Bad Kid Landfall

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Widely known as, "Boros Bushwhacker," by those that only take tourney results to heart, the Red/White "Landfall" deck is fun but ruthlessly efficient.

By utilizing an extremely low curve and top-class removal, R/W Landfall plays much like a cross between the classic Red Sligh decks of old, burning blockers and swinging in, White Weenie as always (thanks to great utility spells and efficient creatures), and Suicide Black as the deck sacrifices life to make the best use of Fetches, banking on it's ability to deal damage faster than anything else in the meta.

More importantly, by using Ranger of Eos and Kor Skyfisher, the deck can almost instantly bounce back from a sweeper and/or "replay" some of its best cards.  For example, by bouncing a Teetering Peaks with Skyfisher, you get an additional 2 power by playing it again!  This may seem like a tempo loss but by running on, virtually, two mana, the deck can easily afford it!

Bouncing or searching up a Bushwhacker allows the deck surprising speed in a ground race as it can give things like Skyfisher, a 2/3 Flyer for only 2, an additional power and haste if it is kicked.  By playing a Ranger of Eos and grabbing, say, an Elite Vanguard and a Bushwhacker, you are paying 4 mana for the Ranger, 1 White for the Vanguard, and 2 Red to kick out the Goblin and swing for 9! 

On top of the low, but efficient, creature base, R/W Landfall makes full use of the excellent spell selection currently afforded Red and White in the current Standard.  Only two cards need be mentioned to display the power of the deck, Path to Exile and Lightning Bolt, bane of many creatures.  PtE even tackles Baneslayer Angel for a mere White mana. Lightning Bolt can, of course, simply end games, particularly when you are coming out of the gate with Hasted 2/2s like Goblin Guide or solid White Weenies like Elite Vanguard.

Other considerations are Burst Lightning, Magma Spray, Pyroclasm, Harm's Way, Silence, Intimidation Bolt and other, more dedicated removal like Journey to Nowhere and Oblivion Ring.  Each has their place and play testing is recommended to find the best mix for you.

Perhaps part of what makes the deck so enjoyable is no the above efficiency, but the following package:

Steppe Lynx
Plated Geopede

Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Scalding Tarn

Given a single Land drop, both Lynx and Geopede are far beyond the normal curve for creatures of their cost and color...throw in a Fetchland, preferably Mesa but Flats or Tarn will do, and you are suddenly swinging with some very large creatures very, very early in the game.  In addition, due to the large bonus afforded by landfall, and the toughness of creatures like Kor Skyfisher, board sweeps of the damage or toughness based variety (aka, Pyroclasm, Volcanic Fallout, Infest, Marsh Casualties) can often be avoided.  In game two, swinging for "normal" damage in order to "pop" a Fetchland in response to an opponent attempting to sweep the board (or simply having the option to do so and thus dissuading your opponent from trying it) is entirely legitimate.  Remember, while you may not be swinging for maximum damage, disrupting your opponent in any way is always a good thing.

That said, so is swinging for the win.

The "Boros Bushwhacker" build is not for the faint of wallet though, with multiple Goblin Guides, Baneslayers in the Sideboard, and more Fetchlands than Basics, you may have to invest quite the pretty penny.

The 2nd place list from the SSG 5K open in Philadelphia by Christian Calcano:

Creatures
4 Elite Vanguard
2 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
4 Kor Skyfisher
4 Plated Geopede
3 Ranger Of Eos
4 Steppe Lynx

Instants
4 Burst Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path To Exile

Basic Lands
3 Mountain
4 Plains

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Teetering Peaks

Sideboard:
3 Baneslayer Angel
1 Ranger Of Eos
4 Celestial Purge
4 Harm's Way
3 Magma Spray

Versus Jund you have to play around Putrid Leech and most likely want some form of Sweeper in your sideboard.  I personally recommened Pyroclasm as it fits the low curve of the deck far better than Fallout.

Versus Vampires you have a decent matchup thanks to your high-number of removal spells and ability to sideboard in things like Celestial Purge and Magma Spray which, in addition to PtE, remove threats like Nighthawk (Bolt it), Bloodghast (Spray, Purge, Path all stop recursion) and your creatures are generally just plain better.  Thanks to the Eos engine, even if they match your removal card for card, you are most likely going to bounce back swinging.  Tendrils and/or Consume Spirit can be an issue so don't be afraid to shoot your own creatures in response in order to keep their life total down.  Better to 2-1 yourself and keep the race even than let it resolve and be screwed.  It's a tight match but, honestly, you can do it with tight play.  Nocturnus can be removed though Bloodwitch can be an issue, again, don't be afriad to take her down immediately despite whatever cost you may incur.  A kicked Burst Lightning is all it takes, or a Block and a Bolt/Burst.

For control you can usually get some solid threats onto the field and then, thanks to the low cost of your entire deck, draw out counters and start resolving spells.  Remember, board position is your priority.  Also, be calm, you can't stop a Day of Judgement, but you can swing back with Ranger and Co.

More to come, the original post of my own make below:

Despite the 4 Arid Mesa, this is a budget deck.  I am well aware that playing the other fetches in Red and White would make this better and that, for such an aggro list, Terramorphic is bad.

Meanwhile:

4 Steppe Lynx
4 Goblin Bushwacker
4 Plated Geopede
4 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Kor Skyfisher
4 Kor Hookmaster

4 Path to Exile
4 Burst Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Pyroclasm

4 Arid Mesa
4 Terramorphic Expanse
6 Plains
6 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Banefire
4 Magma Spray
4 Silence
4 Celestial Purge

So, aggro, all the way, allow no blockers via Shortcutters/Hookmaster and your various Instant speed Burn spells.  Use Fetches/Morphics to boost Power on the attack, and Toughness on the D (Yes, I have saved a Morphic/Mesa to use on my opponent turn in response to a Clasm/Fallout, etc.).

Also, Pump your Landfallers before Pyroclasm, Skyfisher lives through it and can bounce things like Bushwackers, Cutter, and Hookmaster pre-Clasm, rinse and repeat.

Sideboard hoses control and Vamps, you can out-aggro pretty much anything else so long as you use your removal on an as-needed basis.  AKA, Burst first, Bolt second, Path only what can't be burned.

Note the extreeeeemely low curve that allows me to not immediately pop Morphics/Mesas and to play bounced Perms the same turn.  It's better than it looks, promise.  Then again, no one seems to trust my decks or hunches until after someone "big" wins with it.  *eyeroll*

I will be angering many a scrub with my "bad" deck soon.

Wealth and glory to the victor,
~Rae~

Just wanted to note that the 2nd place deck at the recent SSG event in Phili was the logical, expensive, extension of this deck.

Which got no looks and no replies.

Nice job people.

lol

But seriously, it wrecks face.

So much fun.  I replaced the Clasm's with Harm's Way maindeck a bit ago and they've been golden.  Threw in the Ranger of Eos a few weeks ago as well in place of Hookmasters.

I'd use Guides but they're kind of expensive ATM.  I like Shortcutter more than Vangaurd but see why he made the choice, don't want to run out of Eos targets now would we?

Try it out people, feel the power of a ridiculously low curve.

You have a set of Arid Mesa and Goblin Guide is too expensive for you(?).

It's your deck name.  It's terrible. If you had named the thread "Boros Bushwacker discussion and build"; you would have gotten discussion.

You have a set of Arid Mesa and Goblin Guide is too expensive for you(?).

I draft often and am good enough to win just as often.  I traded my other fetches for them.  I've got a playset of Flats now as well.  The Guide's will be next followed by the Tarns.

It's your deck name.  It's terrible. If you had named the thread "Boros Bushwacker discussion and build"; you would have gotten discussion.

But I made this before that deck made it big and thus it follows my typical naming progression.

Can't change it now anyway, I'll update the OP I guess.  *shrug*

There should be an update to the Tournament Center soon anyway right?

Hmm.

I Luv that deck. its insane. I'd like some SB Helping though ( I dunno what to side-out except for paths for harm's way vs burn ). And yeah goblin guide is going for 5 bucks on cardkingdom atm. Grab ur set quick. Its figure of destiny 2.0

I Luv that deck. its insane. I'd like some SB Helping though ( I dunno what to side-out except for paths for harm's way vs burn ). And yeah goblin guide is going for 5 bucks on cardkingdom atm. Grab ur set quick. Its figure of destiny 2.0

What are you facing?  What's your build?

Just wanted to note that the 2nd place deck at the recent SSG event in Phili was the logical, expensive, extension of this deck.

Which got no looks and no replies.

Nice job people.

lol

But seriously, it wrecks face.

So much fun.  I replaced the Clasm's with Harm's Way maindeck a bit ago and they've been golden.  Threw in the Ranger of Eos a few weeks ago as well in place of Hookmasters.

I'd use Guides but they're kind of expensive ATM.  I like Shortcutter more than Vangaurd but see why he made the choice, don't want to run out of Eos targets now would we?

Try it out people, feel the power of a ridiculously low curve.

What?

Kelly Reid (quiet speculation) was talking about this deck (which he had always called boros bushwhacker...) well before you made this thread, he publicly posted it after testing it for at least a week (with some help from me and a few other people) on October 3rd.

At any rate, my current build of the deck is up in the air, there seems to be quite a variance of personal preference in this deck, which is always good.

Guides are great, and vastly important to the speed of the deck. I grabbed them asap. Grabbing 2 guides off a Ranger >>>> many other choices. Especially late game when you can play them after the ranger as Shocks after the board has been swept.

"Stop *****ing, start brewing" -YoMTGTaps Trying to talk Magic players off ledges since 2001. Sharing my knowledge of rumor history, and how to discuss rumors effectively.

What?

Kelly Reid (quiet speculation) was talking about this deck (which he had always called boros bushwhacker...) well before you made this thread, he publicly posted it after testing it for at least a week (with some help from me and a few other people) on October 3rd.

At any rate, my current build of the deck is up in the air, there seems to be quite a variance of personal preference in this deck, which is always good.

Guides are great, and vastly important to the speed of the deck. I grabbed them asap. Grabbing 2 guides off a Ranger >>>> many other choices. Especially late game when you can play them after the ranger as Shocks after the board has been swept.

The card pool is limited, people make the same, conceptual, decks often.  I posted this several weeks after I actually made it, I did NOT inspire Mr. Reid or anyone else (except perhaps my own playgroup who got wrecked by it) nor did I claim to do so...and that's sort of the problem.  No one said anything when I posted it.

The Guides have been wonderful so far but I still question their presence whenever another card wants in the deck.  *shrug*

Pyroclasm tested well but I think I'll leave it out until I see my meta skew more towards Vamps.  To many Soldiers running Brave the Elements in my area ATM.
Sign In to post comments