10/16/2009 LD: "What I Did Three Days Ago"

40 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Brilliantly meta, Tom. Brilliantly.

Meta Tom is meta!


(I am surprised you didn't know about the "secret" downstairs route!)

Lee Sharpe Data Analyst Wizards of the Coast

An excellent article. I always wondered how the FFL worked. I mean, its easy to hear "we playtest the cards" and take it as is, but the exact ways you do that left me thinking. FFL tournaments are interesting.

I like the idea, but I didn't rate it highly in the poll because there was too much of what happened that couldn't be revealed. Perhaps if another article is done about an interesting day and saved until the information about it could be revealed, that would work better for me.

We all agree that if we are right, and these decks are actually some of the most powerful ones, then we would be proud of the world we have created.

I would love to live in a world where I could be proud of Summoner's Trap.dec ruling the metagame.

Must be unreal, you know? I know I'm part of a tiny minority that would actually like to see some real control decks be around that don't lose to "not drawing fat"... but you know what? There's not ****-all I can do.

Either they are really bad at testing, or Tom just confirmed that Jace and Baneslayer are in M11.


 


Also, counters seem to be relevant, and in turn make Summoner's Trap worthwhile?  That is a strange and interesting departure.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

So how do I apply for the editor job at Wizards? Constant mistakes, even one spell check catches, and god knows while that's the least of an editor's job, it's helpful.


Also you need to fix the poll, and if that screenshot of this column is supposed to be the graphic, I don't get it.


Anyways, somewhat refreshing way to tackle a subject every columnist eventually does. 


And I understand anyone looking at this tomorrow will likely not understand my top two comments. All good.


Either they are really bad at testing, or Tom just confirmed that Jace and Baneslayer are in M11.




I noticed that as well.

The worst thing about this article was the part where you countered 4 creatures (nearly in a row?).  And then we learn this could be one of the best decks of the future?  Please, no.  That does NOT sound like a fun environment AT ALL.  Don't make me regret coming back to the game now.


The recent StarCityGames.com $5,000 Standard Open tournament in Philly had NO blue cards in the top 8 decks.  Of the top 16 decks, only one ran blue.


I thought that was beautiful.


Blue's had its 15 YEARS of fame.  Give some other colors at least 3 or 4 years to dominate.  Let blue be dead last for a while in Standard.  All the other colors have spent their time at the bottom, so it's only fair.


And when you do bring back blue, please think of something besides counterspells.  That U/W Skies deck sounded interesting.

I love the concept of the article. Behind-the-scenes articles are often fun. But this one was too light on Magic content. Perhaps it'd be better in 3 months' time when you could tell us a bit more. As it was, it felt a bit like "I did some cool stuff I can't tell you about, then I ate some tofu, and then did some cool stuff I can't tell you about".


I appreciate that's an exaggeration - as shown by the people here arguing about whether the future's countermagic decks are too weak or too strong Rolling eyes - but there wasn't much to see here.


I've got nothing against lighter articles from time to time, certainly. I just like them to be a little more Magic-related.


On the other hand, the editor who assembled that disturbing tofu-eating animation deserves a pat on the back. Scared emoticon


 


(EDIT: Wow. I've actually been able to post in the forums. I thought the reorg had meant I'd never do that again.)

I might have gotten more from the article had I known what FFL is.

I feel like I can't click "It was bad" without explaining...


The problem is that your inability to talk about what you're doing makes the article dull to read. I could have written this article myself for all the insight it provides.


What you need to do is take detailed notes about your day and then publish an article a year later.


Special thanks to whoever did the Diabolic Tutor eating tofu animation, though. Worth clicking the article just to see that!


 


I might have gotten more from the article had I known what FFL is.





Assuming this is not sarcastic. FFL = Future Future league, effectively wizards testing the next standard season to make sure nothing to screwy shows up. Its not 100% effective as back when Onslaught was being tested there was allegedly a nast Wizards deck roaming the halls of WOTC HQ until it got nerfed, but they missed the R/W Slide/Rift deck from the same block and didn't kill Skullclamp during Mirroden testing

In this case sounds like it is Zendikar, M11, Lights block testing.

I agree that this article should've been published a year from now instead because now it was mostly empty talk. I mean, c'mon, you couldn't even go in depth about the lunchtime plotting? =p


And when there is actually juicy information, it's like this... >.>



The worst thing about this article was the part where you countered 4 creatures (nearly in a row?).  And then we learn this could be one of the best decks of the future?  Please, no.  That does NOT sound like a fun environment AT ALL.  Don't make me regret coming back to the game now.



Agree here =(

I don't regularly read this article, but the title looked interesting, so I decided to look at it; I think it was pretty good, and I like the talk about the FFL, though I wish you could've said more!


 



Blue's had its 15 YEARS of fame.  Give some other colors at least 3 or 4 years to dominate.  Let blue be dead last for a while in Standard.  All the other colors have spent their time at the bottom, so it's only fair.




No. By this logic, all white people in America ought to be enslaved for 'at least a few years' because it's 'only fair'. By this logic, countless Germans ought to be mercilessly slaughtered because it's 'only fair'. What's 'fair' is to make the colors as equal as possible, attempting to make sure that things are equal now. What isn't fair is to take petty revenge and act out of spite because something bad happened. That's what happened after WWI, and look what that led to.

No. By this logic, all white people in America ought to be enslaved for 'at least a few years' because it's 'only fair'. By this logic, countless Germans ought to be mercilessly slaughtered because it's 'only fair'. What's 'fair' is to make the colors as equal as possible, attempting to make sure that things are equal now. What isn't fair is to take petty revenge and act out of spite because something bad happened. That's what happened after WWI, and look what that led to.


You beat me to saying something like this. Kudos on your ninja skillz!


Anyway, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that some form of blue permission is going to be the dominate deck for the furture Standard. We don't know where in the tournament that exerpt from the game was taken: it could have been match one. Also, we don't know how far into testing the format they were at that time; I imagine the playtesters start building based on older archetypes such as red sligh, blue control, green ect. and then start to get more original as thier knowledge of the format expands. And finally, it's most likely that Tom picked a memorable game to share. Without context, it's imossible to know for certain.

I enjoyed both the meta article and the awesome Diabolic Tofu animation. In regards to the lines after the poll, was there any thought as to how comments on past-FFL current-Standard decks might affect the format? I know you said it was your favorite, not the best, but I remember in Rav/Kami standard how looking at cards that underperformed in the real world but did well in FFL (see Promise of Bunrei) before those cards had rotated was a factor in pros looking at Promise again and the rise of Ghost Dad. I mean, I'm not against FFL influencing the real world (especially for this column, it would be appropriately meta), but did you consider the possibility when adding those last few lines?


 


If my memory is off, or even if it's not, I guess a better more general question might be, how much do you think players learning of FFL decks affects Standard?


 


~Hamiltonianurst


 


[Edit: Punctuation.]

and the rise of Ghost Dad.

"Yeah, that card was even better when it didn't cost any mana to use its ability." -Aaron Forsythe to Ben Goodman

I really don't understand some of you ignorant people. Blue was absolutely terrible during Onslaught block, in fact no one ever ran islands during those few years. It has been at the bottom of the barrel plenty of times, just like it is right now...and thanks to I'm sure all of you complainers tournament magic is a bunch of fast aggro creatures with no true control decks or relevant countermagic at all. This is a terrible thing.


 


But this article gave me hope. Thank you Tom for realizing your entire Spike readerbase loves control decks and counterspells and you made it seem like there will  be a powerful UW control deck in the future with real counterspells (Go away Cancel). Thank you and you have given me hope. Lets hope blue rises to playability again.


I'm sure most of you who can't stand blue are casual players, which is fine. But complaining about blue because you're not good enough to play around counters ruins the tournament experience for the rest of us. So either learn to play around hopefully better blue decks in the future or play people who don't use counters. It's simple. We have to put up with crap like Slivers and Elves and milling cards because of you people, so let us have our real counters. No one will get hurt.


Thanks for the cool article Tom and the hope.

I would have liked another poll option between "awesome!" and "pretty good".  I didn't think the article was awesome, but it was better than pretty good, which is the answer I ended up voting for.


The Diabolic Tofu animation was great...  but did anyone else notice the secret in the Mark Rosewater "C'mon" picture?


 

While it's possible that blue is bad in Standard, we really can't say that after just a single tournament in the format. It's the way things are: The first tournament of a new format tends to be won by an aggressive beatdown deck. Only after the best beatdown decks are identified can control decks be tailored against it. If you looked at Standard when Invasion was released, you'd have seen the same thing: Fires of Yavimaya wins, no control deck gets close. But then, things like 5 color control show up, and GoMar, and we get a healthy metagame.


There might be hope for standard still. It'll just take a few more weeks.

the article was fun. i don't see how summoning trap could be played seriously without some major improvements in counterspells, so i think it's a safe assumption to expect that in the next few sets. or else they had literally no idea what they were talking about.


I would have liked another poll option between "awesome!" and "pretty good".  I didn't think the article was awesome, but it was better than pretty good, which is the answer I ended up voting for.


The Diabolic Tofu animation was great...  but did anyone else notice the secret in the Mark Rosewater "C'mon" picture?


 




Also really nice. The credit here goes for the person responsible for these images, in my opinion.


The Diabolic Tofu was priceless!

OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!


I like the idea, but I didn't rate it highly in the poll because there was too much of what happened that couldn't be revealed. Perhaps if another article is done about an interesting day and saved until the information about it could be revealed, that would work better for me.




 


This. We either get these obscure teases, or when they do a retrospective article they can't remember half the facts, and get the other half of them wrong. Do up an occasional article like this with all the gory details and save it for previews week or something.


 


And I also had to comment on how he casually throws another three mythic rares into his deck. Sure is nice having easy access to all those expensive cards.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

I almost wish that we had gotten an article exactly like this written two years ago with the spoilers revealed; it's more interesting to know what actually happens. Also, the meta theme was kind of wrung out and dry; it's an article about an article about a day at Wizards, very little of which you can actually talk about. It was about as interesting as it sounds. I still liked it, though not as much as most LD articles.



Either they are really bad at testing, or Tom just confirmed that Jace and Baneslayer are in M11.




I noticed that as well.




You're wrong:

twitter.com/tomlapille


Someone should tell the fine people on the Magic internet that the Alara block and Magic 2010 are still in the FFL.


 

I really don't understand some of you ignorant people. Blue was absolutely terrible during Onslaught block, in fact no one ever ran islands during those few years. It has been at the bottom of the barrel plenty of times, just like it is right now...and thanks to I'm sure all of you complainers tournament magic is a bunch of fast aggro creatures with no true control decks or relevant countermagic at all. This is a terrible thing.


If I recall, during Standard when Onslaught block came out, the dominant decks were Mirari's Wake and Psychatog, which were heavily blue. Maybe you meant Standard when Mirrodin came out, because that was when Affinity took over the meta-game.


In all seriousness, I'm surprised that you say that Standard is a bunch of fast aggro decks with no true control decks. I've seen the exact opposite. Standard has been dominated these past two years by Faeries (most definitely a control deck featuring blue) and 5-color control--also most definitely a control deck featuring blue. THAT is a terrible thing.


What about red? Do you know how long it's been since a good red deck has been tournament viable? Not since Time Spiral rotated out and took Greater Gargadon with it.

You're wrong:

twitter.com/tomlapille


Someone should tell the fine people on the Magic internet that the Alara block and Magic 2010 are still in the FFL.



Maybe if the article wasn't so intentionally vague to avoid spoilers people wouldn't have gotten confused.  Were we supposed to somehow automatically know exactly all the sets FFL is currently testing?  I also think it's funny that he actually read those speculative forum posts but felt a sarcastically passive Twitter post was a more appropriate response than simply correcting the false assumption himself here on the official Wizards forums. "Someone," LOL.

The article itself was alright, though. LD is usually the most informative column of the week.

the twitter thing is strangely nasty. i'm confused about why he would feel the need to do that.


I really don't understand some of you ignorant people. Blue was absolutely terrible during Onslaught block, in fact no one ever ran islands during those few years. It has been at the bottom of the barrel plenty of times, just like it is right now...and thanks to I'm sure all of you complainers tournament magic is a bunch of fast aggro creatures with no true control decks or relevant countermagic at all. This is a terrible thing.


If I recall, during Standard when Onslaught block came out, the dominant decks were Mirari's Wake and Psychatog, which were heavily blue. Maybe you meant Standard when Mirrodin came out, because that was when Affinity took over the meta-game.


In all seriousness, I'm surprised that you say that Standard is a bunch of fast aggro decks with no true control decks. I've seen the exact opposite. Standard has been dominated these past two years by Faeries (most definitely a control deck featuring blue) and 5-color control--also most definitely a control deck featuring blue. THAT is a terrible thing.


What about red? Do you know how long it's been since a good red deck has been tournament viable? Not since Time Spiral rotated out and took Greater Gargadon with it.




I am talking about the block of Onslaught itself. And Green was the most powerful color in Odyssey block, anyone with any decent memory knows that. The block of Onslaught was the absolute pits for blue.


 


I am also referring to current m10 and Zendikar standard. You are referring to standard of the past where Faeries was a midrange deck which only existed because of Bitterblossom, which is a black card. 5 color control was a control deck featuring all 5 colors, and you called that a terrible thing. That makes no sense. Should all control decks die?


And red? Jund is a red based deck, the best deck in standard featuring ridiculous red cards like Bloodbraid Elf, Volcanic Fallout, Bituminous Blast, and Broodmate Dragon. Mono red is a deck now. RW aggro just made the finals of a huge standard tournament. You just picked up a whole batch of new goblins. Oh yeah, how about lightning bolt? I heard that card isn't that bad.

I really don't understand some of you ignorant people. Blue was absolutely terrible during Onslaught block, in fact no one ever ran islands during those few years. It has been at the bottom of the barrel plenty of times, just like it is right now...and thanks to I'm sure all of you complainers tournament magic is a bunch of fast aggro creatures with no true control decks or relevant countermagic at all.  This is a terrible thing.


So you think because blue wasn't up to par SIX to SEVEN YEARS ago that it's balanced?  By the way, blue might not have been too hot in Onslaught block, but it was certainly strong in Standard at the time.  If you're talking about Odyssey/Onslaught, Wake and UG Madness (and UR Madness to a lesser extent) were at the top.

Afterwards, when Mirrodin came onto the scene, Broodstar Affinity was one of the best decks out there.  Of course Ravager came out in Darksteel and the metagame died soon after.  I hope we can both agree that was a low point for tournament Magic.


After the bannings and Kamigawa, Tooth and Nail and Gifts Ungiven became the top decks.  I think Meloku was also pretty strong at the time.  Unfortunately, by that time, I was sick of blue and combo being the only viable decks.  So I wasn't playing during Ravnica block, but from what I've heard, it was one of the most balanced blocks and Standard season ever.  I'm kind of sad I missed it.


Then of course, Faeries were the top deck in Lorwyn Standard for a while, until 5CC control seemed to take over.


All-in-all, blue has been at the top pretty consistantly for quite some time.  It's not just NEAR the top, it's generally been at the very top for most of that time.  Now that's changed and I don't think it is a terrible thing at all.


But this article gave me hope. Thank you Tom for realizing your entire Spike readerbase loves control decks and counterspells and you made it seem like there will  be a powerful UW control deck in the future with real counterspells (Go away Cancel). Thank you and you have given me hope. Lets hope blue rises to playability again.


I'm a Spike that doesn't love counterspells.  I started playing 14 years ago and I very much enjoy playing in tournaments with the best decks I can.  I have my Mana Drains and Force of Wills and Negates and Essence Scatters and generally whatever else a blue player needs to win.


But I hate playing in a permission heavy format.  I just don't think it is very fun at all, even when I win.  Keep in mind, I am not against control decks in general.  I just abhor permission with a passion.  Countermagic is the most annoying thing in Magic and I'm glad it is weak at the moment.


I'm sure most of you who can't stand blue are casual players, which is fine. But complaining about blue because you're not good enough to play around counters ruins the tournament experience for the rest of us. So either learn to play around hopefully better blue decks in the future or play people who don't use counters. It's simple. We have to put up with crap like Slivers and Elves and milling cards because of you people, so let us have our real counters. No one will get hurt.


First of all, that's a huge generalization to make.  Second, last I heard, there are more casual players than tournament players, and casual players buy more cards en masse.  Thus, it only makes sense from a business stand point to cater to casual players by making the environment as fun as possible.  If this means having fewer counterspells, so be it.  And like I said before, there are definitely other Spikes such as myself that really don't enjoy a permission heavy environment.  I like aggro.  I like Jund.  I like Vampires.  I like R/W Bushwhacker.  I like this new Standard environment.  And I really, really hope it stays pretty similar for at least a year.  We sure could use the refreshing change.


And to the people making comparisons to Nazis:  REALLY?  This is a freakin' card game.  It's competitive.  By it's very nature, various colors are going to rise to the top.  I just wish it wasn't the same one most of the time.




Either they are really bad at testing, or Tom just confirmed that Jace and Baneslayer are in M11.




I noticed that as well.




You're wrong:

twitter.com/tomlapille


Someone should tell the fine people on the Magic internet that the Alara block and Magic 2010 are still in the FFL.




Ohhhhhhh.  After scratching my head for a minute, I finally figured it out.  Tom was so set on being all cryptic here that even the stuff he could explain wasn't clear.


The only way this makes a lick of sense is if he was doing draft testing for Lights, but doing FFL testing for Prosper.  If that's true, then yes both his twitter and his column make sense.  But seriously, did any of you pick that up from the article?  Anyone at all? 


The only set he mentioned by name was Lights, and apparently we were to just know that most of the testing he talked about was for a completely different set.  Prosper (and M11 and Camera for that matter) weren't mentioned at all.


In light of this revelation, I would like to update my vote in the poll.  This article was terrible not because it's a bad idea - it isn't - but because the only thing it really told us is that MaRo is sneaky.  And we already knew that.


To expand on another poster's idea, here's what you should do Mr. LaPille:  Print out this article, grab a red pen, and write down detailed notes on anything you referenced here even slightly but couldn't tell us about.  Cardnames, decklists, mechanics, etc.  One year from now, reprint this column with that addendum.  Kelly will love you because you're ahead of deadline, and us readers will find it to be incredibly informative.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

whoa, is that spam?


And to the people making comparisons to Nazis:  REALLY?  This is a freakin' card game.  It's competitive.  By it's very nature, various colors are going to rise to the top.  I just wish it wasn't the same one most of the time.




But I wasn't talking about the card game; I was talking about the philosophy that was being proposed, and applying it to other things. I have nothing against weakening blue a bit, or making sure that it isn't the top color. But that doesn't mean 'SCREW BLUE!!!!11!!1!!!!' is a good idea either.

i was actually going to make a similar point but you made it first. i agree 100% with what you're saying and i don't think it was out of line (perhaps a bit overdramatic though Wink).


balance is best.


 

Like I always suspected, working at Wizards isn't much different from my own job: bumming around all day and putting a lot of things away for "later". Must be nice.  Cool

I really didn't want to give Tom a "bad" for this article, but he left out so much information I felt I had to in order to let him know not to do this again.  If he could have named all the cards in his FFL games and said what the issues were in the meetings he attended, I'd have given him a "pretty good" or "awesome".

I am talking about the block of Onslaught itself. And Green was the most powerful color in Odyssey block, anyone with any decent memory knows that. The block of Onslaught was the absolute pits for blue.

I am also referring to current m10 and Zendikar standard. You are referring to standard of the past where Faeries was a midrange deck which only existed because of Bitterblossom, which is a black card. 5 color control was a control deck featuring all 5 colors, and you called that a terrible thing. That makes no sense. Should all control decks die?


And red? Jund is a red based deck, the best deck in standard featuring ridiculous red cards like Bloodbraid Elf, Volcanic Fallout, Bituminous Blast, and Broodmate Dragon. Mono red is a deck now. RW aggro just made the finals of a huge standard tournament. You just picked up a whole batch of new goblins. Oh yeah, how about lightning bolt? I heard that card isn't that bad.



I think you completely missed my point.


My color and my archetype of choice have been completely unviable for the past two years, while blue decks and control decks dominated. (Faeries is definitely a blue deck even if they played a few black cards in their mix. And 5cc is definitely a control deck, and it even used counterspells--which are characteristically blue--to great effect.) You have absolutely no pity from me whatsoever when you complain about how blue is bottom of the barrel right now.


And yes, red became totally awesome just *less than a month ago* (right when Lorwyn rotated out and Zendikar rotated in, in fact). And yes, that makes me happy. But who knows how long this'll last? For all I know, now that we have decklists floating around, the control players will learn how to beat them all and I'll be sad again.


And yes, I do believe that all control decks should die (if the alternative is that all aggro decks must die).


And yes, I do believe that all control decks should die (if the alternative is that all aggro decks must die).




what about a healthy format where there is control, combo, and aggro competing on equal ground? no? just black and white ONE MUST DIE? ok.