10/6/2009 SF: "Land Ho!"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Why, exactly, do multiple Vigor triggers (haha, a rhyme) not stack?  I would think that each ability would trigger separately; it seems that it would do that, and so 5 Vigors would mean 5 times as many counters.

we had a guy play the rite fully kicked on that new green ally guy that makes wolves DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!

Why, exactly, do multiple Vigor triggers (haha, a rhyme) not stack?  I would think that each ability would trigger separately; it seems that it would do that, and so 5 Vigors would mean 5 times as many counters.

Only one Vigor gets to be the one that prevents the damage, and so only one Vigor adds counters.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Cheers for quoting me, Kelly - I feel all famous now! *blushes*

Thanks for the tip about keeping the copies too - I hadnt realised that! And as you mentioned Fog, it gave me an idea: wait for your opponent to block the tokens, and then cast Tanglesap so they all survive! (while your opponent takes all that lovely Trample damage)

Cheers!

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

There aren't really any Zendikar decks I want to build, but I might get some singles to put in other decks. If I get enough cards over the course of the block, I'll see if I can mash something together.

we had a guy play the rite fully kicked on that new green ally guy that makes wolves DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's nice and all, but it doesn't kill your opponent the turn you do it. Kicking a Rite targeting a Harga Diabolist or Malakir Bloodwitch probably will; in the case of the latter, even if your opponent surives it will be very difficult to kill you.

Because it's not a triggered ability.

"If damage would be dealt to a creature you control other than Vigor, prevent that damage. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature for each 1 damage prevented this way."

Because it's not a triggered ability.

"If damage would be dealt to a creature you control other than Vigor, prevent that damage. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature for each 1 damage prevented this way."

To expand on that.. it's a replacement effect. You (the Vigor controller) choose which order the replacement effects apply, but whichever one of the 5 applies first is the one that prevents the damage.. the remaining 4 have no damage to prevent.

Now to more important questions:

Why does Garruk have a Jack-o-Lantern expansion symbol?

Looks like it's the first time we've seen the new artwork for Garruk from the new Duel Deck series. You can see the new expansion symbol here...

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...

And Bloodchief Ascension looks absolutely stone-cold bonkers in multiplayer.

Indeed. No matter which way you look at it, this looks like one extremely ridiculous multiplayer card. However, it may be ridiculous in a very negative way for the player who has it, because the most simple and logical strategic solution to that card is for every of that player's opponents to stop attacking anyone else so the Ascension doesn't get counters, until it is destroyed or its controller is dead, lol.

The type of multiplayer deck Bloodchief Ascension would probably be the most violent in, once active, would be a milling deck : Glimpse the Unthinkable or Mind Funeral outright kill a player, and permanents that mill each player such as Dreamborn Muse and Mesmeric Orb drain people continuously for considerable amounts. However, the tricky part for that deck would be to actually put counters on Ascension, something other players will quickly learn to not do for you.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A