Book Compatibility

I'm sorry if this is already posted but with 109 pages you can skip over some. My question is The tall RPG books, they are D20 just like the newer ones, can I run the old big books, with the new smaller style books? Seeing as how they are both D20 systems.

I'm sorry if this is already posted but with 109 pages you can skip over some. My question is The tall RPG books, they are D20 just like the newer ones, can I run the old big books, with the new smaller style books? Seeing as how they are both D20 systems.

Not really.

The "tall RPG book" are the old SWRPG and probably what we call the Original or Revised Core Rules (OCR or RCR) and are out of print and no longer supported.  The current "square" books are for the SAGA Edition (SWSE or SAGA).  Both systems use the same dice (including that d20) and have SIMILIAR mechanics but are very different in enough areas that they really aren't that compatible.

Now for the most part you can take any of the "fluff" from the old books and use them with the current rules.  If you aren't familiar with the term "fluff" is basically all the storytelling aspects of the game which have nothing to do with actually PLAYING the game's mechanics.

StevenO's right, of course.  The games are very different, in ways both obvious and rather subtle.  I recommend going with Saga Edition (the newer, square books), but both have their supporters around these parts.

You can convert/rebuild material from the OCR/RCR books (if you have them) for use into SE fairly easily using this pdf file: RCR to SE conversion guide

What has been said though is correct - without modification/conversion, the books cannot be used together...

ok, thanks I was need to know because I was going to get the old revised Core Rulebook for $20 and so now I know to just get SAGA. And yes i'm familliar with "fluff" i play warhammer 40k. lol

Sign In to post comments