Iona, Shield of Emeria

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

If Iona is removed from the battlefield, either through damage or exile, does her "opponent can't cast spells of the chosen color" effect stil remain in effect? Or is the effect null when she leaves the battlefield?

Photobucket

it only functions when she's in play. once gone, there's no longer that restriction and they can play whatever they want.

No.  If it would have said ''for the rest of the game, your opponent cant cast spells...''  (like Stigma lasher says) it would have been true, but its not the case here.  It only applies while the angel is in play.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

Ok, 2nd (and more important) question - Why can't I respond to Iona's controller choosing a color (i.e. black) by casting doom blade? Iona's card specifically says when Iona enters the battlefield, which implies that the cast has resolved, and she's become a permanent.

Shouldn't it be like this? -

1. Player casts Iona.

2. Cast resolves, Iona enters battlefield.

3. Iona's ability triggers from entering battlefield, player chooses color (black). Trigger goes on stack.

4. Opponent responds with Doom Blade. Doom Blade goes on stack.

5. Both items of stack resolve, with doom blade killing Iona.

Photobucket

Iona does not have a triggered ability.  Triggered abilities use the words "When", "Whenever", or  "At"

If Iona is removed from the battlefield, either through damage or exile, does her "opponent can't cast spells of the chosen color" effect stil remain in effect? Or is the effect null when she leaves the battlefield?

If Glorious Anthem leaves the battlefield, do all my creatures still get +1/+1?

If Grave Pact leaves the battlefield, do my opponents still have to sacrifice a creature whenever one of mine goes to the graveyard?

If Elvish Champion leaves the battlefield do all my elves still have forestwalk?

The answer to all these questions (and to yours) is "no."  Most abilities (and these are no exception) only function while the object with the ability is on the battlefield.  Abilities that function in a different zone either can't work at all from on the battlefield, or else they specifically say which zone(s) they work in (also there is a list somewhere in the CR that lays out all the conditions for abilities that function from zones other than the battlefield).  Ah, here it is:

1. Game Concepts

112. Abilities

112.5. Abilities of an instant or sorcery spell usually function only while that object is on the stack. Abilities of all other objects usually function only while that object is on the battlefield. The exceptions are as follows:

112.5a Characteristic-defining abilities function everywhere, even outside the game. (See rule 604.3.)

112.5b An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.

112.5c An object's ability that modifies what that particular object costs to cast functions on the stack.

112.5d An object's ability that restricts or modifies how that particular object can be played or cast functions in any zone from which it could be played or cast.

112.5e An object's ability that restricts or modifies what zones that particular object can be played or cast from functions in all zones.

112.5f An object's ability that modifies how that particular object enters the battlefield functions as that object is entering the battlefield. See rule 613.12.

112.5g An object's activated ability that has a cost that can't be paid while the object is on the battlefield functions from any zone in which its cost can be paid.

112.5h A trigger condition that can't trigger from the battlefield functions in all zones it can trigger from. Other trigger conditions of the same triggered ability may function in different zones.
Example: Absolver Thrull has the ability "When Absolver Thrull enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment." The first trigger condition triggers from the battlefield and the second trigger condition functions from the exile zone. (See rule 702.52, "Haunt.")

112.5i An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it's on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless that ability's trigger condition, or a previous part of that ability's cost or effect, specifies that the object is put into that zone.
Example: Necrosavant says "{3}{B}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: Return Necrosavant from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep." A player may activate this ability only if Necrosavant is in his or her graveyard.

112.5j An ability that modifies the rules for deck construction functions before the game begins. Such an ability modifies not just the Comprehensive Rules, but also the _Magic: The Gathering_ Tournament Rules and any other documents that set the deck construction rules for a specific Constructed format. However, such an ability can't affect the format legality of a card, including whether it's banned or restricted. The current _Magic: The Gathering_ Tournament Rules can be found at <www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=...>.

112.5k Abilities of plane cards function in the command zone. See rule 901, "Planar Magic."

[Edit]:

Ok, 2nd (and more important) question - Why can't I respond to Iona's controller choosing a color (i.e. black) by casting doom blade? Iona's card specifically says when Iona enters the battlefield

No, it doesn't.  It says As Iona enters the battlefield.  This is not a triggered ability, it's a replacement effect that modifies how she enters the battlefield.  Instead of simply Iona entering the battlefield, that event becomes Iona enters the battlefield and you choose a color.

Then, as long as she remains on the battlefield, her static ability prevents your oppoents from casting spells of the chosen color.

MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!

Re-read the card, and it uses "As" instead of "when"...

Despite the wording, can someone explain to me how an ability that, for lack of a better word, activates based on the permanent entering the battlefield isn't a triggered effect? Is it purely based on wording? If so, that seems downright silly, considering how powerful Iona's ability is.

Photobucket

As Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield, choose a color. So she's not on the field yet. You can respond with doom blade, but since Iona isn't on the field you cannot target her, but you can kill any other legal target before Iona hit the battlefield, As soon that she hit it it's too late, your doom blade become an illegal spell. So if you play against many Iona in your group, sidedeck some Dark Temper and play with some dragonskull summit and/or Veinfire Borderpost to kill that angel bannign your black spells.

Re-read the card, and it uses "As" instead of "when"...

Despite the wording, can someone explain to me how an ability that, for lack of a better word, activates based on the permanent entering the battlefield isn't a triggered effect? Is it purely based on wording? If so, that seems downright silly, considering how powerful Iona's ability is.

Yes, it is all based on wording.  "As" is not a triggered ability.  If Clone had a triggered ability it would go to the graveyard before it turned into another creature.

As Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield, choose a color. So she's not on the field yet. You can respond with doom blade, but since Iona isn't on the field you cannot target her, but you can kill any other legal target before Iona hit the battlefield, As soon that she hit it it's too late, your doom blade become an illegal spell. So if you play against many Iona in your group, sidedeck some Dark Temper and play with some dragonskull summit and/or Veinfire Borderpost to kill that angel bannign your black spells.

VeinfireBorderpost is a black spell - you can't cast it with Iona set to "Black"

VeinfireBorderpost is a black spell - you can't cast it with Iona set to "Black"

But if the veinfire post is already in play you can still tap it to generate the red mana to cast Dark temper. Normaly if your opponent already have Iona on the field and you still have no mana producing other color then the banned colors it will be really hard to survive. So I was hoping that he would already have a red mana producer in play to cast a red spell to kill Iona. And since that red spell in my exemple is dark temper, I'm hoping that he already have at least 1 black permanent on the battlefield.

Triggered abilities will always use one of the trigger words "when," "whenever," or "at."  These abilities look for some event to happen, and then after that event happens the ability triggers, goes on the stack, and eventually resolves.

Replacement effects, on the other hand, also watch for some event to happen, but instead of waiting around until after the event happens and then doing something else, they step in and modify how the event happens in the first place.  So in this case, the event "Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield." becomes instead "Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield and you choose a color."  The choosing of the color is part of the same event (the resolving creature spell) that puts her on the battlefield in the first place.

To go off an a hypothetical tangent, Iona could have been worded with a triggered ability instead of a replacement effect.  That would look something like this:
When Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield, choose a color.  As long as Iona, Shield of Emeria is on the battlefield, your opponents can't cast spells of the chosen color.

With that wording, your opponents would have an opportunity to cast spells of any color after she enters the battlefield, but before the triggered ability resolved.  Note, however, that you wouldn't actually choose the color until the ability actually resolves, not when it triggers.  So by the time you actually do choose the color it's still too late for your opponents to cast any spells of that color.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!

So, would you be able to counterspell an Iona set to Blue since she hasn't actually entered the battlefield yet?

So, would you be able to counterspell an Iona set to Blue since she hasn't actually entered the battlefield yet?

If she isn't on the battlefield yet, she isn't set to blue.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.