10/28/2009 StF: "The Season for Costumes"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

Vampires' gear image which was misplaced in the article.

This was a fun article. Liked it a lot.

I always thought of it as the same spirit, everytime you turn your back or let your guard down in a new area it pops back up to haunt you. The key is that it is haunting YOU, not the land itself so no matter where you go, there it is again.

Please, PLEASE go into detail about fighting with hooks.

Videos, descriptions, more pics!:-)

Wasn't Bloodghast's flavor already explained on this site?

Oh well, at least the article was entertaining.

Nice article.  I don't feel the duality of decaying aristocracy and warrior tribe from a lot of the vampire art.  It comes across nicely on Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghat, but much of the other art like Vampire Hexmage or Guul Draz Vampire just comes across as purely decaying aristocracy or warrior tribe without any intermingling.

Also, regarding the Bloodghast question -- I remained baffled by Doug's tendency to choose to respond to questions for which his answer is basically "I don't know -- just make up something that kind of works and remember this is really just a game."

bloodghast is one of the landfall creatures that simply makes no sense, and any answer to the question is going to be a stretch. if you have to make up flavor that exists nowhere on the card to answer why landfall is part of the card, then that's not great flavor. while i understand not every card has to be a vorthos dream and designers and developers will want to explore the mechanics unhindered by flavor concerns to fully realize those mechanics, it does detract from the "land set" if a fair amount of the lands-matter cards don't make any sense. eternity vessel (you gain life by travelling away from it?), hedron scrabbler, lotus cobra, ob nixilis, shoal serpent, and windrider eel honestly don't make much flavor sense to me. that doesn't mean i dislike those cards, but it is sort of irritating that so many of them don't actually have flavor justification for landfall. cards like hedron crab and emeria angel don't make any sense either until you get an official explanation for them (which admittedly is pretty neat, while containing information present nowhere on the card). if i've missed explanations for any of the cards i listed, i would appreciate someone pointing them out. Smile

The one exception is the Mul Daya nation, whose ghost-white facepaint, skull-like eyesockets, full-body tattooing, and fiery red-dyed hair make them stand out like ghouls of the forest.

Not to mention also being nekkid as a jaybird, if the art of that red-headed fellow is anything to go by.

Noted! A little interaction with the Plant subtype would indeed have been pretty adorable.

So, when you say something like this, are you just agreeing in the abstract, or is this the kind of thing that you actually file away for use someday?

As for the Bloodghast/landfall issue, first of all it's a rare, so there's your first excuse for having an extra ability. Second, I would go back to the basic idea of manabonds, and how it's the PW's connection to the lands that allow them to draw energy from them; vampires are already known for being "energy" stealers, so I wouldn't call it a stretch to say that certain kinds would be able to learn some interesting tricks over the years.

Another great article of very interesting background material. I could read these every Wednesday if you keep making them.

Edit to add: Will somebody please tell me how to type the quote codes on this new software?

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

eternity vessel (you gain life by travelling away from it?), hedron scrabbler, lotus cobra, ob nixilis, shoal serpent, and windrider eel honestly don't make much flavor sense to me.

I always thought of Eternity Vessel like this:

You found the artifact (casting it), and you took its waters with you as you explore.  When you're in trouble (low on life), you drink the water, and it returns you to the location of the vessel, in the state that you got the water in originally.  I'm not sure about the others, but I though I'd supply that thought.

I always thought of Eternity Vessel like this:

You found the artifact (casting it), and you took its waters with you as you explore.  When you're in trouble (low on life), you drink the water, and it returns you to the location of the vessel, in the state that you got the water in originally.  I'm not sure about the others, but I though I'd supply that thought.

you know what? i'm going to take back what i said. yes, these don't make sense given only the information on the card. but by being vague, it allows people to come up with stuff like this, which is better than just being told what is happening. i appreciate that.

Glad to see my question sparked some discussion. I just really like bloodghast and was interested in Beyer's take on it.