10/22/2009 TD: "Legends"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Reading up on dredge has given me an idea for a standard deck using the Hedron Crabs, Bloodghasts, the Esper Sphinxes, and open the vaults.

That's a lot of neat decks! I approve.

Well, I was looking forward to this article, but after reading it I was kinda disappointed.  I was hoping for more of the commentary/analysis that Flores usually provides, while this one seemed like it was mostly a bunch of decklists.  In general I think Flores is one of the best writers on the site, so I would have liked more commentary.

i'm wondering about Lucas siow's deck. it's really sweet (two of the funniest combos put together in one deck), but does he really play one copy of Ghastly Discovery? it seems bad. it should probably be Grim Discovery. am i right?

I want to make a Scapeshift deck...  G/B Scapeshift topping out into Ob Nixilis.  Play Ob.  Untap, Win.

The only thing that kept Ben out of the Finals was the fact that he got paired against Kibs.

The link you provide yourself proves you wrong.  You might want to do some journalistic research next time before writing your article.

www.wizards.com/sideboard/event.asp?even...

i'm wondering about Lucas siow's deck. it's really sweet (two of the funniest combos put together in one deck), but does he really play one copy of Ghastly Discovery? it seems bad. it should probably be Grim Discovery. am i right?

I agree Ghastly Discovery seems awefully odd. Grim Discovery for grave yard tricks for the land and possible creature, Æther Spellbomb draw or bounce creature, or Etched Oracle if he was wanting card draw all seem better.  Imo I can't imagine not playing a few Tolaria West in this deck it seems a natural 3-4 of.

I agree Ghastly Discovery seems awefully odd. Grim Discovery for grave yard tricks for the land and possible creature, Æther Spellbomb draw or bounce creature, or Etched Oracle if he was wanting card draw all seem better. 

It is obviously a mistranscription, and should be Grim Discovery, a card that fits the Dark Depths - Hexmage combo perfectly; if you combo out but lose Marit Lage, you can use that single card to recover both pieces. It's even more at home in a Gifts Ungiven build, since you can get it as one of your four cards along with the combo pieces. Graveyard recursion spells are always part of the classic Gifts setup, as they're what turns the instant into a real tutor, and Grim Discovery is a strong addition to that category of spells. It would be a mistake to not have it in that deck.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

I love how Grove of the Burnwillows just got "made". I seem to remember when Future Sight came out, GoB was bashed as the worst of the weird, new duals, but I knew there was some use for it.

And of course [insert my usual rant about competitive decks being filled with money-lands].

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Yeah, I never played Ben in that tournament - he lost to Josh Smith's anti-Gro deck in the semis. 

That deck really was the sickest ever.