Pro Tour Austin

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, PT Austin starts tomorrow.  Any thoughts on it? 

I'm very interested to see how it turns out.  Will Zoo use Landfall creatures, what Blue control deck will have the most success, what combo deck(s) will see play, etc.  Should be fun.

Ditto. Here is to not having a repeat of Berlin. Or should I say " The day Elves ruled the world."

i cant wait to see how the meta shapes up, as long as hypergenesis doesnt top 8 that is

I think the breakout deck might be Dark Depths. Since a lot of people are kind of aware of it, but most dismiss it as bad. I don't think it'll dominate as much as elves did, but I think it'll make a showing. Maybe the BW disruptive aggro deck, but with dark depths combo thrown in?

Aside from that, the usual decks, Zoo, being the default top aggro deck, Tezzerator, Being a decent deck, MWC, now with the tools to beat blue decks, Next level blue, Faeries etc.

If people have caught onto what a couple of people in my play group have, then Dredge could be MASSIVE. But I expect it to take a couple of events more in the season before that happens. But Dredge does seem ridiculous. It can now win on turn one like 5% of the time, which doesn't sound super amazing, but it's pretty nuts, and is still going off reliably by turn three....

Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

yea dredge in testing has been insane, but if the players are expecting it they wont lose games 2 and 3.

if people dismiss it as bad, as i expect most players will, i wouldnt be surprised to see cascade do moderately well against anything that doesnt run Chalice.

other than that, i expect the normal variety of zoo, fae, NLU, etc, and hopefully some new variety of Tezz

i think some sort of deck built to utilize silence can beat out the other decks aslong as it has a fast clock. i just can't wait for the event coverage to go online

Have a Hilarious magic related story that you want shared? Send me a PM, and your story might be posted at

myblog

Dredge was mentioned in that Anatomy of a Round thing, so at least one person is playing it.  I expect them to do well; Dredge is a very underrated and powerful deck right now. 

Burnwillow Control looks interesting.  From what we've seen of the deck, it appears to be like Gifts Rock (without the Black?), but with the Grove of the Burnwillows-Punishing Fire engine.

the twitter updates being featured on the event coverage page are very interesting, a few notes i like:

1: Ravenous Trap is supposedly insane, so im guessing dredge isnt winning a whole lot of matches.

2: Connelly Woods is using Sorin and recursion with success

3: Dark Depths is seeing play

The latest Twitter update says that Dredge is being played a lot.  Looks like the pros got it right.

we will see. another interesting fact, LSV is playing the Hexmage deck, and the list looks pretty strong.

Anyone got a link to these updates? Thanks in advance.

Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

LSV's list is basic off of the Stifle-nought decks of legacy. very cool, he seems to endorse repeal as the all around answer to beat the meta. his zoo match up looks awful thou, it's basicly 5 sweapers and...... well lets hope he plays the mirrior all day long

Have a Hilarious magic related story that you want shared? Send me a PM, and your story might be posted at

myblog

So far the most intresting thing I've seen is that Burning Willows deck.  Apparently it also uses the  Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundary combo. Having multiple cheap synergies like that throughout a control deck seems like a great way to cause lots of trouble for whose ever facing them.

Anyone got a link to these updates? Thanks in advance.

The most recent one is on the Tournament Coverage page.  I assume that the others are on Twitter somewhere. 

@mr socks: Well, he can always Thoughtseize/counter/Clique Path to Exile and just combo off.

So, the Archetype Breakdown is up.  Zoo (non-Landfall) and Dredge are on top, followed by NLU, Dark Depths, Affinity, Bant, Hypergenesis, and Death Cloud.  Other fringe decks like Thopter Foundry and Doran are also making an apperance.  MWC decks, with Black, Red, or no splash, have good numbers as well.

Oh wow I completely forgot that was this weekend.  Looks like some people are playing our deck twins :P?

NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

Oh wow I completely forgot that was this weekend.  Looks like some people are playing our deck twins :P?

Yep.  MWC has a pretty big presence, and at least one build is playing Phyrexian Arena maindeck.  He opted for Ajani Vengeant and Sorin Markov over Elspeth and Sacred Mesa, as well as Ranger of Eos over Proclamation of Rebirth.  Maindeck Ghostly Prison maindeck seems like a good call with the amount of Dredge running around, and it's just fine against any aggro deck.

Yep.  MWC has a pretty big presence, and at least one build is playing Phyrexian Arena maindeck.  He opted for Ajani Vengeant and Sorin Markov over Elspeth and Sacred Mesa, as well as Ranger of Eos over Proclamation of Rebirth.  Maindeck Ghostly Prison maindeck seems like a good call with the amount of Dredge running around, and it's just fine against any aggro deck.

Yeah, I'm a fan of ghostly prison and kagemaro, but I'm not sure on the other stuff.  I also like the deck tech they just have of the gifts deck that goes thopter foundry or dark depths.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

So far it's interesting, with the two most obvious decks that didn't even lost the fetchlands - Zoo and NLU - not dominating a lot. I rather see Hypergenesis at the top8 than Dredge, but the latter seems harder to disrupt, as always.

Nice to see Emeria - powered white getting some respect at last. Overall, seems a rather controllish metagame to be the beginning of the season.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

So far it's interesting, with the two most obvious decks that didn't even lost the fetchlands - Zoo and NLU - not dominating a lot. I rather see Hypergenesis at the top8 than Dredge, but the latter seems harder to disrupt, as always.

Nice to see Emeria - powered white getting some respect at last. Overall, seems a rather controllish metagame to be the beginning of the season.

I don't agree about your assertions about zoo, your opinion about hypergenesis, or your overall decision.

1: Zoo did well.  Multiple zoo players have undefeated records in extended, it doesn't really get much better than that.

2: Not many people are playing hypergenesis for a good reason.  Also, no one has done well with it so far.  In addition, dredge is harder to hate out and easily as fast.  You also just ignore the dark depths deck, which is probably the most likely to do well.

3: It's not that controllish.  Lets look at this.  What are the top 3 decks played?  Hmmmm, zoo, then dredge, and then dark depths.  Not very controllish.

Top 8 appears to be this:

Tsuyoshi Ikeda (Zoo w. Spectral Procession)

Yuuya Watanabe (Dredge)

Martin Juza (Domain Zoo)

Hunter Burton (Zoo w. Molten Rain)

Evangelis Papatsarouchas (Hypergenesis)

Brian Kibler (Four-Color Grove Zoo w. Baneslayer)

Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa (UB Dark Depths)

Four Zoo variants, 2 Dredge, Dark Depths, and Hypergenesis

As I expected, contol decks didn't succeed because the format hasn't been established yet. I really liked Heezy's deck, but I don't see it as that much better than a well-built NLU deck. I'm also happy to see Thopter Foundry emerge onto the scene.

I don't agree about your assertions about zoo, your opinion about hypergenesis, or your overall decision.

1: Zoo did well.  Multiple zoo players have undefeated records in extended, it doesn't really get much better than that.

2: Not many people are playing hypergenesis for a good reason.  Also, no one has done well with it so far.  In addition, dredge is harder to hate out and easily as fast.  You also just ignore the dark depths deck, which is probably the most likely to do well.

3: It's not that controllish.  Lets look at this.  What are the top 3 decks played?  Hmmmm, zoo, then dredge, and then dark depths.  Not very controllish.

Yeah, it was a fake impression I had due to the early coverage of the Pro Tour, when feature matches covered more controllish builds.

I wasn't dismissing Dredge, I was saying that I find more fun to play Hypergenesis than Dredge, then I prefer to see Hypergenesis winning although I recognize that Dredge (the latter in that paragraph) is harder to disrupt.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited

I'm amazed by Hypergenesis' top 8. Fro what I've seen, if the deck doesn't go off by turn 3, it's usually GG. And it's much easier to disrupt, People needed to play more chalice.

Interesting to see the dredge deck builds. The one I've been working on is different, being more Red Blue. And Greenseeker in one build seems an odd choice.

My predictions seemed right though, Zoo is the most heavily played deck, and is the best default aggro. Dredge made the big splash I thought it might, and Dark Depths did well. The big shocks for me, are no Blue based control decks. I thougth Tezzeret would stil be in a good position, able to lock down all these combo decks well, chalice and trinisphere causing massive trouble for them.

I'm amazed by Hypergenesis' top 8. Fro what I've seen, if the deck doesn't go off by turn 3, it's usually GG. And it's much easier to disrupt, People needed to play more chalice.

Interesting to see the dredge deck builds. The one I've been working on is different, being more Red Blue. And Greenseeker in one build seems an odd choice.

My predictions seemed right though, Zoo is the most heavily played deck, and is the best default aggro. Dredge made the big splash I thought it might, and Dark Depths did well. The big shocks for me, are no Blue based control decks. I thougth Tezzeret would stil be in a good position, able to lock down all these combo decks well, chalice and trinisphere causing massive trouble for them.

I think ensnaring bridge is more of a loss for tezzeret than people realize.  Also, the cool thing is that there's multiple zoo variations in the top 8.  Kibler went 9-1 with his zoo, so I'm really eager to see that play out and to test it.  Rubin went 5-0 with it day 1 too, so it can't be a fluke.

Surprised there's no W based control in there with the abundance of zoo

And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Surprised there's no W based control in there with the abundance of zoo

The problem is it's not only extended.  You have to do well with draft too.  For example, Juza went 6-0 in draft.

I think ensnaring bridge is more of a loss for tezzeret than people realize.  

losing the bridge is devastating. against combo/control or slower aggro decks, its not a problem, but against zoo and other matchups, its insane. ive been testing different ideas for Tezz since the bridge rotated and i still cant get it to work right

I like the way Conley Woods went with his Martyr deck. I think I'm going to work on something similar. Kagemaro ftw!

i absolutely love the punishing fire+grove of the burnwillows combo for zoo. i've never been all that thrilled with the thought of playing zoo before, but this might change that for me. much like how riptide lab in faeries/next level blue gave those decks inevitability when it got online... so does this combo. unless they have graveyard hate, they are going to be taking damage and losing creatures every turn. and at that poing, if they side in graveyard hate against you, they have spots in their deck dedicated to narrow cards that only serve once purpose anyway, making the beatdown plan more powerful and consistant. if you get this engine online in the mirror before they do (if they run it), then it is near impossible for them to pull ahead.

I actually don't understand how some version of blue (Non Dark Dephs) did not place. In our local testing group we found that fae was a very strong deck against dark dephs

Also, I feel as if though Extirpate got better.

Yeah, I see Extirpate seeing a bit more play soon...then again, Relic and such are arguably better.  Love the Depths Deck, LOVE IT; I've wanted to use Depths for some time and jumped on Hexmage pretty quickly...apparently Wizards totally forgot about it though (yeah right MaRo, are you guyz REALLY that bad @ Magic?  NVRMND, don't answer that).

Meanwhile, the Burnwillows/PFire combo is sweet, once again proving TSP is the best block evarz.

Building that noooooooow.

Very good pro tour imo, basically 3 new decks in the top 8 (I consider grove zoo a distinct deck).

Control is apparently dead now, they have too many threats to stop it seems like from Dredge, which they almost cant beat without a ton of hate, to Blistering fast zoo decks with steppe Lynxes and goblin guides, to all forms of combo from Boseiju packing Scapeshift combo to Gifts-thopter combo with accademy ruins recurssion, the blue decks are being whomped on from a million differnt angles.

At this point to me the best deck would seem to be something like Connolloys Markov Cocktail, you anihilate zoo with the life gain and control cant beat Emeria locks without a lot of grave hate. You just have to board to beat Combo and you should be good imo. Meh that is just my opinion. Grove zoo seems pretty sick but Idk, looks a little clunky and slow for my tastes, it seems more like a rock style deck than a zoo deck but the results are impressive.

Love the Dark depths deck but I wouldnt personally want to play it until I figure out how it is supposed to beat ghost quarter??? It seems like all zoo has to do is play 4 Knight of Reliquary and 1 ghost quarter and you are in a jam, PV just got shut down by Ikedas one ghost quarter, it seem just such a beating.

Very good pro tour imo, basically 3 new decks in the top 8 (I consider grove zoo a distinct deck).

Control is apparently dead now, they have too many threats to stop it seems like from Dredge, which they almost cant beat without a ton of hate, to Blistering fast zoo decks with steppe Lynxes and goblin guides, to all forms of combo from Boseiju packing Scapeshift combo to Gifts-thopter combo with accademy ruins recurssion, the blue decks are being whomped on from a million differnt angles.

At this point to me the best deck would seem to be something like Connolloys Markov Cocktail, you anihilate zoo with the life gain and control cant beat Emeria locks without a lot of grave hate. You just have to board to beat Combo and you should be good imo. Meh that is just my opinion. Grove zoo seems pretty sick but Idk, looks a little clunky and slow for my tastes, it seems more like a rock style deck than a zoo deck but the results are impressive.

Love the Dark depths deck but I wouldnt personally want to play it until I figure out how it is supposed to beat ghost quarter??? It seems like all zoo has to do is play 4 Knight of Reliquary and 1 ghost quarter and you are in a jam, PV just got shut down by Ikedas one ghost quarter, it seem just such a beating.

Blue control was really the only thing that could beat White-based control, and now that it's mostly out of the picture, I have to agree that some version of MWC is the best deck available.

Hypergenesis maindecking O-Ring straight up is fantastic. It provides an out to all forms of hate and is playable off hypergenesis just fine.

I liked Chris Davis' list in particular with the street wraiths and jungle weavers.

I think a hybridized list featuring:

Firespout
O-Ring
10xCascade

Would be a powerful spell suite to jump from.

I'd also tweak the sideboard to:

Ingot Chewer
Fleshbag Marauder (cute marit lage token, cute mirror match)
along with some of other hate.

I've tested the deck, and its ability to just win games outright is ridiculous on 2.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

wow, im reallllllllllly glad i bought my set of grove of the burnwillows for 10 the other day. i woke up today and all the sudden the price shot up to 8 or 9 bucks apiece. all in the matter of a day and a half lol

Merfolk went 2-3 Tongue out

Gerdef

Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*

Merfolk was a really bad metagame choice for this tournament.  No wonder it went 2-3.

Hinder may have a place, though, with this metagame.  It could be a worthwhile counterspell because of the recursions.

57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.

Zoo eats Merfolk alive.

I'm not talking about Merefolk, just a possible counterspell that's been overlooked for sometime.

57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.