What are your house rules?

71 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, what are your houserules?

Mine are as follows.

1. Banned items: Radiant, Reckless, Staff of Ruin, Iron Armbands and Bloodclaw.

2. Penalties can't stack and they can't be unnamed penatlie sources. Ergo, a penalty from an item can't be combined with another penalty from an item and there's no such thing as an unnamed/untyped penalty..

3. The DMG2 "automatic scaling for magic items" feature. Basically, you get the effects of magic items without the need for them.

4. Add the effects of the expertise to the character's hit roll. Expertise feat banned.

Nothing else really...

1. The Avenger doesn't exist. The avenging paladin has become a real build by eating said Avenger.

2. Expertise folded into each and every character. Expertise feat doesn't exist.

3. All pcs get a +1 to hit. meaning a 14, is where the 16 is now. And a 13 is somewhat playable.

4. Daily Powers have become Milestone Powers. Upon reaching a Milestone, pick a spent daily power that power recharges.

5. The Elven races have been folded into one race. You pick the ability score bonuses you want, and whatever "racial package" suits your character best.

6. Greatsword is d12, Full blade is 2d6.

7. Magic Missile does 3d4 damage. Make an attack roll for each d4, and you can strike up to 3 targets with it.

8. as a Class Encounter power, wizards can make an AOE not hit friendly targets.

http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.

The only houserule I felt was needed for my current campaign:

1. no Dragon Magazines or Power Books allowed.

With only this as a houserule, I found that I can work everything else by RAW.
No complaints from my players so far, no game-breaking combo.

Cheers.

1. Each day traveling, each PC rolls percentile dice to check for encounters along the road. Typical chance is 25% in the wilderness.

2. You only roll once to hit with area powers.

That's the only ones I can really think of now.

1) Expertise feats do not exist. Everyone gets +1 to-hit at level 5, +2 at 15, and +3 at 25.

2) Paragon Defenses and Robust Defenses do not exist. Everyone gets +1 all NADs at level 11 and +2 at level 21. These count as feat bonuses.

3) Everyone gets 3 stat boosts (instead of 2) at levels 4, 8, 14, 18, 24, 28.

4) You can make an athletics check while charging to be able to jump and charge.

1. Casting a Ritual from a Ritual Scroll costs no components

2. +x magic weapons/armor/implements aren't magical, just superiorly crafted or exceptional material (or both) = They cannot be disenchanted and the throwing weapons isn't returning.

3. To gain the benefit of Background, you actually have to sit down and write a background story for your character in digital or in paper form and read by the DM

4. Good roleplaying is rewarded by having your APs reset to 2 instead of one after the next extended rest.

5. Extended rests that are more comfortable than a bedroll in the woods, grants extra healing surges afterwards. So a warm bed and hot food yields an extra HS, while more luxurious standards yields 2 extra healing surges the next day.

I allow almost unlimited rebuilding of your character.  When the changes make the charcter fit your character concept better particularly if new material comes out, I allow players to make changes to feats, powers, class options and ability scores.  Also, if particular powers end up being unfun and/or uselss, I allow them to be retrained to something that is more fun for the player.

<\ \>tuntman

I have a DM who does not count Encounter or Daily powers as used if you natural 1 them.  He is old school and sees a natural 1 as a bungled action - something you couldn't even get started correctly.

I just have a handfull. I am oldschool so one is;

Natural 1 attack roll = grant combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

Spending an Action Point (Life Point in my campaign) gains you either an action OR you can regain an Encounter Power.

Regain a Daily (not just a Power Daily) when you reach a milestone.

Pick 3 backgrounds and 1 to gain a benefit from. (Wish I could add my own Backgrounds to the choices.)

The expertise built in is a good idea? I may try that one. Is there a way to set that up in the Character Builder? Perhaps house ruling within the builder and giving everyone the expertise feat of their choice for free?

1) A roll of natural 1-4 is an automatic failure to any savings throw.  Natural 17-20 a success.

2) Wizards Orb of Imposition applies to only one roll (placing it on par with the other powers IMO)

I should note the above two houserules are preventative abuses only, none of my players have yet to even considered an orb wizard or otherwise save abuse build, but I've seen other players suck the fun of encounters. Otherwise it has only factored in to some save based powers that apply bonuses equal to an attribute.

3) Only after every player took the Implement/Weapon Expertise feat did I give it for free.  In the future I'll just houserule its free.

4) Failing to Aid Another hinders the overall roll by 2 for all rolls that have time pressure or immediate penalties associated with them. 

5) Various natural 1/natural 20 houserules which are mostly due to the players and flavor than anything else. Natural 20 on a check gives a +2 circumstance bonus to the next skill/attack.  Natural 1 on a check knocks you prone (for physical stunts), or provides a -2 circumstance bonus.  Natural 1 on attack rolls end your turn immediately after completion of said power and its effects.

6) Various houserules on magical items:  Not in terms of banning but rather making them more universal.  Lots of magical items are limited to melee attacks. I modify a lot of them to include ranged attacks with a weapon or implement.  Iron Armbands for example could be used by a wizards ranged attacks for example (not bursts or area).

1) Free expertise at level 5, etc.  Will probably give +1 to NADs at 11th, and +2 at 21st, but haven't gotten there yet.

2) Extended rests now a two day long "recuperation".  Overnight sleep just restores hitpoints.  Adventures can now span several days if it makes sense for the story, while making decisions about use of healing surges and dailies meaningful.

3) No milestones: get an AP every encounter.  You can forgo regaining an action point after an encounter to gain the other effects of a normal milestone.

4) Magic weapons and implements can be used as plain magic implments of any kind (i.e., a wizard could use a +2 jagged longsword as a +2 magic wand, not a +2 jagged wand).  Any means of using a weapon as an implement provided by the normal rules work normal (a WoST could use that longsword as a +2 jagged wand,  as per RAW).  Just makes things a little easier for classes needing both a weapon and an implement.

1: fail an aid another check and you grant your ally a -2 instead of a +2

2: the raise dead ritul cost 1/5 the cost in the book but it also brings you into the presence of a representative of the Raven Queen, perhaps one of her archangels where you engage in a skill challenge to negotiate for the return of your friend's soul.

1.  Everyone gets one Expertise feat, retrainable every level (without taking your Retraining spot), for free.

2.  Charge is corrected to "must move at least 2, each square of the move must take you closer to the target, must stop in the first legal square you reach to make the attack you're using at the end of the Charge"

3.  Creating a scroll costs the normal book+casting cost, using it costs nothing. Yes, this *does* lead to "Scroll of Raise Dead (Heroic)"

4. Using a scroll takes a full turn, nothing more.  Move + Minor + Standard, if you're not stunned, dazed, or unconscious before the start of your next turn the scroll effect happens immediately.  And extra actions don't matter - you could AP, and Boots Of Eagerness, and Ring Of Free Time - as long as WHEN YOU START CASTING you have a Move, a Minor, and a Standard to spend *in this round*, at the start of your next turn the scroll effect happens.

5. I have a copy of all character sheets, and you email all changes to your sheet to me.  I don't care if it's "I took Downward Spiral and retrained to get Low Slash" or if you send me a PDF or a .dnd4e, I have a copy of your character.

6.  I get to finish my flavour text before you start talking.  I promise not to ever punish or penalise, in any way, any PC for EVER waiting for a description or villain monologue or whatever to finish.  In exchange, I gets to reads me some description.  I've usually got a punchline, trust me.

I think that's it.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

1: fail an aid another check and you grant your ally a -2 instead of a +2

Oooh.  I tend to use:

"Aid Another:  Roll against the standard DC for the skill. Success = +2 to the primary.  Failure = -2 to the primary."

I'd forgotten that one!

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

1.  I allow my players a higher stat array than 22 point buy allows.  Basically, your 4, 5, & 6th stat can be as high as your 3rd best stat in regular point buy.  You can set your stat as high or as low as you want, with that as the top limit.  This lets players have stats that fit more closely to their character conception while really not changing the gameplay at all.

2.  Adventurer's Vault items only given out by DM.  A big part of my campaign is to eliminate not just the overpowered stuff, but the no-brainer boring stuff like Iron Armbands.  This includes the AV superior weapons.  I'll re-visit this when superior implements are introduced.  Pretty much every overpowered combo in D&D relies on one or more power from Adventurer's Vault, including the Orbizard, the Stormblade buzzsaw of death, etc.  Regulate that and 90% of your headaches are gone.

3.  Not really a house rule, but I give out feats if they are important to the characters backstory.  Generally I try to make these something player would like to have, but that don't make the cut for a pick themselves.  For instance a Warlord player who is a knight might get the heavy shield feat for free.  The sorcerer player's familiar winds up being a storytelling vehicle for the DM more than a mechanical help for the player, so I gave her the feat instead of making her buy it.

4.  The ubiquitous, "Everybody gets Expertise for free".  I up the ante by making it universal for every weapon and implement you are proficient with, as I like the idea of characters wielding a variety of weapons than relying, superhero-like on their one schtick.

1. Residuum does not exist
2. Powers/Feats need to be learned/trained

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

3.  Creating a scroll costs the normal book+casting cost, using it costs nothing. Yes, this *does* lead to "Scroll of Raise Dead (Heroic)"

4. Using a scroll takes a full turn, nothing more.  Move + Minor + Standard, if you're not stunned, dazed, or unconscious before the start of your next turn the scroll effect happens immediately.  And extra actions don't matter - you could AP, and Boots Of Eagerness, and Ring Of Free Time - as long as WHEN YOU START CASTING you have a Move, a Minor, and a Standard to spend *in this round*, at the start of your next turn the scroll effect happens.

I like these two... I think i will adopt them.

1- Residium and gold can be used interchangeably.

2- Gain a bonus language and trained skill at level 11 and 21. The skill must be a class skill. Multiclass characters can pick skills from either class. If there are no class skills remaining pick any skill to be trained in.

3- Multiclass Feats- If a multiclass feat would grant you training in a skill in which you are already trained, you instead gain skill focus in said skill.

4- PC's gain an additional bonus language known for each point of their int mod. (This bonus is retroactive, if a characters Int changes.)

5- Intimidate's in combat use is altered.(AKA not an option)

6- Warlocks can use all daggers as impliments, not just pact daggers.

7- Bards can use shortsword, longsword, and scimitar as impliments not just luckblades.

8- Introduced a Mul, Gray (leader)Orc, and Green (brute) Orc race.

9- +5 per tier to the DC for aid another.

10- Halflings and versitile weapons- small creatures treat all versitile weapons as two handed weapons. This is usually only relavent in the case of the two handed fighter talents, but it could come up other places as well.

11- A character can take as many multiclass feats as they desire, provided they are all for the same class.

12-Channel Divinity-Every second channel divinity feat taken grants an additional use per encounter of the channel divinity class feature. Powers can still only be used once per encounter. 
13- Clerics No longer need to choose a diety. The setting is pantheonic, and as such followers are encouraged to follow all or multiple gods. This means that any and all channel divinity feats are open to any divine character.

Things to note-

• I have not DMed a game of 4e for months now, so I'd have to revise them with the release of PHB 2, and splatbooks released since then. (Been doing shadowrun 4e/homebrew systems mostly)

• None of my players will do something for more than a session if asked to stop, EX: discovered something broken.

• I allow unlimited retraining on anything at the end of a session. If you took a multiclass feat, and paragon pathed into something, and it turns out you hate it, swap em out for something cool.

• I also level up at the end of every session, no XP awarded ever. Additionally we will level if the players agree "we ought to level".  

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

2) Extended rests now a two day long "recuperation".  Overnight sleep just restores hitpoints.  Adventures can now span several days if it makes sense for the story, while making decisions about use of healing surges and dailies meaningful.

I like this one and may use it or something similar...

House-rule #1: No house rules.

House-rule #2: No whining about house rule #1.

PtM

Your house-rules suck.

All of the GMs in our group (except on Game Days) use a different form of the humble healing potion: instead of 10 HP for a Healing Surge, you get the benefit of a Healing Surge without spending one.  For most people it means that you are getting fewer hit points than you would otherwise but you're not giving up a Surge in the process.

The only other houserule I use is to allow players' powers to recharge kind of like monsters do (but far less often).  At the beginning of each player's turn he has the option to make a recharge roll (1d20).  On a 19 he can recharge any expended encounter power.  On a 20 he can recharge any expended daily or encounter power.

I instituted this rule because I got tired of combats boiling down "I use at-will attack X" because everything else was expended.  It seems to be working very well so far.  Players' powers don't recharge all that often but they do recharge just often enough to keep things interesting.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

I'll post the number one house rule in my games.

#1 - No one is allowed to drink more alcohol than the DM, during a game.

This allows my groups to relax and enjoy, without getting so smashed that playing the game is impossible.

Long Live Dragonlance and the Nexus! I still want an athasian nightmare beast and a warforged dragon mini! "Look, Meat, I'll tear your face off, rip your throat out and eat what's left-because that's what I do to food like you." ~Thrikreen Intimidation Tactic.
My Custom 4th edition Content (New Content:0)
* My Personal 4e Darksun Material found below: Currently updating.

11- A character can take as many multiclass feats as they desire, provided they are all for the same class.

Is that not the way it works by default?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Yup, that's how it works anyways.

1.  If you missed all targets with a daily power, and it has no 'on a miss' or 'effect' lines, you can spend an action point to regain the daily power.

2.  Intimidate skill can be based off of Strength or Charisma, depending on how you use it.

3.  Extended retraining allowed after a new sourcebook is released.

4.  For every month of game time that passes a PC can retrain once.

5.  A natural 1 is a fumble, and you grant CA until the start of your next turn.

I'll post the number one house rule in my games.

#1 - No one is allowed to drink more alcohol than the DM, during a game.

This allows my groups to relax and enjoy, without getting so smashed that playing the game is impossible.

Oh, yeah. There've been a couple of games where I shoulda used that rule. Players too drunk to realize they were talking to an 'undercover agent' NPC and telling him everything was kinda funny, though.

PtM

Your house-rules suck.

1 - Background benefits are an 'and' equation, not an 'or' one (for the benefit of those wanting to mix standard and FR backgrounds).

2 - All characters with an Intelligence of 13 or higher can start knowing 1 additional language of their choice.

3 - (Not a houserule yet, but if I play Kingdoms of Kalamar or Midnight someday it will be) Common is a trader's tongue, not a complete language, and is only used to communicate if the speakers have no other languages in common.

Long list of banned items, powers, feats and even races and classes. Unless someone is an absolute beginner I prohibit bow rangers. I give my players a choice at the start of the campaign whether they'd prefer to ban orbizards or rule that save penalties don't stack. I also ban bloodclaw, reckless, staff of ruin, iron armbands of powers, bracers of archery, white lotus, draconic spellcaster and gnome illusionist feats, frostcheeze, righteous rage of tempus, both avenger multiclass feats.

A minor one that we use, that has acutally come up a few times now...

If your character gets taken down to 0 (exactly 0 Hit Point), you are unconscious.  You can still make save throws to see if you get a 20 to spend a healing surge (as normal) but you do not make "death saves".  Your not dieing, just KO'd.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing" George Bernard Shaw "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 My Gaming Sites World of Shantryl, a high fantasy homebrew world Darksun, the Lands of Athas

Every player, once per game session gets a re-roll.  You can use it for any roll you just made.   I make the roll out on the table for all to see.  Other players can spend their re-rolls for you if you already used yours.  Other players can spend their re-roll to re-roll the roll I made for you.

With All Due Respect,

Errabal

1) Expertise feats do not exist. Everyone gets +1 to-hit at level 5, +2 at 15, and +3 at 25.

2) Paragon Defenses and Robust Defenses do not exist. Everyone gets +1 all NADs at level 11 and +2 at level 21. These count as feat bonuses.

3) Everyone gets 3 stat boosts (instead of 2) at levels 4, 8, 14, 18, 24, 28.

4) You can make an athletics check while charging to be able to jump and charge.

New one:

5) Reaper's Touch does not have the Shadar-kai prereq.

Came up in our game, we debated on it, and finally said "Who cares what the real rule is, we will go ahead and write this down now" I just transcribed it over. Good to know though.

We really consider the agreed upon solution for any rules debate to be a houserule. We figure if we are unsure about it someone else might be too. Can't hurt to be redundant, and this way if a new player comes to our group from another we can let them know right off the bat.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

1- All Expertise Feats are free, for everything.  They are a bad math fix.  I might do the defenses one too, but I find it a little less important.

2- Everything from Dragon is on a DM approved only basis.  There is a bunch of ridiculous stuff in there imho.

3- All AV/AV2 items are on a DM approved only basis, with the exception of the new non-magical equips (superior weapons and such, the PHB superior 2H weapons were just plain garbage)  Too much broken stuff comes from this book, especially for multi-attackers.

4- You may make athletics checks to jump-charge, or acrobatics to do some parkour type moves.

5- Some minor actions can be done "in the middle of" a move action, like say opening a door and finishing your movement afterwards.

6- The divine power MC Avenger feat is banned.  Period.

7- Doing something awesome is way more important than being allowed to do it RAW.  Of course awesome is subjective =P

8- Straladins can choose to forgo the ability to take mighty challenge to instead apply their str mod instead of charisma (for free).  Baladins will obviously take Mighty Challenge since they get a lot more bang for their buck, but straladins shouldn't be required to take it to be effective.

9- Mighty challenge also adds to DC

10- All those BS feats that add a scaling +1 to hit/damage that stack with expertise (Draconic spellcaster and gnome illusionist?)  There was a reason that expertise was a must-have, don't add more that stack with it!

I'm also considering adding a few bonus, non-retrainable feats throughout heroic.  All of heroic imho is a series of must-haves for 90% of the classes, and everyone seems to take the same things.  An armor upgrade (prof), a weapon upgrade (prof), DIS/WF/TWF.  I haven't quite worked it out yet, but possibly a free feat at levels 3 and 5 that can't be retrained out of heroic feats (so can't make it Paragon defenses or something later).  This would allow for more creative characters, and no particular class would seem to benefit much more than others, except possibly dual wielders since they eat so many feats already.

A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

If you roll a natural one your turn is over. You lose the rest of your actions if you have any left.

If you roll a natural one your turn is over. You lose the rest of your actions if you have any left.

Wow, that rule sucks.

Do you have *any* players who use any area or burst attacks, at all, ever?

so is that with anything?

"I want to make a monster knowledge check as a free action ... 1 ... Well my turn is over."

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

"I want to make a monster knowledge check as a free action ... 1 ... Well my turn is over."

Monster Knowledge is actually "No action."

Either way, you can do it when it is not your turn--bypassing the "roll a 1" penalty.

Monster Knowledge is actually "No action."

Either way, you can do it when it is not your turn--bypassing the "roll a 1" penalty.

Well either way, if it happens to be on your turn, your screwed?

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

No thats with making an attack only. If you do any area affect you roll for all of them but after that you can't do anything else.

1.  If you missed all targets with a daily power, and it has no 'on a miss' or 'effect' lines, you can spend an action point to regain the daily power.

I have to wonder how often this comes up. I'm fairly confidant that almost every daily power either has a miss line, an effect line, or is reliable. There are only a handful of exceptions to this, and I think that even most of them allow for multiple attack rolls...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Still really building them, as I get more experience ...

1. Elites automatically save against any 'save ends' effect on a (natural) 19 or 20.  Solos automatically save against any save ends effect on a (natural) 16 to 20.  This is my nerf for Orblocking wizards.

2. The 'give it brutal or make it more brutal' ability of the Battle Engineer (Artificer PP) does not stack with itself.

3. The 'natural 1 auto-miss' rule does not apply.  If you're facing something you can hit that easily, you deserve to hit it.  Some things, you just can't screw up.  The 'natural 20 auto-hit' rule does not apply.  if you're facing something that much more powerful thank you, you shouldn't be.

4. PCs get a +1 to attack rolls, damage rolls, defenses, and +1d6 damage to critical hits at level 1, increasing by 1 at 6, 11, 16, 21, and 26.  Magic items are rarer in 'the field', but they can make whatever they want.  This counts as an enhancement bonus and does not stack with any magic items found or created.

5. Bloodclaw and Reckless only apply to the weapon that their power is on, and can only be used once per turn.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.