10/7/2009 StF: "The Moment of Discovery"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

...sooo, what type of creature would a black creature be if it was incorpral, have swampwalk, and have a repeatable pump ability be?

...sooo, what type of creature would a black creature be if it was incorpral, have swampwalk, and have a repeatable pump ability be?

A shade, of course?  Wraith -> Swampwalk, Swampwalk !-> Wraith.  Pump ability -> Shade.

Of course I'm wrong.  Dirtwater Wraith is an excellent example - pumps and Swampwalks.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Wrong? No, you're right. Because Swampwalk trumps the half shade ability! Of course, they could use unhinged technology and make it a 1/2 Shade Wraith...

It would be a shade. A Whispering Shade to be exact. Dirtwater Wraith doesn't qualify as much since its pump is only half of the normal shade ability.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

GREAT article. i really appreciate the fact that you concepted land dropping as actual travel in zendikar, rather than just "remembering a mana bond," which i find to be lame and incompatible with large quantities of spells that interact with lands. the specific explanations of individual card flavor is something i really appreciate and it was very entertaining and interesting. the hedron crab explanation was especially exciting to me, as i had no idea what its flavor was supposed to be. you should do this sort of thing as often as possible.

There's value in having those subtypes be split out from one another, because you get nice, specific terms for all those mechanical design conventions; but on the other hand, there'd be value in a type that would unify all those creatures

hmmm, maybe MAKING UNDEAD A SUPERTYPE OR CREATURE TYPE?!!??!?!?!

UNDEAD VAMPIRE. UNDEAD ZOMBIE. UNDEAD SHADE.

this solves both problems neatly. do this immediate and use errata liberally. Smile

Just wanted to comment that Shade is one of my all time favourite creature type.

Frozen Shade was the card that get me interested into the game because of the artwork. Darkling Stalker  was my favourite card during my casual time (4th edition through masques). Ironically he wasnt a shade until errata update.

I just like those shades

Yay!  I think that the bond between a mage and mana is one of the more overlooked aspects of flavor and yet I think it's the most interesting and unique to magic.  Thank you for discussing it, and for paying so much attention to it during development (or is it design?) of Zendikar.

Really Far Away Drake was very funny.  Nice job!

I actually like the division of Spirit/Wraith/etc.  I don't think similar types should be divided very often, but I also don't think that all similar types should be unified either.  I really like that it provides the opportunity for cards like Death Baron and Undead Slayer, where multiple creature types can be enhanced and you're trying to find the right overlap.

GREAT article. i really appreciate the fact that you concepted land dropping as actual travel in zendikar, rather than just "remembering a mana bond," which i find to be lame and incompatible with large quantities of spells that interact with lands. the specific explanations of individual card flavor is something i really appreciate and it was very entertaining and interesting. the hedron crab explanation was especially exciting to me, as i had no idea what its flavor was supposed to be. you should do this sort of thing as often as possible.

Yeah, I have always loved flavour when it comes to any game that I play, and I enjoyed reading about why Landfall affects creatures in diffrent ways and why. ^_^

Interesting. I did not recognize the divide between landfall (wild) and Allies (civilized). I wish that was emphasized a bit more, as it really defines what Zendikar is, in retrospect.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Wrong? No, you're right. Because Swampwalk trumps the half shade ability! Of course, they could use unhinged technology and make it a 1/2 Shade Wraith...

Apparently, Swampwalk trumps everything.

Edit: Just noticed that Odylic Wraith was originally of type "Undead", too. Hmm...

Undead happened in Watherlight, I think someone on creative got upset with the shade/wraith thing (zombie, ghost, skeleton too).

Since I'm often critical, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this article.  The flavor of Zendikar's mechanics seems pretty well thought out...which makes me wish even more that the allies had made it onto cards with the original "adventurer" name.

Interesting. I did not recognize the divide between landfall (wild) and Allies (civilized). I wish that was emphasized a bit more, as it really defines what Zendikar is, in retrospect.

Agreed. At first, I saw them as simple machanics, but thanks to that artecal, I can see the flavour behind them.

Agreed. At first, I saw them as simple machanics, but thanks to that artecal, I can see the flavour behind them.

the article helped me appreciate the landfall flavor more but i still think the allies are weak and boring.

the article helped me appreciate the landfall flavor more but i still think the allies are weak and boring.

I dissagree. I'm liking allies and I can see that now they have Landfall for animals and Allies for Humanoids. Don't see why they are bad.

well it's entirely an opinion thing but they are bad because they are a tribal mechanic without a tribe and the flavor is poorly established. many of them don't make any sense; as i said in another thread, why would a wise merfolk be wiser in a party, why would a survivalist be stronger in a party, etc? are the allies holding the merfolk's book for him, or turning the pages for him? if you play the cat made of rocks and the merfolk is in play, you draw two cards. i just don't see the flavor.

the minotaur guy who pumps all your guys makes sense, but i find him to be amazingly boring anyway. after such a strong tribal showing in lorwyn/shadowmoor this weak pseudo tribal thing just seems like a lame afterthought to me.

well it's entirely an opinion thing but they are bad because they are a tribal mechanic without a tribe and the flavor is poorly established. many of them don't make any sense; as i said in another thread, why would a wise merfolk be wiser in a party, why would a survivalist be stronger in a party, etc? are the allies holding the merfolk's book for him, or turning the pages for him? if you play the cat made of rocks and the merfolk is in play, you draw two cards. i just don't see the flavor.

the minotaur guy who pumps all your guys makes sense, but i find him to be amazingly boring anyway. after such a strong tribal showing in lorwyn/shadowmoor this weak pseudo tribal thing just seems like a lame afterthought to me.

I think that the flavour texts on the Ally cards do a good job of explaining why Allies make each other better. Essentially, the teamwork in combat and learning from each other makes each ally stronger.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I think that the flavour texts on the Ally cards do a good job of explaining why Allies make each other better. Essentially, the teamwork in combat and learning from each other makes each ally stronger.

Yeah, I think it makes sense.