Barbarian Feycharger

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Nightcrawler

Taking inspiration from SongNSilence's most excellent Arcane Feycharger builds, here's my attempt at building a Barbarian Feycharger.

I wanted to find a way to start with a hybrid Barbarian|Fighter to keep all my attacks Strength focused, but the combination of Aegis of Assault and Eladrin Swordmage Advance was just far too good to give up.  I considered MC Swordmage (Int 13 required), but to qualify for Arcane Aegis I would have to Paragon Multiclass Swordmage to get just a single Aegis use per encounter.  Again, too much to give up for limited use.  With Hybrid Swordmage, I regain the use of my Aegis of Assault once the original subject drops to 0hp or the mark is superseded by another.  Unfortunately, this does mean I get stuck with a bunch on INT-based attacks that will probably see limited use until I can trade them out.  I tried to make sure most of the Swordmage attacks I selected targetted NADs or had other useful effects hit or miss.

Through Heroic tier he is a fairly squishy striker with limited options.  Try to stay alive; it gets better, I promise.

(Note: This build is all pre-Primal Power. I will come back and update where I see fit once I finish going through the new book.)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bamf, level 1
Eladrin, Barbarian|Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 14 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 27 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +7, Perception +5, Acrobatics +7, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History +3, Insight, Intimidate -1, Nature, Religion +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)

POWERS
Hybrid Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Hybrid Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Avalanche Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Frost Backlash

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Falchion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Going Barbarian|Swordmage I am trying to combine the high-damge charging of a Barbarian (especially Howling Strike) with the teleporting and extra attacks of an Assault Swordmage.  Eladrin for Fey Step, which will be the primary focus of the build once we hit paragon, and the Forgotten Realms Windrise Ports background benefit to allow us to take two Multiclass feats.

Level Progression:
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) - +1 to hit. Enjoy.
Howling Strike is our Barbarian At-Will for obvious reasons.  Luring Strike from Arcane Power for the Swordmage At-Will.  With a 12 Intelligence I don't expect to use this power often; however, it does have "Effect: Before or after the attack, you can shift 1 square."  An at-will, hit or (likely) miss, free shift.  At least it's something!  Avalanche Strike for a 3[W]+STR Encounter smack (our defenses suck so much that another +4 really doesn't concern me).  Frost Backlash for a chance to do some pretty decent damage (half on a miss) on an enemies turn.  Versus Reflex, so it might hit.  Since Hybrids have to alternate power selections between the two classes, it's really a matter of choosing which Barbarian powers I REALLY want, and finding the best Swordmage option for the alternate levels.  In this case, as much as I would love to grab one of the Level 1 Rages, I'm holding out for Thunder Hawk at 5.

Level 2: Eladrin Swordmage Advance - Free MBA after Fey Step.  Good now, awesome later.
Agile Recovery for a Utility power.  At-Will Minor stand up.  So many times have I wished for this power.

Level 3: Blazing Lunge; Swordmage Encounter. Versus Reflex, usable when charging or Aegis attack.

Level 4: Sneak of Shadows, retrain Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) to Weapon Proficiency (Double sword) - MC Rogue for Sneak Attack and future feats, WP Double Sword for the Light Blade requirement and an AC buff.
+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

Level 5: Thunder Hawk Rage; Barbarian Daily. Once per round, FREE ACTION, Strength vs. Fortitude to knock prone.

Level 6: Hybrid Talent (Barbarian): Feral Might Rageblood Vigor - Not much Con to help with Temp HP, this is all for Swift Charge.  Another possible free attack.
Armathor's Step; Swordmage Utility, more teleporting fun, with a +2 (power) bonus on the attack.

Level 7: Flamewall Strike; Swordmage Encounter.  Not huge damage, but it is automatic, and a zone effect.

Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) - Enjoy it for a couple more levels
+1 Strength +1 Constitution (for a couple kickers)

Level 9: Oak Hammer Rage; Barbarian Daily. Another Rage! Every melee attack knocks prone. Again, it would be nicer if we had some more Con, but still pretty sweet.

Level 10: Student of the Sword - MC Fighter (Student of Two-Handed Weapons) for +1 to attack, once per encounter. Really taking this to access the key feat of this whole build: Fey Charge.
Mountain Roots; Barbarian Utility. Stance (stacks with Rages) to negate forced movement.  I go wherever I want, and STAY there!

Heroic Tier Gear Worth Considering:
Bestial Armor (daily free MBA after a charge)
Breaching Armor (daily teleport through a wall)
Marauder's Armor (+1AC after charging, daily heal or save)
Vanguard Weapon (more damage on a charge)
Mithrendain Steel Weapon (+1 teleport distance, daily teleport enemy)
Horned Helm (even more damage on a charge)
Cloak of Translocation (+2AC/Ref after teleport, daily regain teleport power)
Bracers of Escape (daily interrupt teleport)
Iron Armbands of Power (everyone loves more damage)
Feyleaf Vambraces (daily teleport into flanking)
Boots of Adept Charging (shift 1 after charge)

Barbarian Feycharger: Paragon Tier

There are some very tasty possibilities for Paragon Paths for this character:
Kensei - +1 attack, +4 damage, action point for a reroll
Swordmaster - +4 AC/Reflex on an action point, Critical hit regains an Encounter power, Level 20 Daily regains either a Daily or an Encounter power
Shadow Assasin - +4 attack on an action point, enemies that miss with melee attacks take DEX mod damage, Sneak Attack damage increace by 1D6
Anarch of Shyr - free MBA with an action point, +2 attack on Aegis MBA, Level 12 Encounter is a stance that grants +1D12 damage to all weapon attacks for -2 AC
Ghost Blade - Teleport gains CA against next weapon attack target, action point grants insubstantial, +2 teleport distance when insubstantial

I decided to go for Daring Acrobat, a Rogue PP that gives me an extra move action when I use an action point, I do not grant CA when balancing, climbing, or prone, and most importantly: at 16 I get Agile Charge, +1 to AC/Reflex, and after charging I can take any further actions I have available to me. The Level 12 Utility is uninspiring, but the Level 11 and Level 20 attacks are both huge damage and usable on a charge!

Bamf, level 11
Eladrin, Barbarian|Swordmage, Daring Acrobat
Hybrid Talent: Feral Might
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 24 Fort: 23 Reflex: 21 Will: 19
HP: 88 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +14, Perception +10, Acrobatics +14, Athletics +15, Thievery +14, Heal +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +8, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +7, History +8, Insight +5, Intimidate +4, Nature +5, Religion +6, Streetwise +4

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) (retrained to Weapon Proficiency (Double sword) at Level 4)
Level 2: Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
Level 10: Student of the Sword
Level 11: Fey Charge

POWERS
Hybrid utility 2: Agile Recovery
Hybrid encounter 3: Blazing Lunge
Hybrid daily 5: Thunder Hawk Rage
Hybrid utility 6: Armathor's Step
Hybrid encounter 7: Flamewall Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Hybrid utility 10: Mountain Roots

ITEMS
Bestial Leather Armor +2, Vanguard Double sword +2, Cloak of Translocation +2, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)

Level 11: Fey Charge - Here it is, this build's raison d'etre. Our charge now uses a Fey Step teleport and, if the charge attack hits, we keep our Fey Step power!!  Rinse, repeat, joy.  Also retrained Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) to Fey Gambit. We now have Combat Advantage against the enemy that we Fey Step adjacent to (i.e.: Fey Charge).
Acrobatic Action; Paragon Path feature. Spend an action point, get an extra move action in addition to the normal action.
Tumbling Position; Paragon Path feature. No CA when climbing, balancing, or prone.
Wild Tumble Cut; Paragon Path Encounter. Dex attack, but it's a 4[W] charge!

Now the joy of the Feycharger comes to the forefront.  Without using any items or powers beyond our Howling Strike at-will, we can now Mark one enemy with our Aegis, move 6, charge 6 to another enemy (one square normal, then Fey Step 5), get Combat Advantage against it, Melee Basic Attack from Eladrin Swordmage Advance, then complete the charge attack, adding Sneak Attack damage.  Different items start stacking damage like crazy and buffing defenses, Bestial Armor can grant another MBA, if any of these attacks crit it grants another MBA, if we drop the enemy we can charge again as a free action... If that first enemy that we marked with our Aegis attacks anyone but us (and considering how far away we might be, that is very likely) we get to teleport and give him a smack too!

Level 12: Surprising Charge - +1[W] on a charge against a target granting CA, which, thanks to Fey Charge/Gambit, should happen quite a lot.
Flawless Stunt; Paragon Path Utility. Encounter boost to Athletics or Acrobatics.

Level 13: Thunderfall; Barbarian Encounter.  3[W], push and prone, use on a charge. Replaces Blazing Lunge.

Level 14: Roundabout Charge - End a charge in any square adjacent to the enemy. With this and Fey Charge we can pop from one side of an enemy to the other playing solo ping-pong with his head.
+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

Level 15: Thunderfury Rage; Barbarian Daily. Big smack and prone, MBAs on any adjacent enemies that attack.  More free attacks. Replaces Frost Backlash.

Level 16: Feywild Protection - +2 to all defenses after Fey Step.
Spur the Cycle; Barbarian Utility. Once a day take a standard action after dropping an enemy. Yet another attack.
Agile Charge; Paragon Path feature. +1 AC/Reflex on a charge and, even better, we can now take further actions after charging.

Level 17: Shoulder Slam; Barbarian Encounter. Versus Fort with a push and a second attack, usable on a charge. Replaces Avalanche Strike.

Level 18: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) - Back again.
+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

Level 19: Hydra Rage; Barbarian Daily. 4[W] plus dazed, and free MBA whenever we mkae an attack that misses. Replaces Thunder Hawk Rage.

Level 20: Nimble Blade - Another +1 to attack when we have CA. Fey Charge/Gambit etc...
Dramatic Finish; Paragon Path Daily. 4[W] or 6[W] (if bloodied) charge, and if the enemy is still standing, a free MBA.

New Paragon Tier gear to look at:
Translocating Armor (Encounter reaction teleport 3 when an enemy misses you)
Armor of Dark Deeds (Gain concealment whenever we attack an enemy granting CA)
Baldric of Assault (add a slide to our Aegis of Assault)
Totemic Belt (Daily +1 attack/damage until end of encounter)
Belt of Breaching (spend a healing surge and teleport 5 when you reduce an enemy to 0 hp)
Belt of Mountain Endurance (+Strength mod to healing surges)
Chimera Headdress (Daily encounter long resist 15 acid, cold, lightning, or poison after hitting with a charge)
Feystride Boots (if you travel with any elves or drow, +2 squares to Fey Step)
Dimensional Stride Boots (+1 Reflex, Encounter teleport 2)
Fireburst Boots (Daily teleport with burst attack)
Eladrin Boots (+2 squares to any teleport, Daily teleport 10)
Planestrider Boots (split teleports into 2 parts, e.g. to establish a new line of sight, Encounter teleport 10)
Eladrin Ring of Passage (+2 squares to any teleport,Daily additional teleport possibly without line of sight)
Ring of Retreat (+1 square to teleport, Daily teleport, up to 7 allies, to a set location)
Ring of the Protector (Daily teleport unlimited distance to wearer of a matched ring)
Ring of Dimensional Escape (+1 square to teleport, Daily teleport 20 when reduced to 0 hp, and stabilize)
Gauntlets of Destruction (Brutal 1 for melee attacks)
Frost Charger Bracers (enemies adjacent to our hit charge target take Strength mod cold damage)
Badge of the Berserker (charges don't provoke OAs, useful for when you miss a Fey Charge and lose your teleport)
Bralani Cloak (resist 15 psychic, Daily teleport speed + enchantment, don't have to end on the ground, gain fly speed of 8 with hover)
Torc of Power Preservation (Daily regain encounter power)
Thundergod Weapon (charges deal +1d6, +3/4d12 on a crit charge)
Battle Spirit Weapon (become insubstantial when charging, good backup weapon if you lose Fey Charge)
Blade of the Eldrich Knight (melee attacks have a reach 5, extra minor action teleport if we have another item from the set)
Battlemaster's Weapon (Daily regain the use of one encounter power)

The Aspect of the Ram item set from AV2 also grants a +1 bonus to charge attack/damage rolls if you are wearing 2 or more:
Charger's Headdress (+1 attack with charges)
Fleece of Renewal (Con mod temp hp when you charge)

Epic Tier

Epic Destinies worth considering:
Demigod/Chosen - There's a reason so many pick these.
Eternal Seeker - Good if you want to pick up some powers from other classes.
Glorious Spirit - Quarry-like damage boost, more teleporting and free movement, add Reliable to attacks vs your Worthy Foe.
Primal Avatar - More teleporting, +1 to attacks/checks (Strength for us), Daily insubstantial/phasing/flying.
Eternal Defender - More Strength, bigger weapon, reach, auto-crit, damage on a miss stance.

The Chosen power Anthem of Progress is potentially awesome (Daily, burst 10, you and allies score criticals with any at-will on a 16-20 for the encounter), but the role player in me just can't justify a bouncy, teleporting, chaotic, insane Eladrin Barbarian being Chosen of Erathis, Goddess of Civilization. Tongue out Eternal Defender is probably the best option for pure damage output boost.  Eternal Seeker keeps getting better as more (specifically Strength-based) attacks from other classes become available, although it's tough to find something I would want over a Barbarian Rage (maybe some Warden forms to stack with our Rages?).

For my build I decided to go with Primal Avatar. I love the reaction teleporting to keep me very mobile and nearly impossible to lock down, since nearly every attack we have is Strength-based, the Spirit Boon feature is basically an untyped +1 bonus to all attack rolls, and the Level 26 Daily Utility Walk with the Spirits is potentially awesome (insubstantial, phasing, fly, hover).  The only downside is being unable to use Dailies while in spirit form... but I wonder if I first entered a Rage, used the associated attack, would the remaining benefits stay in force once I entered Spirit Form? Are the kickers considered "daily powers" as far as this Utility is concerned? I'm not sure RAW or RAI, but regardless of how you or your DM decide, it's still a pretty sweet power.

Bamf, level 21
Eladrin, Barbarian|Swordmage, Daring Acrobat, Primal Avatar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 16, Dex 20, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 32 Fort: 32 Reflex: 31 Will: 27
HP: 150 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 37

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +20, Perception +16, Acrobatics +20, Athletics +22, Thievery +20, Heal +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +13, History +14, Insight +11, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Religion +12, Streetwise +10

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade) (retrained to Weapon Proficiency (Double sword) at Level 4)
Level 12: Surprising Charge
Level 14: Roundabout Charge
Level 16: Feywild Protection
Level 18: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 20: Nimble Blade
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 13: Thunderfall (replaces Blazing Lunge)
Hybrid daily 15: Thunderfury Rage (replaces Frost Backlash)
Hybrid utility 16: Spur the Cycle
Hybrid encounter 17: Shoulder Slam (replaces Avalanche Strike)
Hybrid daily 19: Hydra Rage (replaces Thunder Hawk Rage)

ITEMS
Marauder's Snakeskin Armor +4, Vanguard Double sword +4, Frost Charger Bracers (paragon tier), Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Horned Helm (paragon tier), Cloak of Translocation +4, Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Ring of Dimensional Escape (paragon tier), Baldric of Assault (paragon tier)

Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery - 19-20 crits
Primal Travel; Epic Destiny feature. Teleport 3 when hit with a melee attack.

Level 22: Fey Step Trailblazer - Now we're taking a friend along for the ride when we Fey Step.
Giant's Might; Swordmage Utility. More power, more reach.  Daily.

Level 23: Crater Fall; Barbarian Encounter. 3[W] charge with a HUGE push effect that knocks the target and any enemy we push it through prone. Replaces Flamewall Strike.

Level 24: Robust Defenses - +2 NADs
Spirit Boon; Epic Destiny feature. +1 bonus to all Strength-based attack, skill, and ability check rolls.
+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

Level 25: Stone Tempest Rage; Barbarian Daily. Huge damage and expanded crit range. Replaces Hydra Rage.

Level 26: Primal Resurgence - Regain primal daily when bloodied, once per day. Great for grabbing a Rage Strike.
Walk with the Spirits; Epic Destiny Utility. Daily transform into "spirit form", insubstantial, phasing, fly and hover. Can't use dailies in spirit form, but now we can face flying enemies as easily as any other.

Level 27: Hurricane of Blades; Barbarian Encounter. Six attacks. Crazy. Replaces Thunderfall.

Level 28: Slaying Action - Deal Sneak Attack damage a second time when using an action point.
+1 Strength +1 Dexterity

Level 29: World Serpent Rage; Barbarian Daily. Big 7[W] smack, usable on a charge, and free MBAs against any adjacent enemies that shift. Replaces Thunderfury Rage.

Level 30: Enduring Rage - While raging we do not fall unconscious when below 0hp.
Eternal Return; Epic Destiny feature. Once per day come back to life and spend 2 healing surges. Always nice to not die.

Bamf, level 30
Eladrin, Barbarian|Swordmage, Daring Acrobat, Primal Avatar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 16, Dex 22, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 42 Fort: 42 Reflex: 39 Will: 36
HP: 203 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +26, Perception +21, Acrobatics +26, Athletics +28, Thievery +26, Heal +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +19, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +17, History +19, Insight +16, Intimidate +15, Nature +16, Religion +17, Streetwise +15

FEATS
Level 12: Surprising Charge
Level 14: Roundabout Charge
Level 16: Feywild Protection
Level 18: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 20: Nimble Blade
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery
Level 22: Fey Step Trailblazer
Level 24: Robust Defenses
Level 26: Primal Resurgence
Level 28: Slaying Action
Level 30: Enduring Rage

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 13: Thunderfall (replaces Blazing Lunge)
Hybrid daily 15: Thunderfury Rage (replaces Frost Backlash)
Hybrid utility 16: Spur the Cycle
Hybrid encounter 17: Shoulder Slam (replaces Avalanche Strike)
Hybrid daily 19: Hydra Rage (replaces Thunder Hawk Rage)
Hybrid utility 22: Giant's Might
Hybrid encounter 23: Crater Fall (replaces Flamewall Strike)
Hybrid daily 25: Stone Tempest Rage (replaces Hydra Rage)
Hybrid encounter 27: Hurricane of Blades (replaces Thunderfall)
Hybrid daily 29: World Serpent Rage (replaces Thunderfury Rage)

ITEMS
Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Ring of Dimensional Escape (paragon tier), Baldric of Assault (paragon tier), Marauder's Starleather Armor +6, Thundergod Double sword +6, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Horned Helm (epic tier), Cloak of Translocation +6

New Epic Tier gear to look at:
Dawn Warrior Armor (Resist 10 acid, cold, fire, lightning, daily reaction damage to melee attacks)
Vorpal (Potentially massive damage boost)
Dancing Weapon (Extra MBA)
Swift-Step Boots (When running we can teleport the last 4 squares. Minor action teleport with another item from the set.)
Boots of Teleportation (Move actions are now teleports)
Far-Step Amulet (+3 to all teleports)
Ring of Windows (When we teleport, the square we leave cannot be entered until the end of our next turn)

Sign In to post comments