What's the average age of a D&D player these days?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

When I started playing D&D back in the 80's the game stores were crowded with kids at the age of 13-20, but these days the remaining stores have put all D&D material in the back of the stores, and the only people finding the way into that dungeon is people like me, in the 40's or maybe at least 30-45 years of age. I seldom see any kids, guess they are at the computer game store instead.

Anyway, I have seen WoC making surveys on their site asking about age, but I have never seen any reports on the average age, or the distribution of age among the D&D players these day.

Does anybody know? Anybody seen any statistics?

It would just be interesting to know, are we a dying breed among a digital generation taking over, focusing only on computer games? or are new players finding and enjoying D&D as I did a long time back?

I have seen 16-20 and 30-40 ranges in about equal numbers. But that is just my own observations though, not any survey.

Et in arcadia ego~Even in paradise I am here Est Sularus Oth Mithas~My Honor Is My Life You, sir, are a liar. Or delusional. I like your style.- Zombie_Babies
Show
The two editions are very different...and make for two different games. In general, 3.0/3.5 is built around more-or-less full freedom in terms of character customization. In contrast, 4.0 is built around balance and ease of play. Honestly, I think WotC should have maintained both lines as parallel games.
(real life friends came up with this not me) The Resident Nonexistant Antichrist Neanderthal Amish Werewolf Jesus Delusion.

this tends to vary among region.

i don't see too many kids/teens playing in the FLGS i go to, but that applies to EVERY game, not just D&D... be it M:tG, Carcasonne, Settlers, etc... i do know that they play since they buy stuff every now and then when i'm there, but that tends to be late at night after i just finished work and long after their school's over so i don't know what the day business is like.

our game group features people from the 18-40 range. the youngest guys are college/university 1st years, me and my buddies are in our mid-late 20s our 3rd ed GM is in his early 30's and the owner of the FLGS (when he plays) is in his 40's... early 50's at most... i've never bothered or cared to ask. he just looks a bit younger then my folks.

i'm sure once we start making babies we'll introduce our kids to the game, but for now, i don't see the younger kids coming in and playing... doesn't say anything about them doing so at home.

3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Our group is 21-26.  Average & median ages are both  23.

We've been playing together for a while and aside from the newest player have all been playing for quite a few years.

We sure don't play at the FLGS, the majority of those people there fit the stereotype to a tee (in my experience) and are not pleasant company. We also don't end up going to the FLGS very often, maybe once every two or three months I'll buy some minis, paint, dice or cards; but there's really no attraction in going. I certainly won't buy books from them when I can get them cheaper and usually with better service online or at a large chain book store.

My experience? 20s-30s. Least, that's the case for my groups and most other groups I've encountered.

Though I do recall a time I went to Borders. I was browsing through the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, and they had the little section at the end of one bookcase for the RPG books. These three kids, they had to have been about 10-12, were pulling out the D&D books, and tallying up the cost in their heads (and bemoaning how expensive they were). I was surprised, since I personally hadn't seen anyone so young get into D&D. They eventually settled on the DMG alone and walked off, but it was funny seeing such young (would-be) players.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

from the groups i've played with....mid teens to mid 20s?  though there is always the blacksheep (though on the older side)... i miss that group... even if *name kept secret in order to protect the innocent* was a sucky DM in his 40s.  another guy was probably in his 30s but was a good DM, another guy had a business in the place we rp'd selling jewelry and he looked like a tolkien dwarf o_o he must have been in his 50s, he would have been awesome to have game with us

I'm 30. My last two groups each had four 20 years olds and four 40 year olds by coincidence. That makes the average 30 (or 15 on a miss).

I'm this many:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Well, I'm 24.

I have two groups, well one regular one and one irregular one.

The regular one has a 57 year old woman (who happens to be my mother - yes my mum plays D&D) and a 17 year old guy (who by the way is my brother) - family D&D.

The other group is me and my brother's friends, so all about 17/18 years old.

I don't actually know any one else near where I live that plays, so I'm not sure if these are average ages for the UK.

I would assume that the average age is rather old. Considering that I would guess that almost no one plays before they can functionally read the books or do math. On the other hand there is really no age cap, so you would see a scewed distribution of the ages of players. Therefore the average age of a player would be much higher than the area of the distribution where most player ages are centered. A more interesting question would be what is the most common age of a player?

Show
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
What Clan are you? There is no equality. There exists only equity.

Widen your definition of average. Average does not always mean "mean" if you know what I mean. It can also mean median (Take the age of every DnD player, put them in order, take the middle one.) or mode (most common age). The question you suggest the OP ask is the question already asked, among others.

Sir Casm, Lord of the Oblivious

I've played in a couple of groups and they've all been in the 17-27 year gap. Of course, this number is a bit interesting since I started out when I was 17 or so and I'm 24 now, and I'm including everyone I've ever played with in this number.

Bard.jpg

I would say probably mid 20s.

http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.

I'd probably say  30s to 40s. In my state, at least. There's always a kid or two in some town that wants to play, but they're too far spread out.

Widen your definition of average. Average does not always mean "mean" if you know what I mean. It can also mean median (Take the age of every DnD player, put them in order, take the middle one.) or mode (most common age). The question you suggest the OP ask is the question already asked, among others.

No need to give us a math lesson, leave that to owls.
Et in arcadia ego~Even in paradise I am here Est Sularus Oth Mithas~My Honor Is My Life You, sir, are a liar. Or delusional. I like your style.- Zombie_Babies
Show
The two editions are very different...and make for two different games. In general, 3.0/3.5 is built around more-or-less full freedom in terms of character customization. In contrast, 4.0 is built around balance and ease of play. Honestly, I think WotC should have maintained both lines as parallel games.
(real life friends came up with this not me) The Resident Nonexistant Antichrist Neanderthal Amish Werewolf Jesus Delusion.

I seldom see any kids, guess they are at the computer game store instead.

Oh no, they are there in the store with you. You just have to walk over to the tables where they are playing Yugio. Or at least, thats the case in my local gaming store.

The average age is more like 18-30 something, for D&D players in my local shop anyways. You have point though, I don't exactly see "kids" playing D&D. Its always older teenagers.

Lots-O-RPG's Played: D&D (Advanced 2nded, 3.0, 3.5, 4thed & Pathfinder), StarWars (RCR & Saga), Scion, Shadowrun (4thed), Call of Cthulhu (Original % & d20), Warhammer, BESM (d20-3.5 compatable), Fudge (Fudge on the fly variant).

In my Area, the average age of the Dungeon & Dragon Player is anywhere from 15-25, usually not much older then that unless you have a dedicated Group going. Considering this is more of a Retirement Town then anything else, I'm often surprised to find that there are more then Three Groups at any given time, my Own included.

20804.jpg

well, for my table (counting myself) - the ages are: 44, 43, 40, 40, 39, and 10 (my daughter) - so an average of... 36 :D

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

27 27 26 26 24

I do notice a lot of adults playing D&D, but alot have taken into account with Magic: The Gathering and Star Wars.

I think that teens are still catching on with D&D, but they just seem to be overtaken by technology... I hardly understand the need for Pop Culture with the pimped up cars, the hot girls, and the awkward way of walking and wearing clothes... That's something that bugs me.

I am a teen, but I'm not wrapped up in that stereotype world of 'Cool Kids' ... this is probably why not so many teens are playing D&D... let alone doing anything that benefits their well being.

Resident Paladin of Insane Imaginations

PbP Haven Group (Relocated) & My Groups
If you missed the old Play-by-Post Haven, don't fret! You still have a chance to play with others in the community! Click here to go to the new Play-by-Post Haven!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Heroes' Last Stand; Worlds Abroad; City of Ruins
Currently playing in:
Worlds Abroad (Nelasene, Human Dreamweaver -- Lv. 22; Raiann Firescale, Dragonborn Arcane Monk -- Lv. 22)
Fable [4e] (Karinna, Dragonborn Warlord -- Lv. 1)
Lolth's Purging: Shadows of Treachery (Kuri Evanglar, Shardmind Wizard -- Lv. 15)
City of Ruins [Kobold City] (Karnat Lightsoul, Kobold Cleric -- Lv. 1)
City of Ruins [Frozen Citadel] (Xeadin, Human Paladin -- Lv. 1)

Mirthomir (Enara Harpsong, Eladrin Wizard -- Lv. 1)
Last Breaths of Ashenport (Malkary Runestone, Goliath Runepriest -- Lv. 8)
D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Miss playing in a Modern setting? Want to get a group together? Don't miss out on the brand new opportunity to do so in the Modern Worlds Haven forums

Wanna have fun with the monster creator in the DMG or on the DDI website, and don't know where else to put them?

Post your unique creations here in any one of the threads matching the first letter of your monster. You can post as many creations as you like.
Happy building! ;)

D&D Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki

Expand your D&D game with the Dungeons & Dragons Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki!

Covers everytihng from Canon to 3.5 Homebrew and Open game content, and even to Homebrew 4e content. Will soon have content from my upcoming RPG.

I just started playing for the first time a few weeks ago. I am 26, my DM is 26 but everyone else in our group is still in high school and a few of them have just started for the first time also. I have noticed starting out a little older and the ones that are younger, the younger ones catch on alot quicker on certain things then I do. Now I have played tons of rpgs use d&d rules as well as other rpg that don't but for me it's the lvling up that is taking me a little bit to get. Everything else I am getting down, but I just think it might take me a while to get the hang of it. 

Not to age myself or sound like an unimaginable dork, but my first game of D&D was when I was 6 years old ( /hug parents).  I am 24 now and am still an avid player of D&D and many other RPGs

I don't game at stores anymore, been banned from a few for reasons unimportant to this topic, but I'v never seen a kid in a game store looking at D&D. The few I'v seen in game stores have always been looking at magic cards or warhammer figs.

The youngest person in our groups is around 23 (I think). We try to avoid younglings in our games, due to past experiences. The kids (15-19) we've allowed to play have been a bother. Endless questions, interrupting other peoples turns while they're talking, interrupting the DMs constantly and having a very hard time dealing with failure.  (in 3.5, one of the kids actually threw a fit and tore up his books when he quit due to death of his character, which we still shake our heads at the memory)

Oh and we like to avoid people who use terms like pwn and noob in real life. Thats a level of "nerd" none of us can handle.

I'm 30, if it matters.

Long Live Dragonlance and the Nexus! I still want an athasian nightmare beast and a warforged dragon mini! "Look, Meat, I'll tear your face off, rip your throat out and eat what's left-because that's what I do to food like you." ~Thrikreen Intimidation Tactic.
My Custom 4th edition Content (New Content:0)
* My Personal 4e Darksun Material found below: Currently updating.

3.5, one of the kids actually threw a fit and tore up his books when he quit due to death of his character.

The death of a character can be seriously traumatic, depending on how closely a person identified with em.

Here in michigan the biggest store around is Pandemonium which I've been going to for around 10 years.  There is almost always a D&D group going I'd say 5-6 days a week.   I cant remember seeing anyone under 18 playing more than maybe twice in recent years (lets say the last five).

I myself started  (trying) to play DND when i was like 10 (I'm 36 now) but nowadays I see virtually zero teenagers (or at least people that are obviously teenagers) playing.

The Teenagers play Yughio, the college age and older play warhammer , Magic and D&D.

With the age distribution from youngest to oldest seeming to be something like  YuGiOh > Magic > D&D = Warhammer

Not to say there arent some exceptions, I mean I've seen 40 year olds playing Yughioh and I've seen 12 year olds playing D&D but they are rare exceptions.
In the last group I was in the age range was rather tiny 22-25, with three of the 5 players being 23, as well as the dm. Currently, the gaming shop I go to for Encounters the age ranges from 18 to 31, with most falling in the 20-25 range.

I'm 23 btw.
Just as relevant now as it was then.

Question is did anyone really need to complain about it.   

Oldest person in my group just recently graduated from High School, we have 2 juniors, 2 freshmen (im one), and the recent graduate. One of the Juniors is our DM.

Technically, we have a recent graduate, 2 seniors, and 2 sophomores now

Srry about that im just extremly glad SCHOOOOOOOOLS OUT, FOR, EVER! (CATHCH THE REFERENCE! PERCEPTION CHECK! PERCEPTION CHECK!!!!![yes, I said it. Deal with it.])

Just as relevant now as it was then.

Relevant or not, necro is poor form.

Question is did anyone really need to complain about it.   

This is the internet.  That's all I really need to say, I think.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I'm 34 and my group is upper 20's through 60's.

Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
^^ See?!?!  Poor form!

Section Six Soldier