High Con + Low Str = ?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm planning on playing a Human Wrathful Invoker of Kord, with an interesting little trait. He is physically tough, but not strong at all. 17 Con, [8-10] Str.

I was wondering what a person with stats like that would look like. I'm quite confused. Any advice?

I'm seeing a tenacious person here. One who isn't necessarily physically imposing, but just keeps getting up. Sort of like a martial artist, but without the ability to hit you back with any sort of stopping power.

A marathon runner.

Game Quote of the Week: Me: "That seems like a great idea for a character, I'm still thinking about what I want to make." Friend: "You've had your character made for the last 15 years, your going to make a dwarf ranger." Me: "I was thinking about some kind of warrior that uses nature magic, maybe a race with a close connection to earth and stone." Friend: *shakes his head*

I've made this sort of character before!Money mouth

Except... mine was an Infernal Warlock.  It's the same basic deal, though.  Maybe your character, like mine, is literally supernaturally tough.  That is, he was average or below average in that regard until he made his pact/covenant, at which point he became the ultra-tough guy he is now.  Granted, that might make more sense with regards to the Hell'lock who attacks with that Con score, but it could fit, right?

I always imagined a guy that had a large (hard, not soft) gut and was generally large.  Not super strong, but tough to put down.  The 'hard headed' biker guy.

Resident Shakespeare

Take your pick:

Rasputinsocrates

Both (Rasputin and Socrates) said to have superhuman constitutions.

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

I don't think they're ideal "Constitution" models considering both died prematurely from murder/poison. Tongue out

Either had low HP/surges and/or failed their saves.

I don't think they're ideal "Constitution" models considering both died prematurely from murder/poison.

From what I read of Rasputin he was killed by a headshot. Yay crits.

Interesting indeed. I like the suggestions!

I'm not entirely sure what he's going to look like yet. I do rather like the idea of the Covenant granting him health...

I don't think they're ideal "Constitution" models considering both died prematurely from murder/poison.

Rasputin was supposedly poisoned, then shot, and then stabbed.  Then, since they thought he couldn't die, they threw his body in a river weighted down with stones.  And if you believe in the disney version, he made a pact with the devil and came back to life. 

Seems to mee like he had a LOT of hp and saved at least twice. also, his toughness would definitely be supernatural, in game terms.

For a high Con and low Str guy, I think of a boxer with a chin of granite, but low punching power.  He might be that great boxer that sticks and moves, and can't be knocked out, but can't punch hard enough for the one punch knockout.  8-10 is average strength, so he can punch, just not hard.  he'd wear you down and absorb everything you threw at him until you were too tired to fight anymore.

for the most part, I always imagine a guy with lots of hp but no mucsel being something of a fatty, but not one that gets windeded easily. Someone who is bigger than a normal person, but unusally physically fit.

I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.

You can look however you want. If you describe yourself as musclebound yet unable to perform feats of strength then explain it as the character not being willing to exert himself in that manner, or not having the knowledge, experience, or intuition to apply his muscles usefully.

If he's of average or below average musculature, he's got a huge pain tolerance and just doesn't quit easily when it comes to physical challenges.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

You can look however you want. If you describe yourself as musclebound yet unable to perform feats of strength then explain it as the character not being willing to exert himself in that manner, or not having the knowledge, experience, or intuition to apply his muscles usefully.

If he's of average or below average musculature, he's got a huge pain tolerance and just doesn't quit easily when it comes to physical challenges.

"I don't do that sweating thing, Neku..."

Take your pick:

(Images)

Two men who learned what dwarves have known for ages; the key to high constitution is a lush, full beard.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.

This really to me sounds like the "Tough biker" kind of guy.  You know those kinda old guys with leathery skin, a little bigger than average, and look like they'd just take punches and laugh them off.

A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

I have a high CON and low STR in real life. I don't think CON is really something you can see though. I think it's more like DEX, and you might be able to get a vague idea just by looking at somebody, but appearance just isn't that reliable when it comes to either.

I actually have a fairly average build (though I am somewhat tall), but I almost never get sick, the three four times I've ever been sick I was still able to function perfectly well, I have a very high pain tolerance, I'm apparently very resistant to the effects of drugs, I have no allergies, I can function perfectly well for a very long time without sleep, the heat and cold don't bother me very much compared to other people, I can hold my breath for a really long time, I've never been hungry enough to complain... I can't run very fast, but I can run at a steady pace for quite a while, and I've never gotten tired of walking before.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

I'm going to have to agree with the idea that a high constitution score has no real bearing on physical appearance. Constitution in D&D deals with qualities which don't necessarily have identifiable qualifiers. What does a high pain tolerance actually look like when it isn't being tested? How about ones ability to fight off infection? Exhaustion?

I hit my foot with a running weed whacker once, because I'm smart like that. I stared at my bleeding, torn foot for a moment before calmly stating "ow" and limping off while blinking back the tears. I've seen friends scream like mad suffering lesser wounds. I get sick once or twice a year while my wife seems like she's got something going on every other month.

Anecdotal evidence aside, all those things which constitution govern truly do not have any definitive physical traits. As such, you can describe your character as you wish. Really, when I think about it, strength really is the only ability score that has anything to do with physical appearance. I think....

~Bizkit

Two examples come to mind:

Homer Simpson. Recall the episode where he was boxing, couldn't kill a fly with a punch, but you could hit him with a surgical 2x4 all day long.

Other example would be my son. He's two, and is completely impervious to both damage and cold. It's freaky.

Rasputin was supposedly poisoned, then shot, and then stabbed.  Then, since they thought he couldn't die, they threw his body in a river weighted down with stones.

...and there is even a version of the story out there that says after having been stabbed, poisoned, shot, and thrown in the river to drown - that he managed to crawl out of the river and die of hypothermia on his way to his murder's house.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

For a high Con and low Str guy, I think of a boxer with a chin of granite, but low punching power.  He might be that great boxer that sticks and moves, and can't be knocked out, but can't punch hard enough for the one punch knockout.  8-10 is average strength, so he can punch, just not hard.  he'd wear you down and absorb everything you threw at him until you were too tired to fight anymore.

Anyone see this episode of the simpsons www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc87ORQ86Mc

If you haven't, Homer is a fat nonathletic guy with little to no boxing skill.  He wins a series of boxing matches vs hobo's because of an abnormally thick skull. The doctor explains this to him as "I could hit you in the head with this 2X4 all day before you felt a thing". His boxing strategy is basically stand there until they tire themselves out, then push them over. I couldn't find a full episode or better video for it.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Self reference: I'm physically tall and very lanky (6'4", 180 lbs). I've never been very strong, but I can keep going for a long time. Road marches and long distance running are my forte. I also get injured a lot due to bad luck and other things, and people are often amazed at how much damage I can take without really caring. Just yesterday I had the following conversation:

"Dude, you're bleeding!"

"Oh? Yeah, it'll stop."

I'm thinking a high-CON but low-Strength guy might be, well, fat.  After all, fat is padding, and padding is armor.  If someone punches you in your stomach, but your stomach is eight inches thick, their punch is going to be slowed down a fair bit by the time it reaches your vitals.  Granted, parts of the body don't get any such padding, but it can always be assumed that the character learns how to protect his vulnerable spots (up until someone rolls a crit).  He'd have a lot of Hit Points because all his fat reserves will hold out a long time against starvation and can be burned for calories when his body needs to heal up; as for poisons, two words: Iron Stomach.  That's how he got that way in the first place, most likely.  "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

...and there is even a version of the story out there that says after having been stabbed, poisoned, shot, and thrown in the river to drown - that he managed to crawl out of the river and die of hypothermia on his way to his murder's house.

This is what I've heard--although I don't think I knew he got out of the river; I thought they had somehow determined that he died of hypothermia as opposed to drowning, but he didn't necessarily need to get out of the river to do that. Either way, pretty resilient.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.

I'm thinking a high-CON but low-Strength guy might be, well, fat.

That would definitely be plausible. You could do that for high-con and high-str too (e.g. sumo), or high-str low-con (e.g.... sumo after a couple years out of the ring but keeps eating heavily?) Not many people play fat characters, which iI think makes it a little more interesting when someone does.

The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.

This is what I've heard--although I don't think I knew he got out of the river; I thought they had somehow determined that he died of hypothermia as opposed to drowning, but he didn't necessarily need to get out of the river to do that. Either way, pretty resilient.

And he reportedly sat up and tried to crawl out of the fire when they cremated him....

Self reference: I'm physically tall and very lanky (6'4", 180 lbs). I've never been very strong, but I can keep going for a long time. Road marches and long distance running are my forte. I also get injured a lot due to bad luck and other things, and people are often amazed at how much damage I can take without really caring. Just yesterday I had the following conversation:

"Dude, you're bleeding!"

"Oh? Yeah, it'll stop."

Immediately after posting this I went to a touch football game and got an eyeful of elbow. Didn't hurt at all, was just uncomfortable, and then my eye swelled nearly shut. Played the rest of the game, just looking sideways more often.

Not that I'm any good, the low strength tended to mean I got flattened.

My current character is a doppleganger(changeling) Invoker with a good amount of constituion and dexterity.

I always invision him as a wiry creature whose anatomy allows him to be more resilient than he has any right to be.

Wiry? Sure.  I love the above posted idea of an old biker type.  Someone who has pounded the whiskey all his life, been in more fights than it looks like he should have survived, and sleeps three hours a night.  But with a con like his, he doesn't even think it's odd. 

Or Fat.  Padding is nice, and while you have to work harder to hold yourself up, it doesn't exactly increase your usable strength. 

In general, I think it is safe to say you can decide from scratch.  Personally, I like the wiry image.

A full 4th Edition Conversion of the Iron Kingdoms Setting bodgedsigniture.gif Complete with Classes, Feats, Equipment and Races
The one thing about sumo wrestlers is that they are loaded with subcutaneous fat, not visceral fat.

It works very differently. Subcutaneous fat provides superior protection against injury because it is, just like the label implies, just below the skin. Importantly, it's outside of the vital organs. Also, it's easier to metabolize into energy.

Visceral fat is distributed around and among the vital organs, so it provides limited or no protection. Also, it's harder to get rid of and it doesn't metabolize as well.

So, the visual concept of sumo wrestlers having low str high con is extremely wrong.

It's the other way around, they are capable of incredible feats of strength, but only for a short time.
Your man (edit as needed for other races) is the thin-to-medium build fellow who is tough as nails defensively but hopeless on offense in a fistfight.  He can take a licking - at worst, by curling up in a ball and waiting for you to get tired and leave, then wobble away - but has to think like James Bond to get a bruiser to get off him.  He will probably gain a personality trait where anybody who challenges him physically is given an alternative offer - a drinking contest or race a mile or swim in seawater or something where steady continuing effort, not short-burst output, is what wins.  He doesn't have to look like a wimp (although he could).  He may enjoy the company of dwarves (a boost-CON-but-not-STR race) because they are a bit more like him.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign