Hurl Weapon vs. Improvised Missile

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Firstly, why would any barbarian take Hurl Weapon over Improvised Missile when they do almost the same thing, but Improvised Missile does it better?

Second, what exactly do you get out of it when the weapon can now be used as a Heavy Thrown weapon? Obviously, it now has a 5/10 range and you use your STR on the attack instead of DEX, but does this also mean it now does normal weapon damage? After all, despite the fact it was an improvised (or off-hand melee weapon), I am now using it as a Heavy Thrown weapon so it should do normal weapon rather than improvised weapon damage. Will a magic weapon used with this feat return to the users hands after the attack?

Writing Director - Returned Abeir

Firstly, why would any barbarian take Hurl Weapon over Improvised Missile when they do almost the same thing, but Improvised Missile does it better?

Improvised Missile only works on improvised melee weapons where Hurl Weapon works on your off-hand weapon(aka Whirling Barbarians do this pretty well). i.e. improvised melee weapons are almost by definition non-magical in terms of weapon properties, so no, they don't return.

Improvised Missile only works on improvised melee weapons where Hurl Weapon works on your off-hand weapon(aka Whirling Barbarians do this pretty well). i.e. improvised melee weapons are almost by definition non-magical in terms of weapon properties, so no, they don't return.

I think I get what it is saying now. The problem is that I thought Improvised Ranged Weapons already had the Heavy Thrown property and that by default, a off-hand melee weapon used as a range weapon was a Improvised Ranged Weapon. Oddly after looking at page 219 (and the eratta) I see that Improvised Ranged Weapons have neither the Heavy nor Light thrown property and thus, by the rules, can't be used at range, despite having a range.

Writing Director - Returned Abeir

I think I get what it is saying now. The problem is that I thought Improvised Ranged Weapons already had the Heavy Thrown property and that by default, a off-hand melee weapon used as a range weapon was a Improvised Ranged Weapon. Oddly after looking at page 219 (and the eratta) I see that Improvised Ranged Weapons have neither the Heavy nor Light thrown property and thus, by the rules, can't be used at range, despite having a range.

They can be used at range, using the rules for Improvised Ranged Weapons on page 219 and Ranged Basic Attacks on page 287. You attack by Dex. vs. AC, you gain no proficiency bonus, and your [W] damage is 1d4. Weapons with the Heavy Thrown or Light Thrown properties allow you to use them at range as those weapons instead of as Improvised Ranged Weapons.

Improvised Missile feat along with Gloves of Giant Kind isn't bad.

This would give you a STR+(2/4/6)+2 attack that does 2d(6/8/10)+STR

Seems pretty fluffy to me.  Barbarian grabs 30lb pound rock and launches it at enemy soldier.

Sign In to post comments