Leading the Attack: Warlord Tactics

96 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leading the Attack:

Warlord Tactics

I'm bored, I love Warlord's, and I've always wanted to know if I had what it takes to make a  handbook.  Well I do. Wasn't sure what format to use, but I guess I'm going to go with what is referred to  as LordDuskBlade's format.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Obviously, these choices will be based on my  opinions, so if you feel that I'm wrong or that I missed something, say so.

I'm going to be breaking this up into separate blogs instead of posting in a message board.   However, I may post it afterward, as I think that may still be the popular format (I know I don't check  blogs unless I have a direct link from the boards).

What Warlords do...

If you ever see a Warlord on the battlefield and it looks like he's not doing anything, you're  wrong.  At any given time, the Warlord is quite busy being awesome.  Even if you want to claim that  Warlords are not the best leader class (you'd be wrong though), he is the only leader so far that can help  the party JUST BY BEING ON THE FIELD!  Combat Leader gives all party members (including  yourself) a +2 bonus to initiative.  All Warlords also have a Commanding Presence bonus that triggers on  an action point, though the effects differ depending on your selected presence.  Each Warlord presence can be played as very different leaders.  Here is a general diagnosis of how each Commanding Presence plays on the field as well as the Action point bonus they confer:

Warlord Presences
Tactical Presence:  Whenever an ally uses an action point to make an attack, they recieve a bonus to that  attack roll equal to 1/2 of your Intelligence Modifier (remember, in D&D we always round down).  Many  argue that this is the strongest action point bonus among the Commanding presences.  This ability is why  most good Tactical Warlords (Taclords) want to start with an 18 Intelligence (sometimes leaving Strength  at a 16), since starting with an 18 will give all allies a +2 bonus on actions points, as well as a higher AC.  This build is all about giving out attack bonuses and extra attacks.  Many of your attacks can  insure a quick defeat for an enemy when you give your team large attack bonuses against them.  An enemy  that confers a +5 attack bonus is going down fast (these bonus' just keep getting bigger and more  abundant).  The Tactical build can also play a bit of a chess game on the field, with a fair amount of  pushing, shifting and sliding powers.  Small note about this build; Commander's strike is a big part of  your arsenal.  Some players just don't have fun when they don't get to make the attack roll.  You have to  be a player that can be just as happy about party success as personal.  Of course, you can try talking to  your DM and asking if you can make the roll for the other character when you use Commander's Strike in  order to sate your dice rolling needs.

Inspiring Presence:  When an ally uses an action point, they regain hit points equal to your Charisma  modifier + half of your level.  Not a useless feature, but the problem is is that an action point should not  be used or saved for when you need a heal.  Not to sound like a strict power gamer here, but action points  are best used for Nova turns.  This bonus offers no help in this situation (not that regaining hit points is  bad).  What I will say for the Inspiring Presence is that it brings with it some pretty strong rider effects  (the effects listed on a power that are only eligible with a certain feature).  This build is the closest thing to  a commited healer among the Warlord presences.  Gives out lot's extra healing and saving throw bonuses.   Inspiring bonuses also tend to be extra damage instead of increased attack bonuses, and attack bonuses  that are given out are generally smaller when compared to the Taclord's.

Resourceful Presence:  Interesting to say the least.  This build generally splits it's ability points between  Charisma and Intelligence, with Strength still being the primary.  When an ally spends an action point to  make an attack, a hit will get a damage bonus equal to one-half your level as well as your Intelligence  modifier.  If the attack misses, the ally gains temporary hit points equal to one-half your level plus your  Charisma modifier.  If an ally uses an action point to attack, he gets a pretty decent bonus either way.   This guy gets some relatively interesting powers, in that most require Intelligence and Charisma to be  optimal.  This build also gets some use out of wielding a heavy thrown weapon, although it is far from  necessary, and not necessarily optimal.  This build offers a mix of everything that the Warlord class can  offer (that's the theme here).

Bravura Presence:  When an ally uses an action point to make an attack, they can CHOOSE to take  advantage of this Warlord's Presence.  If they choose to use it, a successful hit will allow the ally to make  a free basic attack or take a move action for free.  If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to  all enemies until the end of his next turn.  Very powerful action point bonus.  In my opinion, the problem  with the Bravura Warlord, the Bravelord, is the way his powers work, and hence the way you need to play  him.  A few words to describe a Bravelords playstyle: Reckless, Headstrong, Daring, Fearless,  Opportunistic.  If these sound like your play style, this may be the guy you're looking for.

How to Read this Guide

Abbreviations:

Taclord= Tactical Warlord
Bravelord= Bravura Warlord
Inspiralord= Inspirational Warlord
Resourcelord= Resourceful Warlord
CA= Combat Advantage
OA= Opportunitay Attack
BA= Basic Attack
MBA= Melee Basic Attack
RBA= Ranged Basic Attack
Mod= Modifier
CS= Commander's Strike
OS= Opening Shove
WPT= Wolf Pack Tactics
FS= Furious Smash
VS= Viper's Strike
RA= Rousing Assault
AP= Action Point
Crit= Critical Hit

Rating System

This is the Standard Char-op Color Rating System:

Red: Complete and utter junk. This is either completely useless or overshadowed entirely by another, better option.

Purple: Can be useful in certain situations, but generally, powers like this get a response of 'meh.'

Black: This is an OK power; you could do worse. But it could be better.

Blue: Good stuff. You want this, but there's one ranking that's even better.

Sky Blue: Absolutely amazing. If at all possible, get this power.

Nota Bene

Know the difference between Basic Attacks, Ranged Basic Attacks and Melee Basic Attacks.  If a power gives a BA, a character makes an RBA or MBA.  If a power gives a MBA, you get an MBA, a RBA is not an option.  This will be a common thing to look for when reading powers. 

You are not your own ally.  One more time, as this really is quite unclear to the unexperienced.  YOUR ARE NOT YOUR OWN ALLY!  If a power, effect or ability that targets allies does not specifically target you also (it will read something like "You and all allies"), you recieve no benefit from it.

Because of the above statement, keep in mind that most of your power's and abilities do not hand out attack bonuses and the like to you.  Therefore, it is necessary to occasionally go out of the way to pick up something for yourself, wether through a magical item and/or utility powers, to get your own attack bonuses.  Many of your powers offer little to no help to the party if you don't actually hit.  Buffing yourself is often step one to buffing the party.

This is a reiteration of the above statements, but I feel it is important to list, as it is very easy to overlook again.  You don't get any bonus on your action points from your own Commanding Presence ability.  Sorry.

In this guide, I will occasionally describe a power as being a basic attack.  This is only a power comparison, and does not mean the power can be used in place of a basic attack.  A basic attack is 1W+ Str mod, so if that is the damage a hit does, I may say that it is a basic attack.

Do you have what it takes to be a Warlord?

Let's review the races that can make a good Warlord.  Unlike most guides, I'm not gonna bother with  races that don't belong anywhere near this class.  Here we go:

Races
Dragonborn- They're a strong race in general due to thier racial power, +1 to attack rolls when your  bloodied and an increased healing surge value.  Their stat bumps make them Sky Blue for all presences  with the exception of Tactical.  Some would argue that this exception is not legitmate though, as their is a  niche build that messes around with draconic arrogance and Opening Shove.  Great Warlord Material  here.

Eladrin- Sky Blue for Taclords only.  Offers some interesting feats and Paragon Path for Tactical Lords.  Fey Step is very useful on a Taclord, and can be abused by combining with Fey Charge and/or Fey Tactics.  This is the most well known and exceptable reason to start with a secondary stat higher than your primary (most eladrin taclords start with a 16/18 Str/Int).

Half-Elf- Best for Inspiring and Bravura Warlords.  Gives access to Human and Elf feats, as well as the diletante power.  This race would not be Sky Blue if it weren't for the Versatile Master feat.

Halfling- Bumps Charisma and Dex, so it's a decent choice for Bravura and Inspiring Warlords.  Oddly, it's a fitting race for some Bravelords, with racial abilities and an encounter power that really help the build.

Human- I value them at Blue here, but that is widely disagreed upon.  They do have a lot going for them here though.  Extra at-will, +1 to all NADs (which is argued to make up for the second stat bump, extra skill, extra feat (that's a biggie) as well as the option to choose where your single stat bump goes to (double edged sword).  They also have acess to some pretty strong feats, and some people are a fan of adroit explorer, though I haven't looked at it yet much.

Tiefling- Fine choice for any Warlord, but does best as a Resourceful Warlord.  Decent racial powers and a good stat bump make him a very strong choice all around.

Deva- No business being anything except a Tactical Warlord.  The lack of a Strength bump hurts, and Wisdom is useless for most builds, although this guy would work very well for a polearm Taclord.  I'm actually surprised I haven't seen a few of these builds.  I bet they'll get some feat support soon.  Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes is a very strong power for a Taclord too, as his accuracy would be slightly subpar on this build, and his hitting is very beneficial to the entire party.  Astral Resistance is likely to see a bit of use too I'm sure. 

Gnome- Same stat bumps as the Tiefling, but the powers aren't as good, especially with this class.  Fade away is a big part of the Gnome's power, and being invisible is very bad for a Warlord (if he care's about his party members).  It’s also been pointed out that Gnomes have a speed 5…  That means that if you are gonna wear heavy armor (which is most presences other than Tactical), you are gonna have a speed 4.  That’s unacceptable.

Goliath- Not a bad choice, just nowhere near optimal.  Strength bump makes him a decent choice for any presence, and Constitution never hurts.  Would be a good choice for a player that wants to be a Warlord, but still want's to deal some decent damage.

Half-Orc- See Goliath

Changeling- See Gnome (changing shape may remove your abilities that only work when party has sight of you, DM decision)

Drow- No Strength bump.  Once again, hiding from everyone is bad for a Warlord.

Genasi-  Only Race that bumps Strength and Intelligence.  Great pick for Tactical and Resourceful Warlords.  Earthsoul is generally hailed as the better manifestation for Warlords.

Minotaur- Same as Goliath and Half-Orc.  Decent choice for Bravura Warlords, maybe Blue here.

Shadar-Kai- Not bad for a Taclord...  You're better off as an Eladrin.

Warforged- Decent and interesting choice for any presence.

Warlord Tools

A Warlord’s tool is his weapon, whether it be to strike a foe himself, or to provide an opportunity for an ally to do so.  Lets see some of the Weapons a Warlord does well with.

Long Sword/ Bastard Sword- Great weapon choice for a warlord.  Nothing fancy, just a heavy blade, which opens up Heavy blade opportunity and Heavy Blade Mastery (which is unfortunately about the only Weapon Mastery most Warlords have any chance of or business taking).  Any weapon with a +3 proficiency is a great choice for a Warlord.  Spending the feat for the Bastard Sword upgrade is totally up to the player, as more damage is only good, but a purely leading Warlord may not have room for this expense.

Double Sword- Taking a double weapon is completely dependant on your build.  If you want to take Twin Strike or take the TWF feats, then a Double Sword may be a good choice for you.  However, if you are playing a standard Warlord with no need for a second weapon, you’re better off spending the Proficiency feat on a Bastard Sword or Heavy Shield.  Edit: Recently errated to remove the Heavy Blade Property as well as changing the weapon to deal d6 damage on both sides.  Not a really big deal for Warlords, although it is enough to make it less appealing and drop it’s rating down.

Drow Long Knife- It’s a +3 proficiency Off-hand Heavy Thrown Heavy Blade.  It may take a feat and only do d6 damage, but you won’t find another Heavy Thrown weapon like this.  Only advisable for Resourcelords that choose a lot of powers that require a heavy thrown weapon.  I don’t suggest picking this up just because you can throw it without having powers that require it.

Falchion- You don’t need a two handed weapon.  You’re much better off having your shield in your off hand.  If you are focused only on damage though, this is a strong weapon that requires no feat. High Crit.

Fullblade- Same as Falchion, but requires a feat.

Glaive- the Glaive is a popular weapon because it has reach and counts as a heavy blade and a spear.  The two big downsides are that it only has a +2 proficiency and requires 2 hands to wield.  I don’t suggest this weapon, as it takes a significant investment into Wisdom and Dex, which are tertiary stats for a Warlord, which they really can’t afford. 

Greatspear- Fantastic weapon for any warlord.  This weapon is exceptional for a Taclord, especially the Eladrin variety, due to the Eladrin Soldier feat (which will give proficiency and a damage bonus for this weapon).  You can’t wield a shield with this weapon, but reach will help with that.

Greatsword- See Falchion, no High Crit though.

Longspear- Identical to the Great Spear, but has a +2 proficiency.  If you want this type of weapon, you must take the Greatspear, the +1 to hit is essential for any Warlord.

Parrying Dagger- Enchanting this with the Rhythm Blade enchantment is a nice alternative to the heavy shield (less of a check penalty).  If you want to eek out every bit of AC possible, then this can combine with the TWF feat and Two Weapon Defense for a total of a +3 bonus to AC coming from your offhand.  Not for all builds.

Spiked Chain- If you want a double weapon and reach, this is the only way to go.  Unfortunately, Warlords don’t get a whole lot of use from flails.

Whip- If you have Commander’s Strike, buy a whip.  I didn’t say get whip proficiency, just have one in your inventory.  Even if you are not proficient with this weapon, you can still use the reach property to target an enemy for Commander’s strike.  Annoying little trick that’s useful when there’s not a lot of room around the big bad.

Warlords Tools: Magical Items

Weapons

Magic weapons are so build dependant, I'm not even gonna bother color rating these.  I'm just going to list Magical Items that are useful in some or most Warlord builds, with a brief discription.

Farbond Spellblade (AV2): Not an optimal weapon for any build, but useful in any.  Great for Resourcelords who want a damaging weapon and the ability to use the Heavy Thrown Weapon Powers.

Goblin Totem (FRCG): If you're a Smallord, this is a nice damage bonus.

Hungry Spear (AV2): Farbond Spellblade, but better.  Requires a Spear though.

Battlecrazed Weapon (AV): I'm sure a Bravelord can put this to good use.

Battlemaster's Weapon (AV): Regaining an encounter power once a day can be useful.

Blade of the Eldritch Knight (AV2): Essentially reach 5 for most of your attacks.  You can find some use in this weapon.

Flaming Weapon (PHB): This is probably the weapon you want if you are playing a TieflingLord.

Inescapable Weapon (AV): When you miss, you get an attack bonus against the same creature next turn that stacks until you hit.  Accuracy bonuses are always a good thing for any Warlord.

Inspiring Weapon (AV): Small damage buff for a round to all allies as a daily.  Not a bad choice, but you can probably do better.

Jagged Weapon: Great choice for most Warlords since very few builds can afford a Weapon
Mastery feat.

Radiant Weapon (AV): If you wanna deal some extra damage yourself, this is a good way to go.

Subtle Weapon (AV): Extra damage with CA.  Good damage bonus for yourself.

Tenacious Weapon (AV): Encounter power that allows you to roll twice for an attack your about to make.  You have to use this before making an attack roll, but an encounter "double roll" is very useful in getting off your dailies and important encounter powers.

Vanguard Weapon (AV): Great weapon if you plan to charge around a bit.  Has a great damage buffing Daily power for Charismalords too.

Withering Weapon (AV): Gives a -1 AC debuff every time you hit (save ends), and it stacks.  If you're party hits mostly against AC, this is a very useful weapon to have.  The vast majority of your attacks hit AC also, so this helps you a bit too.

Armor

I won't be including any Cloth or Leather Enhancements.  As of now, I haven't heard of any Leather or Cloth only Magic Armor good enough for a Warlord to lower his AC.

Agile Armor: If you're wearing Heavy Armor and have a few points in Dex, this is a good looking armor.  More AC never hurts.

Armor of Durability: Increases your Healing Surge value.  Considering we'll most likely have low HP and few Surges, this is never a bad thing to have.

Armor of Dwarven Vigor: Use your Second Wind as a minor once a day, with additional healing.  Not bad when you aren't the type to use Second Wind normally. Heavy only.

Armor of Enduring Health: Use Second Wind twice per combat.  If you're a Dwarflord, this is extremely useful.  You still shouldn't play a Dwarlord though... Hide, Chain only.

Battle Harness: Quickdraw with an Initiative Item bonus equal to the enhancement level.  The quickdraw effect is generally not a big bonus for Warlords, but anyone can put this to good use.  Light Armor only.

Bolstering Armor: Using your Second Wind allows all of your allies to spend a Healing Surge.  Pretty useful if you don't have a lot of healing in your arsenal. Heavy only.

Dwarven Armor: Free Surgeless Heal once a day, with a bonus to endurance checks.  It's a heal just for us, and it doesn't use one of our precious Surges, relatively cheap too.  Heavy only.

Eladrin Armor: Great for Fey Charging Builds, and a good choice for any Chainmail wearer as it removes the armor's speed penalty.  Downside- Chain only...

Exalted Armor: A great bonus to heals, in the Heroic Tier... Turns your mass heals into massive mass heals.  Unfortunealty, the bonus this armor provides does not increase with higher enhancement levels.  Also, Chain only.  This is a great Armor to have in the heroic tier, but in Paragon, you should get some Scale armor and a better Magic Enchantment on it.

Healer's Armor: Adds the armor's enhancement level to heals you make.  If you're doing a lot of healing, this is gonna add up fast. Hide, Chain only.

Marauder's Armor: Excellent armor if you plan to charge around a bit.  Gives an AC bonus for a round when you charge, and has a daily heal or Saving Throw bonus when you charge.  Leather, Hide only.

Spectral Armor: Ignore Plate armors speed and check penalty.  Nice.  Also has a daily power that gives you phasing and insubstantial until the end of your turn.

Tactician's Armor: Adds 1 to your Int mod.  Awesome.  Generally not necessary for the typical Taclord, this armor is very useful for balancedlords.  Armor of choice for Taclords that go for Supreme Inspiration and Resourcelords.  Chain only.

Verve Armor: Bonus to Death Saving Throws and a Daily power that automatically turns the result of a saving throw you just made to 20.  Fine for any Warlord, but I know there are some Bravura builds that could make great use of this armor.  Plate, Scale only.

Arm Slot

Not too much popped out at me here... Honestly, I'd just give my Warlord the Iron Armbands of Power.
Iron Armbands of Power (AV): So it doesn't buff your allies or heal anyone.  It's a nice raw damage bonus for yourself.  If you attack, your damage matters.  Don't overlook these.

Trollhide Bracers (AV): Daily regen power that lasts until end of encounter or below 0 hp.  Regen is always nice.

Feet Slot

Acrobat Boots (PHB): Stand up from Prone as a minor action.  Don't overlook these.  Very inexpensive item that can prove useful long into your career.

Battlestrider Greaves (PHB): +1 bonus to speed when wearing Heavy Armor.  These can be useful through the Paragon Tier.

Boots of Eagerness (AV): Free move action once an encounter.  Very useful, but you can probably do better.  On the other hand, an extra action can be invaluable during a Nova turn...

Boot's of Quickness (AV): +3 Reflex Defense. So maybe you don't care about your movement that much, and/or you have it taken care of already.  Bumping Reflex is extremely valuable.

Boots of Sand and Sea (AV): +1 bonus to speed in light armor.  Not bad, but you can probably do better.  A +1 to speed isn't that big a deal when you're not suffering a Heavy Armor penalty.

Boots of Speed (AV): +2 speed bonus and a daily power that allows you to take a move action for a minor.  At this level, you can do better.

Boots of Teleportation (AV): Gain a teleport speed equal to your regular speed.  Teleporting is awesome, being able to do it all the time can certainly come in handy

Eladrin Boots (PHB): +2 speed to all teleports and comes packed with an extra daily teleport.  Nice item for an Eladrin to have.

Spark Slippers (AV2): Deal Charisma mod lightning damage to any creature that moves adjacent to you.  How can that not be useful?

Zephyr Boots (AV): Gain a fly speed equal to your speed if you aren't wearing Heavy Armor.  Flying is cool.

Basic Tactics

Time to analyze our at-wills, the backbone of our offense.

Brash Assault- Basic attack that allows the target to attack you back, with CA.  If the target chooses to make the attack, an ally can make a basic attack the target with CA as a free action.  This power is completely dependant on your DM's playstyle.  In general, it's very unreliable.  There is a style feat that turns this into a decent attack, but it still suffers from the above analysis.

Commander's Strike- A Taclord's bread and butter.  By it's self this power is strong, allowing you to use the power of the big hitter next to in lieu of your own, while giving a bonus to the hit.  The fun part about this attack is that it allows you to get more mileage out of your attack bonuses that you're dishing out.  Most bonuses you give out last until the end of your next turn.  This allows you to give the ally a turn using the bonus, and then you can use commander's strike on your next turn to give him an attack using the bonus again.  Obviously, action points extend this usefulness.  Even without a decent or high Intelligence modifier, this power is still a good choice for any Warlord build.

Furious Smash- Target's Fortitude and only deals Str mod damage on a hit.  A successful hit does allow you to confer a power bonus to the next attack and damage roll against the target equal to your Cha mod t0 an ally that is adjacent to you or the target.  This bonus is lost if not used by the end of the allies next turn.  I haven't run the numbers on this power, but my belief is that this is a good power to use to set up an encounter or daily, but not as bread and butter like Commander's Strike.  The fact that it targets Fort can be a good reason to use it on enemies with lower Fort defenses.

Inevitable Wave- BA that can be used on a charge.  If you hit with the attack, an ally who charges the target gets to add your Int mod to damage on the charge.  Charging is a common Warlord move, so this can be put to pretty decent use.

Opening Shove- Targets Reflex.  On a hit, you deal no damage but can push the target one square.  You can then allow an ally to shift a number of squares equal to you Int mod, or he can make a MBA agains the target.  In general, this power shouldn't be used to grant the MBA, as that is what CS does, but you have to actually hit with this power.  If you want this power to help get an ally out of a situation or into CA, then WPT is the safer bet, although it is only a 1 square shift.  This is good for the Warlord that likes to play the chess game, but other than that, it's not really worth taking.  I've heard of the niche build with dragonborns, but i'm still not rating this higher because of that.

Rousing Assault- I like this power.  This is great for any leader with a high Cha mod, which always fits the Inspiralord.  My reasoning for Sky Blue on this is mainly because of the Warlord's other at-wills.  An Inspiring Warlord will probably take WPT.  Inevitable Wave and Opening Shove are horrible choices here.  CS isn't optimal here (still not bad though).  Viper's Strike and Brash Assault are situational and DM dependant.  Furious smash deals paltry damage and only effects one attack roll.  Generally, an Inpiralord's best choices are FS, RA, and WPT.  I don't like WPT, I most characters can shift on their own.  FS is not better than your own BA every turn.  RA adds your Cha mod to any and all warlord healing power's you use before the end of your next turn.  This stacks.  You can set up a "Nova healing" round by using this attack two rounds in a row and/or mixing in an AP to give a 2x-3x Cha mod bonus to all your healing.  If you happened RA on your last turn, then little Billy right next to you gets a booboo, you can use RA on your next turn and use inspiring word with a 3x Cha mod bonus (I said 3x because you should have Improved Inspiring Word feat if you're a Cha based Warlord).  If you have this power and WPT, just use this power any turn you don't need WPT, and you are always ready for better healing.

Viper's Strike- BA with an Effect (Effects trigger regardless of the attack hitting or missing).  The effect on this attack is DM dependant.  This is not necesarily a weakness though.  This power can be used tactically.  I'm pretty sure that enemies are aware of effects from powers on them, so that's how I'm analyzing this.  Helps keep an enemy on you unless it want's to eat an OA.  Helps present a lose-lose situation.  Fighters can make this power very useful.

Wolf Pack Tactics- BA that let's an ally adjacent to you or the target shift 1 square before the attack.  My problem with this is that most allies can take care of themselves, and can generate CA relatively easily.  I will say that it is particularly less useful for Taclords, since from a damage standpoint this attack is not as good as CS.  Your own BA with CA is almost always inferior to your ally's BA with your Int mod to damage without CA.  I'm gonna take a lot of crap for rating this blue...

My Warlord Handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21004845/Leading_the_Attack_Warlord_Tactics My Feycharging Taclord build: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21817401/My_Eladrin_Feycharging_Tactical_Warlord

Advanced Maneuvers:

Heroic Tier

Here, we’re going to look at the Warlords Encounter Powers that he can learn from levels 1-10.

Level 1 Encounter Powers

Diabolic Stratagem- Useful for the Warlord that wants to play part-time defender.  Attempts to entice an enemy into attacking you in order to grant an attack to an ally.  Some people like this, but it can end up being pretty DM dependant.

Guarding Attack- Not bad, but AC buffs tend to simply make the target attack another character, making the best use of this power to stave off attacks to one ally for a round.  Much better choices here.

Hammer and Anvil- One of the better powers for Cha based Warlords.  A BA from you that targets Reflex that allows a buffed attack from an ally.  Pretty good.

Hammer Formation- Requires a heavy thrown weapon.  Heavy weapons are generally weak and/or innaccurate.  This power is mediocre for most warlords, and acceptable on a Resourcelord.

Leaf on the Wind- Allows you or an ally to swap places with the target on a hit.  Lame!  We can do so much better, this one is hard to even look at.

Luring Focus- This power is only considered Black for Bravelords, and less for the others.  You can use this on a charge, and a pull of 3 or 4 can be pretty useful.

Myrmidon Formation- Requires a shield.  2W hit that as an effect gives all adjacent allies 5 THP at the start of your next turn.  Pretty good, fair amount of THP at this level.

Nimble Footwork- Pretty lack luster...  1 square shifts aren't very impressive.  If you really like playing the chess master though, this power can be somewhat useful.

Warlord's Favor- Prime pick for level one for a Taclord (it's a no contest).  Rates Blue for the other Warlord builds at this level for it being the only power at this level to offer an attack bonus.  Most Taclords will be giving out a +5 Attack bonus with this right from level one.  This power is so good, you'll probably keep it until Epic Tier.

Cooridnated Offensive- This is BARELY better than Wolf Pack Tactics, so why would you take this is your encounter power?  There are so many better choices here.  Very disappointing start for the new Class Acts power section (it’ll get better).

Provocative Order- This one isn’t much better than Commander’s Strike in most cases.  You give up your attack to allow an ally to charge and deal 1W extra damage.  So many better choices here.

Level 3 Encounter Powers

Bloody Ending- Strong hit, 2W +Str and Int mods.  Good choice for Resourcelords as they allow all allies a +2 to attack rolls to the enemy until the end of your next turn.  This would be Sky Blue if you didn't have to use this on bloodied creatures.

Dicey Predicament- You must be flanked to use this.  2W +str, and a hit will have all enemies within 5 squares of you grant CA to your allies until the end of your next turn.  Not bad, it's just not great.  Bravelords get to apply Cha mod to the hit.

Flattening Charge- Lousy if you aren't a Bravelord, in which case it is ok.  If you aren't a Bravelord built for charging, you can do better than this.

Follow Me In- This is somewhat dependant on your party make-up and play style.  Decent hit and can be used on a charge.  Speed bonus can be useful.  I would only suggest this for a Taclord though, for the extra effect he gets with it.

Hold the Line- BA that automatically grants a AC bonus to adjacent allies and protects them from forced movement until the start of your next turn.  Not great.

Inspiring War Cry- 2W hit that automatically hands a saving throw to an ally within 5.  Situational and lack luster, but granting saving throws is good stuff. 

Shielding Retaliation- A class with bad HP shouldn't be taking hits for an ally.  Very situational, as this only works on opportunity attacks.  Takes coordination to use for a mediocre attack.

Steel Monsoon-  The choice for Taclords that don't want Inspiring War cry.  Good thing to have if you didn't take WPT.

Warlord's Strike- Great pick for Inspiralords, mediocre for others.  Damage bonuses still beat out attack bonus at this level.

Devastating Offensive- A sorely needed power at this level for Taclords.  For non Taclords or Resourcelords, this is inferior to Hammer and Anvil.

Road to Victory- Provides an ample amount of movement to an ally (more if you use Inspiring Word on them afterward).  Not a bad power, but you can do much better.

Level 7 Encounter Powers

Deadly Returns- Much better choices.  Ok for a wannabe defender though.

Lion's Roar- Heals a surge regardless of whether you hit or miss.  Cha bonus to HP healed for Inspiralords.

Phalanx Assault- AC and Reflex boost to adjacent allies for a turn on a hit.  Resourcelords get it regardless.  Requires a shield.  Not very good.

Provoke Overextension- Bad for anyone but Bravelords.  Haven't done any math on this attack, so I think I'm leaving it at Blue.

Sacrificial Lure- You pick one ally to add your Cha mod to his next attack roll.  You automatically take a -2 penalty to AC.  You can do better.

Stirring Force- Saving throws to allies within two squares of you.  Resourcelords allow allies to add his Int mod.  Blue for non Resourcelords.

Sunder Armor- Allows hits against the target to crit on an 18-20 for one round.  Not bad, but how much crit optimization is in the party at this level?

Surprise Attack- BA that gives an ally within 5 a BA against any target.  Taclords give a bonus to the BA equal to Int mod.  Blue for not Taclords.

Suround Foe- Totally lame.  It's a little bit better than WPT for a level 7 encounter power...

War of Attrition- So, it may not enable a total Nova turn like Taclords can, but this is still a fantastic bonus for Inspiralords.  Black for other Presences.

Wild Runner Strike- Surrounds target with difficult terrain and allows your allies to ignore difficult terrain.  Ok move for a chess master or defender, but there are much better powers to pick from.

Withering Courage- Not a lot of Warlord Attack debuff powers, that come to mind, so this is somewhat unique.  Still, I’d pass on this for anyone but a Bravelord (there is a rider for Inspiring also, but they have a much better choice here), as they allow adjacent allies to deal Cha mod extra damage to the enemy.  For the Bravelords though, they are probably better off taking Provoke Overextension and pairing it up with Diabolic Stratagem.

Reserve Tactics:

Heroic Tier

This is where we check out our Daily power selection from levels 1-10

Level 1 Daily Powers

Bastion of Defense- Very good choice for any Charisma based Warlord.  Don't laugh at the +1 defense bonus, it lasts until the end of the encounter.  I've been there, it helps.  5+Cha mod THP to allies within five squares is a big plus too.

Calculated Assault- This power is pretty good for Intelligence based Warlords that aren't of the Tactical Presence.  Taclords are gonna do much better with Lead the Attack.

Concentrated Attack- Automatically grants a free BA to an ally with a bonus to attack and damage equal to your Int mod.  Good for Intelligent Warlords, but Taclords have a far better choice.

Fearless Rescue- It's an immediate reaction, which is nice, but we have better ways to heal our allies...  Points for flavor.

Lead by Example- I think this may be better if you miss with it...  Dishing out auto CA is really weak for a warlord, he can do so much more.

Lead the Attack- If you're an intelligent Warlord, you're gonna hold onto this one for a long time.  When you hit with this, that baddie is good as dead.  Pretty pathetic on a miss though, so... make sure you hit.

Pin the Foe- 3w and automatically prevents the target from shifting if at least 2 allies (you count as an ally here) are adjacent to him.  This power ranges from mediocre to good based on your DM's play style.  Still a 3W hit that pins something, we just have better choices.  Chess master move for sure.

White Raven Onslaught- 3W power that allows ally sliding for the encounter.  Only allows sliding of adjacent allies though.  Some people love this, but I'm not seeing it.

Lamb to the Slaughter- Grants a charge attack to three allies within five squares.  Very good power.  Although you are required to hit to grant the attacks here, it is against will and is reliable.  Not a must pick, but a very strong choice for any non-Taclord (as it still doesn’t quite stand up to Lead the Attack).

Level 5 Daily Powers

A Rock and a Hard Place- Stance power that allows you to deal Int mod damage to any enemy that misses an ally with an attack.  Only worth taking for a Taclord, since he gets to add 1W to the damage dealt.  Especially good when sitting next to a defender.

Pike Hedge- Requires a reach weapon and allows you to deal Str Mod to enemies that aproach you until end of encounter.  Much better choices

Scent of Victory- Allows all allies within 5 to make a MBA to any Bloodied enemy adjacent to them.  Bloodied enemies only makes this too situational.

Situational Advantage- Requires a Heavy Thrown weapon.  Allows you and allies to deal extra damage for 1 round with CA, bonus to Resourcelords.  Much better choices.

Staggering Spin- Close burst 1, enemies only, vs Fort.  BA with push 1.  If the target is then adjacent to any allies, they can make an MBA as an opportunity action against the target.  Pretty good.  If you like the chess game, this is for you.

Stand the Fallen- The power Charisma based power that is so good, even the Taclords take it.  3W hit that as an effect lets all allies within 1o squares spend a surge with a cha mod bonus to hp healed.  Pretty much the power any Warlord should take at this level (it's why A Rock and a Hard Place didn't make Sky Blue).

Turning Point-  Gives a saving throw... This is a daily power!  Your encounter powers can do this.  Very lame.

Villain's Nightmare- Allows you to stick down the target for the encounter.  Good power if you wanna play defender.

Bait the Hook- Not a bad power, but there are better choices here.

Rousing Call- Lets prone allies stand up.  This power may be misworded, otherwise, it is nearly useless.

Level 9 Daily Powers

Blood Designation- Gives ongoing damage and CA to allies.  It's a damaging power for Inpiralords, but that's not our game.

Caging Glaive- Requires reach weapon.  Lame power that requires you to stick to one target. 

Denying Mark- Gives out a save ends mark.  While marked they can't rechare powers.  Bravelords deny action points while marked.  Lame for any warlord, even the wanna be defenders.

Disheartening Flurry- Close burst one for enemies only.  Gives a -2 penalty to saving throws until the end of the encounter.  Rates much higher depending on party make-up.

Iron Dragon Charge- Must use on a charge.  3W hit.  As an effect, an ally of choice can charge any target you do as an Immediate reaction.  This can hand out a fair amount of attacks at this level.  Fantastic for Chargelords.  Works Great with Flattening Charge and Inevitable Wave.

Knock them Down- 3W hit that knocks prone.  Allows every ally within 10 squares to move 3 and make an MBA that does no damage but knocks prone.  Pretty good power.  Probably the better choice for any Warlord that doesn't like charging.

Stay on Target- Requires a heavy thrown weapon, Ranged 3.  Immediate Reaction when enemy enters range.  Each ally within 2 squares can make an RBA against the target as an Immediate reaction with Int mod bonus to damage.  Sky Blue on party capable of RBA's.

Warlord's Recovery- It's a good power, but I'm not a fan of it.  Great for longer battles.

White Raven Strike- Gives out 15 THP to one or two allies.  Cha bonus if you dropped the ally.  At this level, you can do better.

Awakened Wrath- This actually seems like a mediocre encounter power…  The ally needs to be next to at least 3 enemies to make this worthwhile, and has to be in this situation at the moment you are bloodied, which is too situational for my taste. There are better choices here.

Teachable Moment- While the effect on this does last the rest of the battle, it is a relatively small bonus.  These bonuses add up, but most Warlord strategies revolve around setting up a few well placed big attacks, which this power is not designed for.  Once again, this effect does last for the encounter, so I may be wrong here, as I have no info or feedback on this power.  You’re still probably better off with Iron Dragon Charge or Knock Them Down though.

Non-Offensive Maneuvers:

Heroic Tier

This is where we discuss the Utility Powers your Warlord can learn from level's 2-10

Level 2 Utility Powers

Adaptive Stratagem- Pretty good effects, good for any Warlord build, but best for Resourcelords, as they get both bonuses.  Good pick for Taclords too, they don't get as many bonuses to damage as they do attack power.

Aid the Injured-Standard Action that allows you or an adjacent ally to spend a surge.  It's a bad power, but may be the best choice for some parties.

Covering Maneuver- Pretty lousy power.  Gives a mark, but thats about it.  Triggers on using second wind...

Crescendo of Violence- I would take this power for the name alone if it weren't so lousy.  No build should ever take this.

Heroic Effort- Must be used when you're bloodied.  Gives allies a bonus to damage rolls equal to your Cha mod until your no longer bloodied.  You also get THP equal to your level + your Cha mod.  This is a very good choice for any Cha based Warlord, and only gets better when you reach higher levels.  Too bad it's a daily.  Plays especially well if you're a Dragonborn.

Inspired Belligerence- Gives CA to all allies against a target already granting CA.  Inspiralords give allies a bonus to damage rolls for a round equal to their CHA mod. This may be an encounter power, but I think Heroic Effort is still the prime choice for any Cha based Warlord at this level.

Knight's Move- Gives an ally your Move action.  I don't like it, but the Chess players do.  Remember this is a ranged attack (provokes OAs).

Motivated Recovery- Allows re-use of Second Wind and gives a Cha mod bonus to next attack roll.  Only useful in a party with at least one dwarf.

Reckless Opportunity- An Initiative check to gain CA, at the possibilty of granting CA.  Very Very lame.

Repositioning Command-  Allows allies to shift 1.  It's a daily power.  Pretty lame for that, compared to Knight's Move.  You can do much better here.

Rub Some Dirt On It- Bloodied ally gains THP equal to 5+ Cha mod.  Pretty good, nice flavor text, lol.

Shake It Off- Dishes out a saving throw with a Cha mod bonus.  Don't need too many saving throws yet, but this will be a good choice to retrain for.

Level 6 Utility Powers

Dragon's Tenacity- You and each bloodied ally in burst 5 gets a +2 bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn, +3 if you're Dragonborn.  Good bonus, but most imortantly, it's one of the few powers that works for you too.  Anything that helps you hit with a daily or encounter power is very important.

Encouraging Stance- Stance power that hands out THP to a bloodied ally on a hit with your melee attacks.  Bravelords are Sky Blue with this because they can grant the THP even on a miss. 

Forward Observer- Allows an ally to ignore the attack penalty for covor or concealment as minor action.  This is pretty situational, but it is an at-will.

Guide the Charge- This is ok if your party charges a lot.  There's just much better choices here though.

Guileful Switch- The evolved Knight's Move...  If giving your turn to an ally is better than you taking a turn, then you're not a very good leader.  It's not useless, but I don't put much into playing with initiative.

Inspiring Reaction- Immediate reaction when you or an adjacent ally takes damage.  Allows you or an adjancent ally to spend a surge with cha mod bonus.  Standard healing power, but thats not the kind of leader a Warlord has to be.

Phalanx Formation- Stance that offers a small AC and Feflex bonus if you are using a shield and an adjacent ally is using a shield.  Bad.

Polearm Vault- Allows you to move through an enemy (while still provoking OAs).  Lame.

Quick Step- Daily that increases one ally's speed by 2 for the encounter.  This is only gonna be semi useful for a round or two in most encounters.  We can do more for our allies than this.

Rousing Words- 2 Surge Healing! Inspiralords add 5 + Cha mod.  This is a very strong encounter heal, very hard choice not to take this one.

Stand Tough- Daily that allows all allies and yourself in burst 5 to regain 10 + Cha mod hit points.  Surgeless healing always helps...

Tactical Supervision- Immediate Interrupt that allows you to add Int Mod to attack roll of triggering BA, bull rush or charge.  I was about to rate this black until I noticed it was an Interrupt.  If it's not clicking, that means that this power is only going to used when you know the attack will hit only with your bonus, which is pretty unique to the Warlord, even though this only effects one BA.

Tempting Target- Blue for Bravelords only.  CA is pretty easy to get, you don't need to waste your actions and power choices to give it out, especially at a risk to yourself.

Leader’s Intercession-You shouldn’t really be taking hits for your allies, as your HP is about as low as it gets.  If you wanna heal someone, take Rousing words here.

Stand Fast- Allies can’t be moved for a round, and you can pick up an ally if you use inspiring word on them.  Far better options to pick up here.

Level 10 Utility Powers

Bolstering Shout- Cha mod bonus to Second Wind to all allies in Burst 10.  Targets can choose to use Second Wind as a minor, but gain no defense bonus.  Pretty good mass heal, but doesn't target you and uses Second Wind, which is a resource not often used all the time, but is still a resource.  Encounter mass heal though.

Defensive Rally- Each ally in burst 5 spends a surge, gets a +2 power bonus to all defenses and makes a saving throw.  Awesome heal, but it is a daily power.  If you feel you need a mass heal every encounter, go Bolstering Shout.

Ease Suffering- Or you could just grant them a saving throw, which isn't hard. 

Instant Planning- Sky Blue for any Charismalord, black for Intellords.  The important part of this power grants a cha mod bonus to attack rolls to you and all allies within burst 5 until the end of your next turn.  Remember, attack bonuses that actually hit you are very important.

Marked Revelation- Allows everything in the burst to be marked by one ally.  So much better to take at this level.

Rallying Deflection- Small damage reduction from a ranged attack if you are using a shield.  Does allow an ally to charge the attacker as a free action though.  Still doesn't make this worth taking.

Strider Stance- Stance to trade you move for a shift and +2 damage bonus.  Lame.

Tactical Shift- Daily that allows an ally to dodge an attack by shifting.  I'd rather have a mass heal or attack bonus.

Unintended Feint- Allows a reroll as a daily power.  Rerolls are strong, but not as a daily at this level.

Draw Their Eyes- We’re not the striker here. So do we want to grant combat advantage to get a damage bonus for ourselves?  Once again, there are far better choices here.

Warlord’s Denial- Saving throws to yourself and allies in a burst two, and an extra saving throw to anyone you use your word on for a round.  If you want a mass saving throw power, you’re probably better off with Defensive Rally to get healing and a defense bonus, as well as having a larger range.

My Warlord Handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21004845/Leading_the_Attack_Warlord_Tactics My Feycharging Taclord build: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21817401/My_Eladrin_Feycharging_Tactical_Warlord

Advanced Maneuvers:
Paragon Tier

Here we'll go over our choices for encounter powers from levels 13-17.

Level 13 Encounter Powers

Beat them into the Ground-  2W that knocks prone on a hit. Scaled down version of Knock Them Down.  Lets allies knock down an adjacent enemy if they connect with a no damage BA.  Taclords give allies an Int mod bonus to the attack roll.  Blue for non Taclords.

Befuddling Cry- Triggers on an OA.  Gives ally a BA against triggering target and makes the enemy reroll the OA if the BA hits.  Even with a the Resoureful Bonus this power still isn't worth taking.

Bolstering Blow- 3W that grants 10 THP to an ally. Cha bonus to healing for Inspiralords.  Much better choices.

Denying Smite- Protects one ally for one enemy for a turn.  This is lame even if your're a WannaBeDefenderLord.

Fury of the Sirocco- Close burst 1 that slides 1 on hit.  We can just do so much better at this level. 

Grim Mark- Shift 2 before the attack.  2W that marks and dazes until the end of your next turn on a hit.  Resource lords give a power bonus to damage rolls equal to Cha mod for the round, making it Sky Blue for them.  Awesome power for the wannabe defender.

Headstrong Bravery- Hits Fort and you can use it on a charge.  Marks on a hit but you also grant CA to all enemiesand you allies gain a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against the target for a round.  Blue for Bravelords who change the damage bonus to 2+ Cha mod.

Malenbranches Pull- Wonder what this power is gonna do?  Requries a reach weapon and allows you to slide the target 3 squares to a square adjacent to you, then knocks em prone.  We can do so much better.

Pincer Maneuver- Allows one or two allies within 5 to shift 3 squares and make a MBA.  Cha mod bonus to damage if ally is flanking target.  Great Choice for Bravelords for granting Cha mod bonus to the attack roll.  I'm thinking Black for Intellords.

Unified in Blood- Situational attack for a good but not stellar hit.

Ventured Gains- Take Pincer Maneuver.  This may give you a 2W hit for yourself, but it is definitely not worth the fact that this power requires you to hit and bloody the enemy to grant the MBA (without a shift).  I think it's safe to say Strictly worse than Pincer maneuver.

Withdrawal Gambit- 3W hit that allows allies adjacent to shift and make a saving throw.  Taclords get to add Cha mod to saving throw and shift 1+Int mod.  Sky Blue for Taclords if they have even a +1 or 2 Cha mod.

Invitational Assault- Pretty good power.  Nothing special for Resourceful or Inspiralords though (this is another double rider power).  Bravelords are likely better off with Pincer Maneuver.  For Taclords, this is a slightly improved Surprise Attack.  For Taclords, the question at this level is a little extra damage, or knocking a lot of stuff prone.  Best choice at this level or not, it’s still nothing too special.

Ruinous Assault- Pretty lame for anyone but Resourcelords.  For them, it is a strong debuff attack, that will severely reduce the target’s accuracy for a round.  I’d rather just deal more damage to him and get the fight over with. 

Level 17 Encounter Powers

Battle On- 3W that grants a saving throw to all allies within 5 on a hit.  Inspiralords grant Cha mod bonus to the saving throw, making it Sky Blue for them.

Bloody Termination- Big hitting power for Resourcelords, but that's not our game  Guess this could rank Purple for them.

Deadly Inspiration- 2W hit that allows allies within 5 deal 1W extra damage on At-Will weapon attacks.  Pretty good damage bonus, but there are much better choices.

Girding Strike- 3W that gives back use of Second Wind on a hit, Resourcelords give a Cha mod bonus to HP healed.  Unless you're in a party with 2 or more Dwarves this power is pretty lousy.

Hail of Steel- Every ally within 5 squares of you can make a BA against the target.  Awesome power!  Value goes even higher if you are in a power with a good mix in of ranged attackers.

Into the Breach!-   Can use it on a charge and allows an ally within 5 to charge the target on a hit.  Inspiralords grant a Cha mod bonus to the attack and damage roll, making them the only presence that shouldn't automatically take Hail of Steel over this (If there goal is to grant more BAs).

Thunderous Fury- 3W hit that dazes until the end of your next turn.  Taclords also grant a power bonus to attack rolls to allies equal to your Int mod until the end of your next turn.  The choice between this power and Hail of Steel is a toughie for Taclords, but it also has amazing synergy with a level 27 encounter power, Brutal Setup.  Black for non Taclords.

Warlord's Rush- 3W that allows all allies that can see you to move their speed.  Pretty useful, but I don't put much stock into granting movement over extra BAs and/or Big attack bonuses or healing.  Your allies can usually get around just fine on their own.

Reserve Maneuvers:
Paragon Tier

Let's go over the Daily powers we can pick up from levels 15-19

Level 15 Daily Powers

Anticipate Attack- Triggers by being hit with a melee attack, which you can shift away from on a hit.  Allies adjacent to the target to to make an OA against the target with CA.  Taclords give a damage bonus equal to Int mod.  Very good power.

Arkhosia's Fury- A double attack with some shifting that can be used on a charge.  The damage is not that big at this level for a pure damage power, especially since most Warlords aren't set up as strikers.  Very poor choice.

Formidable Smash- This isn't even Black at Level 1.

Grim Instruction- This is only getting Purple because Formidable Smash is Red...

Infectious Determination- 2 attacks, Auto Saving throw and second attack, second attack knocks prone and lets all allies within 5 spend a surge.  Bonuses for Resourcelords.  This is Blue for non Resourcelords because the mass heal is dependant on a hit, but this is still an great power.

Make Them Bleed- Gets some ongoing damage going on 1 target.  We can do better.

Renew the Troops- Mass surgeless healing.  Warlord doesn't give too much surgeless healing, so this is a nice card to have up your sleeve.

War Master's Assault- Lots of Sky Blue at this level!  Close Burst 3 that lets you and all allies in burst make a free basic attack or charge!  Bonus to the attack and damage rolls equal to Cha mod.  Really hard choices at this level.

Warlord's Gambit-  Provoke OAs by lowering your defenses to an enemy.  So many many better choices at this level.

Level 19 Daily Powers

Break the Tempo- Very great defendery power.  This would be rated higher, but it eats your minor and immediate actions.  I also just prefer the more offensive powers.  Great choice though.

Exhorted Counterattack- Surgeless heal and two BAs for an ally that dazes on a hit.  Bonuses for Inspiring make it a Sky Blue for them.

Glasya's Stride- Lousy damage power.

Inspiring Charge- Healing and big shift.  Great power when your party is in a bad setup and needs a heal.  You can even use it on a charge.

Storm of Carnage- Grants a BA to yourself or an ally whenever they miss with an encounter or daily attack.  This power only gets Blue because if you're doing your job right, they won't be missing on too many encounter or dailys.  Judgement is getting harsher.

Unleash Hell- That is exactly what this attack can do...In a party capable of making lots of RBAs.  Crap for any party that doesn't have most to all members with a strong RBA.  Gives out free RBAs with an 18 -20 crit range!!!  If you meet the above specifations, take this power.  If you don't meet them, don't even look at this power.

Victory Surge- This is why I dumped on Storm of Carnage.  Follow up standard actions with a basic attack?  Yes Please!  Crit rates, are doubled for a round, quadrupled with an action point, quintupled if you're a Bravelord.  You can keep giving this bonus to one ally as a sustain minor.

Windmill of Doom- Strictly worse than Victory Surge.

Non Offensive Maneuvers:
Paragon Tier

Lets see the Utility powers we can get at level 16

Level 16 Utility Powers

Decisive Timing- Play around with the Initiative Order and give a damage bonus to one guy (if you're a Taclord) that goes late in the initiative.  Wowee...

Encouraging Remark- Great for any Charismalord.  Woops, wait here... Standard Action, you can do more with your turn than this.

Flankon's Stance- Blue for Bravelords since they give a damage bonus.  Red to all others.  CA IS NOT HARD TO GET.

Hero's Defiance- Automatic save on one condition for you or an ally.  Ranged power (instead of burst) that requires a standard, and it's a daily power.  Amazing effect, not worth the cost.

Kyton's Battledance- You can be a kobold for an encounter.  LAME!

Side by Side- Stance that gives you and an ally a +2 power bonus to attack rolls, AC and Reflex when adjacent to each other (you pick on ally and stick with him).  I was gonna rate this Blue until I realized that you can't flank with someone while they remain adjacent, and that's the point of pairing up with a party member most of the time.

Warlord's Banner- Mass heal with a bonus to attack rolls for a round.  Sure, why not?  It's even an encounter power.

Warning Shout- Wouldn't bother with this if it were an encounter power. 

White Raven Formation- Standard action that gives allies within 5 a free move action, and it's a daily power.  Lousy.

Advanced Maneuvers:
Epic Tier

Lets see what Encounter Powers we have to choose from still for Levels 23 and up.

Level 23 Encounter Powers

Blood Begets Blood- Good Effect, but it’s dependant on bloodying or killing the target.  Even more tempting for Resourcelords, but I wouldn’t suggest it.

Daring Display- This power sucks.  It marks and is 4W, but you shouldn’t take this, even if you’re playing mock defender.

Great Dragon War Cry- 3W that weakens on a hit.  Black for Non Inpiralords.  Inspiralords however get the added benefit of granting allies a Cha mod bonus to attack rolls against enemies for the rest of the encounter.  Keep in mind you must hit to get the added bonus.  Make sure allies take weakening powers when possible, as it’s already a pretty decent status effect.

Pillar to Post- This is a good power, but it’s not stacking up at this level.  Multi attacks are good, but not when they are for us…

Pit Fiend’s Fury- Close burst 2 that knocks prone, enemies only.  Another example of a good power that just isn’t stacking up anymore.

Quickening Force- 4W hit that allows a saving throw to all allies within 5 squares.  Bonus for Resourcelords, so this is Black for other Presences.

Rabbits and Wolves- Allows two allies to shift their speed on a hit.  I’d rather have an attack bonus or dish out some BAs.

Ringing Clarity- Clears marks on allies and an auto save on a charm or fear effect.  Too situational.

Shutdown Smite-This is Blue if there’s  a lot of status effects being dished out from the party.  Otherwise… no.

Sudden Assault- You get a BA that lets an ally take a standard action.  That’s a decent choice for any Warlord.  Taclords, however, grant the ally a bonus to the attack roll on the action equal to your Int mod.  With proper set up (having CA already), this power should allow the ally to auto-hit (exception being a 1 on the die) with any encounter or daily power.  That’s pretty darn good.

Wounding Focus- Pretty good power, but there’s better choices here.  An attack bonus is generally better than a damage bonus at this level.

Level 27 Encounter Powers

Abrupt Skirmish-  This power is straight lousy if you’re not a Bravelord.  Typical example of the Bravura’s High Risk High Reward tactics.  Take at your own risk.

Brutal Setup- This power is good enough to be a Daily… Dazed is pretty easy to dish out, so your party is gonna be able to set up it’s own attack bonuses (kinda).  This is all if you’re a Taclord.  If you are, TAKE THIS POWER.  NON CHOICE.

Chimera Battlestrike- A close burst 1 3W hit that can slide 2, more for Taclords.  Decent power, but if you are a Taclord, SEE THE ABOVE POWER!

Devastating Charge- Gives a Cha bonus to damage on charge attacks for a round.  Not cutting it.

Eye of the Storm- Close burst 1 that marks on a hit.  Allies that hit the marked targets can spend a surge or make a saving throw.  Resourcelords give a bonus to these benefits.  Pretty good effect, great for Resourcelords.  Blue for non Resourcelords.

Incite Heroism- Dishes out 20 THP to all allies on a hit.  Inspiralords get a Cha mod bonus to THP dished out.  Pretty good, but not phenomenal.

Uplifting Assault- Or you can just get a power that heals… May be good for Battle Captains? Nevermind, Battle Captains have to take Brutal Setup.

Warlord’s Doom- Makes the Target auto fail a saving throw.  This rating was party dependant, but there’s some pretty nasty effects that are always good to continue.

Warlord’s Indignation- Immediate Reaction that triggers on you getting hit.  2W hit that knocks prone.  Hitting also allows all allies to make a BA as an opportunity action.  Pretty good power.  Not great though, as we can’t use it on command, which is important for strategists like us.

Reserve Maneuvers:
Epic Tier

Let’s see the best the Warlord class can offer us at Levels 25 and up.

Level 25 daily Powers

Precision Stance- Rerolls! Rerolls with an Int Mod bonus!  This is where the Taclord really stands head and shoulders above the rest.  While this is still a Sky Blue power, there is another choice that is in most cases better, and it’s not even modifier or Presence based.

Primordial Onslaught- Wow a bunch of slide 1’s… Check out the next power and never look back at this.

Relentless Assault- 5W hit that automatically allows the whole party to make a BA whenever anyone in the party crits.  Some people may think, “but I don’t wanna rely on crits…”.  Let’s assume you’re in a decent party of 5 with a 19-20 Crit rate.  Every round gives you a 41 percent chance of someone landing a crit.  Over 5 rounds, that should bring up 2.05 Crits, which equals 10.25 free BA’s for the party.  This is also without factoring in Sorcers, Rangers, Avengers, Wizards, 18-20 Crit ranges, just to name a few things that will drive Crit percentages up.  Too strong to pass on.

Sleeping Dragon Lure- We’re not strikers.  Blue only for Bravelords that are built to deal some damage.

Stir the Hornet’s Nest- Requires a heavy thrown weapon.  Allows your allies to add your Int mod to attack AND damage rolls with Ranged attacks against the target for the rest of the encounter!  Even the Miss is awesome.  Obviously, this will be useless in a party that are not proficient with Ranged attacks.  I couldn’t give this Sky Blue because a good party should not have enough Ranged attackers to make this power worth it.

Victorious Destiny- Great power… last tier.  Pretty lackluster now, we can do better.  It is still a +2 attack bonus against anything for the whole encounter for all allies.  Reliable’s nice too.  It’s Old Faithful.

Warlord’s Resurgence-They took Warlord’s recovery and gave it a +2 attack bonus?   Really?  We can do WAAAAY better.

Wave of Defeat- Good power, but it’s got stiff competition at this level, and this one is a little lacking.

White Raven’s Call- We have encounter powers that do this. No.

Level 29 Daily Powers

Asmodeus’s Gambit- Almost all the damage on this one is DM dependant.  The big part of this power can just be ignored by not attacking you.  Bonus damage to OAs against him.  Stand still…  So much more to be had here.

Defy Death- Big move, 7 W hit, but the big effect is to allow an ally to spend a surge and dodge a hit?  Just let em get hit and use Inspiring Word on them, then give em a huge attack buff to destroy that thing.  This is level 29 Baby, think Bigger. 

Deific Rallying- 20 THP and a BA to all allies.  Black for non Inspiralords, as they give a bonus to THP and damage on the Bas.  Great ability, but this is the big time.

Flawless Snare- Ok, better  for Bravelords.  Once more, the problem is that this is DM dependant.  The target can just ignore you for a round, your Mark is only a -2 penalty for a turn…  Your better off with Deific Rallying if you just wanna give out some BAs.

Inexorable Surge- Damage bonus on one target at a time.  Not bad.  It’s Reliable and has a +2 bonus to the attack roll to hit with this attack. 

Perfect Front- Arguably the best the Taclord has to offer.  Allows you and allies within 2 to make 2 attack rolls for all attacks.  The way I see it, the Taclord is giving out Attack Bonuses by the butt load.  With the magnitude of these bonuses (most make the next attack an auto hit), adding more attack bonus isn’t going to help.  Rerolling all attacks is gonna do 3 things for us:
1. Improve Accuracy (duh)
2. Reduce the chance of rolling a 1 to .25% (1 in 400).
3. Pretty much double our Crit Rate (If you crit on 19-20, crit rate is 19% for each attack).
When we hand out our attack buffs, missing on a 1 (sometimes 2-4 also) is our only fear.  Now that’s practically gone( if you miss on a 4, you still only have a 4% chance of missing with this).

Stand Invincible- You guys have probably caught on to the fact that I don’t put a lot of stock in defensive bonuses, but this one is too much to laugh off.  +4 to all defenses and 5 Resist all damage?  It takes a sustain minor, but this is gonna shrug off a lot of hits to the whole party.  Hard not to take this one.

Wake of Devastation- Auto 15 ongoing and CA to allies for all enemies in a burst 1. Bit better for Resourcelords, but still not too big on this one.  Still auto 30 ongoing damage is huge (for Resourcelords), so I gave it Blue.

Non-Offensive Maneuvers:
Epic Tier

Let’s Check out our last Utility Power choice for level 22.

Level 22 Utility Powers:

Avenge Me- Only works when you are knocked out.  Gives a mass heal to your allies and a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls for the whole encounter, AFTER YOU’RE KNOCKED OUT.  We can do way better.

Bloodthirsty Offensive- I’d give this one a better rating if it weren’t for another completely overshadowing power at this level. 

Harrying Warhound- This is a nice power, but we can still do better.  Self Attack Bonuses are very nice though.

Heart of the Titan-Great Protection…For one ally…Once a day… For a Standard Action…Protecting one ally simply diverts fire.

Heroic Surge- Standard Daily mass heal.  Nothing special here, though it does include you for a change.

Own the Battlefield- Slide all enemies in a burst ten a number of squares equal to your Int mod.  Wow…  How big a deal is this unless you’re fighting on the side of a cliff?

Quickening Order-Initiative, attack and damage bonus equal to your Int mod all rolled together?  Here’s the problem.  The attack and damage bonuses are only for your first turns.  Sometimes you can’t reach an enemy your first round of combat.  Even if you can, it’s not always a prime target that you would actually want to use an buff power on.  Even if you reach the big bad, why waste precious attack buffs when the person doesn’t have good positioning (combat advantage), so they can just get out a buffed at-will.  These are the kind of reasons I don’t put much thought into first turn buffs.  This power is still pretty good though.

Rush of Battle- Minor action, effects all allies in burst 5: Make basic attacks as minor actions.  If the party is ready for this power, each ally is going to receive 1 or 2 attacks with this.  Even better for Resourcelords with a bonus to the BA rolls equal to Int OR Cha mod.  This is why I’ve been pretty harsh on the other options this level, and rightly so.

Stirring Declaration-This is a nice power for Charismalords, but for Inspiralords…  It’s a tough choice between this and Rush of Battle… This is a stance that is gonna keep your party swimming in THP and giving out a saving throw every round, as well as a constant bonus to fear effects.  Hard Choice for Inspiralords here…

Warlord Training:
Feats

Heroic Tier

General Feats

Double team- This may be an ok trade for a few levels, but it’s going to taper off fast.  Our attack bonus is generally nothing special, often on the low side, so let’s not drag it down anymore.

Improved Inspiring Word- Any Charisma lord should have this, at least through the heroic tier.  I like to pick this up at level 1, as that is when it has the highest impact on the party.

Lend Might- Tacks a +1 bonus to attacks you grant to allies.  Great feat, but I generally can’t find room for it (at least in Taclord builds).

Saving Inspiration- Trade in some healing for a saving throw.  Something most Warlord’s should have, at least by Paragon.

Courageous Example- This is a new one from 377… When you succeed on a saving throw, you give a bonus to your next ally that makes one.  This is probably gonna be pretty useful by paragon or epic.  Very leadery at least.   Lookin for feedback on this one.

Durable- We generally don’t have the luxury of a decent Constitution, if any at all…  However, most Warlord builds have trouble fitting this in with other necessary feats.

Harlequin Style- Makes Brash Assault worth taking.  Still not guaranteed to make the attack more damaging (actually a ditterent). 

Hunting Wolf Style- Wolf Pack Tactics can shift an ally within 2 squares of you.  WPT is still lame.

Improved Initiative- I don’t think Initiative is a huge thing for Warlords to worry about.  We’ve got plenty of other ways to play with/boost initiative, but feat slots are tight.

Steel Vanguard Veteran- Pretty good for a Bravelord that wants to get into the damage game.  19-20 Crit ranges are VERY rare in the Heroic Tier.  You can have it at first.  I almost feel that I’m underrating this, but I have no experience with it.  Feedback appreciated (keep in mind this cannot be used in conjunction with Harlequin Style).

Toughness- Feat space is tight.  Do you really need this? Be a man.

Grudge Style- If you like Furious Smash, this is pretty good.

Warding Shield style- If you actually like Opening Shove and have a shield, don’t pass on this.

Armor Proficiency- Good leaders don’t die and/or waste heals on themselves.  If you need this, take it.

Shield Proficiency- See Armor Proficiency

Weapon Proficiency-  Depends on your build.  Getting a Reach Weapon?   Sky Blue.  Getting a Bastard Sword, Blue.

Weapon Focus- You’re no striker, but damage is damage. Get this sometime in your career, probably after you spend your Weapon Proficiency feat, if necessary.

Weapon Expertise- Take this ASAP.  Our best results come when we hit with our powers, and we get no extra class features  for accuracy (as well as many good Warlord builds only having a 16 starting Strength).

Prepared for Anything- An AC buff that only lasts until the end of your first turn…  This feat is a minor effect that has a very good chance of being useless when considering the fact that Warlords have a fair amount of different ways to generously increase Initiative, rendering this feat nearly useless.

Bravura Presence

Improved Bravura- Attack bonus on Action points or a speed bonus.  Pretty good.

Bold Gamble- A feat for a chance to get CA after an action point (or grant it if you miss).  You shouldn’t have space for this in your feat list.

Courageous Word- Good damage boost at the cost of granting CA for a round.  I’m assuming this applies to all attacks against the opponent for a round, so this seems mandatory for a Bravelord.  If it only applies to one hit, it’s not nearly as good.

Risky Charge-  Very Bravura-esk feat…  I’m not even sure about this one, lol.  If you’re a Bravelord that  optimizes his charges, go ahead and try this.  Otherwise, this is a big gamble.

Inspiring Presence

Inspired Recovery- Free Saving Throws to allys when they action point with a Charisma Mod bonus.  This is something you have to have eventually.

Improved Inspiration- An extra 2 HP to your Presence bonus… It doesn’t even scale.  You should not have room for this.

Emboldening Presence- A Cha mod boost to Saving throws for two rounds?  This can be extremely useful in a battle with a lot of status effects, although it does trigger off using second wind.  If your party is not a fan of using their second wind, combine this with Bolstering Shout (level 10 encounter Utility power) for an easy way to take advantage of this feat.  Although this is one of the newest Warlord feats, I believe this will be a new standard (or very popular) pick for all Inspiralords)

Inspiring Aid- I’ll be honest, I have no idea how to rate this as I have no experience with Aid Another.  However, if you are the type to value this action, then this is a must have feat.

Rousing Resurgence- If your party uses second wind a lot, this is very good.  If this were available for all presences, I would rate it higher, but being as it is given to the “healerlord”, your party should not need to use it’s second winds too often.

Stirring Word- Cha mod THP to an ally that you use Inspiring Word on.  Not a lot of reasons to not take this in my opinion.  For a strong healing build, I think this is a great second level pick, right after Improved Inspiring Word.

Resourceful Presence

Improved Resources- Add 2 to damage and THP bonus that your Presence grants.  Pretty good.

Covered Retreat- This can provide some good maneuverability for the party, but I believe I’d rather just make an attack far more often than utilizing this feat.  I can still see some use for this though (just not my style).

Resourceful Donation- Allows you to split the HP you recover from spending a healing surge with an adjacent ally.  This can be a useful feature, but you probably shouldn’t be spending your surges when you don’t need them.  This would be a different story if you were a class that had more surges/hp, but we are among the worst.  In other words, we usually need all of our own stamina resources for ourselves.

Rousing Charge- Give up your +1 attack bonus on charges to grant your ally a +2 attack bonus against the same creature for one attack.  This is a relatively insignificant boost in attack accuracy, and we need all the extra attack bonuses we can get.  I wouldn’t suggest this even if you are a Resourcelord that does nothing but charge.

Imaginitive Reaction- A small loss in your initiative (choice) to grant Cha mod bonus to Initiative for one ally, and Int for another.  I’ve mentioned before that I am a player that will never take Improved Initiative, but this is nearly as good as Combat Commander, and it’s available during the Heroic Tier!  This is going to start off good and become phenomenal as you level up.

Tactical Presence

Tactical Assault- Bonus Damage to allies action points.  It’s not if you take this, it’s when.

Improved Tactics- I don’t think that this is worth a feat.  It’s still not a bad choice though.

Tactical Adjustment- A slide on action points… Small effect that you probably won’t need to use on every action point.  Taclords generally have a pretty big want list for their feats, so you won’t have room for this.

Tactical Feint- You give an ally ½ Int Mod to an attack roll when you AP…  Now our action points can be special too!  This isn’t that big a deal right away ( I rate this Blue for Heroic Tier), but I suggest taking this soon after your Int mod reaches a +6.  Very close to another Standard choice for Taclords.

Shrewd Positioning- A 1 square shift when initiative is rolled… Seriously? How useful can this be (no really, can somebody tell me a use for this other than starting the party 1 square closer to the action)?  This feat in my understanding is far too useless to warrant a feat slot for a Taclord.

Race Specific

Dragonborn

Bravura Spirit- Attack or speed bonus on Bravura Presence attack to bloodied allies.  Especially good with a party that likes to play bloodied.

Dwarf

Bolstering Inspiration- You shouldn’t be a Dwarven Warlord… This is an ok feat, but definitely nowhere close to making a Dwarflord worth playing.

Eladrin

Fey Command- Ally can teleport 1 square when they attack with an Action point.  It’s not useless, but we have so many better choices. Tactical Presence only

Tactical Inspiration- Add your Int modifier to Inspiring word.  Intellords can be just as good as the other leaders at healing, for about 1 level…

Eladrin Soldier- Damage bonus with longswords and spears, and proficiency with all spears.  Fantastic if you wanna go with a Greatspear, and good nonetheless.

Half-Elf

Inspired Tactics- +1 to allies attack rolls on action point.  Not bad.

Halfling

Bold Command- If an enemy that you are granting CA to misses you with a melee attack, you grant your allies a +1 bonus to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.  Not bad.  Bravura Presence only.

Human

Action Surge-Considered by many to be the reason to play Humans.  This really is the best chance you have to connect with a daily.  Throughout the Heroic tier, this will be your best tool to connect with Lead the Attack, which is gonna be your biggest threat for a while.

Inspired Defense- +1 defense bonus for a round to an ally that you use inspiring word on.  Small bonus that pops up twice an encounter.  You can do better.

Paragon Tier

Combat Commander- I would never take Improved Initiative, but this is a huge Initiative boost to the entire party.  Don’t pass on this.

Defensive Surge- +2 bonus to defenses on one ally when you use second wind.  I wouldn’t take this if I were a dwarf.  Pass.

Impetuous Charger- This isn’t bad, but giving out CA isn’t that big a deal.  OK choice.

Phalanx Warrior- Not bad.  You probably have better things to take though.

Warlord’s Formation- I’d like to think you can do something with your turn better than Aid Another.

Heavy Blade Opportunity- Pretty good pick, but it depends on your build.  Definitely doesn’t hurt.

Shield Specialization- +1 AC and Reflex for one feat?  Yes please.

Vexing Flanker- Helps out your allies, it’s what you’re there for.  If you’ve been reading this though, I don’t put a whole lot of stock in granting CA, but this is a pretty decent pick.

Armor Specialization- If you can afford it, take it.  I’m of the opinion that 1 feat is worth 1 AC (usually), so this is a good pick.

Resourceful Presence

Reliable Resources- Why wouldn’t you want to attack on your action point?  It is something that shouldn’t happen that often, so don’t take a feat for it.  Not that big a bonus anyway.

Versatile Word- Very good feat.  Not sure if this is Sky Blue material yet, but I can tell you it’s definitely worth taking.  Another feat that is making Infernal Strategist Resourcelords look like the better build right now.

Inspiring Only

Defense of the Inspired-  Does anyone take the Total Defense Action?  They probably shouldn’t be if they are, making this feat nearly useless (although this feat can make the action a bit more desirable, it’s still not a good thing to do)

Tactical Only

Tactician’s Word- Definitely a new must pick for any non-Battle Captain Taclord (and still a good choice for them too).  Battle Captain was the pick for any non-Eladrin Taclord, so this feat helps make that path a little less “mandatory”.  This may also fully tip the scale in favor of Spiral Tactician in regards  of the best Taclord Paragon Path category (in my view at least).

Race Specific

Dragonborn

Bloody Inspiration- Gives out some THP to a second ally when you use your Inspiring Word on an ally.  Pretty good, but requires a Con Investment.

Eladrin

Fey Tactics- When you use Fey Step, an ally within 5 squares of you can Fey step 2.  You guys have probably picked up on the fact that I don’t care much about shifting and sliding allies, but a free 5+ Teleport?  Unbelievablely awesome when paired with Feycharge.

Dwarf

Steadfast Tactics- Allows allies to resist forced movements until the end of the encounter  when you use inspiring word on them.  Definitely not a reason to play a Dwarflord…

Genasi

Elemental Companions- Allows your allies to share your racial elemental resistance and saving throw bonuses.  Depends on what Element you went with, but this is most likely going to be worth taking.

Half-Elf

Vital Inspiration-  Allys that see you can add your Cha mod to HP regained when they use Second Wind.  Depends on party makeup and playstyle.  I’d go with Black on this one if you don’t have a few dwarves or people that like to use second wind a lot.

Epic Tier

Aggressive Leadership- Good pick.  Usefulness can depend on party play style, but in general, people are going to be bloodied for a little while anyway.

Call to Glory- Depends on your build.  A good Warlord should probably be giving out a fair amount attacks, so this will help.

Protective Leadership- Ok choice, but most Intellords have better options than this.

Supreme Inspiration- If you have a 19 Charisma, you take this.  Non-Choice.  Why don’t Taclords get to have this…

Tactical Cunning- Gives an AC bonus to an ally that you slide.  This is great if you’re a chesslord, otherwise, you shouldn’t really have enough sliding powers to legitimize this.  SLIDE ONLY- does nothing for powers that push pull or shift.

Weapon Mastery- Very good thing for ANY character to have.  Best here is usually Heavy Blade Mastery, which requires a starting 15 dex, which is not gonna happen for all Warlord builds.  If you can take it, get it.

Epic Fortitude/Reflexes/Will- All completely worth a feat.  These picks are generally bases on how many other feats you would rather have and how much you care about your defenses.  Generally, taking 2 of these is best, as three is just bumping a NAD that is probably going to be hit all the time anyway.

Martial Mastery- Much better for us than Epic Resurgence.  Encounter power back on an AP, very nice.

Robust Defenses- For the most part, this is a non choice.

Bravura Presence

Bold Spirit- Get THP when you get hit while bloodied or granting CA to the attacker.  This is 90% of many Bravelords day.  Very nice pick.

Resourceful Presence

Action Grant- Give away an Action point (that must be uses during the encounter).  This is entirely dependant on party make up, as some characters will not be able to use more than one action point during an encounter.  Once again, this ranges from mediocre to great depending on your parties play style.

Tactical Presence

Tactical Action- Allows a basic attack if an ally misses their attack on an action point.  You don’t want this to happen on an action point, so it’s not something you should plan for.  I would think it’s pretty useful for a Resourcelord that went Infernal Strategist though.

Race Specific

Eladrin

Feywild Warrior- Teleport yourself and target of a daily power 5 squares on a hit.  Only works on daily powers, but that is still a nice effect.

Warlord Paths

There’s many paths your Warlord can take, but let’s weed out some of the good and bad.

Spiral Tactician- Eladrin Tactical warlords only.  One of the few paths for a Taclord that can compete with Battle Captain in term  of raw power.  Allows you to regain Feys Step when you use an action point and gives out a great Initiative reroll with bonus to one ally every encounter, right from level 11.  The level 11 encounter power is not great, but far from useless.  The level 12 utility is like Knight’s Move, but far better.  Encounter teleport for an ally?  Very nice.  The Level 16 feature is the pure gold here though.  Your Tactical Presence bonus becomes equal to your full Intelligence Modifier!  By the time you have this, it should be ensuring nearly automatic hits for your allies on an Action point attack.  The level 20 Daily Power is nothing to laugh at either.

Battle Captain- Open to any Warlord Presence, but designed for the Taclord.  You give all your allies a +1 bonus to attack rolls for a turn when you spend an action point. Allies also get a +2 bonus to attack rolls on the first round of combat.  The encounter power is very good, and allows you to push an enemy and the enemies adjacent to him. The Utility power is mostly garbage.  I don’t find it to be worth a standard action, and it’s a daily power any way.  Not the reason to pick Battle Captain. The level 16 path feature is why you pick this one though.  Gives your allies an Int Mod bonus to speed and attack rolls for a round when you use your inspiring word on them.  The level 20 daily power is ok, but it’s nothing too special.

Combat Veteran- This is a nice path for any warlord, but not great.  The class features are good and the powers are good, but this path isn’t really exceptional in any area.  Still not a bad choice though.

Knight Commander- Great path for the Charismalord who wants to play secondary defender.  The level 11 ability is a flat +2 bonus to attack rolls for all adjacent allies!  That’s great!  Just keep in mind that this won’t affect anyone you are flanking with.  Allies get a defensive bonus for a round when you action point, which is always nice.  At 16, you and all allies within 3 squares of you can add your Cha Mod to damage on opportunity attacks.  The powers are all defendery, but they’re good none the less.  You can definitely do worse than this.

Sword Marshal- For the Warlord that doesn’t want to lead…  The only thing that assists your allies here is the extremely weak level 16 path feature to grant CA to your allies against an enemy that you crit on.  On the other hand, you can lead more efficiently when you yourself are buffed, but this path is just not worth taking.  The utility power is great, but it’s being a daily power means that it is not enough to have a true impact on this path.  Much better choice here.

Battlelord of Kord- Great choice for any Charismalord- +1 to attack and damage rolls for a round to your allies when you spend an action point.  You also get Tempestuous Inspiration right from the start, which gives allies a +2 power bonus to attack rolls and cha mod bonus to damage for a round whenever you use inspiring word on them.  You can also save immediately against the mark effect at level 16, with a +5 bonus against fear effects.  The encounter and utility power are both pretty good, but Path of the Storm may be THE most damaging power in the entire game (maybe not from a standard Warlord though…).

Commando Captain- The path features all support a Warlord that likes to move their allies around a lot.  These features are not very strong though…  The encounter power is excellent however, but not enough to make this path worth choosing.  The utility is an encounter shift 3 to two allies, which is pretty nice.  The daily is worse than most of the encounter powers you should have in your arsenal…  This path goes along well with the chessmaster theme, but it’s still not worth taking.  Mobility is an aid in battle, not a path to victory.

Dujun of Erathis- This is an interesting path to say the least. At this current time of reading, I have not really looked into this path, nor have I heard much about it, even though it’s been out since Martial Power.  The level 11 features allow you to allow an ally to consume one of your own surges when you use your inspiring word on them, which can be extremely useful depending on you and your parties play style.  You can also spend your action point to grant a move action to all of your allies.  I’m not big on sacking power for mobility, but that’s a pretty nice feature.  At 16, you give yourself and all allies an extra +1 to attacks when they are flanking or aiding another.  It’s a small bonus, but one that will be nearly constantly in effect.  The encounter power is extremely interesting… On a hit with the attack, which only deals Str mod damage, the enemy is dazed, and allies can choose to make any at-will attacks against the enemy with a d20 result of 10 instead of actually rolling.  Given the fact that the enemy will be granting CA, your entire party should be able to auto hit most enemies with their at-wills under this effect.  This power is very close to insuring auto damage, and that is very strong.  The utility is a daily stance that allows all allies to make saving throws at the end of all your turns.  I find this to be one of the strongest parts of this path, although it is only once per day.  The daily power is pretty good, and gives you an attack bonus for the attack for your allies being nearby, besides targeting Will.  This is a path that doesn’t get talked about most likely because the effects of it are hard to calculate, but this is a path that is definitely worth looking into.  Great for any Warlord Presence.

Earthfast Brigadier- Decent features, although two of them are reliant on Constitution.  The powers have extra benefits for axes and hammers (which you shouldn’t really be wielding) and are again all using Constitution as a secondary.  The only place I see this path being acceptable is for a Dwarven Bravelord, but this still isn’t the best path for that horrible combination.

Longarm Marshal- An OK path for any Spear Wielding Intellord.  The level 11 feature gives a flat +1 bonus to all attack rolls with a spear, which is very nice.  The level 16 feature gives you an interesting version of threatening reach.  You can deal Int mod damage to any enemy within your reach when they move without shifting or make a ranged attack.  Keep in mind that this is your opportunity action, so instead of using your OA in a normal situation, you can just deal auto Int Mod damage.  The powers are good, but not exceptional.  The daily power however deals a fair amount of ongoing damage, as well as a large damage buff against the enemy while the Ongoing damage is still in effect.  Not the best path, but still a pretty good one.  Great for the Warlord that prefers to be more self sufficient.

Twiceborn Leader-  An odd path… The level 11 feature is terrific, granting allies a +2 attack bonus for a round when you use an action point.  The other level 11 feature allows you to use inspiring wind on two allies at once, but only regain their surge value in HP instead of the full amount of an inspiring word.  This path strongly encourages the use of Second Wind.  The level 16 feature grants allies a +4 bonus to all defenses when they use second wind instead of the usual +2.  The Encounter power is ok, but the Utility power is amazing.  You and one ally that remains within 5 squares of you can roll 2 dice for an attack each turn?  That’s awesome.  The daily power is ok, but kinda weak for something of this level.  Pretty good path for a party of all dwarves maybe?  Not a bad path, but you can do a lot better, although the utility power is AWESOME…

Flamebrow Commander- Bravura Presence only.  Wow, this Path has all the tools to make you a bloody unstoppable monster.  Right from level 11, you can benefit from your own Bravura Presence Action point bonus, as well as add your Cha mod to all HP you regain while dying and to your death saving throws.  At level 16, each time you regain HP while bloodied, you get a +2 attack bonus until the end of your next turn.  As far as I know, this bonus should be able to stack with itself, so you can get a pretty powerful constant attack bonus if you have regeneration while bloodied.  The powers are all good, but not great.  Overall, if you want to be a self sufficient nigh unkillable Bravelord, this is the path for you.

Infernal  Strategist- Resourceful Presence only.  A very interesting, very powerful path.  The level 11 features are very good.  You can use your action point to give an ally a reroll, which is a nice thing to have in your arsenal.  You also allow yourself and an ally that you are flanking with to add your Int or Cha mod as a bonus to damage to the flanked enemy.  The level 16 feature is what this path is all about though.  You get to pick a SECOND Commanding Presence!!!  While you can still only use one presence ability per action point spent, you do get to benefit from the rider effects of your newly selected presence.  You get the best of 2 worlds.  The encounter power is an ok attack with a small enemy debuff.  The utility power is totally awesome, as it is an encounter Immediate Reaction to grant an additional benefit to an ally’s action point (a choice of four different things that are all similar to or enhanced versions of the 4 Warlord Commanding Presence abilities).  The daily is pretty good, relatively simple.  4W hit that gives you an AP that you can use before the end of the encounter (does not count as your one action point use per encounter) when you hit with the power.  Overall, a very powerful, very flexible paragon path.  If you’re a Resourcelord, there’s not a lot of reason not to take this path.

Warlord Destinies

I’m gonna show some of the better Epic Destinies that your Warlord can pick up.

Demigod- I think it’s safe to say that you can never go wrong with this Destiny.  This may not be the most flavorful path for a Warlord, but unfortunately, the double stat bump is very very hard to pass on.  Standard level 24 feature and utility, but Divine Miracle is awesome.  It feels like you’re abusing it any way you use it.  Good for any Warlord.

Eternal Seeker- It’s pretty much Epic Multiclassing.  Problem is, a Warlord’s strength comes from his awesome leading powers, so this won’t be too useful for standard Warlord builds.  You lose Epic Destiny features for power versatility, but you already have great power selection at this point, so why make the sacrifice?

Adamantine Soldier- Great defensive bonuses if you have heavy armor and a high Con Mod.  Other than that, this Destiny seems very weak.  You can do a whole lot better.

Chosen- Unless you have a specific deity that you want to worship, this is gonna be strictly better than Demigod, which is something most Destinies cannot boast.  Works exactly the same as Demigod, but your Utility power is based off of the deity you worship.

Legendary General- A good path for any warlord.  When you use second wind, an ally can spend a surge too, not bad.  Allies can also use each other’s Action points.  The utility power is pretty good, it allows allies and yourself to regain a used daily or encounter power for a standard action.  At level 30, your allies become far more difficult to take down…  Allies can go below 0 hitpoints and not fall unconscious or die from negative hit points.  They still can die from failed death saving throw however.  This is a fine choice for an epic destiny, but we can do a little better.

Mythic Sovereign- Similar to Demigod, but missing the all important dual stat bump.  Nice features though, with a scaled down version of Divine Miracle at 30.  The utility power is simply amazing however.  Only take this path if you have a crit range of 19-20 or greater.

Punisher of the Gods- If you wanna play a striker Warlord, this is a fine path, although you probably won’t be able to fully exploit the cheese of this Destiny.

Warmaster- If you can live without the dual stat bump of Demigod, then this is likely the best possible Destiny for your Warlord.  Anytime a surprise round pops up, you and your entire party can act and use all the normal actions, as well as not granting CA when surprised.  That’s pretty sweet right there, look for ways to start surprise rounds… Whenever you spend an action point, an ally within 5 gets an extra action on their next turn too.  Nice!  Tactical Genius at level 30 is not the most incredible feature, but it is definitely a great thing to have, as it allows you to spend as many of your action points during a combat as you’d like.  The utility power is definitely a big part of this destiny, as it is a daily power which enables you and your allies to take an entire round of actions!  This destiny is gonna throw a lot of extra actions at your party.  The Party Novas with this Destiny are unbelievable.

Combination Tactics

Let’s go over some of the ways you can combine your powers to inflict or allow maximum damage (though yourself, or more likely, your allies).

Heroic Tier

Name: Overextension Stratagem

Can be Utilized by: Any presence, although Bravelords do gain a significant bonus to Provoke Overextension (which slightly increases the power of this combo).

Powers Used: Diabolic Stratagem (encounter), Provoke Overextension (encounter)

Actions Required: 2 Standard Actions

How to perform: Use Diabolic Stratagem, action point (unless you have another way of granting yourself an additional Standard Action), then use Provoke Overextension.

Possible by level: 7

Effect: When used in succession, Provoke Overextension will trigger opportunity attacks from all your allies (you are granted one also, but cannot utilize it on your own turn), regardless of Diabolic Stratagem hitting (although you are still required to connect with Provoke Overextension).  If the enemy misses you with the granted attack, one of your allies will also receive an additional Basic Attack against the enemy.  Bonuses to Bravelords.  This is a very damaging combo at this level, and may be the only way to trigger this many free attacks during the heroic tier.  Be advised that this combination does require the party to be surrounding one enemy to work best.  Further drawbacks are the fact that this requires two Encounter powers and an action point.

Increasing Effectiveness: Any effects that will increase damage and/or attack bonuses for your allies when the attacks are triggered (there are two many effects to list them all).

Name: Head First

Can be Utilized by: Any build with a moderate to high Intelligence can make best use of this, though the power is strong enough to be utilized by any build.

Powers Used: Iron Dragon Charge (daily), Inevitable Wave (at-will)

How to Perform: Relatively simple strategy, but that doesn’t make it any less potent.  Use Iron Dragon Charge, and proceed to charge whenever possible.  Using powers that benefit charging and/or can be used on a charge are very useful here.

Possible by level: 9

Effect- Using Iron Dragon Charge will allow one of your allies to charge whenever you do (as an immediate reaction) until the end of the encounter, regardless of whether you hit with the power.  The “strategy” here is to increase the effectiveness of your’s and your ally’s charges.  Inevitable Wave is a simple effective way of doing this.  Bravelords can substitute flattening charge, although it is not as reliable, to trade damage for knocking the enemy prone.

Increasing Effectiveness: Any powers that can be used on a charge and/or increase the effectiveness of charging.  Example powers are: Guide the Charge (level 6 utility) and Follow me in (level 3 encounter power).

Name: Adaptive Favor

Can be Utilized by: Any build with a good Intelligence score, but most effective with a Taclord.

Powers Used: Warlord’s Favor (level 1 encounter), Adapative Stratagem (level 2 utility).

How to Perform: Follow the use of Warlord’s Favor with Adaptive Stratagem.  You are required to hit with Warlord’s Favor, otherwise you miss out on any attack bonus from this combo (and it’s not really a combo any more…).

Possible by level: 2

Effect- Confers an attack bonus of +2 (1+Int mod for Taclords), as well as an Int mod bonus to damage rolls to one ally against one enemy until the end of your next turn.  A Taclord (best suited for them) with an 18 Int mod will grant a +5 attack bonus and a +4 damage bonus.

Increasing Effectiveness: At level 2, this is about the biggest buff a Taclord can give out.  Utilize the most of your granted bonuses by using Commander’s Strike to give your ally more attacks against the target while he is still under the effect of your bonuses.  Situation described above will add +5 attack and +8 damage to your ally’s Basic Attack with Commander’s Strike (which can be used once, or twice with an action point).

Example Builds

Here's a few builds to show examples of the different Warlord types.

Fey Charging Taclord: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Inspiring Warlord: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Resourceful Warlord: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

The Supreme Captain (Tiornys): community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Very nice so far! The first post is in dire need of editing, though!

Lion's Roar- Heals a surge on a hit.  Cha bonus to HP healed for Inspiralords.

Error in this Encounter Power description.  Heals a Surge on use, as the healing part is in the "Effect" part of the power.  This means when you use Lion's Roar it doesn't matter if the power hits or misses, you or an ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.  Inspirelords add an additional Cha mod to the HP for allies(but not selves).

Thanks for the catch there bud.  Been doing this randomly at my leisure.  As for the editing...I'm new to this, and am writing it in WordPad and copypasting, so formatting is getting lost in translation.  Working on it, will touch it up soon.

Thanks for the catch there bud.  Been doing this randomly at my leisure.  As for the editing...I'm new to this, and am writing it in WordPad and copypasting, so formatting is getting lost in translation.  Working on it, will touch it up soon.

I think she means spelling/grammar mistakes such as misusing your vs you're, excepting vs accepting, etc.  Nothing you can't read past, but it does catch the eye of the more anal among us=)

I'm a somewhat excited about doing this, so I'm trying to fix mistakes along the way, but my plan is to get this done and then spend a bit of time editing and correcting things.  Work in progress.

Also, does anyone know how to change text color here?

Looking great.

You rated Wolf Pack Tactics blue, which tells me I should read on because you've got some experience. I don't understand why so many others rate it sky blue, it's far too conditional to justify such a rating.

I've done the math on Provoke Overextension, I'll share the results with you when I get home. The gist of it is if you've got a defender buddy to retaliate, it's amazing, sky blue, but otherwise it's not.

I would rank gnomes lower than you have; black or maybe even purple.  They get bonuses to both secondaries, which is decent for resourceful warlords, but their speed is terrible.  Unless you are a taclord that can wear hide you're looking at a speed of 4, which is really just too low to work well.

Thanks Critical, I'd like to see the work you've done.  Thanks for the support on WPT, though I'm still in anticipation of being raked over the coals. 

Big thanks to Molecule too.  I definitely did not look at the Gnome for more than a minute.  I tend not to think about speeed on a character, but this is too big to ignore. With the exception of somebody who wants to play a poorly built Taclord, the gnome Warlord is our new Gnome Barbarian. 

Hopefully gonna finish up Epic Tier Power choices tonight.  After that I'll add in some Warlord Strategies and Build links.

On Opening Shove: At level 1, my taclord kicked an ogre over the edge of a cliff. I've been in love ever since. NAD-targeting, weaponbased hostile repositioning is FUN. Also, it gets a whole lot better if you have a fighter in the party. That way you can not only move the enemy, but also hold it down, whether or not the MBA you give your fighter actually hits (because it's still a mark). That is potentially quite a lot of control, and if there's dangerous terrain nearby it's downright hilarious.

Didn't say Opening Shove was useless.  It's an OK power, but I think it's High Risk low Reward.  For a chance of a chance (enemies get a saving roll before they fall) of pushing someone off a cliff (which is not common).  If you like pushing enemies off cliffs, bull rush them.  Save your at-will choice and take whatever the feat is that add's to your bull rush's attack roll.

On Opening Shove: At level 1, my taclord kicked an ogre over the edge of a cliff. I've been in love ever since. NAD-targeting, weaponbased hostile repositioning is FUN. Also, it gets a whole lot better if you have a fighter in the party. That way you can not only move the enemy, but also hold it down, whether or not the MBA you give your fighter actually hits (because it's still a mark). That is potentially quite a lot of control, and if there's dangerous terrain nearby it's downright hilarious.

Ah, my Swordmage|Warlock has had a lot of fun in one encounter with Eldritch Strike and a Staggering Longsword as well.  The party got ambushed in a castle tower library by assassins swinging in through the windows after they climbed onto the roof.  One unlucky would-be assassin got an ES to the face swinging in through the window, just to fail his saving throw and go back out the window with a long, long fall to the ground.  Two other assassins stayed too close to the windows and were sent hurling three squares back out after failing their saving throws.  One final assassin got hurled 5 squares out the window by a Close Burst 2 power.  Of the remaining two assassins, one had to be grabbed and hurled out the window by an angry, angry Warforged using an action point and the other finally decapitated.

Anyways, back on topic...

Opening Shove is a versatile power, but it just lacks something.  Compared to Commander's Strike for granting an extra attack, its worthless.  Not only do you need to hit with an attack roll, but your ally needs to as well and doesn't get a +Int bonus to the damage.  Compared to a Bullrush, its much more accurate and turns your ability to shift 1 in to instead let an ally shift Int squares, but looses out being able to be used on a charge.  In the end, the power is best treated as a more accurate Bullrush alternative or a chance for an At-Will ally movement, with sub-par uses of being Commander's Strike-lite when neither of those uses are needed.
Don't get me wrong, its a very versatile power.  Just if you don't need a chance of making an ally Shift Int squares for your Standard Action, taking Commandeer's Strike and just using Bullrush does the same thing roughly.

Wolf Pack Tactics, I generally found to be dull.  This is mostly because I didn't care much about trying to move my allies all too much as a Warlord as it usually wasn't needed, especially if we were all already adjacent to the target.

Looking in on things as a Half-elf Inspirelord I have played?  Sky-blue rating for the race is well deserved for Versatile Master alone.  Not just for the fact of being able to grab one At-Will from another class to actually get an At-Will the really helped being a leader, but also for PMC.  Thats two At-Wills from any other class based off of Strength of Charisma to help your leader abilities.  Righteous Brand, Recovery Strike, Guiding Strike, Eldritch Strike, Pressing Strike, Ardent Strike, and Forbidding Strike are just Weapon Power possibilities alone for tactical possibilities, not to mention various Implement powers from Bard, Sorcerer, or Warlock one could grab with Arcane Implement Proficiency(Heavy Blade).  With PMC, its "Pick Two, any Two" and go to town with them, though PMCing into Bard is always a nice option for boosting Leader abilities as it allows one to take Healing Song to grant +Cha bonus to surges spent during a short rest.

Yes as a Half-elf Inspirelord, I was completely uninspired by the Warlord At-Wills.

So many people rant on about how awesome the Warlord at-wills are,... but they're not.  Commander's Strike is the exception as it is a strong hit that will double the effectiveness of the many attack and damage bonuses you can put out.  I love Warlords, but it's not for the at-wills. 

Opening shove.  It's like the Taclord's swiss army knife... Well, we're not a boy scout.  If you're gonna do something, do it right, not just have a power that can do a little bit of everything, sometimes.

Kinda surprised I haven't gotten any of the Wolf Pack Tactic's Elitists in here.

Alright, Power choices are done. 

So, that leaves Feats, weapons, Magic Items, Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies and Build Links...  Rome wasn't built in a day.

Speaking of Build Links, if anybodies interested, turn in some for me.  Please, not just a level 30 Builder printout.  I'll take anything that isn't crap and link it from the guide.

Kinda surprised I haven't gotten any of the Wolf Pack Tactic's Elitists in here.

well, it's difficult to mathematically calculate the value of positioning; there isn't a soul who denies that the raw *damage* of commander's strike is better, because that should (in most cases), be mathematically provable.

In general, both are dependent on playstyle, party composition, and situational awareness, so it's tough to argue that either is canonically better than the other. Fortunately, you get two (or more at-wills)

Great guide!  Lots of really good information on powers,is there any chance you could augment theguide with some feat/item selections for Taclords?  Or maybe some "favorite tactics" there are lots of options for tactical attacks but it would be nice to see other opinions on what has worked well for them.

Favorite Tactics is something to work on... I want to do it though.  Feats and magic items are a work in progress (probably starting tonight of over the weekend).  If you want more on the taclord, you may get something out of my Taclord build.  Keep in mind this is a build write up, so it's going to have some tactical advice, but not as much as you may be looking for.  I wrote him up as a blog, so I'll give you the links to him (which I will incorporate into the build soon, probably after copying it into a forum post). 

1. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

2. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

3. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

4. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

5. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

6. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

7. community.wizards.com/adidas/blog/2009/1...

I linked all of them because it doesn't seem possible to access another users Blogs except for the 5 most recents ones?  Does anyone know if I'm missing something, or is this a bug?

I linked all of them because it doesn't seem possible to access another users Blogs except for the 5 most recents ones?  Does anyone know if I'm missing something, or is this a bug?

if you click on:

Blog Categories
Dungeons & Dragons (10)

there are actually "next page" links at the bottom. it's insane that you have to do it like that, but there you go.

Wow, I never looked all the way down there... Still not a good system though.  So it's not a bug, it's just bad planning.  Can't complain too much, this new "Community" grows on ya after a while.

Good work. A few comments:

1. Resourceful presence. I would argue that the smart way to exploit this is to have a moderate bonus in one stat and focus almost exclusively on the other stat. Since +1/2 level +Int damage on an action point hit is better than +1/2 level +Cha temp hp if all attacks miss on an action point, it is probably better to focus on Int than Charisma as a resourceful warlord. Most reslord powers reward either int or charisma so it is quite possible to choose a good power suite with a focus on one stat. (Also, the infernal strategist level 16 feature lets you pick up another presence which will open up even more Int or Cha power options for you if you run into levels where reslords do not have a good Int or Cha power). Trying to advance both stats evenly is a sucker's bet.

2. Races:
Human: I would put a note in that adroit explorer works best with inspiring warlords since its top feature is the ability to use a level 7 (and later level 13) encounter power multiple times. Other types of warlords simply do not have level 7 powers that are as good as war of attrition for this purpose. Also you say that you value them as blue but you actually colored them skyblue.
Tieflings do not deserve sky blue for warlords. They are blue at best. The bonus to both secondaries makes them versatile but even resourcelords would rather have a bonus to strength and one secondary. Bloodhunt, infernal wrath, etc are not comparable to versatile master--in fact, they don't seem much better than the changeling racial abilities.
Gnome: Also note that being small precludes using most polearms and reduces the one-handed weapons available to you.
Half-orc/goliath/minotaur/warforged/Longtooth shifter. You are underrating these warlord races. The strength bump gives them more or less the same stat options as humans and allows most of the arrays that would be optimal for half-elves, tieflings, etc. If devas are blue, they are all blue.

3. Powers:
Diabolic stratagem: you should note the potential combination with provoke overextension to force the enemy to take the attack.
Hammer formation: given the text, you should probably color it black and make it blue for resourcelords. However, when I ran the math, I found that, hammer and anvil deals a lot more damage and only needs one party member with a good MBA while hammer formation requires everyone in the party to be weapon users with good attacks. (My own analysis indicated that the break-even point is somewhere around four weapon using characters in the party which is an unusual situation for a five person party and is not guaranteed for a six person party).
(23) Pillar to post. This power has a potential niche for resourcelords who take the infernal strategist paragon path. Since infernal pincer lets them add their int or Cha to damage for them and any ally who flanks with them, a multi-attack is worthwhile for such a flanking infernal strategist. Of course, an infernal strategist probably also picked up either tactical or inspiring presence and thus it has to compete with the full benefits of great dragon war cry or sudden assault.
(27). Uplifting assault's niche is probably battlelords of Kord. +2 to hit/+cha to damage for two targets (via supreme inspiration) is a good reason to get an extra inspiring word use rather than just taking a power that heals.

Daily powers:
Calculated assault. You mention that taclords do better with lead the attack. So do Int-based Resourcelords. Lead the Attack doesn't require tactical presence. Given the competition, I can't see this as blue.
Fearless rescue. I've gone back and forth on this power, but I think I would rate it as blue. Here's why: Charisma based warlords have bastion of defense as their prime power at low levels, but by the time you hit level 6 or so, 8-9 temporary hit points is a pretty lackluster effect for a daily power. On the other hand, if your charisma warlord is using powers like staggering spin and inspired belligerence, you may actually be somewhat short on healing. The combination of bastion of defense aging poorly and limited healing powers makes fearless rescue more attractive at later levels than it is at level 1.
Situational Advantage (5). I think you underrate this for resourcelords. Since the damage bonus is an effect, they don't need to hit making the heavy thrown disadvantage much less significant. And, as it applies to every attack, the damage bonus will add up very quickly if allies start making multi-attacks or dropping action points.

Utility powers:
(6)Forward observer: Deserves red. A power so situational that it will probably only come up once or twice a day does not deserve any benefit for being at-will.
Tactical Supervision: With a number of fighter, avenger, barbarian and warlord powers that can be used on a charge, saying that it only effects one BA is selling it short.
(10): Strider stance. I think you underrate this power. +2 damage is not a lot, but given to a wizard or other ally with multiple attacks, it can add up quickly. If it were written, "for the rest of the encounter, any round you don't need your move action (except to shift), you or an ally gains +2 damage" it might sound better. But that is essentially what it is.

Bravo, you rated Wolfpack Tactics blue, which tells me you've got some experience. That power is way overrated in other guides.

I've done the math on Provoke Overextension. If you're wearing a shield and you're a Bravelord with high Cha, it's still slightly inferior to Hammer and Anvil damage wise (which means it's even more inferior once you factor in the damage you might take). However, if you've got a defender to punish them, the damage is fantastic. So basically, only get it (and use it) if you've got a defender to punish them. Recommend Black with no defender, Sky Blue with a defender to punish them, and one shade lower if your AC is terrible (low Cha and no shield) if you want to get detailed.

Sorry about the delay folks, I know you were dying for more...  I got kinda bored, so I took a week off.  Anyway, I just added the feats section.  I only put in the feats for all warlords, general feats, and some racial feats.  If you find that I am not including some very important feat, please let me know, and I'll probably throw it in.

I think I'm gonna do Paragon Paths next.  I'm also going to do a quick bit about good weapon choices for a warlord, not the long drown out ones on different types as some guides do, I just don't think it's necessary.

Alright, Paragon Paths are finally up.  Epic Destinies are next, which shouldn't take long, but may be a while, as I need to sleep very soon.  After that, I plan to put up some links to some Warlord builds.  I plan to only make relatively standard ones, so I'd gladly link any builds that you guys want to share.  I think I'm getting closer to finishing now, so it won't be much longer.

As far as racial feats go, Action Surge deserves special mention. This is one of the main reasons, if not "the" reason to take human. For a TacLord hitting with Lead the Attack, an action point is the only option with this feat. If you can convince one of your allies to aid another, get CA through flanking, 16 STR and +3 proficiency weapon, this gives you a +13 to hit at level 1. That's a close to a guarunteed hit as you're going to get.

I don't know where or if this belongs in the guide anywhere, but I've found that having an avenger in the party with divine guidance is a godsend for a Taclord trying to get a big hit (such as lead the attack) in.

Avenger oath's target.
Taclord does Lead the Attack (or other big-buff), rerolls using divine guidance if necessary.
Death ensues.
DM gets sad about his quickly dying big-bad.
Rocks fall everybody dies.

Good times.
Soxbox, this Divine Guidance, is it a utility power or feature?  I'm not aware of this ability, but would like to know more.
As for Action Surge, I have added that, and I appreciate the tip, because you're 100% right.  The feat section wasn't the easiest, so I mostly did warlord only feats.
I'm gonna start working on the Epic Destinies right now, which I hopefully can have done in a few hours.
Divine Guidance is a Channel Divinity power for Avengers.  Immediate interrupt to grant a second attack roll to an ally who swings at your oath target.
Thanks, thats nice to know.  I don't think i'm gonna go into Party Synergies, because they're just so many to choose from.  Avengers and Warlords don't seem to be the greatest combo during the heroic tier though, where most of the Warlords buffs are attack bonuses, and the Avenger is the class that needs those the least.

Anyway, Epic Destinies are up, so I think I'm gonna start working on some character builds to link.
Nice work.

Caging Glaive for a reach TacLord is amazing.  Yes, of course it's lame for non-reach warlords, but for the great spear-wielding TacLord?  It's not even close to lame.  It should be sky blue for reachLords.  If you don't use a reach weapon, then obviously, you won't be picking it anyway.  This power is one of the few really nice low-level controller powers for a warlord.  It works fabulous to move a creature behind your battle line so he's surrounded by your allies for easy picking.  Works even better if you use a grasping weapon or have a defender handy to keep them in place.  Plus, it still does some great stuff on a miss.  This power spells very bad news for the enemy you use it against.  Again, even on a MISS, you get to:
1. Slide that enemy next to you (doesn't matter how many squares you have to move it).
2. Deal half damage.
3. Slow the creature until end of your next turn
4. Grants CA to all creatures until end of next turn.

Also, here's another post recommending the Diabolic Stratagem>Action Point>Provoke Overextension maneuver.  Used correctly, this can yield big damage.
I'm still not a fan of Caging Glaive.  A level 9 DAILY power should do more than slide an enemy a couple squares.  As for slow and granting Combat Advantage, most monsters aren't gonna run away, so if you're already holding a line, slow isn't that big a deal.  I put very little stock into free CA, because it's not hard to get.  This power is situationally useful, but I like powers that are good at least 90% of the time.  If you like positioning games, Knock them Down is better than this.

I just checked on my entries for Provoke Overextension and Diabolic Stratagem, and I'm gonna leave them at blue, because I think that's still very fair.  I've checked out this combo, and the problem is is that it takes two many resources for something that requires fairly careful positioning.  2 encounter powers and an action point for something our encounter powers will be doing by themselves in a few levels.
I'm not denying the potential of this combo, but I don't find it enough to give these powers a Sky Blue rating.
I'm still not a fan of Caging Glaive.  A level 9 DAILY power should do more than slide an enemy a couple squares.  As for slow and granting Combat Advantage, most monsters aren't gonna run away, so if you're already holding a line, slow isn't that big a deal.  I put very little stock into free CA, because it's not hard to get.  This power is situationally useful, but I like powers that are good at least 90% of the time.  If you like positioning games, Knock them Down is better than this.

I just checked on my entries for Provoke Overextension and Diabolic Stratagem, and I'm gonna leave them at blue, because I think that's still very fair.  I've checked out this combo, and the problem is is that it takes two many resources for something that requires fairly careful positioning.  2 encounter powers and an action point for something our encounter powers will be doing by themselves in a few levels.
I'm not denying the potential of this combo, but I don't find it enough to give these powers a Sky Blue rating.

I agree with the blue rating for the combo (by itself I don't think diabolic stratagem is very good). However, I will point out that the combo allows you a full party beatdown which would otherwise not be available until level 17. That's 10 levels early, not "a few levels early." Also, the attacks granted are honest to goodness opportunity attacks which is a little better than free action basic attacks for some builds (heavy blade opportunist, fighter combat superiority, and the level 16 knight commander +Cha to damage on opportunity attacks feature all spring to mind).

Finally, at least in combination with a mark, it is actually a better full party beatdown than hail of steel because you have the guaranteed mark trigger and the free action attack from provoke overextension making it potentially a "whole party beatdown plus two extra attacks."
Thanks, thats nice to know.  I don't think i'm gonna go into Party Synergies, because they're just so many to choose from.  Avengers and Warlords don't seem to be the greatest combo during the heroic tier though, where most of the Warlords buffs are attack bonuses, and the Avenger is the class that needs those the least.

I think you're wrong about that. Here's why.

First, only taclords are in the habit of granting large attack bonuses. Resourcelords, inspirelords, and bravelords are at least as likely to grant damage bonuses (adaptive stratagem, inspired belligerence, warlord's strike, war of attrition)--which avengers need and make excellent use of.

Second, with their oath of enmity, avengers have the strongest basic attack available to take advantage of commander's strike (which comes with a damage bonus), hammer and anvil, staggering spin, lambs to the slaughter, etc. The extra 20-30% likelihood to land makes a huge difference. Also, some avenger strategies (most notably the martyr retvenger strategy) pile up large, short duration damage bonuses that can be further exploited with commander's strike. If the retribution avenger has triggered his censure two or three times, there is no better commander's strike target--even if oath of enmity is not active.

Warlords--even taclords--and avengers work very well together.

Sorry, sometimes I forget I'm not just writing about Taclords (as they're my personal favorite).  As for striker synergies, I can't help but compare other strikers to a TWF Ranger...  You are correct though, Warlords and Avengers are compatible companions to say the least.

Also, I've done a lot of work on my Example builds.  I already had a Tactical Warlord completed, but I've recently added a Human Inspiring Warlord.  I'm in the process of doing up a Tiefling Resourceful Warlord, and I'll be posting the Heroic Tier in a few minutes.  You can find all these links at the bottom of the Handbook.
Sorry, sometimes I forget I'm not just writing about Taclords (as they're my personal favorite)

I wonder why almost all guidebooks try to focus on entire classes instead of subclasses/builds.  Read any guide on warlords with the aim of making an X presence warlord and you will have to sift through blue and sky blue ratings for powers you will never take because they are meant for the Y and Z presences.

The power suite of a Tactical warlord is not likely to have much in common with an Inspiring warlord, nor the Feylock with the Infernalock, nor the Orb wizard with the Staff wizard.  Likewise the magic items and, to a slightly lesser extent, the feat choices.  So why mix them all together in the same guide?  Given how differently two builds of the same class can play out, even when they play as closely as a Cha-focused Bravura and Inspiring warlord, what makes people think they can evaluate all the builds of a class adequately within the same framework?

(This is rhetorical.  I too love Tactical warlords and always read warlord guides from that sole perspective.  I remember the first time I saw War of Attrition rated sky blue.  "How could it be sky blue?  No one has a charisma bonus worth mentioning.")
I do enjoy all of the Warlord Presences (ehh, maybe not Inspiring), but it is indeed true that most of my experience is with Tactical Warlords.  However, due to my fascination with the build, I have looked and compared them to the other presences and their power and ability selection, so I do have some understanding of them.  While not to the extent of the Tactical presence, I have indeed spent a fair amount of time studying the other presences. 
I've tried my best to grade the powers on an equal basis, and I note what presences a power works best or worst for.
In my own defense, I mention often in my guide the things I value in power and feat selection, and they just happen to be most of the things a standard Taclord can excel at.  I don't put much stock in positioning or granting CA (as I find it easy enough to get without wasting resources), and I'll always take a strong attack buff over a mild healing ability.  Even though Inspiring Warlords are the best natural healers among the presences, the fact that dead enemys deal no damage is still important, meaning that all presences should have (in my opinion) more buffing powers than healing. 
Sorry if I sound too defensive there, I just want to make myself clear.  In all seriousness, if you have found a mistake, discrepancy or something that you disagree with in my guide, please inform me of it, and I may be found to be mistaken.
I do enjoy all of the Warlord Presences (ehh, maybe not Inspiring), but it is indeed true that most of my experience is with Tactical Warlords.  However, due to my fascination with the build, I have looked and compared them to the other presences and their power and ability selection, so I do have some understanding of them.  While not to the extent of the Tactical presence, I have indeed spent a fair amount of time studying the other presences. 
I've tried my best to grade the powers on an equal basis, and I note what presences a power works best or worst for.
In my own defense, I mention often in my guide the things I value in power and feat selection, and they just happen to be most of the things a standard Taclord can excel at.  I don't put much stock in positioning or granting CA (as I find it easy enough to get without wasting resources), and I'll always take a strong attack buff over a mild healing ability.  Even though Inspiring Warlords are the best natural healers among the presences, the fact that dead enemys deal no damage is still important, meaning that all presences should have (in my opinion) more buffing powers than healing. 
Sorry if I sound too defensive there, I just want to make myself clear.  In all seriousness, if you have found a mistake, discrepancy or something that you disagree with in my guide, please inform me of it, and I may be found to be mistaken.

The funny thing about this is that you seem to be taking the WotC designer line on what inspiring warlords do rather than looking at their best powers and seeing what happens if you take them all. At least through heroic tier, inspiring warlords are, hands down, the best warlords at the whole "dead enemies do no damage" thing. A warlord who has hammer and anvil, warlord's strike, war of attrition, inspired belligerence, instant planning, and a vanguard weapon enables whole party novas in a way that taclords only wish they could do. (Tack on lamb before wolves, staggering spin, and warlord's resurgence (why don't you use rain of blows/storm of blades/claws of the griffon again and I'll use war of attrition again afterwards) if you want to include daily attacks). With all of the damage-boosting and attack boosting powers they get, it's actually somewhat hard to find space for healing or save-granting powers.

It's easy to see inspiring warlords as the healing warlords because of their presence bonus. But their good powers all point in a much more aggressive direction.

I've definitely realized the Inspiring Warlord have the best picks during the heroic tier, as I'm usually jealous while planning out another Warlord build.  Of course, I've also realized while building an Infernal Strategist Resourcelord, that by later paragon and Epic tier, the Tactical powers are head and shoulders above the rest.  Each build seems to have their time to shine.
I've definitely realized the Inspiring Warlord have the best picks during the heroic tier, as I'm usually jealous while planning out another Warlord build.  Of course, I've also realized while building an Infernal Strategist Resourcelord, that by later paragon and Epic tier, the Tactical powers are head and shoulders above the rest.  Each build seems to have their time to shine.

My point wasn't so much how good the inspiring warlord picks are but the direction that they take the character. It continues through paragon and epic too. Great dragon war cry, hail of steel, etc are damage focusing rather than healing powers. The only aspect of the inspiringlord that is more suited to a healing focus than any other warlord presence is the presence bonus.
Sign In to post comments