10/22/2009 FtL: "Thursday Bloody Thursday"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Did you mean Thursday morning?

Back when Mark Rosewater was posting a preview article for Zendikar, he mentioned "an instant win combo with a Magic 2010 rare".  I'm pretty sure that was Blood Tribute/Sanguine Bond. ;)

Hmmm...If you have Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet and Glorious Anthem in play...and you sacrifice a 1/1 (made 2/2 by the Anthem)...Does it create a token that's 2/2 (made 3/3 by the Anthem)?  Or do I have to go study the layers again? O_o

Is the title "Thursday Bloody Thursday" referencing the song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2?

A song about the 1972 shooting of unarmed civil rights protesters by the British military?

Probably not appropriate, don't you think?

Is the title "Thursday Bloody Thursday" referencing the song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2?

A song about the 1972 shooting of unarmed civil rights protesters by the British military?

A million radio stations play that song, making money off of it for years, and you're worried about one not-unexpected vampire take-off?  Not to mention all the money U2 made off of it.

I think if you have a problem with the commercialization of that event, you have to talk to Bono.  (But at least for me, I probably never would have heard of the event if not for the U2 song.)

Sorry, I obviously wasn't very clear.

I have no problem with the U2 song.  I think that song is a serious attempt (however successful) to highlight an event with huge cultural and political ramifications.  My point wasn't about commercialization or anything similar.

I just found it a bit off, slipping a pun-style reference to the event into a game column.  To use an obvious example, you wouldn't see a column entitled "9/11.dec" about a deck that uses big fliers and mass removal.

I'm probably being over-sensitive.

A million radio stations play that song, making money off of it for years, and you're worried about one not-unexpected vampire take-off?  Not to mention all the money U2 made off of it.

I think if you have a problem with the commercialization of that event, you have to talk to Bono.  (But at least for me, I probably never would have heard of the event if not for the U2 song.)

My first thought was Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath, and later covered by Anthrax.

I liked the combo at the end of the article, and I thought the Standard Vampire decklist was pretty cool too.  Overall, an enjoyable read.

Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com

Hmmm...If you have Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet and Glorious Anthem in play...and you sacrifice a 1/1 (made 2/2 by the Anthem)...Does it create a token that's 2/2 (made 3/3 by the Anthem)?

Yes, that works.

amusingly, a (superior) sword of the meek combo has ALSO shown up recently in extended...in the same deck as the dark depths combo.

i enjoyed the constructs deck.

I just found it a bit off, slipping a pun-style reference to the event into a game column.  To use an obvious example, you wouldn't see a column entitled "9/11.dec" about a deck that uses big fliers and mass removal.

the actual event of 9/11 (8 years ago) vs a 26 year old super popular song about a much less well known event. also 14 people vs almost 3000 people. there's just no comparison between the two of these.

I'm probably being over-sensitive.

yeah, it's like you're looking a little too hard for controversey.

We need a Blood Tribute (Link) wallpaper!2

I have the cards to build "Bloody Drain" so I'm looking forward to messing around with it sometime. I like the decks overall theme, it would be fun to pull off the "double drain" combo.

We need a Blood Tribute (Link) wallpaper!2

I have the cards to build "Bloody Drain" so I'm looking forward to messing around with it sometime. I like the decks overall theme, it would be fun to pull off the "double drain" combo.

Yo, those giant images ROCK.  I wanted large versions of those for a while now.  (Psst, playmats, please.)

On another note:

"Touching" upon the ideas sucks:-(

Decklists please:-)

The Bloody Drain deck is alot of fun to play, and shd be very customizable. It still loses to finely tuned decks, and has little game against a good control deck, but beats many others. Great job Noel.

Sign In to post comments