Barbarian: Swift Panther Rage

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

What is the exact movement on this power?

All things considered... is it {6 Base +2 +2shift=10}

Or is it {6 Base +2 = 8} or {shift 2 only}

Can anyone clarify... we're playing right now..

Bal

There is no movement happening when you use the power.

While you are in the rage your base speed increases by 2 (so 6+2=8) Meaning you can take a move action to "walk" 8 squares. Also, you can take a move action to shift 2 squares (instead of your normal 1 square shift).

Is this an either or, or is this in addition?

can you move 8 and then shift 2, or choose shift or move?

... also, do you have to attack to get the effect? unlike the "Form of X" that the Wardens have?

The rage is like a stance with an attack when you first activated.

While in the rage (until you use another rage, the encounter ends, or you die) you can move 8 squares as a move action or you can shift 2 squares as a move action.

Outstanding... thank you very much.

The wording is a bit cryptic... it says "and".

Thanks for clearing that up!

Bal

Suoitidure: While in the rage (until you use another rage, the encounter ends, or you die) you can move 8 squares as a move action or you can shift 2 squares as a move action.

I would agree with this reading accept for one thing the power states clearly:  Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed AND can shift 2 AS A MOVE ACTION.

If it was either or it should be written: Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed OR you can shift 2 AS A MOVE ACTION.

For this gramatical error I will continue to allow a full 10 movement in my games as the move action  (8 walk + 2 shift) makes it a bit more fun too. The barbarian has been nerfed enough as it is....
Suoitidure: While in the rage (until you use another rage, the encounter ends, or you die) you can move 8 squares as a move action or you can shift 2 squares as a move action.

I would agree with this reading accept for one thing the power states clearly:  Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed AND can shift 2 AS A MOVE ACTION.

If it was either or it should be written: Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed OR you can shift 2 AS A MOVE ACTION.

For this gramatical error I will continue to allow a full 10 movement in my games as the move action  (8 walk + 2 shift) makes it a bit more fun too. The barbarian has been nerfed enough as it is....

Yes, as always you can ignore how the power actually works and play it as you want.  As long as the DM and the player both realize that's not how the power works, have at it.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Just playing it as it is written if WotC can't get their gramma right who am I to correct them. Their intention should be clear.. Money Mouth
Just playing it as it is written if WotC can't get their gramma right who am I to correct them. Their intention should be clear.. Money Mouth

Except it is clear.

Effect: You enter the rage of the swift panther. Until the rage ends, you gain a +2 bonus to speed and can shift 2 squares as a move action.

Phrased differently but with the exact same meaning:

Effect: You enter the rage of the swift panther.
Until the rage ends, you gain a +2 bonus to speed.
Until the rage ends you can shift 2 squares as a move action.

More generically:

Effect: [Named Rage].  Until the rage ends you [Effect] and [Effect]. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

I read the way you phrased it you have to choose either the bonus to speed or the shift 2 as a move action when you use the power, that (may) last all encounter..
Or:
Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed.
Or you can shift 2 as a move action (once).

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis

I read the way you phrased it you have to choose either the bonus to speed or the shift 2 as a move action when you use the power, that (may) last all encounter..
Or:
Until the rage ends you gain a +2 bonus to speed.
Or you can shift 2 as a move action (once).

Actually you can use that "Shift 2" as often as you like.  It just takes up a move action.
Show
I know it is.  But the way Kathump phrased his "this is how it should be if it meant what it actually means RAW" could be argued you gain a +2 bonus to speed, or you can shift 2 once.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
I know it is.  But the way Kathump phrased his "this is how it should be if it meant what it actually means RAW" could be argued you gain a +2 bonus to speed, or you can shift 2 once.

No, by RAW it is pretty clearly defined as "Until the end of the encounter you can shift two squares as a move action".
Show
Sign In to post comments