.

Since Gen Con, I've judged once and played three times, so about 1.5 modules a month. I likely will not be able to play any more than that for the next few years or so (business school and a full-time job will do that to a gamer).

Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com

What is this "play" you speak of?  :-)

Ok just for that I'm driving all the way up there and uh... something.  I'll think of it on the way.

Blah blah blah

Ok just for that I'm driving all the way up there and uh... something.  I'll think of it on the way.

I feel oddly tranquil.

Playing or judging: Most Monday nights.  Two games most Saturdays.  The occasional Sunday game or Friday night game.  A larger convention every 1-2 months.

I haven't played a RPGA game since last Nov. No time because of work. i got a character to level 3 and that was it. I don't even have an alt like alot of people do now.

James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
I think by 200 days in  to the campaign 1 had 100 events. I have since settled into something a little more along the lines of twice a week on average. Nearly every Thursday at my local gaming store and then frequent weekend games and or conventions. That might increase a little as there is probably one good nearby convention a month over the next few months. Sadly, I hate DMing and have only run like 6 tables of LFR.

Every Sunday night, then I can sometimes slip in a game two more times a month.

Since Gen Con, I've judged once and played three times, so about 1.5 modules a month. I likely will not be able to play any more than that for the next few years or so (business school and a full-time job will do that to a gamer).

I completely quit gaming when I was in grad school, though I stayed connected (back then I was a part of the Dark Sun listerver and read/wrote a lot).

Good luck beating the withdrawal symptoms!

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Been running weekly public LFR games... sometime more than one Wink

Got 23 under my belt since May... just wish I could play more, as opposed to DMing, but it all good! Smile
At the moment I get to play twice a year due to my job.
James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
I get one opportunity a month to attend the local game day, where I usually play one slot and judge the other.

Lately I've been considering dropping judging altogether as it's such a mixed bag when you're assigned a random table.  This time around my table included two youngish players who had played the exact same module (CORM 1-3) earlier in the day and were just there to level up their alternate characters.  While I was trying to get the rest of the party through the plot and skill challenges, they took this opportunity to talk over me while comparing their Magic: the Gathering cards and making conversation on their cell phones.

Was tempted to kick the both of them out of the game but that would have screwed over the remaining three players.  When combat finally starts they whip out their optimized striker builds and wipe up the board.  They'd played the exact combats earlier and so knew exactly where to focus fire.  I called the last fight before the first round was over.

Meh.  So three hours of prep time and another three hours of play that I can never get back.

EDIT: Sorry, somehow I got off topic.  Guess I needed the rant.
I oversee once a week (means sometimes I'm playing, sometimes I'm running and usually acting as chief rules advisor and senior GM in case of questions and what not) during this semester in a classroom on campus Friday nites complete with projector, etc. Using Maptools offline for that is great because everybody in the room sees the map, whats on it, and just points out where to move and attack. On occasion (see: My Realms and Weekend in the Realms) we play old style.

Now and again I mostly run, sometimes play online through Blackstar on OpenRPG and Maptools. However I mostly cut this out once the semester started to focus on my real life f2f players.

The most in a period I have recently was Weekend in the Realms, I ran it Friday nite and played Saturday and Sunday (different characters before anybody screams).
Christopher Green RPGA# 5209379759 Aelar Tel'ess'san - Elven Cleric Lvl 4 Veloch Shade - Tiefling Rogue Lvl 4 Adaeth the Mindwalker - Deva Psion Lvl 2 The Story Tellers' Guild The Roleplaying Association of SUNY Oswego http://www.oswego.edu/stg
Alas, I'm learning what everyone else means when they talk about how life changes when you have kids.

I think in the last 9 months I've had maybe 3 play sessions (as a player OR GM).  I've got time at night to keep up with the rulebooks, but watching my dice gather dust is a sad, sad thing.

Hopefully I can amend this at DDXP. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Alas, I'm learning what everyone else means when they talk about how life changes when you have kids.

Listen, WolfStar, if you can make time for bacon, you can make time for D&D. Laughing

Listen, WolfStar, if you can make time for bacon, you can make time for D&D.

Yeah... but game session lasts 4 hours. 
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

Perhaps Alphastream's bacon sessions do too. Laughing

Perhaps Alphastream's bacon sessions do too.

Alas the Eat N' Park Midnight buffet only lasts 3 hours =(
Blah blah blah
I usually play an adventure once per week , with the sessions lasting around 4h , but with my players getting into higher levels , and the adventures getting longer, we´ll have to break the sessions in 2 and play a 3h hours each session , that way we can relax and focus on the game and not the clock.

Perhaps Alphastream's bacon sessions do too.

Heh, I'm actually very healthy in my everyday. From WolfStar's twitter, where he celebrates and researches bacon, if he spent all that bacon research time on LFR his PC would probably be paragon!

You can't blame him.  Bacon rules.  Heck, for Thanksgiving I made Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and bacon wrapped dates.  I brought a cherry pie.  If I coudl find a bacon pie recipe I would make that.

Then again, there's always:

baconarmor.jpg

I'm fortunate to live in silcon valley (northern california) where there is a high density of people and more importantly, nerdy/geek types that like to game a lot.  Also, a wife who lets me have lots of play time.

I particpate in 2-3 rounds per week, DM'ing roughly 25% of the time (or 1 DM for every 3 play).  It means I have (in LFR) PC's of level: 13, 11, 10, 8, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2.

there are weekly gamedays at public stores on four nights a week within driving distance of where I live (i only attend one of them). 

I've set up a set of private games amongst a group of 10-15 players, so we (privately) have three games per week, of which I usually play in one or two.  I've found that private play is much more enjoyable - as it means you can control the player list to people that will actually DM and are fun to play with.

I play in 3-4 local conventions a year, ranging from 30-100 unique players (typically on holiday weekends).

The vast majority of play out here is private and gameday oriented.  The nature of the LFR campaign model is we don't need to travel, and we have sufficient player base here to play all we want - the downside is it takes more local initiative (if you want to play, you need to organize it yourself I've found).

LFR has been good to me, but I typically played almost this much in 3e days, although back then most of my play was home-games (non RPGA).

The key element (IMHO) is the desire to go out there and make it happen.  If you don't organize and look for your own games, then you're beholden to whatever pops up in your area (public gamedays and conventions - which may or may not offer games you want to play when you want to play them with people you want to play with).