Pro Tour-Austin

148 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to Pro Tour-Austin, the third Pro Tour of the season. This Pro Tour features 10 rounds of Extended and six rounds of Zendikar Booster Draft, with an Extended Top 8.

The live webcast of Pro Tour-Austin will start at 11:45 a.m. ET Sunday, October 18. Watch the Top 8 as Magic crowns its third Pro Tour champion of 2009!

Here's a handy time zone guide to figure out when the webcast starts in your neighborhood:

Los Angeles: 8:45 a.m.
Austin: 10:45 a.m.
Chicago: 10:45 a.m.
New York: 11:45 a.m.
Rio de Janeiro: 1:45 p.m.
London: 4:45 p.m.
Berlin: 5:45 p.m.
Moscow: 7:45 p.m.
Tokyo: 2:45 a.m. Monday
Sydney: 2:45 p.m. Monday

The photo-shoot + descriptions are gold.

our new, happy life

Umm, what did Williams name in Game 2 for his Meddling Mage?  I would've guessed Punishing Fire in that matchup but it was burned out by one.

Despite split second, the mana ability of the Grove could put the triggered ability of Punishing Fire on the stack, saving it.

I don't know if I'm awed or disgusted.  That's crazy!

With all due respect to Paulo, I believe the longest name in professional Magic is Steven O'Mahoney-Schwartz. Even if you're going to count characters (including spaces), rather than just letters, it's a tie. Steven also has a brother who was once a fixture, Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz, also clocking in at 22 letters.

Is there usually a forum thread for PT coverage?  I definitely appreciate having it.

berserker626, I had exactly the same thoughts - what did he name with Meddling Mage, and why didn't he name Punishing Fire?

With all due respect to Paulo, I believe the longest name in professional Magic is Steven O'Mahoney-Schwartz. Even if you're going to count characters (including spaces), rather than just letters, it's a tie. Steven also has a brother who was once a fixture, Daniel O'Mahoney-Schwartz, also clocking in at 22 letters.

Paulo does have the longest name if you count syllables though. 

Where is all the text coverage. Some of us are at work and can't listen or watch the videos.

Very disappointed so far with coverage.

Despite split second, the mana ability of the Grove could put the triggered ability of Punishing Fire on the stack, saving it.

I still don't understand this.  I get why using the Grove works, but I still don't understand why you'd be able to use the Punishing Fire's ability.

I still don't understand this.  I get why using the Grove works, but I still don't understand why you'd be able to use the Punishing Fire's ability.

I haven't seen the play you're referencing, but these are the rules for split second:

Players can play mana abilities. Why? They don’t use the stack.

Triggered abilities can trigger. If they do, they go on the stack on top of the spell with split second. Triggered abilities aren’t played—they just happen—so they behave as normal.

So with a split second spell on the stack you can still tap your grove, which triggers the punishing fire ability and puts it on top of the split second spell on the stack, so punishing fire resolves first.

The play I'm secretly hoping to see but somehow doubt will ever happen:

Boros Fury-Shield targeting Marit Lage.  

The play I'm secretly hoping to see but somehow doubt will ever happen:

Boros Fury-Shield targeting Marit Lage. 

...that would be insane. I want one of those 'single copy of an answer card I can tutor for' decks to run a single copy, just so there is a slim chance taht would work. Or that one from Shadowmoor, which does a similar thing.

So the coverage seems okay, but I find the audio commentary of three matches at once confusing and actually quite boring.  Can't Hagon just discuss one match at greater length?  I would prefer a video with no sound to that coverage.

So the coverage seems okay, but I find the audio commentary of three matches at once confusing and actually quite boring.  Can't Hagon just discuss one match at greater length?  I would prefer a video with no sound to that coverage.

I never cared for podcast play-by-plays, even when I follow what's going on it's not really processed well.  Not in the sense of following the player, more just "A drew card X and won", which is pretty worthless to me.

I agree, feature match video would be awesome.  Just set up a webcam pointed down at the table and walk away for 8 rounds.  Hell it might be better than the narrated top 8s because there'd be no dramatic zoom-ins on the players' foreheads that you guys love to do.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I've removed content from this thread because spamming and advertising are  Code of Conduct violations.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic.

I wish the draft coverage was better, and the quality of the discussion is pretty superficial.  Why did he pass up Adventuring Gear, for example?  That being said, Zendikar plays very fast and aggro seems to be the way to go, BR and BW are both good.  G has nice cards but is looking too slow...

The picture of Hunter Burton plus his occupation of "wealthy and uneducated" reminds me of the famous quote from Animal House: "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Regardless of family wealth, obesity and stupidity are not likely to carry you very far.

Nahh Hunter Burton is a pimp not playtesting the format at all and playing a deck with path to exile AND molten rain and still dominating is just awesome.

Also I will be suprised if PV doesn't win it all, Dark depths should crush the zoo and dredge decks ahead of him. No Blue in the top 8 should make it smooth sailing for combo! That and PV is insanely good at magic.  If the finals are Kibler vs. PV I could see Kibler getting the best of him with those ghost quarters though--he seems to be the only one packing sufficent hate. PV or Kibler or I eat my hat!

I'm amused that we think of the PT as immensely skill-testing and requiring an incredible amount of research and preparation.  And then a couple of the top 8 guys are like "Yeah, I didn't test anything.  I did a couple drafts and just grabbed Zoo cause whatever."

Though there's an above-average quantity of proven names in the top 8, suggesting play skill was indeed important.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

You know, its almost as if some of those guys were netdecking.

Looking at the decks PV or Kibler seems right, but who knows

kibler and do we have an exact time on when pregame starts they said 10 am on the day 2 wrapup

Honestly.

I'm just happy that beyond the 2 Greenseekers Shimizu has main and the 2 Riftsweepers in Ikeda's SB, there isn't any other ELVES anywhere near the top.  We didn't need another nightmarish borefest of insane combo decks like we had last year in Berlin.

And no, just because it taps for mana....Noble Hierarch doesn't count.

Honestly.

I'm just happy that beyond the 2 Greenseekers Shimizu has main and the 2 Riftsweepers in Ikeda's SB, there isn't any other ELVES anywhere near the top.  We didn't need another nightmarish borefest of insane combo decks like we had last year in Berlin.

And no, just because it taps for mana....Noble Hierarch doesn't count.

gb2 Yu-gi-oh

I think Kibler will probably win this if his deck works out and he gets to play his sideboard hate for the hard matchups......What did Nassif play this weekend?

I think Kibler will probably win this if his deck works out and he gets to play his sideboard hate for the hard matchups......What did Nassif play this weekend?

Remember though, his quarterfinal match was against the one person he dropped a match to in extended.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png

I'm amused that we think of the PT as immensely skill-testing and requiring an incredible amount of research and preparation.  And then a couple of the top 8 guys are like "Yeah, I didn't test anything.  I did a couple drafts and just grabbed Zoo cause whatever."

Though there's an above-average quantity of proven names in the top 8, suggesting play skill was indeed important.

Consider how many people make insane preparations versus how many throw something together and play. I'd be willing to guess the numbers are similar. Just by chance, some of the latter group will do well, assuming some of them are good players and/or put together decks that are acceptable. And Molten Zoo is no joke - it's a modification on the most-played deck in the format.

Can you succeed by winging it? Sure. Is that the better route than preparation and testing? Not likely.

Remember though, his quarterfinal match was against the one person he dropped a match to in extended.

Yeah, but didn't that guy get an insane draw in that round?

Ugh, I can't believe he actually said "here I rule". Someone get me a bucket!

lol

So is this suppose to be an audio broadcast or is there video along with it? I'm only getting sound and the FAQ mentions Windows Media Player, but mine is playing through quicktime?

Kibler might actually win game 1, and i was wrong.

Any word on what yasooka (probably butchered spelling) played in this tournament?

The midgame shuffling has taken longer than game 1.

more than likely that will happen 20 times out of 24 possible games.

@Buehller and David-Marshall: Hypergenesis can float mana in response to blood moon and play violent outburst and play a bunch of dudes and kibler won't be able to hand it i don't think. Edit: posted this before evangelos did it.

Edit: Can Kibler's deck come back from 0-2?

more than likely that will happen 20 times out of 24 possible games.

@Buehller and David-Marshall: Hypergenesis can float mana in response to blood moon and play violent outburst and play a bunch of dudes and kibler won't be able to hand it i don't think. Edit: posted this before evangelos did it.

Edit: Can Kibler's deck come back from 0-2?

Anything's possible, but Kibler is going to need to catch a few breaks to get it done.

I think that's why they started with this match.  They figured it wasn't going to be long, so they can catch footage of each match

Ah I C

Edit: Kibler Obviously is capable of coming back form 0-2 from watching his plays.

thats harsh for kibler if he loses to hard cast hellkite!!!

dang angel in the nick of time

thats harsh for kibler if he loses to hard cast hellkite!!!

Yeah it would have been, but he is the dragon master with the baneslayers.

Is there a link to Nassif's List?

I'm wondering why EP removed Spirit Guide in response to Blood Moon when he could have floated green from Orchard and used his now-Mountains for red, and hardcast the Guide next turn.

I don't know why he did that....maybe jitters or something that we aren't seeing?