Sith Holonews Network - Episode 1

Ok so if you missed the terrific interview with Jim Fraser aka Moses2813 tonight you can follow the link:

swmgamers.com/page.php?29

Download it there.  Be sure and don't miss next weeks show with The VCL from here Jack Irons aka Ironlightsaber.  It is sure to be a terrific show.

Remember tune in and call in to the show and you can ask your questions live on the show.

Thanks to everyone who was there tonight and participated.  A big thanks to Jim, Bill and Chuck for making this show a reality.  This is something I have been working towards for over 18 months and I greatly appreciate all the help in making it happen finally!!!!

team revan Collection: 801/801 SWM DCI Content Manager sith holonews network

Thanks!

AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...

by the way folks I just checked the stats we had 31 folks listening live last night!!! Thanks for such a great turn out on the first show!!!

It was a great show with great questions and great answers.  A real informative and entertaining hour of internet radio.  I look forward to the next episode.  It's just a shame it's only happening once a week, I'm sure you guys have tons of stuff to talk about.  Thanks for all your effort in putting such a great thing together.

It was a good time.  I think that there were a tad too many topics at the end and so there wasn't much of a chance to talk about any one in detail.  Maybe that was intentional.  I know you guys had an agenda, but its ok to have things develop more organically if the quality goes up.  The last fews topics were definitely rushed.

It would be nice in the future to perhaps have a list of topics to be discussed published ahead of time. This way people might be able to prepare questions in advance rather than do it on the fly.  Also it might be helpful to have questions sent in via email ahead of time that could be added to interviews and such.

One thing that was a bit dissapointing that I didn't realized until mid-way through the call was that I couldn't voice chat through the web site without actually dialing in.  While this is probably not an issue for most people, for me my actual phone that I"d be dialing out with happens to be my Skype client, which didn't want to play nice with the text chatting web site.  So perhaps next time I'll text chat from one computer and dialin from a different.  I think Dean had mentioned that you need the pro-version of the Talkshoe client in order to chat live, that's also another possiblity.

But all in all I liked the show and eagerly anticipate the next.

The Talkshoe.com pro version which you download is a stand alone program.  It works well but here is the hook.  It is free and costs nothing!!!!

Just make sure if using it you turn off the streaming at the bottom otherwise when you speak it will echo badly.

Well darn free is right up my price range...I might have to just do that

It would be nice in the future to perhaps have a list of topics to be discussed published ahead of time. This way people might be able to prepare questions in advance rather than do it on the fly.  Also it might be helpful to have questions sent in via email ahead of time that could be added to interviews and such.

One thing that was a bit dissapointing that I didn't realized until mid-way through the call was that I couldn't voice chat through the web site without actually dialing in.  While this is probably not an issue for most people, for me my actual phone that I"d be dialing out with happens to be my Skype client, which didn't want to play nice with the text chatting web site.  So perhaps next time I'll text chat from one computer and dialin from a different.  I think Dean had mentioned that you need the pro-version of the Talkshoe client in order to chat live, that's also another possiblity.

But all in all I liked the show and eagerly anticipate the next.

I like that the questions weren't "prepped." As someone who hosted his own news radio show for 5 years, prepped interviews often feel fake. There were times I sent a "tentative" set of questions for review, but I always made sure to ask follow-up questions and throw in other questions based on the guest's answers so that the conversation felt a little more casual. I don't see how this should be treated any differently.

Regarding Skype, I had it running in the background during the show and I didn't have any trouble hearing the speakers.

Good show. Loved the segment with the Godfather.

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Good job.

It was ssubstantially better than I expected (I am not intending this as a back handed compliment just acknowledging that this is a difficult thing to pull off).  I am with BTD on this in that questions seem to me better off not being scripted.  It helps that you can screen the questions coming in to ensure they are interesting and relevant to the show.

I actually liked the non-radio feel of the show.  As much as I like radio when amatures try to pull it off it usually sounds like a terrible version of "Inside Edition".  The Godfather was a great first guest.  He was able to fill a lot of air time without blathering.  He will be tough to follow. 

All in all a great effort, I can't wait for next week to hear ILS get skewered...I mean interviewed.

Great show guys. I had time to dl and listen today. Will Lou be part of ep2? I want to hear him over the interwebs again. He did a great job at Gencon.

The show went well other than my call in. Lou has fooball coaching in the fall so for the next few weeks they will be with out Mr.lou. Nice picture

Thanks for correcting the record, Dean.  I would hate to have to kneecap the Godfather for calling us sooners. ;)  At least he didnt call us Texans. :P

Great show guys.

Great Showed loved it a lot and I will continue to tune in. I would have to agree with having the topics in advanced for listeners to write in questions ahead of time and that the end was a little rushed. But overall it was great keep up the work!

Kudos

Great Showed loved it a lot and I will continue to tune in. I would have to agree with having the topics in advanced for listeners to write in questions ahead of time and that the end was a little rushed. But overall it was great keep up the work!

Kudos

To the first point - there is nothing stopping you from preparing any question ahead of time.  We do not need them ahead to respond.  In fact, we want our answers to be more off the cuff, it keeps it a more refreshing and casual feel which is what we are going for.  We aren't professional radio guys, we are simply normal guys who love minis, know a bit about it, and most importantly, love sitting around talking about it.  So by all means, prepare a question before hand and bring it to the show.  That goes for questions for us, or for the guests.  We won't be scripting it ever.

But to the idea that the "topics" might be given out ahead of time, well I can do that to some extent.  For example, this week the guest will be Jack Irons.  Think about what you would like to ask Jack about.  He is the VCL, a longtime member of the boards, co-writes the Strategy Showcases, and a major contributor to the customs board.  We will be talking about those things with him. 

As for further topics, well that really is open.  So seriously, anything you want to ask is fair game.  If you want to talk about Hando, ask about him.  If you want help with a squad idea, ask it.  If you want to know why Dean smokes a pack a day, ask him.  We plan to have a couple of ideas of things we might talk about just to keep things going, but we really want it to be more interactive, in that for at least part of the show, you guys the audience control the content of what we talk about.  Trust me, if it's SWMs related, Dean and I can talk about it

The end was a bit rushed.  Jim had a lot to say, and we went well over the 30-45 minutes we scheduled him for.  Part of that is being a new show, but most of it was wanting Jim to keep talking becuase he has a lot of good things to say and the people want to hear it   In the future, I don't expect to go over 30 minutes with a guest in most cases, and we will have shows without a special guest on purpose simply to have more time to devote to debates and so on.  Unlike real radio though, we can keep a good segment going as long as we want, and in this case, there was no reason to cut Jim any shorter than we did.

The end was a bit rushed.  Jim had a lot to say, and we went well over the 30-45 minutes we scheduled him for.  Part of that is being a new show, but most of it was wanting Jim to keep talking becuase he has a lot of good things to say and the people want to hear it   In the future, I don't expect to go over 30 minutes with a guest in most cases, and we will have shows without a special guest on purpose simply to have more time to devote to debates and so on.  Unlike real radio though, we can keep a good segment going as long as we want, and in this case, there was no reason to cut Jim any shorter than we did.

I think the logical solution is letting the guest go however long is necessary, but then just cut back on end of show topics.  You don't have to hit all topics.

To the first point - there is nothing stopping you from preparing any question ahead of time.  We do not need them ahead to respond.  In fact, we want our answers to be more off the cuff, it keeps it a more refreshing and casual feel which is what we are going for.  We aren't professional radio guys, we are simply normal guys who love minis, know a bit about it, and most importantly, love sitting around talking about it.  So by all means, prepare a question before hand and bring it to the show.  That goes for questions for us, or for the guests.  We won't be scripting it ever.

Bill,

Just to clarify the point of my question on the show about having a sort of list of topics was less about giving you guys loaded questions you can prepare for in advance to answer and more about knowing what you guys are talking about so I as a listener can ask more knowledgeable questions.

For example when you got into the roundt able discussion on GAW I was scrambling to pull up all of the spoiler information on it and the pieces discussed so I could better understand the discussion and come up with questions of my own.  Had I personally known that would be a topic of discussion I would have been more prepared as a listner to ask questions on the shower and participate more with the show.

I like the way you guys had split the show up into four 15 minute segments basically.  It seemed like you guys had an agenda of how you wanted the show to flow, what topics you wanted to discuss (at least on a general level) and you were able to move from one topic to the next. Having known an overview of those topics would have been helpful as a listner...sort of like a teaser for the show.  It might also be helpful for people who might not neccessarily be able to listen to the whole show live so they can tune in for the segment that they want to participate in.

Just a few thoughts on it that's all.  As I said before I think the show was very well done and will only get better the more you guys do it and I look forward to this weeks show.  Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this.  I appreciate it and from the response you guys are getting it looks like a lot of other people do as well and that's great.

Just to clarify the point of my question on the show about having a sort of list of topics was less about giving you guys loaded questions you can prepare for in advance to answer and more about knowing what you guys are talking about so I as a listener can ask more knowledgeable questions.

For example when you got into the roundt able discussion on GAW I was scrambling to pull up all of the spoiler information on it and the pieces discussed so I could better understand the discussion and come up with questions of my own.  Had I personally known that would be a topic of discussion I would have been more prepared as a listner to ask questions on the shower and participate more with the show.

Ah ok, I completely misread your original point. 

Ok, I will see what I can do about some of that.  First, there are some general things that we will talk about on a regular basis.  Spoilers are one of those.  So any new, sorta new spoilers will likely be something worth talking about.  Obviously as any big events in the life of our community come up, such as DCI updates, new FAQs, set releases and so forth, you can always expect to hear about and can prepare for. 

As for this week's show in particular, we will be talking with Jack about the board changes, it's effect on the community, what he is currently working on, and what we can expect to see going forward.  So if you don't like the board, or would like to ask Jack about some changes, etc, or love it, come on the air and tell him.  This is your chance as a community to speak directly to the VCL of Doom, Ironlightsaber!

In the case of a main topic for the latter segments of the show, I am looking at talking about the new Anakin, Ashoka, Kenobi and their effects on melee attackers specifically.  I will be starting another thread in about 2 minutes on General (and on Gamers and Bloomilk) to get some of that conversation going.  I think looking at melee vs. non-melee is a high point of contention for this community, and has been for the entire life of the game.  So I think it's a very interesting topic to bridge at this time.

In the case of a main topic for the latter segments of the show, I am looking at talking about the new Anakin, Ashoka, Kenobi and their effects on melee attackers specifically.  I will be starting another thread in about 2 minutes on General (and on Gamers and Bloomilk) to get some of that conversation going.  I think looking at melee vs. non-melee is a high point of contention for this community, and has been for the entire life of the game.  So I think it's a very interesting topic to bridge at this time.

Hmm...maybe you could read some of the more interesting responses you get on the show. I'm definitely going to try and tune in for this one this week. Also, I think a vague talking points sort of preview each week is a good idea.
My old signatures are gone!!

Just finished listening to the first show, I really enjoyed it. Kudos

Sign In to post comments