Jund

680 posts / 0 new
Last post

In Construction

Jund is a powerful aggressive deck that aims to overwhelm the opponent with a plethora of powerful creatures and spells on every turn.  All of their threats are either far above the curve in terms of P/T to CMC ratio or absurd card advantage machines that laugh at traditional removal.  Jund isn't simply dumb aggro, however, it employs disruptive spells that can catch an opponent by surprise from its signature mechanic, Cascade, such as Blightning or Maelstrom Pulse. 

A typical Jund game will lead with a tapland, which explains the lack of one mana spells in the deck, (not to mention there simply aren't very many in Standard to use) but playing 4/4s on turn two usually recoup the lack of a beater on turn one.

At the moment, Jund is the undisputed Best Deck in Standard and it plans to stay that way, remaining the most played deck in Tournaments all over the world.  If someone wants to win a tournament, the options are simple: play Jund, or play a deck that beats Jund (good luck with option two, there aren't many).  

As Jund hasn't missed a single top8 so far in Standard, there are dozens of decklists to choose from.  In order to not stretch out the first post, I'll post links to them:

Jack Wang's SGC 5k 1st Place list: magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=...

PT Austin's LCQ Decklists (Jund was 3 out of the top4): www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

The core of the deck is as follows: 

3  Dragonskull Summit
4  Forest
2  Mountain
4  Rootbound Crag
4  Savage Lands
4  Swamp
4  Verdant Catacombs

4 Putrid Leech
4 Blightning
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Lightning Bolt
3+ Maelstrom Pulse 
2+ Broodmate Dragon

Besides that, there is some flexibility to the list.  Some choose to run maindeck Great Sable Stags, others maindeck Terminates or Garruk Wildspeaker.  As long as you've got the cards I've listed above, though, you're in good shape to win.  

The sideboard almost always is going to contain the following:

4 Jund Charm
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
x Great Sable Stag (if not maindeck)

Again, other than that, there's flexibility.  Duress was a popular choice, Deathmark has popped up in a few lists, and Thought Hemorrhage has been seen as well. 

If you have any other questions about the deck, feel free to post in this thread and I'll answer 'em.

UPDATE: Worlds came and went, and Jund managed to take 50% of the top Standard field, more than Affinity or Faeries ever did.  With Worlds came some new technology utilized in Jund lists.  Here are a couple notable examples:

www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30043 - David Reitbauer's 2nd place list, using 2 Master of the Wild Hunt and 2 Oran Rief in the maindeck, with a fairly predictable sideboard

www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30046 - Saito's Rampant Jund list using, of course, Rampant Growth at the expense of Putrid Leech to ramp into a full set of Broodmates and some Siege-Gang Commanders. 

www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30044 - Marijn Lybaert's Jund with a Borderland Ranger main, a card that some American players were using multiples of maindeck.

So basically, post Worlds, we have Master of the Wild Hunt, Rampant Growth, Borderland Ranger, and Siege-Gang Commander as cards to try out.  Happy testing, people. 

UPDATE2: Well, another PT, another dominating performance by Jund.  Jund took first and second at PT San Diego, and here are the decklists:

PTSD lists

1st Simon Gortzen

2 Rampant Growth
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Sprouting Thrinax
3 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Putrid Leech
3 Broodmate Dragon
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Swamp
4 Savage Lands
1 Rootbound Crag
3 Mountain
2 Lavaclaw Reaches
4 Forest
3 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Blightning
4 Raging Ravine
2 Dragonskull Summit

Sideboard:

4 Great Sable Stag
4 Deathmark
1 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Master of the Wild Hunt
1 Pithing Needle
2 Terminate

2nd Kyle Boggemes

2 Terminate
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
2 Explore
4 Blightning
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Putrid Leech
2 Broodmate Dragon
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Savage Lands
2 Rootbound Crag
4 Raging Ravine
3 Mountain
3 Forest
3 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Siege-Gang Commander
3 Swamp
3 Dragonskull Summit

Sideboard:

4 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Duress
2 Deathmark
1 Bituminous Blast
2 Great Sable Stag
1 Malakir Bloodwitch
1 Mind Rot
1 Terminate
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents

Its a work in progress but so far.

VCL stamp of approval.

VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.

Awesome, thanks kedi.  Once we get sblocks that's going in the first post.

How do I beat this deck?

How do I beat this deck?

If you can contain it's aggressive draws, usually with Walls of Denial or War Monks, and then play cards that can out attrition them or wipe their hand, you have a good shot at victory.

Another path is just straight up playing way faster than they do.  Red Aggro is a tough matchup, and Boros is pretty even.

If you can contain it's aggressive draws, usually with Walls of Denial or War Monks, and then play cards that can out attrition them or wipe their hand, you have a good shot at victory.

Another path is just straight up playing way faster than they do.  Red Aggro is a tough matchup, and Boros is pretty even.

Personally I don't have issues controlling the agro, it's the Blightning/Pulse/Duress (game 2-3) "oh look I'm an angro/controll deck now" that I have issues with. Unlike a standard agro deck, Jund's ablity to generate Temo and CA at the same time is fierce.

Blightning is back in now... for a while, nobody was playing it. I need to look at some lists to update my version.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many

Blightning is back in now... for a while, nobody was playing it. I need to look at some lists to update my version.

When were people not playing Blightning? The only time it was really considered bad was before cascade when people we're trying for straight R/B agro goblins.

As for the U/W/r controll, I'm looking into that myself, I'm especally liking Swerve as it hits everything negate does but duress and Garruk.

For about 2 months, Blightning dropped out of Jund. Some people played in their SB's, but nobody MD it. 

Decks

For about 2 months, Blightning dropped out of Jund. Some people played in their SB's, but nobody MD it. 

That's bizzare, was that an online trend or what? People trying to make it so Bloodbraid always hits removal?

I think it's because it didn't have enough effect.

Decks

Because I've had a rather poor match-up against mwc, I've put 2 Rise from the Grave in my sideboard for maches against Emeria, the sky ruin. Haven't tested it yet, but the idea is to punish the mono-white player by taking Iona (after they stall and put it into the graveyard)or Baneslayer.(after a terminate, or series of burn spells)

Because I've had a rather poor match-up against mwc, I've put 2 Rise from the Grave in my sideboard for maches against Emeria, the sky ruin. Haven't tested it yet, but the idea is to punish the mono-white player by taking Iona (after they stall and put it into the graveyard)or Baneslayer.(after a terminate, or series of burn spells)

Interesting concept, I'd rather just stick with the more versatile Ruinblaster though.  Unless you're dedicating even more SB slots to it.

Ruinblaster... And odd choice. The only non-basics that are  regularly played are fetches, tri-lands and m10 lands. The fetches are pointless, as you can sack it in response. The tri-lands aren't played that much, but give the most set back. The m10 lands generally come into the battlefield untapped, so you might as well be destroying a basic.  

Decks

Ruinblaster... And odd choice. The only non-basics that are  regularly played are fetches, tri-lands and m10 lands. The fetches are pointless, as you can sack it in response. The tri-lands aren't played that much, but give the most set back. The m10 lands generally come into the battlefield untapped, so you might as well be destroying a basic.  

I hope you're not actually this dumb in real life.

That's why it goes into the board, Sky Ruin, once active is a card advantage machine, and so is Valakut, but Jund should be able to handle any deck baised around Valakut, even with it online.

I refute your saying about me being dumb; I didn't realize that Valakut was a viable land to play. I have not seen a lot of the new Standard decklists, so I also did not know about mono-white control with the Sky Ruin. 

Decks

I refute your saying about me being dumb; I didn't realize that Valakut was a viable land to play. I have not seen a lot of the new Standard decklists, so I also did not know about mono-white control with the Sky Ruin. 

Ruinblaster is good in the mirror, good vs. all the control decks, and good vs. any of the decks centered around Emeria.

Ruinblaster is good in the mirror, good vs. all the control decks, and good vs. any of the decks centered around Emeria.

This is what I was after. It also happens to be amazing vs Valakut.dec and Emeria.dec

It would be better against Valakut if it weren't for the fact everythnig else in your deck works wonders on it. Seriously it crumples up and dies to Jund.

Unless we're talking about sliping it in as a one off in RDW, but then it never goes online so, what's the point.

It would be better against Valakut if it weren't for the fact everythnig else in your deck works wonders on it. Seriously it crumples up and dies to Jund.

Unless we're talking about sliping it in as a one off in RDW, but then it never goes online so, what's the point.

The valakut deck is so, so bad.

It's not even worth mentioning.

Why is Ruinblaster good in the mirror? Can you win a Jund mirror with speed alone? I would have expected that the mirror goes on for a while and is won by card advantage. Even being the first to get out a Broodmate is not necessarily going to win right?

The valakut deck is so, so bad.

It's not even worth mentioning.

^^^

like why is it even a rare? it would be a lot better if every time a mountain entered the field it would deal 3 damage to target player or creature as long as you had 5 or more mountains.

though i guess that turns it into a ob kinda

but yea that card is crap lol

OHHH i must have miss read it lol.... i still don't like it that much since you need 6 turns for it to start to work and by that time if your playing just R you should already be close to winning or losing lol

Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.

Why is Ruinblaster good in the mirror? Can you win a Jund mirror with speed alone? I would have expected that the mirror goes on for a while and is won by card advantage. Even being the first to get out a Broodmate is not necessarily going to win right?

It's not about slowing them down, it's about screwing their mana.  Jund has a pretty shaky manabase in that it usually relies on a single land to provide up to two colors that they need.  If you can pop it, they can be in trouble.

Krevvy: That is exactly what the card does.

How would a Naya Aggro deck featuring Baneslayer and Lotus Cobra with an assortment of other good creatures fare against a Jund deck?  (sorry, haven't been playing a lot of standard lately)

How would a Naya Aggro deck featuring Baneslayer and Lotus Cobra with an assortment of other good creatures fare against a Jund deck?  (sorry, haven't been playing a lot of standard lately)

I'd cut the Cobra but anything with a high density of threats from turn two on can be pretty decent against Jund.  Faster is better in this situation.

Really? That sounds just like Naya Lotus Angel, a pretty good deck, although I'm not sure what happens when it verses Jund.

I just bought a playset of Lotus Cobra, and I'm having a ton of trouble finding use for them...

Decks

I'd cut the Cobra but anything with a high density of threats from turn two on can be pretty decent against Jund.  Faster is better in this situation.

This is good news for my wallet.  What would you run instead?

Really? That sounds just like Naya Lotus Angel, a pretty good deck, although I'm not sure what happens when it verses Jund.

I just bought a playset of Lotus Cobra, and I'm having a ton of trouble finding use for them...

I think you did that backwards. There are so many good 2 drops in the enviroment it's kidna hard to justify Cobra, if you want early game ramp Birds is still better on account of turn 1, and if it's a late draw it's a land, not a bear. If you have no issue getting red out Hierach is even better.

I wouldn't look into cobra unless you had something dead solid going on.

so, I know this is the jund thread.  but seeing as this is something i want to use AGAINST jund, I think I can post it here. 

Lands 24
Jungle Shrine 3
Arid Mesa 3
Misty Rainforest 2
Rootbound Crag 3
Sunpetal Grove 3
Forest 5
Plains 2
Mountain 3

Creatures 24
Baneslayer Angel 4
Birds of Paradise 4
Bloodbraid Elf 4
Woolly Thoctar 4
Knight of the Reliquary 4
Noble Hierarch 2
Enlisted Wurm 2

Other Spells 12
Lightning Bolt 4
Path to Exile 4
Burst Lightning 4

Would something like that be good enough to take on the best (arguably) deck in standard?

Another sideboard card worth mentioning is Mind Rot.  It fights for SB space with Duress but allows the ability to play more than 4 discard two spells post board.

Current decks: Type II: B/R Vampires Extended: Modern: U/G Scapeshift 1.5: Ichorid, Elf Combo

so what are your thoughts on Garruk, Wild Speaker. He seems so clunky in this deck. Ultimatley, you want to go, savage lands, putrid leach, sprouting thrinax, bb elf, bit blast, broodmate dragon. WIN! I mean he doesn't seem horrible, but I belive jund should be more spell oriented I guess. I was also thinking 2 broodmates seem the perfect number. 3 seems to clunky, I would shoot myself If I drew more than 1 opening hand ha ha.

Turn 4 Garruk, Turn 5 Broodmate Dragon (1 turn can matter) also overrun can win you games as well as making a 3/3 for chump block

he also can fix your land if say you only can produce 1 back but the same land is only your 1 red source so you can untap it and add the red as well

though i would only run 2 of him

Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.

maybe I am missing something but how do you play broodmate turn 5? Also should I run 2 or 3 broodmates, 2 seem like a good # but most list run 3

Just curious but why do some Jund decks run Resounding Thunder in the board? What decks would you side that in against and why? I would like someone please to enlighten me about this.

Bloodmate cost 6 to cast so 6 lands or 4 lands and garrul to untap 2 lands and retap them so really turn 4 but u need turn 4 to play garruk

I only run 2 Broodmates, as I still occasionally draw them both in the same hand. It really sucks when that happens. I still like Jund Charm MD over Blightning, but that's a really uncommon choice. I probably will switch them soon. 

Decks

Resounding Thunder is pretty bad, I wouldn't play it.  It's like a Banefire that you can cascade into without killing yourself.

Blightning is basically the best card in this deck besides BBE.

Don't ever play less than four.

Depends on your meta.  If control is rampant you want Blightning but if your worry is aggro you want Jund Charm.

Losing your Putrid Leech is a big deal, having Jund Charm to throw 2 +1/+1 counters on it in response to a Burst Lightning is huuuuuuge.

Throwing two +1/+1 counters on a Vampire Nighthawk?  NUTZ.

It also shores up your fight against Boros Aggro and anything relying on the Graveyard (Crypt Control).

So yeah...my vote is for Jund Charm, but if you're facing down Control Blightning is the way to go.

Blightning is clearly better.

Not even close.

Jund Charm is a good SB card for boros/RDW, but that's it.

Throwing two +1/+1 counters on a Vampire Nighthawk?  NUTZ.

Nighthawk's now a Jund card?

Decks