Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks - October, 2009

128 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of October, 2009.

what's up with the singleton shizo?

edit: no one? come on guys, i'm confused!

what's up with the singleton shizo?

edit: no one? come on guys, i'm confused!

Seems like it must be a mistake, either in deck construction or in the coverage.

All eight decks in that Top 8 had a single copy of Shizo, Death's Storehouse, but DeRosa's is the only one that has no other sources of black mana.

Oh, of course...  It's Legendary!  He's playing it simply as a way to remove his opponent's Shizo!

lol that's funny if you're right. was shizo that powerful?

It's great seeing KCI in Daily Decks. A few years ago I few that deck into a top8 at a JSS tournament and won this crazy promo Royal Assassin for it, along with a box of Champains right when it came out. I pulled a foil Cranial Extraction, and couldn't have been happier. Good times

The biggest surprise was how good the oneMind Sludge was; it was constantly catching people by surprise and taking them completely out of the game

The other copy must have been even better!

I want those Ravnica magnets so bad.  All 10 of them, if the Dissension ones were ever done.  Anyone know where they might be to be had?

I also wouldn't mind some word-poetry kits for Magic terms, though that'd be more of a vanity.  And I'd prefer it didn't include slang terms like "smack" or "mize"; making one out of the most necessary game terms would be more than sufficient.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

So, Matt's gunslinging deck had 4 x Lotu$ Cobra, 4 x Bane$layer Angel and 8 fetchlands? 27 rares and 15 mythic rares? I bet it was "fun" to play against this in L.A.!

Couldn't agree with Beelzubob more...

Seriously, Matt's gunslinging deck is just wrong... Was it possible to lose a game? I'm not against showcasing a new sets features, but that is taking the mickey a bit. Can the power level not be made apparent by simply seeing the acceleration in a 'normal' power level deck.

I'll see how much that decklist goes for in stores, just for a laugh.

(edit) - spelling mistake

MTG Rules Advisor / Addict

You know what's really annoying? Seeing something neat like the magnetic poetry magnets previewed in the picture, only to see in the article that they're something old that most people will have no chance of finding. This is stuff I'd like to see in the "this week in Magic" column, instead of endless recitations of pro events.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

So, Matt's gunslinging deck had 4 x Lotu$ Cobra, 4 x Bane$layer Angel and 8 fetchlands? 27 rares and 15 mythic rares? I bet it was "fun" to play against this in L.A.!

That was my reaction as well.  When they find that the decks they want to build are wall-to-wall Mythics and Rares, maybe they should try to reconsider the rarity of some of the cards they print?

That said, part of the point of this deck was playing expensive, showy legends.  Iona and Ob Nixilis are reasonable Mythics.  The fetchlands are annoying, but at this point we're more or less reconciled to such things being Rare (ugh).  Lotus Cobra, though?  What were they thinking?

Incidentally, I don't think I've posted this elsewhere, so I'll mention this here.  I'm a Limited and casual constructed player.  Like everyone else, the sets I like opening packs from most are those that offer the maximum number of cards that I need for decks.  In the case of many Constructed players, they need only four copies at most of any given card, so the way for them to still "need" any cards at all from a set are to make those cards very scarce - Mythic Rares.

However, I tend to try to try to have a bunch of decks built at a time (much more fun in casual).  Therefore, I want more than four copies of the good utility cards in a set.  On the other hand, because I don't play the same deck over and over, I'm not prepared to spend a bunch of money for the contents of a single deck (the most expensive single I ever purchased was $7).  What this means is that I'm a lot more interested in spending money on a set where the good utility cards are Uncommons (or possibly Rares) than a set where those cards are Mythic.

Mindbreak Trap really bugs me; I wish I had some, I'd put them into multiple decks - but I'm not going to buy packs hoping to open one, nor am I going to pay the ridiculous singles price.  It should be a Uncommon, or maybe a - Rare.

Anyway, I just wanted to address what may be Wizards' view that their customer base is willing to pay a lot to acquire exactly four copies of the best cards, but will buy nothing after that.  I don't place much special emphasis on exactly four copies, but if purchasing a reasonable quantity of a set aids me in building many decks,  I will desire a greater quantity of that set.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

The deck was played at a PreRelease, presumably to help drum up interest in the new set.  The only way it makes sense to showcase a deck for that purpose with 17 Mythic Rares, 23 "chase" Rares, and at least 4 "chase" uncommon cards is if you assume some combination of tournament players (who demonstrably will spend what it takes), and players who are already committed (financially and otherwise) to the game ...

... but in that case, what's the point?  There's almost nothing you can do that will make those players leave, and almost nothing you can do to get them to spend more money on your product than they already do - their financial limitations aren't driven by interest/coolness or lack thereof.

I believe - although Wizards clearly does not, and I assume they have data to back it up - that this has a negative effect on the more casual players.  For example, if I'm playing kitchen table Magic and see that deck, and think it's cool enough to bring to my game, I'm going to be pretty disappointed when I discover how much money I'd have to spend to get even one of those cards, much less any sizeable chunk of the deck.  So I'll stick it out and I'll agree to buy a box or two with friends, and we open all the packs ... and discover that we got one Iona and four fetchlands in our entire purchase.

At this point, I do the math and realize this is a fool's game, and Settlers of Catan/Titan/Dominion is so much cheaper.  Even if I don't quit the game, I'm going to be much less likely to go to Prereleases and purchase boxes; my kitchen game will continue to be fun with my existing card set.

As a more experienced player, I look at that deck and my first thought is "Gee, who'd have thought that the most powerful cards from the last few sets put together would be good, much less using a coherent strategy in the hands of an elite player?  Somebody call Mark Rosewater!".

But hey, I know now that if I go to a Prerelease, I should stay the hell away from the gunslinging tables ... and I'm a little less likely to go to a Prerelease (to be fair, I probably wasn't going to in the near future anyway).  So, mission accomplished?

You know what's really annoying? Seeing something neat like the magnetic poetry magnets previewed in the picture, only to see in the article that they're something old that most people will have no chance of finding. This is stuff I'd like to see in the "this week in Magic" column, instead of endless recitations of pro events.

+100.

As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

i am hoping we see blue/red chandra at some point. the goggles, the card draw ability in the middle, the reusing of instants and sorceries, all of this feels kinda izzet to me. i know ablaze's abilities are all solidly in red's color pie, but the card and character feel a bit izzet to me. of course, there's an entire novel i haven't read because i haven't seen it on sale anywhere so probably a ton of people know a lot more about chandra than i do.

Chandra's pretty cute in her original painting; in Ablaze, not so much. >_>

the art is generally superior in the original.

Well she's not the kind of woman who cares if she looks cute or not. ^_^

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Well she's not the kind of woman who cares if she looks cute or not. ^_^

you know i've never really thought about it but she is unusual in that she is female and on a magic card and yet her clothing isn't very revealing and appears to be sensible and functional. so i think you're probably right.

So Aaron Forsythe's deck seems to be just another example of "Strategy + Lotus Cobra = Better Strategy."

Is there a way to download the iPhone Roil Elemental wallpaper? Because the link is broken. A week passed and no one fixed this.

I never noticed until today that Iona is a LOT bigger than our average angels. Not only I didn't take note of the shape of the floating ruins (because they aren't just debris, they're broken arcs and pillars), I didn't see an explorer hanging on the slab of rock there being dwarfed in size by the angry angel....

So Aaron Forsythe's deck seems to be just another example of "Strategy + Lotus Cobra = Better Strategy."

Yeah if you thought yesterday's deck was a slap in the face...

The Director of Magic, the guy who has total control over rarities, plays a deck with 4 Lotus Cobra when gunslinging.  That alone I could overlook, but then in his own words:

This deck left players with two impressions: one, Lotus Cobra was as sick as they imagined; and two, Allies were way sicker than they imagined.

So the point was to take the most-hyped card of the set and demonstrate how powerful a utility it really is.  And that's no accident.  At this point he already knew how many objections the card would have.  This is just insulting.

I just decided that I won't be opening any packs of Zendikar (no draft/sealed), nor will I encourage them to be opened (by purchasing rares/mythics for constructed.)  I'll buy some commons and maybe uncommons, and that's it.  It actually isn't that bad of a loss since I've already decided the linear-but-explosive sorcery-speed effects aren't that interesting anyway.  But I was going to give things a shot, as I do enjoy drafting.

I'm just one person who will go unnoticed, and I expect that.  But I can't very well complain about their practices and then buy 3 boxes.

On a positive note, I did think that showing Gunslinging decks this week was a nice idea.  I enjoy seeing which aspects the various developers want to show off.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I do like looking at the gunslinger decks.  It's going to be interesting to see what pops up in standard that the developers didn't anticipate.

I play only limited so I'm actually happy that there are a few high value rares in the format.  I sort of think of Lotus Cobra as a grizzly bear that can be traded for a free draft.  Remember when sometimes you would open your Coke and under the cap it would say "have a free Coke"?  That was exciting!

I also want to point out that the deck with Baneslayer Angel, Lotus Cobra, a million fetch lands, and a few Doom Blades is a rock deck in the truest sense of the word.  And rock decks are characterized by having an OK matchup against everything.  The way to win tournaments is not to play rock (usually) but rather it's to be clever and make good metagame choices which in all likelihood will mean playing something that does not require 8 mythic rares.

it seems silly to be running so many off color fetchlands just for the singleton linx. is it really worth it? i guess the life loss doesn't matter enough to make them worse than mountains in this deck.

cerdon's no longer there. Gheck out updated version at Quietspeculation.com

my thoughts on Bushwacker Aggro
That deck reminds me a lot of the deck I designed and am currently running... but mine is mono-red.

IPR (Idiot-Proof Red)

LANDS 21 4 Arid Mesa 9 Mountain 4 Scalding Tarn 4 Teetering Peaks
SPELLS 20 4 Burst Lightning    R or 4R 4 Dragon Fodder    1R 2 Fireball    XR 4 Lighting Bolt    R 4 Trumpet Blast    2R    (the low-calorie Overrun) 2 Zektar Shrine Expedition    1R
CREATURES 19 3 Ball Lightning    RRR 4 Goblin Chieftain    1RR 4 Goblin Guide    R 4 Hellspark Elemental    1R 4 Jackal Familiar    R
A friend of mine said my deck looked "lose" and needed to be tuned.Hhowever in my experience, it's ability to win in as little as 4 turns makes it a force.I am still tinkering with the sideboard, since the format is still in it's infancy however.This is where it is, so far:
3 Dragon's Claw    2    (sideboard option for the mirror match) 2 Earthquake    XR    (sideboard versus soldiers... it's that hard of a match-up) 3 Goblin Assault    2R    (sideboard option versus control) 3 Ignite Disorder    1R    (sideboard option versus soldiers... the hardest match-up) 4 Magma Spray    R    (sideboard versus vampires to take out Bloodghast PERMANENTLY)

I am normally lurking around this Magic: the Gathering Facebook group, or you can message me here for sure: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=618983890...
Don't be surprised if you start seeing this at tournaments....
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

it seems silly to be running so many off color fetchlands just for the singleton linx. is it really worth it? i guess the life loss doesn't matter enough to make them worse than mountains in this deck.

Pulling lands out of your deck also increases the probability that you'll draw spells, which is important in an aggro deck that wants to end the game quickly.

The posted list is an older and (much) worse version of this list, which was 2nd at the Star City 5k this weekend:

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/di...

All the fetchlands make sense when youre playing 4 Steppe Lynx (the best 1 drop in this list), and 4 Geopede (the best 2 drop in this list).    Cerodon Yearling is pretty bad in comparison.

The deck is a very fast and resilient aggro deck, and uses Ranger of Eos to grab Bushwhacker, to create a ton of haste damage to recover from a board sweeper effect.  

This version of the deck is very strong. 

Been running a budget version of my own design for quite some time.

And no one bloody noticed, as usual.

"Silly Raedien, you can't win with such a low curve, Zendikar is a slooow set," they said.

Fie, fie on you all!

LOL, a slow set doesn't make a slow environment and people need to remember that.... Magic 2010 is supposedly slow in draft, and some have said the same about Zendikar... and Shards block for that matter! However, I have learned that if you look at blocks to figure out standard... you are an idiot. You look at the big picture... are there enough bits and pieces floating around to make whatever kind of deck you want work? Kudos to you for knowing that.

Example... a death-touch deck a few months ago would have been far too slow... now... Deadly Recluse, Vampire Nighthawk, Pestilence Kathari (which occasionally can kill a Baneslayer), Giant Scorpion, and Quest For the Gravelord are all legal... when you play with deathtouch, and low mana curves... 5/5s run like water! In any of those limited formats where those cards are from, Deathtouch wouldn't have been a full deck option... however, a little from column a, a little from column b.... and voila! You have a decent curve (with appropriate and effective creature kill) you have a dangerous deck.
DEAD LIKE ME: LIFE AFTER DECK (budget version)

LANDS 224 Savage Lands (budget enemy color tap land, bonus of making Pestilence Kathari a first strike creature)
2 Terramorphic Expanse (budget fetch)
12 Swamp4 Forest

CREATURES 20
4 Vampire Nighthawk    1BB
4 Giant Scorpion    2B
4 Pestilence Kathari    2B
4 Deadly Recluse    1G
2 Grazing Gladehart    2G
2 Acidic Slime    3GG
SPELLS 204 Quest For the Gravelord    B4 Sign In Blood    BB4 Disfigure    B
2 Soul Stair Expedition    B
2 Hideous End    1BB2 Rampant Growth    1G2 Naturalize    1G
Obviously this is a deck that greatly benefits from non-budget cards like Maelstrom Pulse, Verdant Catacombs, and Lotus Cobra. It can also strengthen the mana base into something more "Jund" by adding playsets of Rootbound Crag and Dragonskull Sumitt to strengthen red as a maindeck or sideboard choice (how awesome is it to play Violent Ultimatum main deck?) HOWEVER it is playable in budget zero-rare count form... which is awesome!
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

I like Chandra's new art better.  "In your face attitude" is a cliche, but she pulls it off magnificently.  And the card is less obvious and more interesting; all told, this was a splendid change, even if it is a bit sad to still only have one person who is a mono-red planeswalker.  (I'm very sad that the Multiverse page on the Wizards site hasn't been updated with the new Chandra; both Ajanis are there, as are the two new pws of ZEN, but Chandra still has her original pic and her very short blurb.  Having not read her novel, I'd love to see a new page added for her with at least a quick synopsis of what she's doing on Zendikar, why the flavor text of Inferno Elemental has her mentioning a monastery, whether she has ever met Sarkhan before, etc.

Re: Daily deck Crypt Control

Consume Spirit his opponent's WHAT to death???

It's a shame I'm not published:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's a shame I'm not published:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

QFT.  Niche had that list a month ago on our team forums...posts it here, and "OMG look how smart the TCG guy is!"  Plagiarism FTW.

Don't flatter yourself. The TCGPlayer list is better and more refined than yours. I made the TCG player list over a month ago as well, but my version is streamlined. I never saw your list since I don't use this forum ever, I did all the work on it on Team Rev.

Regardless, to an admin, the deck is labeled as John Treviranus Crypt Control when in his article he says that I, Collin La Fleur, am the creator of the deck. If you wouldn't mind changing that, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Actual deck name: Agadeeeem!

Being that I'm the actual creator of that TCG article, I feel like calling me a plagiarist is maybe a little unfair?  I got my sources on the deck from the above poster, and cited him in my article as such.  Thanks!

The drama starts here!

The drama!

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Potential Negator with new art? Want sooo bad.

I think the idea of duel decks is a good one. However, I don't like that each new duel deck has its own expansion symbol. When new expansion symbols are used it is harder to keep track of where cards come from.

I think Wizards should use one expansion symbol for all of the cards that come in duel decks so that beginners can identify cards that come from duel decks as (mostly) not being legal in Standard. It could be something as simple as a (D D) symbol, or it could show two jets of mana "clashing" to imply dueling.

Something tells me they are going too **** up Dominaria vs Phyrexia.

298_xo40r0rs97.jpg

Well.  That was unexpected.

This could either turn out very cool, or make me want to curl up and die.  Let's hope for #1.  :P

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Sign In to post comments