Multiplayer Bloodchief Ascension [Deck in Progress]

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

I noticed the card Bloodchief Ascension yesterday and immediately noticed it's potential in multiplayer play.

Ideally, with a number of opponents, you can get the 3 counters on it fairly quickly, then use destruction / mill cards to do massive or lethal damage to your opponents.

The deck would have to be partially black, since the main card is black. I was then figuring it could also have blue elements to prevent me from being killed right away (Counterspell, Propaganda), as well as a number of effective mill cards (Archive Trap) that would immediately deal enough damage to finish an opponent. Red then has spells that can do respectable damage to get counters (Lightning Bolt) as well as cards to cause destruction for damage and to help save me from being the primary target (Volcanic Fallout).

Black itself does have a number of useful cards in both of these categories that are especially useful in multiplayer situations. Syphon Soul for damage to get counters and Syphon Mind for card advantage and damage once ascension has 3 counters.

That said, I am unsure whether it be wiser to do UB, BR, or UBR.

Overall, the deck is going to need a number of things, which I need possible suggestions for.

1. It needs ways to make sure I get Bloodchief Asension out fairly early. If all else fails, Diabolical Tutor is useful.

2. It will need ways to protect the card in question from being destroyed, and stop the other players from killing me before I can kill then. This is what things like Volcanic Fallout, Counterspell, and Propaganda are intended for. Though I'm sure there are more effective potential cards.

3. The deck needs to be able to make sure 2 damage is done to an opponent at least 3 times. This is where Lightning Bolt, Syphon Soul, and a few others.

4. Finally I need to be able to inflict massive damage once Ascension has it's counters. This is where mass destruction cards as well as mill cards will be useful. My favorite being Archive Trap, since it's likely that a player will search, and this would then be a free instant kill to ANY opponent.

---

So I need help... - What colors should I run; what cards would be useful in getting this to run smoothly; etc.

I will start working on a potential deck list.

Thank you.

...Still don't understand how to card tag :\

...Still don't understand how to card tag :\

The new forum doesn't have an autocard feature yet. See this thread for an easy workaround that works on most browsers.

DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel

I'll go over different models of the deck; here's a RB version. This might be good, especially if you can use cards outside of Standard. Here are some cards you might want to consider:

Lightning Bolt: Obviously, this card is ideal. Even though Shock does fine at activating the Ascension, in the event you need to use this as removal, the Bolt is just plain better.

Seal of Fire: Again, this card is clearly ideal. If you don't have a first-turn Ascension, then this first-turn is almost as good, since you can just save it until you do have an Ascension.

Burning Inquiry: Once the Ascension is active, this deals 6 damage to everyone for 1 red. Pretty efficient, and if you have the red Ascension in the deck as well, you can dump spells in the graveyard to (hopefully) activate it.

Wheel of Fate: Although this depends a lot upon cards in hand, this will trigger the Ascension from the discard. The fact that it also refills your hand is just a bonus.

Murderous Redcap: It can trigger Ascension on the first time it comes into play or serve as removal. After that, it can trade with a creature to trigger an activated Ascension and then ping a utility creature or token or something to trigger an activated Ascension again.

The RB approach is basically win big or go home; either you are going to activate an Ascension on turn 2 or 3 and then follow it up with a few Burning Inquiry and a Wheel of Fate, or someone will have the Krosan Grip to take out the enchantment. You gain speed compared to the RBU and BU model, but lack any way to protection the enchantment. In addition, after you have an active Ascension, you can't devastate a player like a RBU or BU model would be able to - you could play Archive Trap, but without the ability to hardcast it you will have to get lucky.

Here's what I would recommend for a BU model.

Muderous Redcap: The hardest thing for this deck to do will be activating the Ascension once it's on the table. Therefore any and all ways to damage opponents directly must be utilized. Although it's likely you'll get a counter or two from opponents damaging eachother, you can't always rely upon it.

Syphon Soul: Since you'll be attracting huge amounts of attention anyway, this can put a counter on the Ascension and hopefully gain you some life to survive the backlash of the Ascension.

Induce Paranoia: Once you have an active Ascension, this can dominate players. It can also protect your Ascension, and if it is known that you're packing these, often players will avoid playing spells at all costs if you have four mana open and an active Ascension, because the damage can be considerable. However, the bane of this kind of strategy is and always will be uncounterables like Krosan Grip.

Glimpse the Unthinkable: If you have an active Ascension, this deals 20 to target player. Pretty effective for 2 mana.

Mind Funeral: Although this won't always be fatal when combined with an active Ascension, it usually will be. If you can't get your hands on 4x Glimpse the Unthinkable, I would recommend this in its place.

I'm sure there are other cards useful in these kinds of decks; the biggest vulnerability of the BU model will be actually getting the Ascension active once it is on the field. You can pack 8-12 counterspells to protect the Ascension, but that won't help if you can't activate it. That's why I recommend the RBU model; the manabase will be less stable, but it has the stregnths of both other models. Something like this would suffice:

Land:
4x Crumbling Necropolis
4x Scalding Tarn (if possible. If not, replace with any variety of RU dual or just 2 Island and 2 Mountain)
5x Swamp
4x Mountain
3x Island
2x Any RB dual
2x Any BU dual

24 Land

Creatures:
4x Murderous Redcap
4x Vampire Lacerator
4x Goblin Guide

12 Creatures

Noncreature Spells:
4x Bloodchief Ascension
4x Seal of Fire
4x Archive Trap
4x Induce Paranoia
4x Glimpse the Unthinkable

24 Noncreature Spells

60 Cards

Here are some more cards that you might find interesting enough to include.
*Ankh of Mishra* has the potential to activate your ascension in one turn.  Either that or they will hold off on playing lands which is also great for you.
Anvil of Bogardan helps you filter through cards and constantly triggers the ascension.
Blightning is both effective while adding counters and afterwards with the forced discard.
Megrim is capable of activating the ascension and works especially well with the earlier noted anvil of bogardan.Pox is so deadly with the ascension it almost feels like cheating.  It sends multiple cards to the graveyard, causes each player to lose life, and doesn't touch any of your artifacts or enchantments.  The problem though is its BBB cost.
Pyrite Spellbomb is not something I'd normally suggest but is an alternative to seal of fire.
Syphon Mind goes well with the deck as it puts cards into their graveyard and helps you draw into other spells.
Wall of Souls is absolutely beautiful for this deck.  Your opponents' will most likely attack the moment bloodchief ascension comes into play and a solid wall is necessary to keep you alive.  Wall of souls can be your rattlesnake and will aid in adding counters if they do decide to attack.
Zo-Zu the Punisher is like ankh but can also attack for 2 damage on your turn.  He suffers from being a creature and the double red in his mana cost.
I'm also a fan of including Syphon Soul and Volcanic Fallout as they will help keep you while your opponents focus on you.  Cave-In is an alternative to volcanic for times of dire need or if you just want to activate the ascension that much quicker.

I like U/B for the fact that you can put Lore Brokers in.  At first they seem to help everyone (card quality) but they also serve to ping everyone.

Psychic Drain becomes a nice Consume Spirt (Finisher + Life Cushion).

Glimpse the Unthinkable = 20 damage + 20 life for 2 mana.  Not too shabby.

And then the rest is basically just mono-black control.  Have fun!

I don't know why but this deck is really starting to frustrate me.  Everyone seems focused on including cards that don't fill a role unless the ascension is out and activated.  Archive TrapGlimpse the UnthinkableInduce ParanoiaMind Funeral, and Psychic Drain are all amazing single target mill cards but that is it.  They don't help in activation, are worthless by themselves if it isn't a mill themed deck, and can possibly gain you 20 life under ideal circumstances.  A multiplayer environment can easily crush a defenseless person for well over that much life and will do so the second the ascension sees play.  Hell, this current deck might win once or twice the first time it sees play against an unsuspecting group but that is it.
Another point I'd like to bring up is that all of these spells are single target.  Multiplayer is about getting the biggest bang for your buck and most of these suggestions don't touch that aspect.  Memory Jar destroys all of the listed cards I previously listed in both power and benefit.- - -PS: Multiplayer burn will absolutely unload and sacrifice everything upon this deck the moment bloodchief ascension hits play.  Not really a major issue but the types of decks this one will produce an abnormally high amount of threat against should probably be taken into consideration.

Try black and blue (parasitic strix, underworld dreams, howling mine, hideous end, sign in blood)

I just built a deck around that with nemisis of reason, time warp, mind funeral, Vess, and hedron crab.

My sideboard has counter stuff in it for when I play black or a counter deck.

Perfect Storm = round 1 Bloodchief ascension, round 2 howling mine, round 3 underworld dreams round 4 parasitic strix + 2nd bloodchief ascension, round 5 [Blood Chief activated] mind funeral + howling mine, round 6 (should be dead but if not)[second bloodchief activated] hedron crab (lay land) +traumatize GAME!

And if you want a creature on the board faster

Bloodchief->sign in blood->parasitic strix ->parasitic strix->mindfuneral(does a minimum of 8pts)

I don't know why but this deck is really starting to frustrate me.  Everyone seems focused on including cards that don't fill a role unless the ascension is out and activated.  Archive TrapGlimpse the UnthinkableInduce ParanoiaMind Funeral, and Psychic Drain are all amazing single target mill cards but that is it.  They don't help in activation, are worthless by themselves if it isn't a mill themed deck, and can possibly gain you 20 life under ideal circumstances.  A multiplayer environment can easily crush a defenseless person for well over that much life and will do so the second the ascension sees play.  Hell, this current deck might win once or twice the first time it sees play against an unsuspecting group but that is it.
Another point I'd like to bring up is that all of these spells are single target.  Multiplayer is about getting the biggest bang for your buck and most of these suggestions don't touch that aspect.  Memory Jar destroys all of the listed cards I previously listed in both power and benefit.- - -PS: Multiplayer burn will absolutely unload and sacrifice everything upon this deck the moment bloodchief ascension hits play.  Not really a major issue but the types of decks this one will produce an abnormally high amount of threat against should probably be taken into consideration.

While I agree with you, I think that some pieces of this can be used.  Much like multiplayer burn does use X spells from time to time, I think this deck could come alive once the Assention hits play.

But, that doesn't mean you can't use traditional black multiplayer cards.  Syphon Soul does both, helps out you without the Ascention and helps you activate it.

Build a normal traditional black controllish multiplayer deck, but include a few Over-the-Top mill cards just for fun and for win.  Think of them as finishers.  You don't need all of them, just a few.

Megrim fits the theme and makes it so single-target discard puts a quest counter on the ascention. Then, if you have both in play, opponent loses 4 life whenever they discard a card.

Memory Jar is obviously insane as well.

You might also want to consider such cards like Bottomless Pit, Cunning Lethemancer, Necrogen Mists and Gibbering Descent.

If you want to dip into red, Burning Inquiry is pretty nuts as well, along with Wheel of Fortune.

If you want to dip into blue, use Windfall.

Edit: If you go the Gibbering Descent route (using it's hellbent) then you can play Infernal Darkness. (You skip your upkeep so you never have to pay the cumulative upkeep costs) In that way it can protect itself (As black has no way to deal with enchantments by itself) and to protect yourself you can use Glacial Chasm or something. Just make sure you have a discard outlet!

What about Spellshock / Soul Barrier to help put quest counters the Ascension, and them Mesmeric Orb to ensure activations once you have the combo?

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Collapsing Borders anyone?

I'm working on putting this together and have chosen to go the BU route for it's ability to go through massive amounts of cards for either Bloodchief Ascension, Megrim, and/or Underworld Dreams.  Red is nice in activation but I feel it suffers greatly in the time afterwards.  UBR is very tempting for Phyrexian Tyranny but trying to secure a solid mana pool for that seems impractical.  The deck list below is the one I will be testing out and further down will contain card pools for each color.

This current build tries to activate the pieces early while whittling away at your opponents' life totals.  Once the ascension is up and running, a single one of your draw spells should be enough to either end or extremely cripple everyone else.  I'll probably add more information regarding different aspects of the deck after testing and will describe how I feel about the individual pieces below.

Hey! This is actually the main deck Iim working on. I mostly went for a pure mill with bloodchief as a win condition. I already realize a problem in summoning defensive creatures early as well as not having a real answer to a beatdown deck. But, anyways... here you go.. I hope its half decent Oh I forgot, it's UB. Blue and black

Lands

10 x Swamp
11 x Island

Total Land count: 21

Creatures

4 x Hedron Crab
3 x Sage Owl
2 x Parasitic Strix
2 x Lich Lord of Unx
3 x Belltower Sphinx
3 x Nemesis of Reason

Enchantments

2 x Bloodchief Ascension
2 x Memory Erosion

Planeswalkers

1 x Jace Beleren
1 x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sorceries

2 x Memory Sluice
2 x Glimpse the Unthinkable
2 x Psychic Drain
2 x Mind Funeral
2 x Traumatize

Instants

2 x Counterspell
2 x Countersquall
2 x Hideous End

Total card count: 60

I've begun to realize the inefficiency in the Psychic Drains. They really take up a card slot because i mean my deck to be slightly on the aggressive side to force opponents to make a false move either attacking or drawing out their spells and countering them. I also thought Lich Lord of Unx would provide me flexibility in handless scenarios, but it isn't proving to be that way so far.
Anyway, i would like some feedback on my main deck. Please tell me what things i'm doing right and wrong. Thanks.
Is there any room for Sanguine Bond? You're gaining life from Bloodchief Ascension while dealing damage and the life you gain from that will trigger SB to deal more damage. I think I prefer the milling route, somewhat simpler and you can but cheap cards like Tome Scour, Glimpse the Unthinkable, and Mind Funeral in. Once Bloodchief is up and running you should be able to kill someone quickly. Maybe even throw in Oona, Queen of the Fae to mill and make tokens
You might wanna think about swapping out the counterspells for Undermine instead. A counterspell and lightning boly all rolled into one. Or if you liked the Sanguine Bond idea you could put Absorb in instead to counter the spell and gain three life whie SB deals three damage if you want to use Esper colors. If your play group searches for cards often think about Archive Trap, it's free to play if the person searches their library, an easy way to mill thirteen cards. And using Esper colors you can throw in Path to Exile as a removal card; when they search for their land BAM throw down Archive Trap. Kind of a one-trick pony though since they may fall for it once but be afraid to search again afterwards which still works since you'll have an incredibly cheap exile spell with no downside to it. And as said before Wall of Souls is amazing, and again, if using Esper colors Souls of the Faultless is equalling amazing dealing damage to the player and gaining an equal amount. Want to go the straight defense route while putting it all together? Also throw in Wall of Denial a 0/8 flying shroud wall for air defense.
A lot of the decks posted have been kind of slower, controllish/combo-y decks. That's not the only way to play the card though. You could also try aggressive builds.

Land (24)
4x Dakmor Salvage
20x Swamp

Spells (28)
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Demonic Consultation
1x Vampiric Tutor
4x Bloodchief Ascension
4x Desolation
4x Ankh of Mishra
4x Smallpox
4x Pox
4x Unearth
1x Animate Dead

Creatures (8)
4x Maralen of the Mornsong
4x Zo-Zu the Punisher

You can lock people at a super low land count then force them to eat damage from Ankh effects when they try and play more. It's pretty suicidal but it's a lot of fun :P. You can also play a deck with more creatures, more revival, maybe Strongarm Tactics and Kaervek the Merciless and just revive MEAN creatures like him and Blood Tyrant. You can also use more discard like Delirium Skeins and then play cards like Lavaborn Muse, Hellfire Mongrel, Rackling, Wheel of Torture, maybe Nihilith, etc.

My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
This is the build I'm thinking about mostly because these are the cards I currently have the most of.

Wall of Souls x4
Souls of the Faultless x4
Nemesis of Reason x3

Bloodchief Ascension x4
Ankh of Mishra x4
Absorb x3 or Punish Ignorance x3
Undermine x4 Or Punish Ignorance x4
Sanguine Bond x2
Glimpse the Unthinkable x4 or Mind Funeral x4 or Memory Erosion x4
Path to Exile x4
Archive Trap x4

Arcane Sanctum x4
Swamp x5
Leechridden Swamp x2
Tainted Isle x4
Plains x4
Terramorphic Expanse x1

The walls are there to deal damage and gain me life.
Nemesis can send ten cards to the graveyard when he attacks.

Ankh of Mishra as said before will do damage to anyone who drop a land so if Bloodchief is in your opening hand you're guaranteed to have your counters.

Absorb and Undermine are counterspells to help send cards to the graveyard while protecting myself or my creatures and gaining me life and having my opponent lose life. Important for when people realize they'll die soon and start spell bombing you.
Punish Ignorance is a combination of the two counter spells but you need to keep four lands open.

Sanguine Bond I only included two but when I gain life I can have an opponent lose life.Combo's well with Bloodchief Ascension.

Memory Erosion is a continuous mill for six damage and I gain six life each players turn which is good in case I don't draw the other mill cards and if two or more are dropped then the effect is amplified.
Glimpse the Unthinkable is a guaranteed ten cards but unfortunately I don't have any yet.
Mind Funeral will send anywhere from four to maybe ten cards to the graveyard.

Path to Exile is a cheap way of getting rid of an attacking creature and when they search for a
land you drop Archive trap for free to send thirteen cards to the graveyard. or you can hard cast it if you have no choice.

The biggest concern is getting Bloodchief Ascension set up and your opponents might decide to gang up on you instead of each other. If the Walls are up noone will attack unless they have flying. Leechridden Swamp can take life but not deal damage.The counter spells are the same.

You might wanna think about swapping out the counterspells for Undermine instead. A counterspell and lightning boly all rolled into one. Or if you liked the Sanguine Bond idea you could put Absorb in instead to counter the spell and gain three life whie SB deals three damage if you want to use Esper colors. If your play group searches for cards often think about Archive Trap, it's free to play if the person searches their library, an easy way to mill thirteen cards. And using Esper colors you can throw in Path to Exile as a removal card; when they search for their land BAM throw down Archive Trap. Kind of a one-trick pony though since they may fall for it once but be afraid to search again afterwards which still works since you'll have an incredibly cheap exile spell with no downside to it. And as said before Wall of Souls is amazing, and again, if using Esper colors Souls of the Faultless is equalling amazing dealing damage to the player and gaining an equal amount. Want to go the straight defense route while putting it all together? Also throw in Wall of Denial a 0/8 flying shroud wall for air defense.

I was using esper colors when my deck was first built, but it didn't have any semblance of a library killer. I'm trying to see if i can make this blue black deck work... and i only have 1 undermine. I guess i could try it on a rainy day but my mana count is pretty low, so my countersqualls and counterspells are serving ok for right now. BTW, i'm saving my wall of denials for a UW deck.... i have some good cards in mind, but nevermind. Also, because my play group is real fickle and will gang up on the person who is in the apparent lead, i built my deck to be aggressive, yet with elements of control. That why i don't have archive trap, even though it not a bad card.
Take another crack at it:

Anvil of Bogardan x4-draw two cards a turn and discard one. sets off Bloodchief Ascension if Underworld dreams is out and player takes two damage
Memory Jar x4-draw seven cards dealing seven damage if Underworld Dreams is out.Discards 5-7 cards(anything not played that turn) to activate Bloodchief Ascension
Underworld Dreams x4-draw and take one damage for each card
Bloodchief Ascension x4
Wheel of Fortune x4- discard and then draw

Possibles but expensive:
Forced Fruition or Memory Erosion
Maybe I'm kicking a dead horse but...Zur's Weirding? Pay 2 life to make them discard their draw getting you 2 life and they'll lose 2 life. You can control the board preventing anyone from drawing a card and they'll eventually die from the discarding
With all this BU I'm surprised no one has added Creeping Tar Pit. I mean, I like unblockable damage. I also did this but with a zombie theme. Lich Lord of Unx, which handles discard & life loss as well as chump blocking via tokens, and Infectious Horror, which I'm not sure if it would count once for each opponent or not, is still viable. A few Death Baron for ridiculous zombies. Throw in some Mind Funeral, Twincast, which is awesome in any multi-player game for it's versatility IMO, and Tome Scour and you can kinda see where it's going. A few counter-spells Negate and such for removal (I like Into the Roil as a last resort to save my ascension). You can flush it out from there, but the build so far is Standard Constructed.
Sign In to post comments