10/27/2009 LI: "Making Your Own Way"

43 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

A quick look seems that a white and black deck is the easiest to go with, and the other colors don't seem to have anything that demands something to be splashed. There's even the W/B fetch to help the main color too.

I'd definitely take all three equipment main deck though.

This pool makes me sad.  I'd hope to never open anything like this.

There's not nearly enough in any color to make a controlling deck in any way, shape, or form.  We're all in on aggro.  The equipment is great, but offensive removal and good early drops are sorely lacking.  The best creature lineup to compliment the equipment sits in white and black:

2 Adventuring Gear
1 Trusty Machete

1 Guul Draz Vampire
1 Kor Duelist
2 Steppe Lynx

1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Bloodghast
1 Kor Outfitter
1 Kor Aeronaut

1 Giant Scorpion
1 Kor Sanctifiers

1 Heartstabber Mosquito
1 Nimana Sell-Sword
1 Kor Cartographer
2 Crypt Ripper

1 Felidar Sovereign

1 Marsh Casualties
1 Disfigure
1 Pitfall Trap

1 Marsh Flats
9 Swamp
8 Plains

This is sorted by mana cost for clarity.  Nimana Sell-Sword and Bala Ged Thief are both fine cards, but as you can see from here, the 4 slot is quite overwhelmed.  The evasion of the mosquito, the pumpable shades, and the landfall enhancing cartographer all get the nod over the second Sell-Sword.

wow.
I think the cards lend themselves very nicely to a white/black aggro deck. We are slightly short on bomb power but the low end of the curve is incredible.

My main dilemma is whether or not to include the green. THe harrow and expedition are absolutely terrific in a list featuring two adventuring gear and two steppe lynxes.
Given how many cards require BB and WW, and because I want this to be an aggressive deck, I have decided to limit it to two colors. However, I would have the green in the back of my mind as a sideboarding option against more controlling decks.

Creatures (15)
2 Steppe Lynx
1 Kor Duelist
1 Guul Draz Vampire
1 Kor Outfitter
1 Kor Aeronaut
1 Bloodghast
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Kor Sanctifiers
1 Nimana Sell-Sword
2 Crypt Ripper
1 Kor Cartographer
1 Heartstabber Mosquito
1 Felidar Sovereign

Spells (7)
2 Adventuring Gear
1 Trusty Machete
1 Soul Stair Expedition
1 Disfigure
1 Marsh Casulaties
1 Pitfall Trap

Land (18)
1 Marsh Flats
8 plains
9 swamp

M:tG Rules Adviser

This pool makes me sad.  I'd hope to never open anything like this.

There's not nearly enough in any color to make a controlling deck in any way, shape, or form.  We're all in on aggro.  The equipment is great, but offensive removal and good early drops are sorely lacking.  The best creature lineup to compliment the equipment sits in white and black:

I find it interesting that you and I build almost identical decks (1 difference - you included the scorpion, while I included soul stair expedition) - and I think it's a very nice aggressive deck, while you're unhappy with how it looks.
My experience from the prerelease was that Zen sealed tends to be quite slow and a deck with as many aggressive drops as this stands to do quite well.
Of course the difficulty will be pushing through for those last few points of damage once the board started getting cluttered... hence soul stair expedition (which will help maintain board position as you "attack with all" for the win). Crypt ripper certainly packs enough punch to force through a few extra points of damage, and guul draz vampire is a terrific finisher against non-black opponents.

BR aggro decks are very good in Zendikar, and they're also probably the easiest to build.  However, if you don't have some of the best cards (Plated Geopede, Vampire Nighthawk, Ob Nixils) included, it's probably not going to win out.

The sealed listed is a good attempt at making many different type of decks possible, but it's lacking some key removal, and there's not enough support in other colors.  So I think the best deck is something along these lines:

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
1  Bog Tatters
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Grim Discovery
1  Guul Draz Vampire
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Vampire Hexmage
2  Goblin War Paint
1  Highland Berserker
1  Punishing Fire
1  Ruinous Minotaur
1  Zektar Shrine Expedition
2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

1  Akoum Refuge
10 Swamps
6 Mountains

Maybe 9 Swamps 7 Mountains

It's tempting to include some green, but IMHO 1 Harrow is not enough, and you need dubs green for Nissa's Chosen and Vines of Vastwood, and then your whole mana support will start to fall apart.  No Khalni Gem in this pool, so stick to the BR aggro.

Ooops, I didn't see the Felidar Sovereign in white.  That makes white very strong as well.  Could easily go WR or WB in this.

I may be wrong but I only count 5 rares in this pool.

Felidar Sovereign

Bala Ged Theif

Bloodghast

Crypt of Agadeem

and Marsh Flats.

Also there are 2 listings for Kracken Hatchling.

Please let me know if I missed a rare.

I have to agree that this deck seams quite bad.  It is probably going to be quite fast, but it doesnt have enough combat tricks/removal to stay aggressive once larger creatures start dropping on the other side.  All I noticed is 1 Disfigure (Marsh Casualties is sorcery & pitfall only hits attackers).  There is very little evasion also which makes it even weaker.

Give this deck a little more removal spells and flying creatures and it has something going for it.  This deck will do well against alot of decks, but probably not the kind that have already went 3-0.

2 Nimana Sell-Sword
1 Soul Stair Expedition
1 Vampire Hexmage
2 Adventuring Gear
1 Trusty Machete
1 Felidar Sovereign
1 Kor Cartographer
1 Kor Outfitter
1 Kor Sanctifiers
1 Makindi Shieldmate
1 Pitfall Trap
2 Steppe Lynx
2 Paralyzing Grasp
1 Expedition Map
1 Disfigure
1 Bala Ged Thief
1 Marsh Casualties
1 Heartstabber Mosquito
1 Crypt Ripper
1 Jwar Isle Refuge
1 Marsh Flats
1 Island
8 Swamp
6 Plains

it's a little out of order, but personally I love the ally theme and paralyzing grasp is insane against opposing bombs which are sure to come up.  Mana might need a little work, but this is what I've got.  Feedback would be nice because I want to goto GP-Minneapolis!

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I saw to put together a GB deck splashing white for Felidar Sovereign (yes, it's WW, but it's completely doable with the absurd fixing present in this pool).  Harrow, Khalni Heart, Greypelt Refuge, Marsh Flats and two plains gives you a very good chance of hitting two white mana in enough time to have it by turn six if the Sovereign is in your opening hand, and the card is definitely powerful enough to warrant a splash.  The double Exp. Gears for sure love the instant speed landfall, and the green may not be incredibly deep, but the effects there are powerful.  The pool is so short on removal you practically have to run 2x Vines of Vastwood and just call them removal (which they are, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, this is not your grandmother's combat trick).  I'm not a huge fan of Crypt Ripper, as I've never lost a game an opponent played one against me.  There's an argument to be made for splashing the Pitfall Trap along with the Sovereign, and in fact if I could see the pool in front of me in cards I might be able to better tell whether or not I'd want to, but I wouldn't fault a person one way or the other for doing so or not.

Also, yeah, only five rares in this pool, so I'd just call a judge.

As stated above, WB looks like the most promising direction

Creatures 15

1  Felidar Sovereign
1  Kor Aeronaut
1  Kor Cartographer
1  Kor Duelist
1  Kor Sanctifiers
1  Makindi Shieldmate
2  Steppe Lynx

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
1  Crypt Ripper
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Vampire Hexmage

Spells 7

1  Pitfall Trap
1  Disfigure
1  Marsh Casualties
1  Soul Stair Expedition
2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

9  Swamp
1  Marsh Flats
8  Plains

I'm not a big fan of splashing in this format (plus nothing really screams out to be included) and WB are both quite greedy colors with WW and BB often wanted early.  If we're playing all 3 equipment I think the Duelist gets the nod over Guul Draz Vamp, which I find to often be a dead card early.

The lack of removal and any bombs outside the Sovereign means we're going to have to lean quite heavily on our early game aggression and mid-game allies and hope we can get there.

I think there isn't enough consideration of blue.  I personally really like blue in Zendikar.  Aether Figment is especially potent, and we get some removal in the form of Paralyzing Grasp.  Removal in the form of enchantments is great in Zendikar since there is almost no enchantment hate to speak of.  I think Kor Sanctifiers and Relic Crush is it.

I think I would go Green/Blue, with maybe some white splashed in.  There is some potential for some landfall shenanigans - nothing ridiculous, but with the equipment, harrow and heart expedition, and steppe lynx, I think that's something.  Blue's got some good evasion, though I would kill for a windrider eel.

Here's the deck:

13 Creatures

1 River Boa

1 Vastwood Gorger

1 Aether Figment

2 Caller of Gales

2 Kraken Hatchling

1 Tempest Owl

1 Welkin Tern

2 Steppe Lynx

1 Kor Duelist

1 Felidar Sovereign

11 Spells

1 Ior Ruin Expedition

2 Paralyzing Grasp

1 Harrow

1 Khalni Heart Expedition

1 Quest for the Gemblades

1 Vines of Vastwood

2 Adventuring Gear

2 Expedition Map

17 Land

1 Graypelt Refuge

1 Marsh Flats

1 Soaring Seacliff

7 Islands

5 Forests

2 Plains

I don't think Soul Stair Expedition is playable.  You have to get it out at the right time for it to do any good.  Use it early and it gets back creatures that will just die again.  Use it late and you have a dead card in your hand (or on the board) all that time.  You can usually find another creature or artifact to fill that spot.

BR aggro decks are very good in Zendikar, and they're also probably the easiest to build.  However, if you don't have some of the best cards (Plated Geopede, Vampire Nighthawk, Ob Nixils) included, it's probably not going to win out.

The sealed listed is a good attempt at making many different type of decks possible, but it's lacking some key removal, and there's not enough support in other colors.  So I think the best deck is something along these lines:

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
1  Bog Tatters
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Grim Discovery
1  Guul Draz Vampire
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Vampire Hexmage
2  Goblin War Paint
1  Highland Berserker
1  Punishing Fire
1  Ruinous Minotaur
2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

1  Akoum Refuge
10 Swamps
6 Mountains

Maybe 9 Swamps 7 Mountains

It's tempting to include some green, but IMHO 1 Harrow is not enough, and you need dubs green for Nissa's Chosen and Vines of Vastwood, and then your whole mana support will start to fall apart.  No Khalni Gem in this pool, so stick to the BR aggro.

I think I like this BR deck better than the BW decks, as mentioned before there isn't a ton of removal in this thing so you aren't likely to win the longer games, so in order to tear through you need to have a aggro deck, and your red lends itself better as the second color than white does. White is just too double color intensive and you want to have as many swamps as you can. Not to mention the ally interaction with highland berserker, and the general aggro nature of the paints, the minotaur, and the shrine.

The only change i'd make to the above deck is -1 Bog Tatters +1 TukTuk Grunts...as the grunts just synergize much better with the rest of the deck (and is a better card overall).

Mafia History (Most Fun and/or Favorites listed)
SoM Mafia - Mirran-Aligned Mason - Killed Night 5 - Mafia win Iron Maiden Mafia (Classic) - Mafia-aligned Vanilla - Lived - Mafia Win - MVP PK Hates you (Int) - Mafia Don - Lived - Mafia Flawless Victory Toxic Waste Mafia (PC#3) - Mafia-aligned Roleblocker turned Hive-aligned Roleblocker - Hive win - MVP Basic #4: The Orchard Tree Mafia - Town-aligned Apple - Killed Night 4 - Mafia Win Mono has Mono, the privates story - Mafia-aligned Godfather - Lived - Mafia Win Touhou: Border Collapse (PC#4) - Sakuya Izayoi - Died Night 2 - Mafia win Tales of Symphonia (Int+) - Presea Combatir, Taciturn Girl - Lived - Town Win Sunflowers for Ragnarokio (PC#5) - In progress

The only change i'd make to the above deck is -1 Bog Tatters +1 TukTuk Grunts...as the grunts just synergize much better with the rest of the deck (and is a better card overall).

But taking the metagame into account you'll face a lot of black, and that Swampwalk becomes a win condition.  Hideous End  won't get rid of it, either (but Disfigure will).

The first step I would take is eliminating cards that I simply would not consider playing main deck at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White Pool: 15 cards

Brave the Elements
Narrow Escape
Quest for the Holy Relic
Sunspring Expedition

Post-Cut White Pool: 11 cards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Pool: 14 cards

Spreading Seas

Post-Cut Blue Pool: 13 cards

Black Pool: 17 cards

Bog Tatters
Feast of Blood. (to few vampires.)
Mire Blight

Post-Cut Black Pool: 14 cards

Red Pool: 10 cards

Demolish

Post-Cut Red Pool: 9 cards

Green Pool: 12 cards

Quest for the Gemblades
River Boa
Savage Silhouette
Scythe Tiger

Post-Cut Green Pool: 7 cards

Artifact Pool: 6

Carnage Altar

Post-Cut Artifact Pool

Now, the next step for me is to look at my pools and rate them as good or mediocre, and whether or not they would be splashable. Then I rate each pool 1-5, 1 being the best.

White Pool: 11 Cards

Mediocre: 4 (Caravan Hurda, Kor Duelist, Kor Outfitter, Makindi Shieldmate)
Good: 7 (Felidar Sovereign, Kor Aeronaut, Kor Cartographer, Kor Sanctifiers, Pitfall Trap, Steppe Lynx x2)
Splashable: 1 (Pitfall Trap)

Post-Cut White Pool Rating: 2

Blue Pool: 13 Cards

Mediocre: 8 (Caller of Gales x2, Ior Ruin Expedition, Kraken Hatchling x2, Reckless Scholar, Sky Ruin Drake, Spell Pierce)
Good: 5 (AEther Figment, Paralyzing Grasp x2, Tempest Owl, Welkin Tern)
Splashable: 2 (Paralyzing Grasp x2)

Post-Cut Blue Pool Rating: 4

Black Pool: 14 Cards

Mediocre: 4 (Crypt Ripper x2, Grim Discovery, Soul Stair Expedition)
Good: 10 (Bala Ged Thief, Bloodghast, Disfigure, Giant Scorpion, Guul Draz Vampire, Heartstabber Mosquito, Marsh Casualties, Nimana Sell-Sword x2, Vampire Hexmage)
Splashable: 1 (Disfigure)

Post-Cut Black Pool Rating: 1

Red Pool: 9 Cards

Mediocre: 4 (Goblin War Paint x2, Highland Berserker, Molten Ravager)
Good: 5 (Punishing Fire, Ruinous Minotaur, Slaughter Cry, Tuktuk Grunts, Zektar Shrine Expedition)
Splashable: 2 (Punishing Fire, Slaughter Cry)

Post-Cut Red Pool Rating: 3

Green Pool: 7 Cards

Mediocre: 2 (Joraga Bard, Vastwood Gorger)
Good: 5 (Harrow, Khalni Heart Expedition, Nissa's Chosen, Vines of Vastwood x2)
Splashable: 2 (Harrow, Khalni Heart Expedition)

Post-Cut Green Pool Rating: 5

This is where it might get confusing.  After my ratings and looking at the pools, it would seem that Black is a definite, but then I have 2 possibilities for the second.  I have rated the white higher for overall cards, but Red does have something that makes it playable too.  I have 3 allies including Bala Ged Thief in Black, and Red has 2 others that can join the party, compared to 1 for white.  After a bit of thinking, I realized I would have to cut some cards for Black/White, so I could drop a little dead weight and make it more aggro.  This is what I plan on doing.

Pre-Deck Cut Possibilities

Caravan Hurda
Kor Duelist
Kor Outfitter
Grim Discovery
Soul-Stair Expedition

I can cut either 2 or 3 cards out of these 5.  I feel that Grim Discovery and Caravan Hurda should go right off the bat.  This leaves me with Kor Duelist, Kor Outfitter and Soul-Stair Expedition.  I think the decision between these 3 happen to be very hard.  Soul-Stair can get you some aggression after your opponent uses his or her hate, but a 1/1 for 1 is pretty weak, and a 2/2 vanilla for double white is pretty bad as well.  After looking at the land base, the choice seems obvious though.  With a Marsh Flats to help get my on color lands and an Akoum Refuge it wouldn't be hard to splash red.  I end up with this.

Caravan Hurda is OUT
Kor Duelist is OUT
Kor Outfitter is OUT
Grim Discovery is OUT

Soul-Stair Expedition is IN
Punishing Fire is IN
Slaughter Cry is IN
Akoum Refuge is IN
Mountain x2 is IN

All in all, I feel pretty confident with the deck I have built.  I hope you all enjoy what I have written.

Lands: 17

Marsh Flats
Akoum Refuge
Mountain x2
Plains x6
Swamp x7

Creatures: 17

Bala Ged Thief
Bloodghast
Crypt Ripper x2
Giant Scorpion
Guul Draz Vampire
Heartstabber Mosquito
Nimana Sell-Sword x2
Vampire Hexmage
Felidar Sovereign
Kor Aeronaut
Kor Cartographer
Kor Sanctifiers
Makindi Shieldmate
Steppe Lynx x2

Spells: 6

Disfigure
Marsh Casualties
Soul-Stair Expedition
Pitfall Trap
Punishing Fire
Slaughter Cry

I, like almost everyone else in here, thought BW looks like it. Someone mentioned BR, so I thought, "ah there might be some truth in it". But racking up the cards it doesnt seem like it.

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Soul Stair Expedition
1  Vampire Hexmage

1  Highland Berserker
1  Molten Ravager
1  Punishing Fire
1  Ruinous Minotaur
1  Slaughter Cry
1  Tuktuk Grunts

2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

1  Akoum Refuge
1  Marsh Flats

I rather go with these

1  Felidar Sovereign
1  Kor Aeronaut
1  Kor Cartographer
1  Kor Outfitter
1  Kor Sanctifiers
1  Makindi Shieldmate
1  Narrow Escape
1  Pitfall Trap
2  Steppe Lynx

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Nimana Sell-Sword

1  Soul Stair Expedition

1  Vampire Hexmage

1  Felidar Sovereign
1  Kor Aeronaut
1  Kor Cartographer
1  Kor Sanctifiers
1  Makindi Shieldmate
1  Pitfall Trap
2  Steppe Lynx

2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

1  Akoum Refuge
1  Marsh Flats

I have no clue what to do about hexmage/outfitter/airbear/blood ghast/crypt ripper

He said You have three byes and you're looking to really rip through the tournament. How would you build your deck from this pool?

So I guess some leap of faith could be done. Like mashing in red in the BW. I mean, what the worst that could happen? I have seen worse mana get there.

When I read the article, I kept thinking of the Kamigawa era Dampen Thought draft decks. If you snagged enough copies of Dampen Thought and Arcane spells to splice it onto, you could end up with a pretty good imitation of a Turbo-Fog deck, stalling the game and preventing damage until you've milled away your opponent's library. Who needs a combat phase?

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

In my opinion both the green and blue are not an option. The black is very good.

Looking at the black cards and the three equipment it's clear this should be an agro deck. BW offers the stronger cards but will stumble on mana a lot. Both black and white need double colour or more. An agro deck in this sealed format can't stumble on mana, that is a sure way to loose. BR offers an additional removal spell in punishing fire and creaters in the 2 and 3 slot where some additional action was needed. There are two more allies as well which are great with the black ones.

Adventuring gear is good in an agro deck but needs 18 land, this is the deck I would build from this pool:

trusty machette
2 adventuring gear
disfigure
guul draz vampire
soul stair expedition

bloodghast
vampire hexmage
highland berserker
marsh casualties
punishing fire
zektar shrine expedition

giant scorpion
ruinous minotaur
slaughter cry

bala ged thief
2 crypt ripper
heartstabber mosquito
2 nimana sell-sword

tuktuk grunts

land:
akoum refuge
marsh flats
10 swamp
6 mountain

I am in doubt if this deck needs another mountain and if the soul stair expedition is good enough since only the mosquito is really worth recurring.

Photobucket

The first step I would take is eliminating cards that I simply would not consider playing main deck at all.

Quest for the Gemblades
River Boa
Savage Silhouette
Scythe Tiger

I liked the rest of your post, but you're really not into green are you?  three of those four cards are certainly playable (Quest for the Gemblades, River Boa, Savage Silhouette), while Joraga Bard (which you didn't cut) is very borderline in my opinion.

Well, he mentioned explicitly that you had to tear through the tournament.  For me the only route is playing your cards who are almost always good, and not sometimes good.  So no aggro deck for me.  I checked the pool, and I came up with the following deck:

Kor Aeronaut
Vampire Hexmage
Highland Berserker
Kor Sanctifiers
Makindi Shieldmate
Giant Scorpion
Bala Ged Thief
Heartstabber Mosquito
Nimana Sell-Sword 2x
Bog Tatters
Tuktuk Grunts
Felidar Sovereign

Disfigure
Trusty Machete 
Expedition Map 2x
Punishing Fire
Narrow Escape
Pitfall Trap
Paralyzing Grasp 2x
Marsh Casualties

6 plains
5 Swamps
2 mountain
1 island
Marsh Flats
Akoum Refuge
Jwar Isle Refuge

It has lifegain, makes the most of your removal and allies, and it still has late game power.  With cheap removal, some good blockers etc..., it probably can survive the early turns.

I'm going B/W aggro here for certain.  I'm thinking (after all of five minutes thinking, I'll admit):

Sovereign, the five Kors (possibly cutting the outfitter though for an additional Adv. Gear), Pitfall Trap, both Lynxes in white.  Bloodghast, both Crypt Rippers, Disfigure, Scorpion, Grim Discovery, Guul Draz Vampire, Mosquito, Marsh Casualties (a real killer against opposing weenies), both Sell-Swords, and the Hexmage in black.  One Gear and the Machete.  Run the Marsh Flats of course.

Highly aggressive and probably pretty good against opposing aggresive weenie decks, but vulnerable to opposing fatties with its limited removal.  I just don't know that any kind of splash or the other colors are worth it.  The two Paralyzing Grasps along with the Jwar Isle Refuge and a couple islands might be a sideboard option against a fattie-heavy deck.

Felidar Sovereign

Bala Ged Theif

Bloodghast

Crypt of Agadeem

and Marsh Flats.

I assumed the second Kraken Hatchling was a foil.

That said, the decklist says that it's 80 cards, when it should be 84 (6 packs of 14).

I think I would go B/W here.

Black(12):
1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Guul Draz Vampire
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Vampire Hexmage

White(9):
1  Brave the Elements
1  Felidar Sovereign
1  Kor Cartographer
1  Kor Sanctifiers
1  Kor Duelist
1  Narrow Escape
1  Pitfall Trap
2  Steppe Lynx

Artifact(2):
1 Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

Land(17):
1  Marsh Flats
9 Swamp
7 Plains

Not that it would be advisable, but I find it interesting that this pool has several duplicates of the cards that enable a turn 3 kill if you play white green.

Turn 1 Linx

Turn 2 Linx or Advernturing Gear

Turn 3 Fetchland,  Harrow, Vines with kicker.

Quest for the Gemblades
River Boa
Savage Silhouette
Scythe Tiger

I liked the rest of your post, but you're really not into green are you?  three of those four cards are certainly playable (Quest for the Gemblades, River Boa, Savage Silhouette), while Joraga Bard (which you didn't cut) is very borderline in my opinion.

Well, I said it they are not playable main deck.  I would certainly like the River Boa in my sideboard.  Also, I just feel the Quest and the Silhouette are just to slow to be main decked with all the aggression in this format.  The only reason Joraga Bard makes the cut is because he is an ally.

2  Steppe Lynx

1  Pitfall Trap

1  Kor Sanctifiers

1  Kor Cartographer

1  Kor Duelist

1  Brave the Elements

1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast

2  Crypt Ripper
1  Disfigure

1  Giant Scorpion

1  Guul Draz Vampire
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
1  Marsh Casualties
1  Mire Blight
2  Nimana Sell-Sword

1  Vampire Hexmage

2  Adventuring Gear

1  Trusty Machete

7 Plains

9 Swamp

1 Marsh Flats

Steppe Lynx

Pitfall Trap

Kor Sanctifiers

Kor Cartographer

Kor Duelist

Brave the Elements

Bala Ged Thief

Bloodghast

Crypt Ripper

Disfigure

Giant Scorpion

Guul Draz Vampire

Heartstabber Mosquito

Marsh Casualties

Mire Blight

Nimana Sell-Sword

Vampire Hexmage

Adventuring Gear

Trusty Machete

7 Plains

9 Swamp

Marsh Flats

It's tough to give a full evaluation given the missing rare, and I think an uncommon might be missing as well.  With the double-listed Kraken Hatchling, we might be missing as many as 3 commons.  The missing cards could very well affect color decisions here since even a borderline playable card could push us one way or another.

As it stands, I think we could go a number of ways. B/U, B/W, B/G/w, or W/G/b all seem like viable options.  I think B/U will be the most consistent and give us more answers to opposing flyers.  The blue does seem really sad without Into the Roil or Whiplash Trap, though.

Also, River Boa would be a solid inclusion for any green-based deck in this format, with or without Islandwalk.  It holds the ground defensively very well and can even survive Day of Judgment.

I think Black is clearly the strongest color.

As for where to go with the 2nd color, I can see reasons for green, white, red, and blue.

Green boosts Bog Tatters & helps you get to Mosquito, and gives you dudes that wont die (Boa + Silhouttes).

Blue is the easiest splash, with some evasion and removal and nothing with double color in the cost.

Red is the best way to boost your Ally count plus Punishing Fire is pretty nice.

White brings the best overall card power I think but also the most double color casting spells.  It's probably manageable with this pool though.

I usually play to Blue-Black-Red as a mix of control and aggro, but I don't think there's much to do with blue in this pool. That said, I threw this deck together:

Creatures:
1 Bala Ged Thief
1 Bloodghast
2 Crypt Ripper
1 Giant Scorpion
1 Guul Draz Vampire
1 Heartstabber Mosquito
1 Highland Berserker
1 Molten Ravager
2 Nimana Sell-Sword
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Vampire Hexmage

Instants:
1 Disfigure
1 Punishing Fire
1 Slaughter Cry

Sorceries:
1 Grim Discovery
1 Marsh Casualties
1 Demolish

Enchantments:
1 Mire Blight
1 Soul Stair Expedition
2 Goblin War Paint
1 Zektar Shrine Expedition

Artifacts:
2 Adventuring Gear
1 Expedition Map
1 Trusty Machete
1 Carnage Altar

Lands:
1 Akoum Refuge
1 Crypt of Agadeem
6 Mountain
8 Swamp

I feel that some of the cards here mesh together pretty well on some levels. The 5 allies present play well enough off each other, and they can be boosted with Adventuring Gear, Trusty Machete or Goblin Warpaint (with Slaughter Cry thrown in, just in case) to take them even further. True, there isn't much removal available, though Punishing Fire can be useful at least once or twice, depending on your opponent.

Because of the heavier reliance on black creatures that will likely bounce between the 'field and the graveyard a couple times (most of all Bloodghast, though Soul Stair Expedition has its use, too), Crypt of Agadeem can become useful at the right time to, for instance, kick Heartstabber Mosquito or Marsh Casualties, or pump up the Crypt Rippers for a bigger blow. Carnage Altar can also play a part in this strategy, while at the same time giving you back some card advantage.

I'm not saying this is the perfect deck or anything, but I think it can hold its own for a while.

chalk me up for the fast White-Black deck as in the early posts.  We're very low on removal which is bad in sealed.  Best chance is fast beats blowout.  Even though we're playing 3 or 4 2-drops with double mana, I think it might be possible to play Akoum Refuge and Mountain to splash Punishing Fire for just a little bit of reach (and a little more removal).

I've gone for the BW aggro deck too. I didn't include Crypt Ripper since I'm desperately trying to balance between the two colours and expect the Sell-Swords to be better in general. I'm not happy with the lack of 3 drops but you have plenty of earlier drops that you're unlikely to play until turn 3 anyway (Bloodghast and Kor Aeronaut.. nice deck). Cartographer is good with 2 Lynx and 2 Adventuring Geat and with 3 good equipments i'm alright with Kor Duelist:

• 2 Steppe Lynx

• Kor Duelist

• Guul Draz Vampire

• Vampire Hexmage

• Kor Aeronaut

• Kor Outfitter

• Bloodghast

• Giant Scorpion

• Kor Sanctifiers

• Kor Cartographer

• 2 Nimana Sell-Sword

• Bog Tatters

• Felidar Sovereign

• Heartstabber Mosquito

• 2 Adventuring Gear

• Trusty Machete

• Disfigure

• Brave the Elements

• Marsh Casualties

• Marsh Flats

• 9 Swamps

• 8 Plains

Okay so I also went the BW aggro route, I would be very happy to open a pool like this in sealed. What I really want to be abusing here is the landfall mechanic with the double lynx, double gear, bloodghast, marsh flats, cartographer, discovery to get back my marsh flats. So what we want it lots of cheap aggresive creatures to pick up our equipment. Also with a nice recursion theme, with the expedition and discovery to get back my bigger creatures ideally my heart stabber mosquito and felidar soverign, but bala ged thief could be nice for ripping people hand apart again as well.

A few notable non inclusions are, giant scorpion and pitfall trap as I just have no intention of defending with this pool and they are both primarly defensive cards. Lastly Kor outfitter, as its a little heavy on the white to be casting it when we want to our pool needs black mana a little more.

18 lands as this deck really wants to drop a land every turn despite an overall low curve.

1 Marsh Flats

9 Swamp

8 Plains

1 Disfigure

1 Gruul Draz Vampire

1 Soul Stair expedition

2 adventuring gear

1 trusty machete

2 steppe lynx

1 kor duelist

1 grim discovery

1 vampire hexmage

1 kor aeronaut

1 bloodghast

1 kor sanctifers

1 bala ged thief

2 crypt ripper

2 nimana sell sword

1 Kor cartographer

1 marsh casulties

1 felidar soverign

1 heart stabber mosquito

Hurr hurr

No color has late-game fat at common or uncommon besides green.  NOT AN ISSUE.  You have trusty Machete and adventuring gear to outsize any 4/4 dorks you run into; and if you're only trading, great, trade a two drop for their 5 drop.  NOT AN ISSUE.  You also have Crypt Ripper and Sovereign  to go toe to toe with fat. NOT AN ISSUE.

The biggest issue is lack of removal to deal with bombs, which isn't going to change unless you bastardize your mana base to include another color.

Anyways you have 3 bombs, Felidar Sovereign, Trusty Machete,  and Marsh Casualties, you are not lacking.  Like most bombs in Zendikar they're not blow your mind ridiculous.  

Kor Duelist

2 Steppe Lynx

Guul Daz Vampire

Vampire HexMage

Bloodghast

Kor Outfitter

Kor Aeronaut

Kor Sanctifier

Giant Scorpion

Kor Cartographer

2 Crypt Ripper

Heartstabber Mosquito

Felidar Sovereign

Grim Discovery

Disfigure

Soul-Stair Expedition

Marsh Casualties

Pitfall Trap

Trusty Machete

2 Adventuring Gear

9 swamp

8 plains

1 Marsh Flats

This is what i would prolly play, cutting a card somewhere.  Maybe Kor Outftter.

Felidar Sovereign

Bala Ged Theif

Bloodghast

Crypt of Agadeem

and Marsh Flats.

I believe you're right; there appears to be 1 rare missing (even though there are 80 cards posted)

I know I'm late to the party, but here is what I would build.  I haven't read the rest of this thread yet so as to not influence my first take.

16 Creatures
1  Felidar Sovereign
1  Kor Aeronaut
1  Kor Duelist
1  Kor Outfitter
1  Kor Sanctifiers
1  Makindi Shieldmate
1  Bala Ged Thief
1  Bloodghast
2  Crypt Ripper
1  Giant Scorpion
1  Guul Draz Vampire
1  Heartstabber Mosquito
2  Nimana Sell-Sword
1  Vampire Hexmage

7 Non-creatures
1  Pitfall Trap
1  Disfigure
1  Grim Discovery
1  Marsh Casualties
2  Adventuring Gear
1  Trusty Machete

17 Lands
1  Crypt of Agadeem
1  Marsh Flats
8  Swamps
7  Plains

I like the combo of the Duelist with the 3 equipments.  I like the combo of the Crypt with the two shades.  This build has pretty good removal, decent evasion, and the possiblity for decent fat too.  An Explorer's Scope would have topped this deck off perfectly, but it is what it is.

Edit: After reading some comments I'm not sure why there is no love for the Grim Discovery and Sac Land combo ... in a deck with two Adventuring Gears!  It's always good for getting back your best creature from the graveyard, or maybe that 1/1 vampire that died early and can come back as a 3/2 fear in the late game, but if you can also get back a land that will trigger landfall twice that will be huge.  I'm also not seeing many decks with the Crypt.  It doesn't really have a drawback and can potentially help provide extra mana for your shades in the late game with running 10 black creatures.

I bet there should be another blue rare/mythic in the pool.

B/W is the obvious and correct choice. Perhaps red could be splashed. Possibly.

Also, the guy who lists river boa, savage silhouette and quest for the gemblades as unplayable qute obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

I didn't see anyone splashing green to try to take full advantage of the landfall in a B/W/G build.  I have a feeling this deck is less consistent, but maybe also more powerful in the long game, than the straight B/W aggro.  The multilands might make it work.  Any critiques on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bala ged thief

Disfigure

Grim discovery (seems amazing with Harrow and the W-B land)

Guul daz vampire

Heartstabber mosquito

2 nimana sell-sword

1 marsh casualties

1 bloodghast

Felidar sovereign

Kor cartographer

kor sanctifiers

pitfall trap

2 steppe lynx

2 adventuring gear

1 trusty machete