10/08/2009 FtL: "The Fall of Land"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Man, Perilous Forays, I should have thought of that one.  I put that in so many decks, back in Ravnica block...

And Dismantle + Darksteel Reactor is a classic.  I had a deck that used Solarion. ;)  Cool artwork with the Gilder Bairn by the Eternity Vessel!

Those of you familiar with the various combos with Perilous Forays might be aware that this is a modern-day (and probably more efficient) version of the "old" super land combo. That one involved Seed the Land and Stone-Seeder Hierophant to accomplish the same goal.

You know what also works well with Stone-Seeder Hierophant...AND is in Magic 2010?  That's right, Warp World.  Hmmmmmm...

What about Eternity Vessel + Channel?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Just a thing: the landmill version 2.0 deck isn't legal; gush is banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

On the other hand, maybe phantom seer can replace the gush, since it does about the same (except more expensive).

Just a thing: the landmill version 2.0 deck isn't legal; gush is banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

On the other hand, maybe phantom seer can replace the gush, since it does about the same (except more expensive).

I'm pretty sure this column is primarily designed around casual play. Legality is inconsequential.

I'm pretty sure this column is primarily designed around casual play. Legality is inconsequential.

I'd agree with that, and add a further observation: in casual play (barring proxies) I'd wager that cost is an issue more than legality. The core rare components for Ghastly Peril (cobra + bloodghast + ob nix + fetchlands) cost around £180 (about $290) which is a lot for a whole deck, let alone less than 25% of rhe deck. I know this is not BOAB but hard to see how it isn't a factor if someone wanted to go out and build a variant of this deck "for fun".

Fun decks! Nice article.

It seemed like the first and third decks could have been made extended-legal with a little work. Although Delusions IS really nice with Eternity Vessel.

I'd like to try the 3rd deck.. I think it could be made more efficient by adding some early defense, counters, and some more artifact tutoring.

From the Lab usually specifies the format for each deck.  For Landfall 2.0, right below the deck's name, the format is listed as "Legacy".

Damn you, Noel, for spitting out so many decks I want to play and don't have time nor money to make!

But I DO allready have a very fun Eternity Vessel deck, which combines the mythic rare with Illusions of Granduer, Channel, Life and Limb, Mycoloth, Spitting Image, Verdant Force and Embrace, Verdoloth the Ancient, and a life gaining card based on the number of creatures you have, and Dauntless Doubark, and Timber Protector, and Endless Dawn (some of these are in sideboard).

The end result is tons of mana, tons of creatures, and tons of life. Very Johnny, and very Timmy.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I spent some time thinking more about the very cool Dismantle/ Eternity Vessel trick, and it hit me that Dismantle gives +1/+1 counters too!

It seems like this could very easily slot into an artifact creature deck(affinity might be too fast..), and you could just attack for the win.  Eternity Vessel is good enough to put in on its own. And Arcum Dagsson is a nice addition to turn any of your artifact creatures into Eternity Vessel early.

I spent some time thinking more about the very cool Dismantle/ Eternity Vessel trick, and it hit me that Dismantle gives +1/+1 counters too!

It seems like this could very easily slot into an artifact creature deck(affinity might be too fast..), and you could just attack for the win.  Eternity Vessel is good enough to put in on its own. And Arcum Dagsson is a nice addition to turn any of your artifact creatures into Eternity Vessel early.

The first thing I thought when I saw Eternity Vessel, was to make an artifact creature heavy deck, featuring cards like Arcbound Overseer, Coretapper, Energy Tapper. But also throw in some ways to get coloured mana (liek Coalition Relic) to play Lightning Reaver, and other cards mentioned in the article. And of course, for overkill, there is always Doubling Season

In fact, I have 4 of Darksteel Reactor's, Arcbound Overseer, Lightning Reaver... Tis a deck I must make :P

98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!

only thing i can think to do with those is play eternity vessel on turn 2. i feel like there are better choices, like banefire.

only thing i can think to do with those is play eternity vessel on turn 2. i feel like there are better choices, like banefire.

Once you have Eternity Vessel out, Channel = tons of mana at no cost if you have a land.