Bloodghast is a really bad card.

199 posts / 0 new
Last post

Unless you have an active sac outlet, Bloodghast is a really bad card. And I do mean sac outlet, not use.


Scarland Thrinax/Eldrazi Monument=Sac Outlet
Quest for the Gravelord/Blade of the Bloodchief=Sac Use


Bloodghast is victim to the same fate as Dash Hopes.


2/1 attacks into a 2/3. What happens? The 2/1 dies and the 2/3 lives. Next turn, Bloodghast comes back, attacks into the same 2/3 and it dies... Again. It will probably keep going like this for a while.


But what if I have something like Quest for the Gravelord that benefits from things going to the graveyard? Well, then they let the 2 damage through and go on with life. In the meantime, you're stuck with an "unblockable" 2/1 and a now useless card.


 


And because I know that this won't get through 90% of your skulls due to this being the Standard forums, think of this. Every time you draw/play Bloodghast, name a card you'd rather it be without thinking. You should have no problem coming up with a name.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Indeed, it's not like there are any black cards that can get rid of that 2/3 .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.


Indeed, it's not like there are any black cards that can get rid of that 2/3 .




Fine, you kill the 2/3. Now what separates Bloodghast from Grizzly Bears? Or what happens when they play another creature?


Edit: That is flawed, but "removal wins!" still isn't a valid argument. Bloodghast dies to PtE.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

End game when your opponent has 3 bloodghasts in the graveyard and you're at 6 life, he'll be very happy he drew them all, trust me.


Bloodghast is hard to take care of because he's a fast dropper and never leaves for good (unless of course you Path it and net your opponent 4 lands on turn 3 to play 2 more bloodghasts or 2 removals.)


Sure, you can swing into a 2/3 all you want, but if you dont then your opponent won't swing with the 2/3 on their turn. If they do you'll get in for free (possibly trigger bloodchief) and you both will have lost the same life. If they don't swing, bloodghast is helping stall for a removal spell or nocturnis.


 

You need to remember the mana curve also. Instead of asking what card one would rather have, try asking what 2 drop card one would rather have. I can't think of a better 2 drop vampire that I would want in a Vampire deck. Gatekeeper is already a 4 of, so can't do more of those. Vampire Hexmage? It still dies to that 2/3 creature. Child of Night? Also dies, gains a mere 2 life, and the opponenet will be able to attack, and take that 2 life away, because there's now they don't have to worry about the next attack.


Also, as already stated, there's always removal. A black aggro deck is not well designed if it's lacking in removal. Disfigure makes for a nice surprise for that 2/3. Feast of Blood gains me life. If it's a non-black creature, we can add in Doom Blade and Hideous End.


As a 2 drop, it's decent as a 2/1. That alone won't make it into aggro, but it's usable. The haste haste ability makes it arguable about whether to include it, because haste could make up the difference lost in toughness. Arguable, but not an auto include. When you consider the recursive nature of the card, that pushes it over the top.


Edit: What seperates the Bloodghast from the Bears? Attack with Ghast, if the bears block, you kill the bears, and get your ghast back. Being in black, plenty of removal available, bears will eventually die, or you can hold back something larger, like a 2/3 of your own (Nighthawk). Creatures always die through out the game. Having something that keeps coming back simply gives you an edge. Opponent uses Day of Judgement? Your next land is a free attacker ready to go right back at the opponent's throat. Let's see Grizzlies do that.

If you like playing Magic casually (as opposed to very competitive play) join Casual Gaming. You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.

How to make a Deck List in HTML. If you miss the [deck] tag, check that link for another way. Easy copy/paste method.
WUBRGWUWBUBURBRBGRGRWGWGU2W2U2B2R2GSnow1234567890XTapUntap

So, if you have any Bloodghasts you don't want, I'll gladly take them off your hands.


Fine, you kill the 2/3. Now what separates Bloodghast from Grizzly Bears? Or what happens when they play another creature?


the fact that grizzly bears can die?

Edit: That is flawed, but "removal wins!" still isn't a valid argument. Bloodghast dies to PtE.



Which would be expletiving hilarious if I had a bloodghast or 3 in my yard :3.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.


End game when your opponent has 3 bloodghasts in the graveyard and you're at 6 life, he'll be very happy he drew them all, trust me.


Bloodghast is hard to take care of because he's a fast dropper and never leaves for good (unless of course you Path it and net your opponent 4 lands on turn 3 to play 2 more bloodghasts or 2 removals.)


Sure, you can swing into a 2/3 all you want, but if you dont then your opponent won't swing with the 2/3 on their turn. If they do you'll get in for free (possibly trigger bloodchief) and you both will have lost the same life. If they don't swing, bloodghast is helping stall for a removal spell.


 




He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO


You need to remember the mana curve also. Instead of asking what card one would rather have, try asking what 2 drop card one would rather have. I can't think of a better 2 drop vampire that I would want in a Vampire deck. Gatekeeper is already a 4 of, so can't do more of those. Vampire Hexmage? It still dies to that 2/3 creature. Child of Night? Also dies, gains a mere 2 life, and the opponenet will be able to attack, and take that 2 life away, because there's now they don't have to worry about the next attack.


Also, as already stated, there's always removal. A black aggro deck is not well designed if it's lacking in removal. Disfigure makes for a nice surprise for that 2/3. Feast of Blood gains me life. If it's a non-black creature, we can add in Doom Blade and Hideous End.


As a 2 drop, it's decent as a 2/1. That alone won't make it into aggro, but it's usable. The haste haste ability makes it arguable about whether to include it, because haste could make up the difference lost in toughness. Arguable, but not an auto include. When you consider the recursive nature of the card, that pushes it over the top.




Vampires.dec is bad. Period. You're arguing that there is no better card for a meh deck that will probably be outclassed at least until the next set.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO


He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.




For 2 mana? What else would two mana get you?


Bloodghasts aren't the "all-star" creatures of the deck. They are a constant nuisance that draw kill spells and blocks. They make end-game useless land draws into a free creature or two or three. They scare people away from using Day of Judgement. They deal early, fast damage.


 

What about the rest of my arguments? Look at 2-drops as a whole. It meets efficiency requirements, is much more resilient than the Bears, and once you the opponent's life below 10 (easy to do in an aggressive deck) it can start attacking the turn you play the land.

If you like playing Magic casually (as opposed to very competitive play) join Casual Gaming. You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.

How to make a Deck List in HTML. If you miss the [deck] tag, check that link for another way. Easy copy/paste method.
WUBRGWUWBUBURBRBGRGRWGWGU2W2U2B2R2GSnow1234567890XTapUntap


Unless you have an active sac outlet, Bloodghast is a really bad card. And I do mean sac outlet, not use.


Scarland Thrinax/Eldrazi Monument=Sac Outlet
Quest for the Gravelord/Blade of the Bloodchief=Sac Use


Bloodghast is victim to the same fate as Dash Hopes.


2/1 attacks into a 2/3. What happens? The 2/1 dies and the 2/3 lives. Next turn, Bloodghast comes back, attacks into the same 2/3 and it dies... Again. It will probably keep going like this for a while.


But what if I have something like Quest for the Gravelord that benefits from things going to the graveyard? Well, then they let the 2 damage through and go on with life. In the meantime, you're stuck with an "unblockable" 2/1 and a now useless card.


 


And because I know that this won't get through 90% of your skulls due to this being the Standard forums, think of this. Every time you draw/play Bloodghast, name a card you'd rather it be without thinking. You should have no problem coming up with a name.





I play Esper Mill... I hate the bastard
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts

Black Knight
Disfigure
Duress
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Quest for the Gravelord
Sign in Blood
Vampire Hexmage
Vampire Lacerator


There are 8 <=2cc cards that I would rather see on average over Bloodghast.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO



I play Esper Mill... I hate the bastard



That's like playing Tempting Wurm and being angry when your opponent gets the better deal.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

You'd put Hexmage above Bloodghast? It dies to any removal, and doesn't have that recursive ability. The Hexmages are decent, but not up to par with Bloodghast due to that lack of resiliency. I'll give you Gatekeeper, due to forcing that sacrifice, not so quick to agree on the Lacerator though. Yes it's bigger, and can block, and cheaper, but it also is causing you loss of life, and dies just as easily as the Bloodghast, but lacks that recursive nature. The fact that it's a 2/2 for 1 makes it an excellent card, no argument, I'm not attacking the Bloodghast, but I would put it around the same level. Duress and Disfigure are removal, and serve different purposes, not comparable with the Bloodghast as you are basically comparing apples to oranges here. Black Knight at least is pro white, making it harder to path, but plenty of other removal still gets rid of him, and the vast majority of that removal is useless against the Bloodghast.

If you like playing Magic casually (as opposed to very competitive play) join Casual Gaming. You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.

How to make a Deck List in HTML. If you miss the [deck] tag, check that link for another way. Easy copy/paste method.
WUBRGWUWBUBURBRBGRGRWGWGU2W2U2B2R2GSnow1234567890XTapUntap



He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.




For 2 mana? What else would two mana get you?


Bloodghasts aren't the "all-star" creatures of the deck. They are a constant nuisance that draw kill spells and blocks. They make end-game useless land draws into a free creature or two or three. They scare people away from using Day of Judgement. They deal early, fast damage.


 




If you have 3xBloodghasts in the grave and your opponent is at 6 life? Well, for one thing, you could easily play much higher CC cards that late in the game. For another, you could build a better deck.

Mainboards shouldn't have that "lol :D" card. Every creature you draw should be one of those "all-star" creatures. The reason strict Vampire.decs are bad. Throwing in filler cards because you don't have enough decent ones with the word "vampire" on the typeline is a bad idea.


And how does Bloodghast scare people away from using DoJ? It's one thing to say that it makes it useless, but another to say that it scares them away. And QftGL > Bloodghast in this department.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO


He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.




Yeah, like a creature that wouldn't stay dead and kept eating removal spells. Wait...

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Do you remember a little recursive black creature called Ichorid, waaaaay back from Torment?


I think we can all draw a lot of comparisons from Ichorid to Bloodghast.  Except Bloodghast is half of Ichorid's casting cost, and doesn't die at the end of your turn, in exchange for one less power and a slightly different recursive method.  But Ichorid was still great, because it could come back repeatedly and beat your opponent, given you had dead guys to exile.


Saying bloodghast is bad because it's for the most part a vanilla 2/1 for 2 mana is a silly argument.  Yes, it's vanilla when it hits the field.  Yes, there are situations where you'd rather be using something else.  But that can be said of many good cards.  The recursive factor means everything, and allows a player a certain edge when racing.  It's also good for board-sweeper recovery, and if it's PtE'ed, you at least get a land and your bigger finishers can't be hit by that PtE now.


The card isn't meant to have a mind-blowing effect; it's good in the way Tarmogoyf was good, by applying constant pressure to your opponent, who could ignore it and take a lot of damage, or remove it and be down one removal spell.


If you have 3xBloodghasts in the grave and your opponent is at 6 life? Well, for one thing, you could easily play much higher CC cards that late in the game. For another, you could build a better deck.


Mainboards shouldn't have that "lol :D" card. Every creature you draw should be one of those "all-star" creatures. The reason strict Vampire.decs are bad. Throwing in filler cards because you don't have enough decent ones with the word "vampire" on the typeline is a bad idea.


And how does Bloodghast scare people away from using DoJ? It's one thing to say that it makes it useless, but another to say that it scares them away. And QftGL > Bloodghast in this department.




By "not an all-star creature", I meant he's not going to take the spotlight in any one area, but he does his job, and does it well.

And I guess I shouldn't have said "scared away from" DoJ either, but if the board is locked and you draw a DoJ with opponent having bloodghasts on the field, it probably won't end up in your favor. If it's late-game you can bet he's been saving some swamps in his hand for that exact situation.

It's another 2-drop that contributes to the Vamp-deck Godhand ending in a 4th-turn Nocturnis kill. The fact that it's recursive and can go hasty just means you don't feel stupid for playing it; it's better than Grizzly Bears and fits the deck.

Saying it sucks because "you shouldn't be playing Vampire.dec in the first place" is a horrible counter-argument, by the way. :S

Resident Logic Cannon



You'd put Hexmage above Bloodghast? It dies to any removal, and doesn't have that recursive ability. The Hexmages are decent, but not up to par with Bloodghast due to that lack of resiliency. I'll give you Gatekeeper, due to forcing that sacrifice, not so quick to agree on the Lacerator though. Yes it's bigger, and can block, and cheaper, but it also is causing you loss of life, and dies just as easily as the Bloodghast, but lacks that recursive nature. The fact that it's a 2/2 for 1 makes it an excellent card, no argument, I'm not attacking the Bloodghast, but I would put it around the same level. Duress and Disfigure are removal, and serve different purposes, not comparable with the Bloodghast as you are basically comparing apples to oranges here. Black Knight at least is pro white, making it harder to path, but plenty of other removal still gets rid of him, and the vast majority of that removal is useless against the Bloodghast.



Yes, I'd put Hexmage above Bloodghast any day. A 2/1 first strike Swiss army knife is far scarier than a 2/1 poker that can't block.

Lacerator also beats out Bloodghast. 2/2 for 1 beats out nearly every card in the deck. It's what makes getting the opponents life below 10 so easy. And the life loss is hardly an excuse. Life is the least valuable resource.

Duress and Disfigure make Bloodghast's recursion irrelevant. Why do you need to bring him back if he never dies to your opponent's Grizzly Bears or Shocks?

2/2 first strike pro-white vs. 2/1 poker that can't block.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Outside of Vampires there are probably a few niche decks where I would play bloodghast. He worked well with quest for the gravelord last night in my vampire deck. Other than that he is mediocre until you get a nocturnus out. I sided him out in some matches in favor of black knight. I wouldn't say it's a horrible card, just overrated.


Yes, hexmage is underrated. Lacerator is just meh.

True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!



He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.




Yeah, like a creature that wouldn't stay dead and kept eating removal spells. Wait...



Quick! Let's pour rum on the flames! Why would your opponent keep feeding cards into a lost cause? It's easy enough to take 2 damage.


Do you remember a little recursive black creature called Ichorid, waaaaay back from Torment?


I think we can all draw a lot of comparisons from Ichorid to Bloodghast.  Except Bloodghast is half of Ichorid's casting cost, and doesn't die at the end of your turn, in exchange for one less power and a slightly different recursive method.  But Ichorid was still great, because it could come back repeatedly and beat your opponent, given you had dead guys to exile.


Saying bloodghast is bad because it's for the most part a vanilla 2/1 for 2 mana is a silly argument.  Yes, it's vanilla when it hits the field.  Yes, there are situations where you'd rather be using something else.  But that can be said of many good cards.  The recursive factor means everything, and allows a player a certain edge when racing.  It's also good for board-sweeper recovery, and if it's PtE'ed, you at least get a land and your bigger finishers can't be hit by that PtE now.


The card isn't meant to have a mind-blowing effect; it's good in the way Tarmogoyf was good, by applying constant pressure to your opponent, who could ignore it and take a lot of damage, or remove it and be down one removal spell.




Ichorid deals three damage, hits the grave no matter what, has trample.


Bloodghast deals two damage, has a good chance of not hitting the grave, lacks evasion.


Ichorid and Bloodghast were also in two completely different eras. Odyssey could abuse the grave like nothing else and had better sacing abuses. Alara/Zendikar couldn't really care that much about the grave and has minimal sacing abuses.


p.s. A 2/1 does not apply the same pressure as a 3+/4+.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO


Quick! Let's pour rum on the flames! Why would your opponent keep feeding cards into a lost cause? It's easy enough to take 2 damage.

And a card that beats for 2 every turn is bad in aggro?

Also, Gatekeeper costs 3.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

I tend to agree that Bloodghast is overrated.


I, like everyone else and their grandma, have faced quite a lot of Vamp decks lately. I have never found myself to be all that afraid of the Ghast. Once or twice, I've used an excess Path on one, if it looked like it would otherwise generate CA.  Otherwise, the fact that it's a 2/1 for two (with a drawback) generally makes it lose when it comes to combat. If if doesn't actually trade, it doesn't generate CA, and it's just a poor attacker (and a non-existant blocker).


Even Vampire Hexmage scares me more, because it has first strike and can block. This means that I often have to remove it before attacking or lose CA. There's still plenty of answers for it, but it can be a pain. Black Knight is even more so, because there are few good answers for it in the format.


Putrid Leech is obviously awesome as a 2-drop. It's hard to answer and it dominates in combat. Bloodghast doesn't dominate in combat, and thus the recurring is much less useful.


Just my 50 cent.
AF79.

Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM

And I guess I shouldn't have said "scared away from" DoJ either, but if the board is locked and you draw a DoJ with opponent having bloodghasts on the field, it probably won't end up in your favor. If it's late-game you can bet he's been saving some swamps in his hand for that exact situation.



A) Sligh (used very loosely) has nearly always had better matchups against control. DoJ shouldn't even be an issue.


B) If it's late game and you're having a problem with Bloodghasts and are playing DoJ, you probably haven't played your PtEs right.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO


Also, Gatekeeper costs 3.




Gatekeeper costs 2. Gatekeeper with kicker costs 3. I've done the former plenty of times.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO



Also, Gatekeeper costs 3.




Gatekeeper costs 2. Gatekeeper with kicker costs 3. I've done the former plenty of times.



Fine, you play it without kicker. Now what separates gatekeeper from Grizzly Bears :3?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.



It's another 2-drop that contributes to the Vamp-deck Godhand ending in a 4th-turn Nocturnis kill. The fact that it's recursive and can go hasty just means you don't feel stupid for playing it; it's better than Grizzly Bears and fits the deck.

Saying it sucks because "you shouldn't be playing Vampire.dec in the first place" is a horrible counter-argument, by the way. :S



Ok. It's a filler card, just like I said. And "throwing in filler cards because you don't have enough decent ones with the word "vampire" on the typeline is a bad idea."

p.s. "You shouldn't be playing Vampire.dec in the first place" is a very good counter argument. If you need a shovel to dig yourself out from underground, the first question that would come to most peoples mind is "what were you doing in underground?"
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO




Also, Gatekeeper costs 3.




Gatekeeper costs 2. Gatekeeper with kicker costs 3. I've done the former plenty of times.



Fine, you play it without kicker. Now what separates gatekeeper from Grizzly Bears :3?




Nothing, but at least I know what separates it from a 2/1 that can't block.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Guul Draz Vampire is a card thats been floating on my radar as decent...kinda. Its odd but I like it partly, but wish it had more of a inital bigger body or a less hindering ability to buff said body than your opponent being half dead

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage


Guul Draz Vampire is a card thats been floating on my radar as decent...kinda. Its odd but I like it partly, but wish it had more of a inital bigger body or a less hindering ability to buff said body than your opponent being half dead



Off topic, but ok.


I love it, but it just doesn't make the cut. 3/2 with evasion for 1cc? Perfect. Unfortunately, your opponent spends a lot more time at 11-20 than at 0-10.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO




He would probably be a lot happier if he played more resiliant or larger creatures, or if he drew more discard to protect his threats.




Yeah, like a creature that wouldn't stay dead and kept eating removal spells. Wait...



Quick! Let's pour rum on the flames! Why would your opponent keep feeding cards into a lost cause? It's easy enough to take 2 damage.


Do you remember a little recursive black creature called Ichorid, waaaaay back from Torment?


I think we can all draw a lot of comparisons from Ichorid to Bloodghast.  Except Bloodghast is half of Ichorid's casting cost, and doesn't die at the end of your turn, in exchange for one less power and a slightly different recursive method.  But Ichorid was still great, because it could come back repeatedly and beat your opponent, given you had dead guys to exile.


Saying bloodghast is bad because it's for the most part a vanilla 2/1 for 2 mana is a silly argument.  Yes, it's vanilla when it hits the field.  Yes, there are situations where you'd rather be using something else.  But that can be said of many good cards.  The recursive factor means everything, and allows a player a certain edge when racing.  It's also good for board-sweeper recovery, and if it's PtE'ed, you at least get a land and your bigger finishers can't be hit by that PtE now.


The card isn't meant to have a mind-blowing effect; it's good in the way Tarmogoyf was good, by applying constant pressure to your opponent, who could ignore it and take a lot of damage, or remove it and be down one removal spell.




Ichorid deals three damage, hits the grave no matter what, has trample.


Bloodghast deals two damage, has a good chance of not hitting the grave, lacks evasion.


Ichorid and Bloodghast were also in two completely different eras. Odyssey could abuse the grave like nothing else and had better sacing abuses. Alara/Zendikar couldn't really care that much about the grave and has minimal sacing abuses.


p.s. A 2/1 does not apply the same pressure as a 3+/4+.




Ichiord doesn't have trample.

Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.


Ichiord doesn't have trample.




Ah! So he doesn't. I must've gotten caught up with all the Hellsparks.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Guul daz is pretty bad. There are so many better cards that I would rather play late game. Vampires has a problem in the early game not the late, at least from my experience. Also I would not necessarily call vampires a bad deck, some people had good success with it at FNM. There are bad vampire builds, but if you play the right deck they can be competitive.

True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!

Vampires are good. Here's a well-built version:

4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Bloodghast
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Vampire Nocturnus
-------------------------------
24 Creatures

4 Quest for the Gravelord
4 Sign in Blood
4 Tendrils of Corruption
----------------------------------
12 Other Spells

3 Marsh Flats
3 Verdant Catacombs
18 Swamp
-----------------------------
24 Land


4 Black Knight
3 Deathmark
3 Disfigure
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Duress
---------------------------
15 Sideboard Cards


Guul daz is pretty bad. There are so many better cards that I would rather play late game. Vampires has a problem in the early game not the late, at least from my experience. Also I would not necessarily call vampires a bad deck, some people had good success with it at FNM. There are bad vampire builds, but if you play the right deck they can be competitive.




For kicking ass:

Slipper < Sneaker < Boot < Steel Toed < Steel Toed With A Massive Spike On The Tip

Vampire.dec is somewhere between Boot and Steel Toed. Just because it's currently winning doesn't mean it's the best there ever was or could be. With Zen so new, decks are still being discovered and tweaked. Vampire.dec just doesn't take much thought to put together. Throw together 40 black cards with a lot of them being vampires and you have a decent deck.


Edit: Above post proves my point of just vampire=deck.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO





Also, Gatekeeper costs 3.




Gatekeeper costs 2. Gatekeeper with kicker costs 3. I've done the former plenty of times.



Fine, you play it without kicker. Now what separates gatekeeper from Grizzly Bears :3?




Nothing, but at least I know what separates it from a 2/1 that can't block.



The fact that it'll die and never come back?

The fact is, you play gatekeeper unkicked and he's horrible. He is a 3 cc unless you have some ungodly reason to play him otherwise.


If you play gatekeeper at 2 bloodghast is better.


After Bloodghast is dead, all he becomes is a free creature every time you play a land. Is he a big bomb win-con? Obviously not. He's a recurring little dude who is capable of applying pressure in the right decks.


 

I am Blue/Black


The fact that it'll die and never come back?

The fact is, you play gatekeeper unkicked and he's horrible. He is a 3 cc unless you have some ungodly reason to play him otherwise.


If you play gatekeeper at 2 bloodghast is better.


After Bloodghast is dead, all he becomes is a free creature every time you play a land. Is he a big bomb win-con? Obviously not. He's a recurring little dude who is capable of applying pressure in the right decks.


 




Why. Would. Bloodghast. Die. To. Removal.?

He applies about as much pressure as a Mountain Goat except blockable and it can't block.


Was Nether Traitor playable when it was out? No. Why should Bloodghast be? To be honest, I'd rather play Nether Traitor.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Vampire Nocturnus pushes Vampires over the top. You'll notice he creates an immediate impact on the board, unlike other clunkers. You can even manipulate the deck quite easily to almost ensure liftoff. Most of the creatures you'd want for a mono-black aggro deck are Vampires, so of course it's best to just max out on that plan. Of course, it's still a necessity to have cards like Quest for the Gravelord to harden the decks resolve. But I'd like to know why 24 Vampires that are good on their own can't be put into a deck together?


Vampire Nocturnus pushes Vampires over the top. You'll notice he creates an immediate impact on the board, unlike other clunkers. You can even manipulate the deck quite easily to almost ensure liftoff. Most of the creatures you'd want for a mono-black aggro deck are Vampires, so of course it's best to just max out on that plan. Of course, it's still a necessity to have cards like Quest for the Gravelord to harden the decks resolve. But I'd like to know why 24 Vampires that are good on their own can't be put into a deck together?




4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Bloodghast bad
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk meh. efficient, yes. best option for 3cc/less? no.
4 Vampire Nocturnus

And as you pointed out, Nocturnus is really the card that makes this deck viable in the end. One well timed Lightning Bolt, one Path to Exile, one Tendrils of Corruption, or simply not seeing him, and the entire deck crumbles under a heap of filler cards.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO