New D&D Site is live

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

The new D&D web site went live 20 minutes ago. Obviously, I'm biased, but I think it is really awesome.

www.dndinsider.com

You may now proceed with the praising/flaming.

Senior Technical Producer, Customer Engagement Systems.

Very nice from what I'm seeing so far!

The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!

I approve, so far.

Edit: Erm, I can't seem to be able to log out of my WotC account that doesn't have DDI so I can sign in under the one that does...

I'm sure there'll be kinks to work out, but this is loooooong overdue, and looks great.  I remember reading an article a year ago about the poor quality of the D&D site, and it was irreputable.  New is definitely better, keep up the good work.

EDIT: I've clicked everywhere now, and the verdict is: FANTASTIC job, can't imagine a better overhaul.  I've yet to find something annoying about it, and I love the use of art and other cool stuff.  Thanks a million!

Seems to be a bit faster than before too. I like it!

I am enjoying the new navigation scheme. Overall, this is an excelent change so far. I'm sure someone will nay-say it, but I like it. Underpromised and overdelivered... mainly because I didn't know you were going to do this, lol.

I approve, so far.

Edit: Erm, I can't seem to be able to log out of my WotC account that doesn't have DDI so I can sign in under the one that does...

I had the same problem. I was able to get it logged out if I logged off of the non-DDi account on the forums first and then tried logging out on the DDi site. I had a similar problem when the new forums went live in that I couldn't log out of the DDi account on the forums because I was still logged on to it on the DDi site.

Nothing.

That is all.

Any chance of seeing a return of Sage Advice/D&D Q&A? I think that added great appeal to the (much) older site, giving a reason for casual players to check frequently.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata

I've only taken a quick look at it, but I can't say it particularly impresses me. Maybe I'm just becoming a grognard, although I thought I was far too young to reach that stage.

My cookies automatically log me in.  Finally.

That alone, deserves a

I'm undecided on the rest, but after a quick glance I think it looks pretty good.  Everything I'm used to seems to still be there, just shuffled around some.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I'm undecided on the rest, but after a quick glance I think it looks pretty good.  Everything I'm used to seems to still be there, just shuffled around some.

So long as you're a subscriber anyway. I think sticking the art galleries into DDi is a mistake PRwise. The new version is slower for me too, and that's saying something considering how painful the old one was.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.

Overall, I think the new site looks nice It's a chance to get used to, but it isn't bad

A couple bugs though:
* RSS links are broken (how I first realized there was a new site).
* Also you can't view the gallery images without a D&DI account now (before you could look at them, just couldn't download the zip). If this is new policy, then the release calendar (which is nicely placed) shouldn't list the art galleries as "free".

Also, I'm super pleased to see that the website doesn't require a 1200-pixel resolution. Now can you just fix the forums to match? ;)

The new site is made of win!

It would be nice if they had an alternate - at least for the forums - that was more phone friendly.

Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"

Ok stupid question, but how do you get to the table of contents for Dragon and Dungeon now? I found a convuluted way to do it earlier, but there has to be an obvious link someplace right?

It would be nice if they had an alternate - at least for the forums - that was more phone friendly.

This.

I've lost track of the number of times I've made this request to WotC over the past couple years. In case they need more reasons, smartphone sales will outpace PC sales by 2011. www.macworld.com/article/142597/2009/09/... It's about time web sites started paying attention to this market.

As for the new site, so far, I prefer the previous design. I like sidebar navigation on web sites (except in mobile view.) Now it's a bit strange, but it's still new and shiny so I'll give it some time to get used to.

I really wish this forum would get fixed up though. I need mobile-friendly navigation, and I desperately want forum subscriptions back. It's getting increasingly hard to read the forums without them.

Long Live the Lance! Give us 4e DL!

Praising it looks pretty.

Flaming it's a real pain to navigate to the issue archive for Dragon and Dungeon

Scroll down to the DnD Insider Toolbox, click the Dragon Magazine link.

Then it takes you here www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new...

which still doesn't have a link to the archive, just a useless Dragon Magazine link at the side that takes you back to the same page (the issue archive and current issue links should have been there).  You have to go View Current Issue (not in the most obvious place) to eventually find a link to the Issue Archive.

You get to the issue archive only to discover that in the back issue pages there LOADS of the articles that should be live are greyed out.

Examples - Dungeon #170, #168, #166, #163 (every article greyed out), #169 (Campaign workbook greyed out).

Dragon #378 (4 articles greyed out).

I much prefer the new site in terms of look for the data presentation.

However what is with the absurd amounts of "white" space?

(In reading the following keep in mind that I realise that the web guys had to get the corporate guys to approve it, I'm sure if the web guys had their way it would be better.)

When I load the front page all I see is the advertising, put simply I really don't want to, it is sadly easier to get the new content on my iPhone than it is on my laptop. Or at least it would be if there wasn't a bazillion graphics on the page doing nothing but looking pretty and making it impossible for me to utilise the page on my iPhone. I mean what is the purpose of that dragon at the bottom? To waste bandwidth? Pretty graphics =/= good design.

Now in an effort to be constructive I would much rather see the top third of the page look like the tools page: www.wizards.com/dnd/Tools.aspx than the current front page arrangement.

Also as someone else mentioned above web design really needs to allow for phone users now, doing that is one way of making the site more universally accessible as well.

Ok stupid question, but how do you get to the table of contents for Dragon and Dungeon now? I found a convuluted way to do it earlier, but there has to be an obvious link someplace right?

I second this question.  I had to actually dig to find the table of contents for the current issue of Dragon.  I still haven't been able to reliably find the archives page (though I don't access that nearly as often).  Other than this navigational 'glitch' the site looks very nice; an improvement that was much needed I think.

Also, someone mentioned a subscriptions page for the forums.  Pretty please?  I don't visit nearly as often anymore.  If there were a place to go and see the activity since my last visit however, I might.  As it is, I have to dig (yes, again that word ;)) to find the threads I posted in last time.  Thanks.

/\ Art

RE: forums upgrades, we are prioritizing features right now. We'll announce specifics when they are nailed down. In the meantime, you cans ee your recent activity from your Profile page, and it shows threads you have posted in. I know it's not perfect, but it's handy while we work out alternatives.

Senior Technical Producer, Customer Engagement Systems.

RE: forums upgrades, we are prioritizing features right now. We'll announce specifics when they are nailed down. In the meantime, you cans ee your recent activity from your Profile page, and it shows threads you have posted in. I know it's not perfect, but it's handy while we work out alternatives.

is there, at least, any deadline on when you want to get the nailing down thing done for the first time? i know it's not easy as there are lots of new complaints, bugs and improvements/wishes raining in every day, but you have to do a clear cut every few weeks or this will never be published anywhere.

also, might i suggest putting these news either in the blog of "wizards" or the "wizards community hq"-group, as well as in an official news.

Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.

On the "Player" main page there is a link to the current dragon issue and on "Dungeon Master" you can reach the most recent dungeon. Also in the tools box there is a link the each magazines most recent table of contents. Also you can go to the general archive and click over to the issue archive and see all table of contents.

You get to the issue archive only to discover that in the back issue pages there LOADS of the articles that should be live are greyed out.

someone is looking into that now =) thanx

Also as someone else mentioned above web design really needs to allow for phone users now, doing that is one way of making the site more universally accessible as well.

I will bring this to the attention of the sites UI designer and Producer ... thanx =)

How do you get to the Customer Service page now? It seems to have just disappeared. When I use my old link I get Internal Error 500.

wizards.custhelp.com/

How do we get questions to the customer service now?

Thanks

How do you get to the Customer Service page now? It seems to have just disappeared. When I use my old link I get Internal Error 500.

wizards.custhelp.com/

Thanks

Customer Service link from the footer of the site.

M

wizards.custhelp.com/

Thanks

Customer Service link from the footer of the site.

M

Ah there it is... but I'm still getting.

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

I've tried from multiple computers.

I would still like to see a way to search for the levels for the Dungeon adventures.  Even the blurbs you get when you click on them do not consistantly list the expected adventure levels.  Just a suggestions guys.

Visually, the new site is beautiful. Functionally, everything seems convenient.

The portrait of the Firesoul Genasi Orb Wizard (er, Assassin) is awesome!

Nice little bonus.  When downloading the latest issues of both Dragon & Dungeon, I didn't run into the download.asp file that had been a speed bump before.

So the new site did eliminate one glitch.

Nice little bonus.  When downloading the latest issues of both Dragon & Dungeon, I didn't run into the download.asp file that had been a speed bump before.

So the new site did eliminate one glitch.

Yeah, that is nice.  My PC is getting up there in age now, so I figured I might be one of the few still experiencing that particular speed bump.

Has there always been an option to 'remember me' at the login box?  If there was, I can't remember ever using it.  That's also nice.

I've got my eye open for another machine, prolly gonna be a laptop (or netbook) rather than a desktop (so I can use it during games).  My machine can't accept the newest version of 'flash', so it's really lost some functionality with the site and community redesign.  Alot of sites are using the newest version of flash (Marvel.com, our local radio stations for instance), so the D&D site isn't the only one I struggle with.  The WotC/DnD site is my goto place online.  I've never been one to spend alot of time online but it would be nice to be able to experience things to the fullest again.  I'm babbling ;).

/\ Art

Not to harp, but the subscriptions I'm speaking of are the ones I would receive each morning telling me each new thread and each updated thread in the forums I'm subscribed to. It's a lot faster to scan those e-mails than try to scan through the forums themselves.

I check off (though it would be nice if it were checked by default) where it says "Notify me of new messages posted to this thread," so for the most part, I'm able to follow conversations I'm already involved in. (Though the way my Blackberry Storm has been handling cookies off the Wizards forums for the past few months seems a bit off. I get logged out if I close the browser, so I have to leave it running in the background, otherwise the site doesn't "know" I checked the thread, and I get no further updates on thread activity. This behavior started a few months ago, and continues through today, even though it worked just fine on the same phone for months before that.)

Long Live the Lance! Give us 4e DL!

Hallelujah! I can now click on a link and the file downloads!

Being a Mac Safari user, previously when ever I tried to download a subscription DDI item like an article or the compiled magazine PDF, I would control-click (right-click), select "Download Linked File" and I would get a file called "download-1.asp.html" with the number incrementing each time. I would then have to do the same thing a second time to actually get the PDF to download. I currently have 62 of those download.asp files sitting in my Downloads folder going back to July 17.

But no longer. Click the link and the file downloads. Thank you!

So long as you're a subscriber anyway. I think sticking the art galleries into DDi is a mistake PRwise. The new version is slower for me too, and that's saying something considering how painful the old one was.

I second the art galleries remark. They were one of the best PR for you, and many of the books I have are mostly because of them. It's a shame they are not accessible anymore.

Major two thumbs down. Sorry.

Bravo!  Nice job guys -  a vast improvement.

Man, are you guys out to make all of your websites hard to navigate?  The old website was fine.  I knew where to find the Dragon and Dungeon sections.  Now?  Not so much.  Fail.

Man, are you guys out to make all of your websites hard to navigate?  The old website was fine.  I knew where to find the Dragon and Dungeon sections.  Now?  Not so much.  Fail.

They are easily accessed from just about every page on the site, in the DDI Tools on the right side.

I just think you need some more time to familiarize yourself to the site.  The organization is vastly improved.

I would still like to see a way to search for the levels for the Dungeon adventures.  Even the blurbs you get when you click on them do not consistantly list the expected adventure levels.  Just a suggestions guys.

I second this.  Even putting the level range behind the title of the adventure would be very helpful.

Rename Monument of the Ancients -> Monument of the Ancients (13th level)

They are easily accessed from just about every page on the site, in the DDI Tools on the right side.

I just think you need some more time to familiarize yourself to the site.  The organization is vastly improved.

I've been poking around the new site ever since it launhed and it took me until today to locate the links for Dungeon and Dragon.  I'm sorry but to me that is poor design.  I just don't think the new site NOR the new forums are very intuitive.  But that's just my opinion.  I'm just gonna stick to using the Candlekeep forums and will prbbably cancel my DDI subscription.

I've been poking around the new site ever since it launhed and it took me until today to locate the links for Dungeon and Dragon.  I'm sorry but to me that is poor design.  I just don't think the new site NOR the new forums are very intuitive.  But that's just my opinion.  I'm just gonna stick to using the Candlekeep forums and will prbbably cancel my DDI subscription.

what took you so long?  To click either player or DM and then on the side "Current Issue"?  and along side that both links for the archives?

I think now they are laid out in a more intuitive fashion.  I liken this change to me XP to vista swtich.  Everything is still there just a few different ways to get at it.  No need to be all in a huff about it.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

what took you so long?  To click either player or DM and then on the side "Current Issue"?  and along side that both links for the archives?

I think now they are laid out in a more intuitive fashion.  I liken this change to me XP to vista swtich.  Everything is still there just a few different ways to get at it.  No need to be all in a huff about it.

So you are saying the website redsign was a horrible horrible idea then? (dang it I miss the old smileys, pretend the ??? one is here) :p

Seriously, I have yet to meet a single person who likes Vista in real life. :p
Sign In to post comments